Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2019, 19:10   #4441
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
1. On the ski rack, the left side cover in the front flew off during a road trip. I just need the cover, but M&M insists on buying the whole part which is too much

2. My Front bumper recently hit a pillar while reversing and has gone out of shape.
Go to some local trusted mechanic.

There are plenty of scrapped Scorpio ski racks available - as with their covers. Or the cover should be available at any Mahindra parts dealer. I had one cover knocked off when it scraped a low tree branch and it was easily replaced.

The bumper might work with some welding and tinkering instead of replacement though if there is rust better to replace the lot.

----new issue----

How much oil consumption is OK on a 2015 S10 mhawk? Every 3k or so km, with Shell Rimula, the oil level drops to about an inch or so above the minimum mark on the dipstick, and requires topping up with 250 ml then (2800-3000 km after oil change), half a liter today (6500 km after the oil change) of Rimula.

The engine still runs smoothly so I'm going to run it a few thousand km longer before I switch to Amsoil. But this oil consumption is a touch high?

Last edited by hserus : 29th January 2019 at 19:14.
Old 11th February 2019, 17:00   #4442
Senior - BHPian

Update on the oil consumption -

Rather an interesting lot of white vapor from the dipstick hole when the dipstick is taken out when the engine is idling = blowby.

The consumption of oil works out to something like 1.3-1.4 litres per thousand km at a rough estimate (no, the oil sump hasn't been drained, oil weighed and refilled to get an accurate estimate so far)

Culprits - PCV valve? Breather hose? Turbo? Oil control seal? "Nothing saar, this is a fairly normal consumption for a mHawk" as one SA tried to assure me? All this in a now 33K run vehicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Go to some local trusted mechanic.

There are plenty of scrapped Scorpio ski racks available - as with their covers. Or the cover should be available at any Mahindra parts dealer. I had one cover knocked off when it scraped a low tree branch and it was easily replaced.

The bumper might work with some welding and tinkering instead of replacement though if there is rust better to replace the lot.

----new issue----

How much oil consumption is OK on a 2015 S10 mhawk? Every 3k or so km, with Shell Rimula, the oil level drops to about an inch or so above the minimum mark on the dipstick, and requires topping up with 250 ml then (2800-3000 km after oil change), half a liter today (6500 km after the oil change) of Rimula.

The engine still runs smoothly so I'm going to run it a few thousand km longer before I switch to Amsoil. But this oil consumption is a touch high?
Ah, here's a video

Ps: Mods sorry for the back to back - I just realized I had no video of this and it took me an hour to get to my car, so too late for the half an hour limit to edit the previous post. Please merge.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th March 2019 at 08:26. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 12th February 2019, 20:55   #4443
Distinguished - BHPian

Although I am not familiar with this car/engine, the oil consumption appears to be a little high for that mileage. At the same time I would not worry to much about it. Rule of thumb, when you drop to 1l per 1000 km it is time to really consider action.

Is there any visible oil leaking. Do not expect any real oil spray. Just drops coming out will add up. Any signs of oil dripping from underneath the car perhaps when you leave it parked overnight?

You might want to (get) check(ed) is the proper functioning of the PVC valve and the complete crankcase ventilation. Sometimes that can get clogged up and that can lead to all sorts of issues. If the PCV valve is dirty, changes are other components are equally or worse, so you really need to verify the whole system in my experience.

Next would be a compression or blow by test to verify the state of the piston rings / cylinder.

Good luck, let us know what you find
Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 12th February 2019 at 20:57.
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 21:02   #4444
Senior - BHPian

I am sorry that is 1.25-1.3 liters per 10k km. My previous Scorpio ran till nearly 60k km before it was stolen. It didn't drink oil at this prolific a rate.

There are no visible oil leaks from the underside of the vehicle, and no patches of pooled oil around the engine bay that I could see from a quick look.

The only place oil leaks is if it sprays out of the dipstick.

The PCV valve is one thing that will be checked followed by a compression test of all the cylinders. (at least, if the service people follow what I requested them to try - though doubtless they have their SOP for checking these).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Although I am not familiar with this car/engine, the oil consumption appears to be a little high for that mileage. At the same time I would not worry to much about it. Rule of thumb, when you drop to 1l per 1000 km it is time to really consider action.
========
Good luck, let us know what you find
Jeroen

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th March 2019 at 08:28. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 12th February 2019, 21:40   #4445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How much oil consumption is OK on a 2015 S10 mhawk?
Practically zero. With 160,000 km on the odo, I have absolutely no drop in oil level between oil changes (7500-8500 km intervals).
Quote:
Every 3k or so km, with Shell Rimula, the oil level drops to about an inch or so above the minimum mark on the dipstick, and requires topping up with 250 ml then (2800-3000 km after oil change), half a liter today (6500 km after the oil change) of Rimula.
Which version / grade of Rimula are you using?
Quote:
Why Amsoil? Is it a pure synthetic oil? What grade?
Quote:
Rather an interesting lot of white vapor from the dipstick hole when the dipstick is taken out when the engine is idling = blowby.
Is the car losing coolant?
Quote:
The consumption of oil works out to something like 1.3-1.4 litres per thousand km...
Per 1000 km, or per 10,000 km?
Quote:
I am sorry that is 1.25-1.3 liters per 10k km.
Edit: Understood.
Quote:
Culprits - PCV valve? Breather hose? Turbo? Oil control seal? "Nothing saar, this is a fairly normal consumption for a mHawk" as one SA tried to assure me? All this in a now 33K run vehicle?
Turbo oil seal failure leads to black smoke from the exhaust, especially on hard acceleration. Not white/grey smoke from the dipstick hole.

Please check and report on:
1. Exhaust gas - whether black / white smoke is emitted, under hard acceleration;
2. Any loss of power.
3. Loss of coolant.

Also check the following:
1. The vacuum line from the alternator to the EGR valve, and vacuum line to the VGT actuator. Look for leaks / cracks.
2. Get your ASC / FNG to open up and check if the oil separator is clogged.
3. Check the PCV valve, whether clogged / jammed.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 12th February 2019 at 21:46.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 21:51   #4446
Senior - BHPian

Hi

First, the 1k km was a typo. This is a litre (or rather 1.3-1.4 litres) every 10k km. A very rough calculation based on my original fill and topups, not an exact measurement. But I check the dipstick in the cool of the morning and the engine hasn't been cranked yet so .. maybe not too far from the actual figure.

No oil drunk - My older (and now sadly stolen) Scorpio (a 2014 S10 where this one is 2015) had much the same experience. Tight as a drum.

Shell Rimula T4 (API CI4+) 15w40 - the manual specifies 10K on CH4, but I've been running this Rimula for 8K km so far, and besides the oil drinking, the engine remains silky smooth. Quite unlike what'd be a normal run of 8k with a mineral oil, given 90% ++ of this Scorpio's driving is on the highways.

Amsoil is not just a synthetic HDEO (heavy duty diesel engine oil) it is API CK4, the very latest spec for diesel engine oils. Even Mobil Delvac 1 is CI4+ (and both Delvac 1 / Amsoil Turbo Truck are 5w40). I used it in my previous Scorpio, and the difference between it and Maximile, over two oil changes, was palpable. Another Scorpio owning BHPian in Chennai, with a 80k run 2014 VLX, switched to it on my recommendation and loves it.

No the car is not losing coolant. It isn't losing power either and the engine noise is normal / smooth. Exhaust gas too is normal and NOT emitting white / bluish smoke or black smoke.

At only one time in December - during a coorg drive on ghat roads to Talacauvery, it was driven hard and the coolant had been overfilled a bit beyond the maximum mark (my hand slipped when I was topping it up), the coolant leaked out of the reservoir and about a hundred ml or so overflowed - ironically enough, leaving the coolant at the correct level. It did not leak on the way back, and it has not leaked ever since. The engine purred like a cat and I did not see it overheat either, based on what the MID showed me.

I will check the three items you mentioned - PCV is already slated to be checked, the vacuum lines to the EGR and VGT as well as the oil separator will be checked. To be honest though - there is NO oil leak from the usual suspect places (various hoses, around the turbo etc) that I could check. The only place oil is leaking is this spray and fumes from the dipstick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
........Why Amsoil? Is it a pure synthetic oil? What grade?

Is the car losing coolant?

Per 1000 km, or per 10,000 km?

=======================
1. The*vacuum*line*from*the* alternator* to* the* EGR*valve, and* vacuum* line* to*the* VGT* actuator.*Look for*leaks / cracks.
2. Get your ASC / FNG to open up and check if the oil separator is clogged.
3. Check the PCV valve, whether clogged / jammed.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th March 2019 at 08:30. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 22:24   #4447
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. The vacuum line from the alternator to the EGR valve, .
A vacuum line form the alternator? Again, I am really not familiar with this car/engine, but it is not often I have seen alternator and vacuum line seen mentioned in one sentence. Could you elaborate, I am sure I am missing something here. Thanks

Quote:
First, the 1k km was a typo. This is a litre (or rather 1.3-1.4 litres) every 10k km.
Ok no problem. To be honest, I would not worry at all purely based on such oil consumption. Sure, some engine use next to nothing, some engines just use some oil. This is nothing unusual perse. Does not hurt to see if anything is amiss of course.

Quote:
PCV is already slated to be checked, the vacuum lines to the EGR and VGT as well as the oil separator will be checked. To be honest though - there is NO oil leak from the usual suspect places (various hoses, around the turbo etc) that I could check. The only place oil is leaking is this spray and fumes from the dipstick.
Make sure they inspect not just the PCV valve but every hose and opening in the crankcase breathing system.

You should try and get that dip stick at least oil free of course.

The one thing you might want to try. With the engine properly warmed up, get the engine up to 3500 RPM or a little higher and come off the accelerator. Check your mirror of have anybody check the smoke coming from the exhaust. Blue smoke is an indication that the valve seals are leaking.

Good luck.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 22:27   #4448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The one thing you might want to try. With the engine properly warmed up, get the engine up to 3500 RPM or a little higher and come off the accelerator. Check your mirror of have anybody check the smoke coming from the exhaust. Blue smoke is an indication that the valve seals are leaking.
So -

1. I had a bhpian friend tail me for about a hundred kilometers on a highway run over this weekend. He confirmed what I'd noticed - no blue, white or black smoke from the tailpipe.

2. Revving the engine to 3500-4000 rpm when stationary and warmed up does not produce any such smoke either.
Old 13th February 2019, 09:08   #4449
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So -

1. I had a bhpian friend tail me for about a hundred kilometers on a highway run over this weekend. He confirmed what I'd noticed - no blue, white or black smoke from the tailpipe.

2. Revving the engine to 3500-4000 rpm when stationary and warmed up does not produce any such smoke either.

I use the OEM Maximile and I do give the vehicle a hard time, now on it's 60K KMS there is no oil consumption , no noticeable change in the oil level as well. Once the engine is warmed up, there will be vapour on idle through the dipstick tube, but a lot of smoke coming out continuously and spraying oil out is not normal. From the video it does not seem to be a problem.

Can you change the oil to OEM and see if that makes any difference?
Old 13th February 2019, 09:32   #4450
Senior - BHPian

I seriously doubt there'll be any sort of difference because the excessive oil consumption was a factor even then.

March 23, 2018 - 20297 km - the 3rd free service performed by the previous owner had 6 litres of Maximile filled.

October 11, 2018 - 25016 km - the dipstick was replaced under warranty.

The vehicle was put up for sale within literally days of that dipstick being replaced. I suspect someone told the previous owner "might be blown piston rings, park the car in the shade for a few days and then sell it, or pay for a short block replacement". My old Scorpio was stolen on Oct 18 and I bought this on Oct 20.

Weirdly enough, the oil looked freshly topped up - presumably by the used car dealer I bought it from. As it was Maximile plus whatever random oil the dealer had poured in, and as the filters were in a horrible state, I changed the lot then and there.

Even after this, there were signs of leakage around the dipstick within a few days after I bought it, so that I asked the Mahindra ASS I usually use India Garage Velachery (the SA I normally use there said its quite normal) and then asked a trusted FNG mechanic, who said "might be play in the dipstick, just wrap some teflon tape around the top".

When the dipstick leak started correlating to this high an oil consumption, I started digging deeper after a couple of topups (750 ml over 8000 km in three months). I didn't treat it as too urgent given the car drives just fine, and no other symptoms such as smoke were present.

Still, it is high time this was investigated and a root cause found. I'll update the thread once I hear back from the ASS where I've given this (TVS Mahindra in Perungudi, Chennai).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I use the OEM Maximile and I do give the vehicle a hard time, now on it's 60K KMS there is no oil consumption , no noticeable change in the oil level as well. Once the engine is warmed up, there will be vapour on idle through the dipstick tube, but a lot of smoke coming out continuously and spraying oil out is not normal. From the video it does not seem to be a problem.

Can you change the oil to OEM and see if that makes any difference?

Last edited by hserus : 13th February 2019 at 09:36.
Old 13th February 2019, 09:41   #4451
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A vacuum line form the alternator? Again, I am really not familiar with this car/engine, but it is not often I have seen alternator and vacuum line seen mentioned in one sentence. Could you elaborate, I am sure I am missing something here.
That's because there's a vacuum pump sitting on the back of the alternator. This pump is for the brake booster, VGT & ?EGR, and also has its own lubrication lines.
Old 13th February 2019, 12:17   #4452
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

You might want to (get) check(ed) is the proper functioning of the PVC valve and the complete crankcase ventilation. Sometimes that can get clogged up and that can lead to all sorts of issues. If the PCV valve is dirty, changes are other components are equally or worse, so you really need to verify the whole system in my experience.
+1 to that. It happened to me in the past, when I was on a road trip and my car started consuming oil like crazy with smoke and all. Thankfully dad advised me to check the PCV valve and clean it with any solvent available. The valve was indeed stuck as it failed the elementary rattle test. I found a shop which had some WD40 and I cleaned the PCV Valve. After topping up the engine oil, I never faced any oil consumption issue, till date. Needless to say, I replaced the 16 year old valve with a new one as soon as my trip ended.

Also with the PCV valve choked, oil turns black and dirty very quickly.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 12:55   #4453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's because there's a vacuum pump sitting on the back of the alternator. This pump is for the brake booster, VGT & ?EGR, and also has its own lubrication lines.
Thanks, that makes sense

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 14:03   #4454
Senior - BHPian

Sigh. After sitting on the car overnight they said I had over filled the oil so it was spraying out of the dipstick. So to satisfy me, they said, they'd drain the oil and show me. Surprise surprise, just 5.4 or so litres, not the expected 6.

Now at least I hope they will look at the PCV
Old 13th February 2019, 15:21   #4455
Senior - BHPian

Update - they will clean the oil separator (which has the pcv built into it) and all hoses leading into and out of it. And then refill my oil.

I will drive it for another two or three thousand km and check the oil level again. If there's a significant drop they'll do a compression test and other deep dive measures.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks