Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2014, 20:49   #1771
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad: Updates on traffic - diversions, road expansions, alternate routes, et

Last saturday had visited to Saket (off A.S Roa Nagar/Sainikpuri).

While coming back it was raining heavily and just near Radhika theatre and towards Triumulgherry, the road for about 1km was completely in shambles

I mean, it was not potholes or bumps. It was worse than craters that you find on moon ( not that i have been there but, heard they are bad)
Old 6th September 2014, 04:59   #1772
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad: Updates on traffic - diversions, road expansions, alternate routes, et

Now this is shocking.

Hyderabad roads not fit for use.

source link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/41740800.cms

Quote:
HYDERABAD: Most of Hyderabad's roads are not fit for use. At least that's what the rule book of the Indian Roads Congress (IRC) says. Right from the material used to lay these roads, to their thickness and even the base on which they are built, are all in complete violation of the parameters issued by this national body, constituted in 1934 for better road management in the country.

Ironically, even engineers of the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC), responsible for this job, confess that the city roads do not meet the IRC standards. They, however, conveniently pass the buck on to politicians and the aam aadmi. "It is true that the existing roads are not up to the mark. But that's because of excessive political and public pressure. There are too many objections raised by either residents of the area, where a particular road is being laid, or by the local leaders. While trying to accommodate the wishes of everybody, the GHMC ends of doing a shoddy job," was the specious argument of S Venkatramana, executive engineer. He, however, was quick to add that the civic body had already commissioned three road projects in the city that would strictly adhere to the IRC norms.

Experts, though, aren't amused. Rubbishing this claim of the GHMC, they squarely blame the corporation officials for throwing the IRC guidelines to the wind in their eagerness to please the contractors. "The same road is laid again and again only to fill the pockets of a certain contractor. They are never penalized and their extremely poor quality of work is never questioned," lamented C Ramachandraiah of Citizens for Better Public Transport in Hyderabad. Experts also pointed out that the inclusion of the 'road doctor' in the GHMC 'team', at a cost of Rs 30 lakh per zone, is also aimed at assisting a private party to make a few quick (and big) bucks.

"We do not need an equipment like this, if we build proper roads ," insisted Larry Hatch, vice-president of Roadkraft, a city-based NGO that is currently working on bringing down the rate of deaths caused due to road accidents by 20% in Telangana by 2018. To check corruption, Hatch stressed the need for a "contractor clause" to ensure that the quality of a road does not deteriorate for at least five years. "The contract should state that any repair during this period should be attended to by the contractor himself," he said.

Incidentally, the GHMC at present has a three-tier checking system in place to keep tabs on the quality of roads. It is first checked by field-level engineers and followed by members of its quality control wing. Finally, it is passed by a third party checking team, comprising either of independent experts or established organisations. Another major cause of concern is that the thickness of these roads is still way less than the 300 mm prescribed by the IRC and the concentration of bitumen (used as the glue or binder in the mix) is extremely inadequate. The crumbling roads, experts note, are at the core of the traffic chaos in Hyderabad.

"Apart from BT (bitumen) roads, even the cement concrete or CC roads are not laid in accordance with IRC regulations, which specify certain standards based on traffic density of the road. Normally, contractors here use M 15-20 grade material for these roads, where the IRC insists on the use of a higher grade material. Similarly, the base on which these roads are laid are not given much importance, as a result of which roads get washed away easily," explained Prof Ramana Rao, a civil engineering.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 16:39   #1773
BHPian

Good initiative by GHMC and/or Traffic Police. They have erected good signboards to indicate the new Balkampet - HPS Begumpet flyover .
On a related note, is there a way to reach Jubilee Hills Road no. 45 or Madhapur police station from Westin (Inside Raheja Mindspace)?
I know there is a route from Westin to Image hospital but that Road no. 36 is in shambles , thanks to L&T Metro work.
Old 22nd September 2014, 19:28   #1774
BHPian

@Manduvindupondu - awesome handle!
There are two routes one is to exit from the raheja-inorbit road and the other is the lane next to westin, you can connect to the road near the colors and flavors restaurant.
Old 29th September 2014, 07:35   #1775
BHPian

Thanks Acclero, will try the colors and flavors route.
Old 30th September 2014, 05:25   #1776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VedderTheFixer View Post
Guys, anyone from Sainikpuri / Safilguda around? I read that the Army is going to close down the stretch leading from Shenoy Nursing Home to AOC Circle & also the one from Secunderabad Club to the circle.

While there's no uncertainty about the chaos this will cause, i'm left wondering how on earth they intend to do that , it will be inconvenient to say the least for people who live there and commuters who have been riding through for years in the past.

Does anyone have more on this?

Here is the latest update on the above issue

Source link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/43567888.cms

Quote:
HYDERABAD: The Hyderabad High Court on Friday declared that Army was well within its powers to regulate traffic in Secunderabad Cantonment area but should ask civic authorities to make alternative arrangements before blocking the roads.
Justice P Naveen Rao directed civic authorities including the GHMC to make full-fledged arrangements expeditiously for alternative road network so that civilians need not use the roads belonging to Army in cantonment area.

The report on alternative routes shall be placed before this court within two months.

Justice Rao Naveen Rao passed an elaborate order and agreed with army officials who said the petitioners who filed the case really do not undergo any suffering as they live far off. The judge stated: "the Army authorities have imposed restrictions in a phased manner and such decision cannot be held as arbitrary." He gave two months time to civic authorities to expand and strengthen alternative routes.
Old 30th September 2014, 11:37   #1777
Senior - BHPian

Based on the High Court order, can someone please point out the routes that will be affected? It would help the members on this forum.

Meantime, I was surprised to note today that the entire route I take from Panjagutta to Inorbit Mall via J Hills Check post was re-laid wherever there were bad patches. Even the infamous sidewall cutting manhole cover opposite TOI office near Nagarjuna Circle has been rendered harmless. The road work extends to Rd # 36, the road from Madhapur PS to PBEL City office, and the renowned DC road.

Kudos to GHMC for their good work.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 21:40   #1778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Kudos to GHMC for their good work.
And to top it, all this was done in express time. I think most of the work was done in the night.

Now major concern is Sri Nagar Colony and the stretch from Maitrivanam to Punjagutta. The Metro work has really narrowed down the road.
autotranny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 22:15   #1779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
And to top it, all this was done in express time. I think most of the work was done in the night.

Now major concern is Sri Nagar Colony and the stretch from Maitrivanam to Punjagutta. The Metro work has really narrowed down the road.
it is not fair to consider Metro works, as they go from stretch to stretch, and we need to bear with that nuisance for another 2 years at least.

BTW, are you saying that the main road from north to south of Srinagar Colony is still in shambles? That is sad to know!
Old 30th September 2014, 23:50   #1780
BHPian

Quote:
Meantime, I was surprised to note today that the entire route I take from Panjagutta to Inorbit Mall via J Hills Check post was re-laid wherever there were bad patches. Even the infamous sidewall cutting manhole cover opposite TOI office near Nagarjuna Circle has been rendered harmless. The road work extends to Rd # 36, the road from Madhapur PS to PBEL City office, and the renowned DC road.
Quote:
All this for the forthcoming metropolis meet (World Conference of Mayors). Otherwise, they would not have taken up any work.
Old 1st October 2014, 13:40   #1781
BHPian

Anyone planning to visit the Durga Puja Pandals at Keyes High School or R K Mutt. What are the parking options available at both these places ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
All this for the forthcoming metropolis meet (World Conference of Mayors). Otherwise, they would not have taken up any work.
The Metropolis is happening at HITEX Convention Centres from Oct 6-10. So whilst, you will see roads being repaired and flower pots back on the medians,
be prepared for some traffic snarls around the Kondapur-Hitec City area.

I remember now that the roads surrounding Hitec City MMTS, i.e the one that leads to Indu fortune is also being readied.
Old 1st October 2014, 14:06   #1782
Senior - BHPian

I had to go to Trimulgherry RTO today to get my DL renewed. I was averse to the idea of driving via Begumpet, so thought of going on a scooter. Unluckily, my kids had taken both the 2-wheelers, leaving me with no option but to take a car.

But boy-o-boy, I was in for a surprise! It was smooth sailing both ways. It hardly took me 20 to 25 minutes to commute the 11 km distance! Looks like we'll enjoy such roads till the long weekend is over. Even the RTO was hardly crowded, and I got my work done in 25 minutes.

So guys, if you wanna check if your 5th gear is still working, venture out on the next few days with gusto!
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 16:53   #1783
SDK
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone planning to visit the Durga Puja Pandals at Keyes High School or R K Mutt. What are the parking options available at both these places ?
Just back from visiting both puja pandals.
For Keyes high school there is ample parking inside St. Mary's school as also the lane next to Keyes school.

At Ramkrishna mutt I was able to park at the road side parking. Not sure in the evenings when the rush would increase a lot.
Parking fees : Rs. 20 each at both places.
Old 1st October 2014, 23:03   #1784
BHPian

Quote:
I had to go to Trimulgherry RTO today to get my DL renewed. I was averse to the idea of driving via Begumpet, so thought of going on a scooter. Unluckily, my kids had taken both the 2-wheelers, leaving me with no option but to take a car.

But boy-o-boy, I was in for a surprise! It was smooth sailing both ways. It hardly took me 20 to 25 minutes to commute the 11 km distance! Looks like we'll enjoy such roads till the long weekend is over. Even the RTO was hardly crowded, and I got my work done in 25 minutes.

So guys, if you wanna check if your 5th gear is still working, venture out on the next few days with gusto!
What was the time when you travelled towards Trimulgherry via Begumpet? The peak hours on this route would start at 5.00 p.m and continue upto 9.00 p.m.
Old 1st October 2014, 23:42   #1785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
What was the time when you travelled towards Trimulgherry via Begumpet? The peak hours on this route would start at 5.00 p.m and continue upto 9.00 p.m.
My post was at 1405 hours, so obviously it was before that!

I went at 11 am and returned at around 1230.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks