Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2016, 11:15   #11791
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

I think I will stay back in office today. Not going home I guess looking at the backlog of traffic already. No point in spending hours to go home sleep and return tomorrow. Whoever planned this should be shot
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 12:23   #11792
BHPian

I Started from Elite Ford service center at 10:30am today and reached Kadubesnahalli by 12:10. traffic is dead slow. Better not to delve into ORR today
Old 20th June 2016, 14:14   #11793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Just encountered this - brace for a big man made disaster today evening. And if it rains God help all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Had seen this mess on Saturday evening. Even at that time there was a small jam.

Just passing in the opposite direction. As of now traffic backed up from Ecospace all the way to Kadubeesanahalli underpass. Expect chaos in the evening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
saw this of Facebook hence sharing here

Source - Arun Ramaswamy - Facebook HVK group
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
I Started from Elite Ford service center at 10:30am today and reached Kadubesnahalli by 12:10. traffic is dead slow. Better not to delve into ORR today
Well, the BDA has taken up the drainage work between Devarabisanahalli flyover and Bellandur flyover, and has estimated 3-4 weeks for completion! I don't know whether to feel good or bad about this!
Old 20th June 2016, 17:41   #11794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I think I will stay back in office today. Not going home I guess looking at the backlog of traffic already. No point in spending hours to go home sleep and return tomorrow. Whoever planned this should be shot
I used to think about it many days as I travel from office back to home just to get tired and be flat in bed. Then next day alarm wakes me up and shoots back to office. Office - traffic - bed - traffic - office - traffic -.. and I realize 1 week is gone. And Saturday, Sunday goes taking rest !! On top of everything, cost cutting and issues in office!!
Old 20th June 2016, 18:31   #11795
Senior - BHPian

I had the opportunity to travel towards whitefield for a meet last friday. Seeing the comments about traffic situation on ORR in this thread, started a bit early by 7 20 ish but was surprised to see not so much traffic and reach my destination, KTPO around 8 05 AM. Got the real taste of the traffic though in the evening. Left the place at around 4 30 and it took be a good 2 hours to reach BTM layout where I had to drop a colleague. Reaching home took me another 30 mins from there. I pity all of you folks who drive along this route daily. From that day I made up my mind to not curse traffic along my route to EC. I hope I never have to work on that part of town!

Couple of snaps taken at a railway crossing (dont remember the place). I just reached this junction when the gates were being closed and could see just how mindless people can be. All two wheelers (and mind you almost 90% were educated idiots wearing those IT company tags) just came and blocked the entrances on both sides. It took a good 2-3 mins for me to start moving once the gates opened as I had to allow all these idiot 2 wheelers to clear the mess. I was actually surprised to see a taxi behind me stay put and not honk or try to bully his way out.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_4555.jpg
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 18:36   #11796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Couple of snaps taken at a railway crossing (dont remember the place).
Looks like Chinnapanahalli. Had once got stuck for 45 minutes at the gate. :-(
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 18:56   #11797
Distinguished - BHPian

In other news, I made it home within usual time by doing some heavy route deviations. Left whitefield at 5 and reached home at 6:40. Office - Graphite India - ABB Junction - Airbus building - Goshala road - Mahadevpura - ISRO Junction - Old Airport road - Yamalur road - Bellandur lake - Outer ring road - Agara - Madiwala Market - Silk board - BTM - JP Nagat - Jaynagara - Banashankari

Quote:
I had the opportunity to travel towards whitefield for a meet last friday.

Couple of snaps taken at a railway crossing (dont remember the place). I just reached this junction when the gates were being closed and could see just how mindless people can be. All two wheelers (and mind you almost 90% were educated idiots wearing those IT company tags) just came and blocked the entrances on both sides. It took a good 2-3 mins for me to start moving once the gates opened as I had to allow all these idiot 2 wheelers to clear the mess. I was actually surprised to see a taxi behind me stay put and not honk or try to bully his way out.

Attachment 1519466
Welcome to our world. But I think you took quite awhile to reach home. If I leave office at 430 I usually reach home before 6. At this time I avoid the railway crossing and go to Rainbow hospital. The railway crossing is screwed up because educated folks think they can race ahead of others and get to the gate and be the first one to cross it, sadly people from the other side too have the same logic. If only they had better common sense. But one good thing here is the local goons now guard this area and regulate traffic. Trust me, they are the saviors. They literally thrash people back to the queue. Much appreciated. If only every Junction had such people
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 19:34   #11798
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Office - Graphite India - ABB Junction - Airbus building - Goshala road - Mahadevpura - ISRO Junction - Old Airport road - Yamalur road - Bellandur lake - Outer ring road - Agara - Madiwala Market - Silk board - BTM - JP Nagat - Jaynagara - Banashankari
Wow, interesting route indeed!
From ISRO junction on ORR, you reached Bellandur junction of the same ORR via Old Airport Road, Yamalur
I presume this way you escaped the BDA work in progress section on the ORR ?
Old 20th June 2016, 19:44   #11799
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Wow, interesting route indeed!
I presume this way you escaped the BDA work in progress section on the ORR ?
Yes. Traffic had backed up beyond Marathahalli bridge so I would have idled in that for an hour easily. I checked the lake road traffic and there was a small queue compared to other days so took the plunge since I knew that after Bellandur the ORR would be free because of the pile up. Worked in my favor!
Old 20th June 2016, 19:48   #11800
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The split flyovers will rather be a problem IMO. The space in between them is too narrow for metro and the pillars if pitched here will render the already narrow center roads unusable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
And Marathahalli would deserve a station, but if the alignment follows ORR - where will that station be? For the metro to be a success it should be easy to switch over to BMTC and vice versa - which means that the station will have to be near the junction atop the bridge. But where? How can the metro cross Varthur Road here without completely blocking the junction for many months?
Good points. In any case this route was supposed to be part of Phase 3 for which a DPR is in progress and is expected to be presented some time this year. That will provide some detailed insights on how exactly they plan to align it. Would be interesting to see how they plan to manage Marathahalli and also the railway line crossing the ORR (Apart from the flyovers)
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 20:46   #11801
BHPian

It was pretty quick today from ECity to Whitefield for me today. Left office at 5:20 PM and was at home at 6:30 PM. Much faster than any normal day
Old 20th June 2016, 21:42   #11802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
It was pretty quick today from ECity to Whitefield for me today. Left office at 5:20 PM and was at home at 6:30 PM. Much faster than any normal day
What route do you take?
is it the sarjapur and varthur road or the normal ORR.
Old 20th June 2016, 21:58   #11803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
What route do you take?
is it the sarjapur and varthur road or the normal ORR.
I take the Hosur Road > Haralur Road > Outer Ring Road > Kundalahalli > Hoodi
Old 20th June 2016, 22:15   #11804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I think you took quite awhile to reach home. If I leave office at 430 I usually reach home before 6. At this time I avoid the railway crossing and go to Rainbow hospital. The railway crossing is screwed up because educated folks think they can race ahead of others and get to the gate and be the first one to cross it, sadly people from the other side too have the same logic. If only they had better common sense. But one good thing here is the local goons now guard this area and regulate traffic. Trust me, they are the saviors. They literally thrash people back to the queue. Much appreciated. If only every Junction had such people
I guess I was not aware of the routes there and ended up being stuck. About the railway crossing less said the better. Its not only at this but I have noticed at any railway crossing it happens. If the people can learn to be a little patient they can stop themselves and others becoming a patient!
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 23:59   #11805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Sarjapura-Marathahalli side of Outer Ring Road (where Prestige Tech Park is situated) generally sees a lot of traffic and there are several bottlenecks regardless of which route you take. ..... I've no idea of peak time traffic on that side of Bangalore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuram.cg View Post
Jam Alert

Traffic was piling up on Mahadevapura Flyover at 520 pm ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Heavy traffic from Maratahalli towards Ecospace side. Not sure what is the issue...
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
It doesn't need any reason for such heavy traffic on that stretch......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Had seen this mess on Saturday evening ...
.... Expect chaos in the evening.
Quote:
I think I will stay back in office today. .....
Quote:
....If the people can learn to be a little patient they can stop themselves and others becoming a patient!

With Bangalore continuing to retain the second highest number of vehicles in the country with 61 Lakh registered vehicles running on our roads, second to only Delhi with 88 Lakh vehicles(ref), our traffic woes are only going to increase exponentially with no hope. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of vehicles surpasses Delhi given the past rate of increase.

We have already started to lose the concept of peak time/off-peak time in most places. There is simply no space for the 61 lakh vehicles plying on our roads with 5 lakh new vehicles adding every year.

High time the Government provides or facilitates with private operator's help, an efficient public transportation system with point-to-point and last mile connectivity and makes it compulsory to use it.

We can only dream of quick and efficient mass public transportation at the moment. Hopefully in another 20 years with Metro giving proper coverage.
I'm sure that if the Bus services are privatised, the private operators will be a lot more efficient to capitalize on the demand and will provide hassle free point to point transport and at rapid frequency. An App-Based Bus service like Zip-Go (which was suspended as permit was not granted) is the need of the hour.
The solution to address the traffic woes can be implemented in quick time, its only the Will that is lacking.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 21st June 2016 at 00:27.

Most Viewed