Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2017, 19:43   #13531
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Here you go:

Attachment 1606874
Thanks to Google I missed this mess. Had to leave office a little later than my usual time and google was already suggesting massive diversions. To add to this, there was some problem near Graphite India Junction today so had to take a nice detour inside Hoodi village, KR Pura, Old airport Road and managed to reach home in a not so bad 1:45mins.

Not sure if the bridge was shut down or it was running below capacity.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 19:48   #13532
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
I just checked Google map. It shows you can take a right turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Coming from Adugodi side, the right turn is indeed possible.
Thanks guys, yes the right turn is still indeed open. The best part was the timing - managed to reach my destination near Udupi garden junction in just 20 minutes from C V Raman Nagar, this was around 8am
I think we narrowly escaped Indiranagar-Koramangala traffic just before it started building up!
Old 10th February 2017, 19:55   #13533
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to Google I missed this mess.
A big rescuer Googlemaps is today that I trust less on the Tarot card reader or an astrologer but immensely trust these maps, especially for my office commute.

With the density of users connected to Data and GPS, the sample is high and so is the accuracy in prediction.

However, there were 3 cases where we could easily notice the way the maps worked and showed us "Jams" with that dark red line on the road we were leading to or were already there
  • Instance 1: After ascending from Chamundi hills, we were to hit a hotel for lunch and I noticed maps displaying a congestion soon after a right turn it was indicating us to take. I was wondering looking at the flow of traffic as to what possibly can cause a jam there till I turned right and saw what it was -

City Traffic cops flagging down cars coming from Calicut Side. There were at least 6 cars pulled over and owners busy showing documents. No wonder, this sample of 6 cars moving and all of them coming to a halt as the cops flagged them down here was treated as a "Jam" by the maps.

• Instance 2: In Goa, Attending a monsoon drive organized by a popular forum on FB and we were around 60 cars. We were directed to reach a particular location for evening snacks through a dropped pin shared on WhatsApp. So it was fun to watch this whole length of 60 odd cars driving following maps and maps displaying this as Amber (and red some times)

• Instance 3: This was most interesting & happened in Delhi when we boarded an OLA for NOIDA. Right after the border after Delhi, cops from UP flagged us down for document check and they continued to do so or all the cabs entering from Delhi side into NOIDA (UP). In around 10 minutes, there were 4 cabs and siting inside the cab we noticed that Google has converted this otherwise regular road with hardly any traffic into a Jam for that small section
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 06:54   #13534
Distinguished - BHPian

Good news for airport travellers as well as decongesting Hebbal! Nagawara to KIAL road to open shortly.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/57090318.cms

However couple of points is that the new route will take longer because of numerous signals plus general mixed traffic plus interesting to see how KIAL manages the traffic at their internal roundabout.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 07:51   #13535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
However, there were 3 cases where we could easily notice the way the maps worked and showed us "Jams" with that dark red line on the road we were leading to or were already there
What Google's showing are "delays", not "jams". Delays needn't always due to jams - DUI or other checks, detours, construction activity, slow moving convoys all can lead to delays. The one thing they can't do I guess is to know that a particular delay affects only a subset of vehicles (outstation vehicles, members of a tour group, taxis...) so they assume the worst.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 23:29   #13536
BHPian

Today I had a horrible experience while driving in Kormangala. I was coming back in the morning after dropping my friend there. Near a speed breaker, an autowala guy cuts me across from left, just in front of my car and slows down quickly. I did not anticipate this and brake suddenly. In all probability my car just touched slightly the auto from behind. I took off, thinking its okay and nothing major.

What happens next just blew off my fuse. I proceed to the signal, and this auto guy comes, and cuts me across from right (like they show in the movies), crashes into my front fender towards right corner and scratches it badly (I saw this later, when I came to home). Comes to my window and starts shouting.

I ask him, if he has to argue, let's cross the signal and we will argue. My blood was boiling from inside, and it was a risky manoeuvre. It was a signal, and that is why I was slow. Had he done this if I was in a speed, this would have resulted into a serious crash with injuries.

Then he starts arguing with me. I tell him that it was his mistake, and anyways, there was absolutely no damage to auto in the first incident. He is adamant and does not agree. This just enrages me. The auto guy is adamant on getting paid, despite no damage to his auto from first incident (The second incident was done by him intentionally). Fortunately there was another friend with me who calms down the situation, and we leave after haggling around 15-20 minutes. We did not pay any money to the auto guy.

I come to home, and I see my car's fender scratched badly. This blew off my blood pressure again, and I regret, that why did I not thrash the auto guy. Now I realize how bad road rage can be. Despite no mistake of mine, I get my car scratched intentionally, and then I have the auto guy shouting over me.

Interesting thing- there was a passenger in auto, who despite having no involvement and no stake whatsoever, was just poking his nose around in issue. In fact he was the one who was putting fuel into fire.

There has been another incident like this, when we panic braked behind a Polo near Yeswantpur Junction (That day we were driving a Zoomcar XUV500). The driver of Polo was drunk and he created a scene in the middle of traffic because he thought we had banged his car. I got down and saw, there was no evidence of even touching the car. Thankfully, we came out of that argument with out any fights or so.

The common thing that I observed in both incidents- I stay in Bangalore. I speak hindi which gives away that I'm not a local. People think they can bully me on road because I do not speak kannada and I'm not a local. Which is pretty bad attitude. And I do not want to mince my words here. The autowala thinks he can extort money from me, despite no mistake of mine. I only hope such people get better senses.

Disclaimer- I am a relatively new driver (Close to 5 months now), that only makes me doubly cautious when I drive on crowded roads.
LordSharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 18:32   #13537
BHPian

IMHO, in the interest of cooling tempers down, it would be prudent to apologize if one senses that the other party is offended and even otherwise. I have seen many cases where a simple apology / "I did not mean any harm or offense gesture" calms down the parties involved and they continue with their business as if nothing has happened. Traffic fights can get very ugly. Proving that one is right and other is wrong is definitely not the prudent thing to do when faced with flared tempers. If you have a dash cam and / or witness to support you and if you feel the other party was at fault, you could always pursue it legally later.
MinivanDriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 09:28   #13538
Distinguished - BHPian

I took the ORR to work today after a long time. As I came out of the Kadubisanahalli underpass towards Marathahalli, there was this guy with a smartphone on the rightmost lane around two feet away from the median taking picture of something I did not or could not make out. Forget what he was trying to capture, but he himself was worthy of getting captured for the now obvious 'Moron of the day' title. His presence was very not at all obvious, since there are some bushes on the median and his clothes were almost of the same colour.

Looks like smartphones are making people more and more dumb by the day. Had I been in my regular pace on this road, I would have run over this guy to be frank. This is a stretch where the slowpokes get stuck on the underpass ramp and I get to break free till the next hump near marathahalli. Since today was monday and I had reset the FE indicator yesterday, I was quite calm and sedate. Not sure where such idiots spawn from.
Old 13th February 2017, 09:46   #13539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Good news for airport travellers as well as decongesting Hebbal! Nagawara to KIAL road to open shortly.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/57090318.cms

However couple of points is that the new route will take longer because of numerous signals plus general mixed traffic plus interesting to see how KIAL manages the traffic at their internal roundabout.
This route will definitely help the folks travelling from Whitefield. Earlier we had to do a roundabout where one had to reach Devanahalli village and then land up on Bellary road and approach the airport from the other side.

This change will cut the distance in half. Can't wait for this to be opened .
Old 13th February 2017, 10:12   #13540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks for the update. While i was in Bangalore from Aug 21st till Sep 19th, I remember reading an article in TOI advocating alternate routes to reach BIAL. One of those routes from Whitefield as origin was passing via Hoskote area, parallel to the Hyderabad highway. This route finally merged with the Hyderabad highway at Devanahalli village, north of the existing entry and exit points.

But what I was not sure about was if there is any other entry or exit point to the east or south of the airport, so that one need not go all the way to the current ones that are on the Hyd highway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Nopes, currently KIA has only entry and exit which is the existing trumpet flyover. However, GoK and local GP leaders have recently been talking of another gate on the south-west (bottom left) corner which will be developed as an alternative access point.

There is another option on the Hoskote Malur Road side near SH104 which looks unlikely as T2 and new apron area is coming up right on that access path. At best that will grant access to a Cargo Village but not to the KIA terminal buildings themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
This route will definitely help the folks travelling from Whitefield. Earlier we had to do a roundabout where one had to reach Devanahalli village and then land up on Bellary road and approach the airport from the other side.

This change will cut the distance in half. Can't wait for this to be opened .
Looks like my earlier point has finally been answered. Great move to open up a new entrance to the airport! Hopefully it will reduce the burden on the Hyderabad highway.
Old 13th February 2017, 10:41   #13541
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Can't wait for this to be opened .
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Looks like my earlier point has finally been answered. Great move to open up a new entrance to the airport! Hopefully it will reduce the burden on the Hyderabad highway.
Looks like it has been opened based on this advisory of BTP
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-btpaero.jpg  

procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 10:52   #13542
Distinguished - BHPian

Can someone throw light on 'Public vehicles not allowed towards International Airport between hebbal and MVIT'? Are they shutting down the hyderabad highway in this stretch?

I need to visit Aero India this Friday or Thursday. I guess everyone should take the alternate route and not via Airport road if I read the notification correctly.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 11:30   #13543
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
What Google's showing are "delays", not "jams". Delays needn't always due to jams - DUI or other checks, detours, construction activity, slow moving convoys all can lead to delays. The one thing they can't do I guess is to know that a particular delay affects only a subset of vehicles (outstation vehicles, members of a tour group, taxis...) so they assume the worst.
"I got delayed due to slow moving traffic"

"I got delayed due to a Pile-up"

"I got delayed due to a Traffic Jam"

So when I said Jam - It indeed means all of this. Google cannot differentiate between a Jam or a slow moving traffic, obviously.

The delay hence is only a tangible element of such a pile up that the maps shows.
Old 13th February 2017, 13:52   #13544
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone throw light on 'Public vehicles not allowed towards International Airport between hebbal and MVIT'? Are they shutting down the hyderabad highway in this stretch?

I need to visit Aero India this Friday or Thursday. I guess everyone should take the alternate route and not via Airport road if I read the notification correctly.
That is what it looks like. This is unprecedented and will cause complete chaos to people staying in Sahakarnagar, Jakkur, Yelahanka and the Doddaballabpur Road area!
Old 13th February 2017, 14:34   #13545
Distinguished - BHPian

Please note:

Cars stop to see rehearsing jets at air base, jam Ballari road

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/57117901.cms

Last edited by itwasntme : 13th February 2017 at 14:35. Reason: Typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks