Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2013, 08:43   #1471
BHPian

Just noticed the rear wiper also activates when we reverse under auto wiper mode. I never knew that. Silly me.
Old 4th February 2013, 09:14   #1472
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
Just noticed the rear wiper also activates when we reverse under auto wiper mode. I never knew that. Silly me.
That's a nifty little feature, isn't it?

And you chose the "Niggles thread" to report this?

There are folks who look at just the number of pages of this thread to draw conclusions.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 19:01   #1473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
Lucky you. Last night when it rained in Delhi, i came to know that in my XUV auto wiper are not working, though lights were.
Old 6th February 2013, 14:04   #1474
BHPian

A new niggle from my side. Steering vibrates a little when I rotate it on stand still at neutral ( with engine on). I guess this vibration is so less that it is not noticeable on move. I checked 3 xuvs at ASC ( including one brand new one). All seem to have this issue. As per SA, he can not do anything as it is showing up in all vehicles. Can someone point it if it is by design or is it a flaw. I hope it is not a warning sign for something coming up in future.
Old 6th February 2013, 14:35   #1475
BHPian

Finally, the legendary brake grinding noise hits me that too after driving around 3500kms. Nothing alarming though! Since it doesnt affect the braking dynamics, just the iritation level goes up by a few notch. You have not paid around 14L to hear your XUV squeal like a State transport bus while braking Whats interesting is this happened after I took back my car from the ASC, infact while driving home from the ASC i noticed this. Have reported this to my RM, he told me the remedy, the latest gen brake pads. Awaiting delivery for the same now. Will keep you guys posted on the time taken for the remedy to arrive and the efficiency of the same. Till then Ciao.
Old 6th February 2013, 15:50   #1476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
Finally, the legendary brake grinding noise hits me that too after driving around 3500kms. Nothing alarming though! Since it doesnt affect the braking dynamics, just the iritation level goes up by a few notch. You have not paid around 14L to hear your XUV squeal like a State transport bus while braking Whats interesting is this happened after I took back my car from the ASC, infact while driving home from the ASC i noticed this. Have reported this to my RM, he told me the remedy, the latest gen brake pads. Awaiting delivery for the same now. Will keep you guys posted on the time taken for the remedy to arrive and the efficiency of the same. Till then Ciao.
Go for the new pads, else you would get used to the sound , unfortunately no such remedy for the Scorpio, my front right wheel squeaks for the last 4 years.
Old 6th February 2013, 16:03   #1477
BHPian

Hehe, thats what I intend to do, sans the waiting period, which I can do without. In between, however I did a 200+km of highway run and cruised around 150-160kmph in quite a few stretches, noticed braking was normal. The sound it seems comes when you are driving slow and braking. Off topic, when I bought the XUV I was a tad worried on the way of braking, I have seen people reporting that the brake doesnt have bite et all. Honestly having driven Airavat on the highways and in panic situations, I have found the brakes performed extremely well.
me_sid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2013, 01:53   #1478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Now you mentioned rat, I have a real strong doubt on this. I came to notice the edges of one of the mats in the second row being nibbled. The rat thought crossed my mind then, but I was still unsure considering I did not hear any unusual noise within the car. All this has happened after the car was at the service centre for 2 days to get the issues sorted out. Have a feeling a rat must have entered some time then.

This is the first time in my entire life am facing an issue with a rat inside my car. . Will be calling the RM first thing tomorrow and get the car totally checked out at the earliest.

Though OT, if anyone out there had faced a similar issue, would really need some suggestion on how it can be handled.

FundaG
Last month, i was shocked to notice the rubber cup holder behind the gear leaver torn. Closer inspection revealed that my XUV was attacked by a rat. The rat had nibbled the cup holder and the bits and pieces were all over the place. Afre inspecting for any further damage, (none at that time, thankfully), i called the RM and he confirmed that there were possibilities that a rat could enter from behind the dash (from the engine compartment) and that there was no approved rat guard from the company.

Yesterday, i noticed the Hill Decent Control, Hill Hold, ESP and ABS LEDs came up when i switched on the ignition. Soon after, i noticed bits of foam strewn all over the front passenger carpet. My worst fear had come true. Today afternoon, my vehicle is at the Mahindra workshop, getting inspected. They called me in the evening, to tell me the blower is damaged and so are some wiring. I'm now awaiting to here from them tomorrow, on the total damages.
Old 9th February 2013, 19:49   #1479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charan View Post

Last month, i was shocked to notice the rubber cup holder behind the gear leaver torn. Closer inspection revealed that my XUV was attacked by a rat. The rat had nibbled the cup holder and the bits and pieces were all over the place. Afre inspecting for any further damage, (none at that time, thankfully), i called the RM and he confirmed that there were possibilities that a rat could enter from behind the dash (from the engine compartment) and that there was no approved rat guard from the company.

Yesterday, i noticed the Hill Decent Control, Hill Hold, ESP and ABS LEDs came up when i switched on the ignition. Soon after, i noticed bits of foam strewn all over the front passenger carpet. My worst fear had come true. Today afternoon, my vehicle is at the Mahindra workshop, getting inspected. They called me in the evening, to tell me the blower is damaged and so are some wiring. I'm now awaiting to here from them tomorrow, on the total damages.
So will the damage incurred due to rat attack will be covered under warranty? Asking this as if its possible for the rats to enter from behind the dash means there is a design flaw.
Do let us know if you or any other XUV owners find any solution to the entry of these rats.
hgnishanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 13:02   #1480
BHPian

Fellow BHP-ians and dear XUV owners. My family is REALLY considering buying an XUV over the new Cruze cuz of its practicality, looks and a plethora of features . What is your take on this? Are these "niggles" so much of a problem that one must avoid buying the XUV? I really liked the vehicle after a test drive on the highway. Please advice me on whether I should go for the XUV or the Cruze? We're looking for a highway machine.
Old 18th February 2013, 13:25   #1481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Jayan View Post
Fellow BHP-ians and dear XUV owners. My family is REALLY considering buying an XUV over the new Cruze cuz of its practicality, looks and a plethora of features . What is your take on this? Are these "niggles" so much of a problem that one must avoid buying the XUV? I really liked the vehicle after a test drive on the highway. Please advice me on whether I should go for the XUV or the Cruze? We're looking for a highway machine.
Vivek Jayan, I hope you have gone through the niggles thread and the ownership reports from SDP and Debuda.

The vehicle has it's fair share of niggles, but nothing catastrophic. My vehicle is hardly a month old and so can't comment on long time reliability. This vehicle has an amazing aspirational value and I'm sure you'll enjoy the vehicle. However, please make an informed choice, as a niggle for me could be a frustrating annoyance for others.

XUV & Cruze are different categories of vehicles and can't be compared on the same plane.

Official reviews of XUV and Cruze

All the best.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 08:41   #1482
Senior - BHPian

Cross posting from the XUV test drive thread.

Linky : http://www.cartoq.com/mahindra-xuv50...ke-pad-design/
rjstyles69 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 09:45   #1483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post

XUV & Cruze are different categories of vehicles and can't be compared on the same plane.

All the best.
Thanks for the input . I know that the Cruze and XUV are vehicles of different categories but one HAS to somehow compare them when deciding to spend lakhs on buying one. Since they're priced similarly, with the Cruze a lakh or so more expensive than the XUV, the only thing stopping us from booking the Mahindra is its quality issues/ niggles. We wouldn't want our highway machine to break down or malfunction in the middle of the road, especially when in an emergency situation. I've heard of even proper SUVs like the Pajero having brake failures and ABS malfunction under hard braking. I'm concerned about the overall reliability of the XUV since it seems to be having problems all over. Hope Mahindra is really correcting these flaws as they build new ones.

Thank you rjstyles69 for the link. That helped a lot. Cheers!

Last edited by Vivek Jayan : 19th February 2013 at 09:49. Reason: Need to add another point to the post
Old 19th February 2013, 09:58   #1484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Jayan View Post
the only thing stopping us from booking the Mahindra is its quality issues/ niggles. We wouldn't want our highway machine to break down or malfunction in the middle of the road, especially when in an emergency situation. I've heard of even proper SUVs like the Pajero having brake failures and ABS malfunction under hard braking. I'm concerned about the overall reliability of the XUV since it seems to be having problems all over. Hope Mahindra is really correcting these flaws as they build new ones.
Vivek Jayan, I understand your predicament. However, please bear in mind that there are hardly any catastrophic failure of XUVs reported so far and hardly any case of stranded passengers. Frayed nerves, in some cases though. My view might have a possible owner bias, but I find the XUV trustworthy so far. Atleast the 2013 batch is niggle free. If you are going to wait till end of Feb, the wait could well be worth it.

When you compare a luxury sedan and a monocoque SUV, drive comfort is the primary difference. There's always this swaying motion, due to high Center of Gravity in XUV. Cruze is more down-to-earth. Quite literally. And that adds to the driving comfort over long distances. I haven't driven a Cruze around and so can't comment on other features.

No two vehicles are the same. Take a test drive of both the vehicles and you'll appreciate the differences better.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 10:27   #1485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post

No two vehicles are the same. Take a test drive of both the vehicles and you'll appreciate the differences better.
You're right. I have test-driven the XUV and the new Cruze and I love both. The Cruze for its planted ride and blazing performance while the XUV for its relaxed yet brisk road manners. I feel that the XUV has more to offer in terms of sheer value. It can definitely handle the bits of dirt roads which we sometimes go through with its ground clearance and good suspension travel. The Cruze is sure to scrape its under- body often in those roads. My family has a habit of over- packing for trips. In the XUV, loading and unloading such luggage will be cakewalk compared to the Cruze. Where the Cruze destroys the XUV is on the highway with its amazing performance plus the always welcome "premiumness"! . Its build- quality, fit and finish etc. is superior to that of the XUV. All said, we will probably go for the XUV owing to its resale value and usefulness in daily driving conditions. I feel its ride and handling is pretty good and confidence inspiring for an SUV. Then there is the commanding view and that smug feeling when the traffic gives way as you approach from behind. Fingers crossed!
Vivek Jayan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks