Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2016, 10:14   #13261
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Leaving home at 0845 and reaching at 0945 via ORR - Link Road (NICE) - EC. I thought for all the rain last night, things would be worse but reaching in 1 hour was a stupendous surprise today - A distance of 49 kms, in an hour!!

Of course, few Schools have holidays today on account of Eid but Industries around Peenya and Tech companies are working today.

Traffic was usual on ORR, the Toll booth at PESIT Entry had not more than 5 vehicles in each gate and when I exited at Hosur Road, It was a 2 minute affair.

Last surprise was the Service Road after I exit NICE which too had very less traffic. All in all, a surprising fast commute than expected, be that rains or peak hour traffic.

And thank you Googlemaps - When I started from home, I assessed traffic inside city and ORR and it helped me decide take NICE Road.

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th December 2016 at 10:22.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 10:50   #13262
BHPian

Today @8am HSR layout 27th main to Agara exit turn took 20 mins (which is just one right turn mind you), from there to Sarjapur junction took 15 mins and from Sarjapur junction to Prestige Tech Park took 20 mins.

Thats a total of 55 odd mins which normally takes 25, all because of waterlogging on the flyover just after ecospace which resulted in the jam all the way back 5-6 kms

Just the sheer number of idiots who form 3-4 lanes on that two lane right turn at agara exit is so frustrating, almost makes you feel like doing the same
Old 13th December 2016, 12:22   #13263
BHPian

Left home late this morning (after 10:30) and it was a clear road from HSR to E-City phase 1. There was a little pile up I could see from the NICE road exit but not much effect to the Hosur Road traffic.
Old 13th December 2016, 12:50   #13264
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this article today. Though I liked the idea, not sure how things will work out if they block major road like 100 ft road Indiranagar in this case.
Link

Quote:
In a bid to make the city a more appealing tourist destination, the government has decided to launch Bengaluru Festival in different localities from 2017. And in keeping with the elements of an open-street festival, traffic will be barred on the road where the festival will be celebrated.
The first instalment of the festival will be held on January 15 on Indiranagar 100ft Road.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 14:19   #13265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
not sure how things will work out if they block major road like 100 ft road Indiranagar in this case.
For sure, other roads will have major impact, like 80 feet road, the smaller roads on both sides of 100ft road and will definitely have a knock-on effect to others
Old 13th December 2016, 18:26   #13266
Senior - BHPian

Was there a pileup near HAL Museum on Old Airport Road? I saw multiple cars with hazard lights on. I was driving on the other side and saw a damaged Tata Nano and Tempo Traveller. Here is the footage from my dash cam (see towards right).

Old 13th December 2016, 18:45   #13267
Distinguished - BHPian

Today morning, the traffic lights under the Bellandur Flyover were turned on. Have never seen this working since they were installed. With multiple legal and illegal directions, it is almost impossible to synchronize lights here without adversely impacting the flow and that is what happened today. The green duration of each side was approx 20 seconds. I was attempting to get to ORR from Sarjapur Road side and it took me 30 minutes to move approx 300 meters (as I join Belandur Main Road from the lane next to Ramdev Medicals) and turn right into ORR.

The signal would be green for 20 seconds out of which 10 seconds is lost due to vehicles overrunning the signal on the service road and cutting across the traffic waiting to join ORR from Sarjapur Road side. End result, only about 10 cars would clear the signal before it turned red again. Considering the volume of traffic that comes on this road in the 9-10am time frame, pretty sure the traffic would have been backed up all the way to Sarjapur Road.

I think this is one of those junctions where 'ordered chaos' works better.
Old 13th December 2016, 19:29   #13268
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This is for the "over-ambitious" BMTC Bus lane on Airport Road.
Scene would have been something like this if they have actually implemented the Bus Priority System on Old Airport Road:

But it is unlikely that this will be implemented. Read here: http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...le16771559.ece
airbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 08:48   #13269
Distinguished - BHPian

A huge respite for one of the biggest bottlenecks on ORR. The wait is almost over.

Quote:
Doddabommasandra flyover will be ready in 10 days

Bengaluru: Nine-year-old Abhinav of Doddabommasandra in Vidyaranyapura, north-west Bengaluru, who hogged the limelight in 2015 after he wrote to Prime Minister Narendra Modi highlighting traffic problem caused due to work on a flyover, can breathe easy now. The work on the long-pending flyover (rail over bridge) project along the Outer Ring Road between the BEL Circle and Goraguntepalya is almost over.

The BDA and South Western Railway, who are executing the project, told TOI that the flyover will be open to public in 10 days. "Most of the bridge work is over and we are doing asphalting. It may take a week or so after which inauguration will be done. It will be a three-lane flyover extending up to 1.1km and facilitate two-way traffic at the junction," officials said.

Abhinav, a student of National Public School, Yeswanthpur, had written to the PM explaining how the pending bridge project was inconveniencing students like him. The PMO promptly replied to Abhinav and asked the South Western Railways to speed up the project. The delay was attributed to a tussle between the railways and the defence department over sharing of land.

Though the project was conceptualized 15 years ago, the tender was floated only in 2012. However, the half-done project came to a halt in 2014 when land acquisition issues cropped up. Since then, travelling on the stretch has been a nightmare for thousands of road users as two railway gates were closed for passage of trains for about 20 times a day. Many a times, covering the distance from Goraguntepalya to BEL Circle, which ideally be 15 minutes, prolongs up to an hour.
BCS Murthy, a resident of Sahakaranagar, who takes the stretch to drop his daughter to a college near Jalahalli, said the particular stretch of ORR is the shortest route for those commuting between Tumakuru Road and Hebbal flyover. "It gets jammed all the time due to lack of a flyover at the railway crossing. The authorities don't understand that fixing such simple problems can benefit many road users," he added.
Source
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 11:47   #13270
BHPian

The electronic city flyover is completely jammed from the beginning to the end almost.. I am right now in the middle of it

PS: Just got off the flyover the culprits were a broken down bus and an NHAI vehicle. The bus was being towed and should be off the flyover in another 15 mins, the NHAI Vehicle was parked with blinkers on. And to actually pay for this trip felt like being robbed.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 14th December 2016 at 12:16.
pratyush6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 17:04   #13271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
The electronic city flyover is completely jammed from the beginning to the end almost.. I am right now in the middle of it

PS: Just got off the flyover the culprits were a broken down bus and an NHAI vehicle. The bus was being towed and should be off the flyover in another 15 mins, the NHAI Vehicle was parked with blinkers on. And to actually pay for this trip felt like being robbed.
Almost a daily affair now, day before yesterday, there were multiple accidents around 8-8:30 and when I came at 9:30 it was all first gear speeds, one Skoda Rapid broken down, most likely ran out of fuel, then a broken down mini bus, with on the right lane!

Totally agree on the robbery part.

Regards
Shailesh
Old 14th December 2016, 23:54   #13272
BHPian

Quote:
A huge respite for one of the biggest bottlenecks on ORR. The wait is almost over.
Hoping that this actually happens. Couple of weeks back on a Friday I was stuck badly from the Peenya metro station all the way till D-Needs on HMT Main road as most vehicles use this road to avoid the railway crossing.
rohanak1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 07:07   #13273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Source
Great for those going from Tumkur Road to BEL Circle as it's a free left at Taj Vivanta. However, the other way (BEL to Tumkur) will remain a nightmare due to the signal at the Taj.
Old 15th December 2016, 07:26   #13274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
Hoping that this actually happens. Couple of weeks back on a Friday I was stuck badly from the Peenya metro station all the way till D-Needs on HMT Main road as most vehicles use this road to avoid the railway crossing.
Am sure now it will. My dad said he noticed work almost complete when he travelled by BMTC bus that passed here. So most likely this shouldn't delay any further.

Have seen bad jams right near Jalahalli Police station at peak hours only because ORR traffic is taking this option to beat the Railway Gate mess- Incudes Trucks and BMTC buses big time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Great for those going from Tumkur Road to BEL Circle as it's a free left at Taj Vivanta. However, the other way (BEL to Tumkur) will remain a nightmare due to the signal at the Taj.
This will at least bifurcate the traffic now. Trucks for sure would prefer waiting for a signal than take narrow roads around BEL/HMT.

As they say, in Bangalore, you create a flyover to shift the Jam to the next signal. We are used to it now - BETL ending before Silk Board is also another classic example and so is Domlur flyover from IRR. And before I forget, Hebbal leads the pack .

The good way of looking at it is that now there will be no "Railway Gate" to cross on the Outer Ring road and waiting here was always gamble and chaotic. I am glad the gate is now going to be history.

Last edited by paragsachania : 15th December 2016 at 07:28.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 07:55   #13275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As they say, in Bangalore, you create a flyover to shift the Jam to the next signal.
I wonder what the cops below the flyover minting money from the truckers will do once the flyover is open .
Probably they will shift to the wide road between the railway line and the Tumkur road signal.

These guys are one special lot. There is a Inspector and 2-3 constables I notice every time I am there who are not interested in sorting the traffic jams that occur there or the stopping the vehicles from blocking the opposite lane when the gates are closed. Instead, they add to the chaos by pulling over trucks randomly when the traffic is finally moving and pocket money.

Having sad that, I first visited this place for trainspotting around 2000 and it was a beautiful area with huge trees on one side and the army land on the other and the road was probably 1/3 the size of what it is now and there was just one railway line from the three now cutting across. A far cry from what it is today.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks