Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2012, 17:21   #3736
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarooppatil View Post
and the front wheel bearings need to be replaced.
Why? Is there any noise? How is the SA so sure for replacement?

Last edited by manim : 28th September 2012 at 17:25.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 17:43   #3737
BHPian

Swaroop, my car's front left wheel bearing was replaced at 37k kms. I detected the problem when I heard a faint grinding noise from the front wheel. The SA first attempted to grease it and the sound went away for a day or so and then came back, prompting a replacement.

I'm not sure if there is an exact life to bearings as there are several eternal factors that can affect bearing life.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 20:54   #3738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sent the car for the 70k service today. The service adviser at Apex Honda called up saying the engine mounting is weak and the front wheel bearings need to be replaced.
I was quoted 18K + for wheel bearings by the thugs at Solitaire Honda(andheri) .I took my car to my trusted mechanic who refuted the claim by Solitaire.Even if your car needs bearing replacement i strongly suggest showing the car to a good independant garage.A good mechanic would charge roughly less than 50% of what a HASS would charge for the same quality of work.

Good Luck
Old 29th September 2012, 15:52   #3739
BHPian

Thanks all for the suggestions.

@ manim - I could notice a bit of sound during driving..was not sure whether it was the tyres or the wheels. Would now have to listen more carefully. Any specific kind of sould I need to be looking for?

@ sumeet - Apex Honda quoted 16k for the wheel bearings and some 3% discount on parts and 5% on labor due to AMC. Could you please suggest the garage that you showed your car to?
Old 29th September 2012, 16:58   #3740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all for the suggestions.

@ manim - I could notice a bit of sound during driving..was not sure whether it was the tyres or the wheels. Would now have to listen more carefully. Any specific kind of sould I need to be looking for?

@ sumeet - Apex Honda quoted 16k for the wheel bearings and some 3% discount on parts and 5% on labor due to AMC. Could you please suggest the garage that you showed your car to?
Below is the link for my trusted garage.Joe's a honest and competent mehcanic.I take his word blindly.If he's say's somethings not needed to be done then you can be rest assured it's not needed to be done.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...st-mumbai.html

Alternately if you want Pai motors at Santacruz west (khira nagar) 26615501 could also be assistance though i am not sure if they do wheel bearings but they had done JatinPatel's steering rack repair and seem good enough.I think Jatin can guide you better on this one.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 29th September 2012 at 17:00.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 18:03   #3741
BHPian

I got the brake calliper removed serviced the piston at the rim had a neat round rusting which was preventing the piston to move freely some WD40 some sand paper scrubbing helped to get rid of it all job done replaced the lost brake oil with dot 4 and got pedal pressure/position back released handbrake and car was sailing in neutral thumbs up to my mechanic pocket lighter by 500 bux .Now my question to CIVIC gurus is how difficult will it be to replace transmission oil on my A/T what grade any precautions ? thanx in anticipation .
Old 29th September 2012, 18:11   #3742
BHPian

@m-hawk

Changing a AT transmission oil is just like changing a normal engine oil open the drain nut and completely drain the old oil and then fill in the new and then run the engine for a while go through all the gears and see ifthey are shifting well and if required do a lil top of the oil.

Only catch is you dont get the PERFECT grade of AT oil outside of Honda.
Best is to go to Honda and get it done it is a max 1.2k job including Oil and labor.
Old 29th September 2012, 21:03   #3743
BHPian

Need guidance from experts here:

Problem:
- Non responsive tuner (Speedsports Delhi) since past 1 month.
- The car got some basic mods life FFE, BMC cold air intake, mintex brake pads and running on Mobil 1.
- Serviced at Speedsports only. (Bought it preworshipped at 39k, now clocked 56k).
- Off late am facing quality and communication issues with speedsports. Have tried to reach them through phone/email but no response.
Some problems which are recurring:
- The cars AC was tripping/ineffective in cold starts when outside temperature was in excess of 35 degrees. At speedsports got the AC serviced and some coil repair process was undertaken. Now ACs efficiency is increased but tripping continues. I have spent 6.5k on this and problem continues. Even Indigos and Alto ACs are performing much better.
- The car was suffering from poor accelaration and Phil advised throttle body cleaning. Again paid around 6k. Acceleration was fine but after 4-5k kms, the car has become sluggish.
- What is the use of performance modifications if the workshop doesn't responds when you are in crisis. Since am no expert, need suggestions from where in Gurgaon/Delhi shall I get my car serviced keeping in mind Air Intake/FFE is installed? Are there any specific precautions to be taken while getting it serviced from Authorised service centers? How does one maintains this cold air intake?

- Now the big question: I had dreamed of getting the car turbo charged. But the thought scares me now after I have experienced continuous non responsiveness of Phil@speedsports. The mechs at his workshop do respond but they are unable to fix the problems in one go. Everytime I visit, I have to pay massive amounts for some reason or the another. Bad to see hard earned money going down the drain.
So is there a life apart from Speedsports in Delhi?
I know this post might raise some eyebrows here, but I am not sharing what they have done with my Indigo and how much I have spent on it. (Am expecting Phil to be free and respond on Indigo issue, if not, suitably I ll take the issue forward).

Anyways this is a CIVIC thread, so urging all experts to help this newbie out en route to fulfilling his dreams. :-) and achieving peace of mind. I do not want to spend every weekend on fixing cars.

-
Old 29th September 2012, 21:51   #3744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumargandharva View Post
Solutions to your problems.

1.Ac tripping
It can be either the magnetic clutch of the Compressor is kaput or the AC gas is very low and hence its dipping many times OR your alternator might not be charging the battery and spplying enough current to the AC electricals and hence to save the car from shutting it might be shutting the compressor.
If your Headlights your ICE dont have dip and your engine doesnt shudder when the AC is OFF then its mostly your magnetic clutch of compressor is gone. Take it to Independent ac mechanic he can get it sorted like new for 7-8 MAX!
Simplest way to diagnose for alternator issue is to take a Multimeter and under idling check the voltage obtained at the battery terminals it should anywhere between 13.7-14.2v and with full load of AC ICE & Headlights and fogs it should be around 12.9-13.5v(idling to reving the engine test).

but i think its your compressor clutch but then again have not seen the vehicle so cant be certain, but it should be between the above three things mentioned.

2. Acceleration problem
Check your BMC filter if its clean or not, the performance filters need to be cleaned every 5k kms along with TB cleaning and in CIVIC after you remove the throttle body from the manifold open it up clean it thoroughly you need to teach the ECU to idle which can be only done in Honda Diagnostic Software or (HDS), I don't know how did phil did the above, don't know if he has the scanner or some other means to make the ecu learn to idle so no comments on that.

Go to Honda A.S.S and get the TB cleaned the labor charge is 350-450bucks and if they charge for your HDS its 700rs which i think they should not as its part and parcel of Throttle body cleaning.

before going to Honda get your BMC filter cleaned and re-oiled if its oilable filter.

Also specifically mention to Honda A.S.S that your car has the following mods so they will do it accordingly atleast they do it here in mumbai at linkway dont know about delhi.

Last edited by noopster : 1st October 2012 at 17:05. Reason: Please do not quote an entire large post- makes things difficult for our small screen users
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 22:17   #3745
BHPian

Thanks Jatin,

Will surely get the AC checked at independent AC mech.

Can you guide where can I get this air filter cleaned and oiled before taking the car to Honda A.S.S. Am amazed to note that TB cleaning is only worth Rs. 350-450 bucks!

Couple of more issues: The armrest lock has gone kaput, the armrest comes up as the speed goes up. One Honda service center states the lock is a separate part and costs Rs. 350 but not in stock. Another service center states entire arm rest needs to be changed costing Rs. 4.5k. Is this available as an aftermarket spare?

- Idemitsu synthetic (Honda A.S.S.) vs Mobil 1 (Aftermarket). Which oil should I go for?

- Is it ok to get this car maintained by a reliable Honda A.S.S. regularly rather than facing hassles with Phil? I think apart from maintaining the air intake, everything else can be taken care by Honda or independent technicians (AC/Denting/Painting).

Thanks once again.
Old 29th September 2012, 22:23   #3746
BHPian

Is there any other VFM brake pad option other than mintex. Drove a Civic with stock brakes the other day. It never inspired confidence. Was scary to stop in some tight situations. May be I've got used to mintex bite.
Old 30th September 2012, 00:04   #3747
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Jatin,

Will surely get the AC checked at independent AC mech.

Can you guide where can I get this air filter cleaned and oiled before taking the car to Honda A.S.S. Am amazed to note that TB cleaning is only worth Rs. 350-450 bucks!

Couple of more issues: The armrest lock has gone kaput, the armrest comes up as the speed goes up. One Honda service center states the lock is a separate part and costs Rs. 350 but not in stock. Another service center states entire arm rest needs to be changed costing Rs. 4.5k. Is this available as an aftermarket spare?

- Idemitsu synthetic (Honda A.S.S.) vs Mobil 1 (Aftermarket). Which oil should I go for?

- Is it ok to get this car maintained by a reliable Honda A.S.S. regularly rather than facing hassles with Phil? I think apart from maintaining the air intake, everything else can be taken care by Honda or independent technicians (AC/Denting/Painting).

Thanks once again.
Quote:
Is there any other VFM brake pad option other than mintex. Drove a Civic with stock brakes the other day. It never inspired confidence. Was scary to stop in some tight situations. May be I've got used to mintex bite.

For the armrest problem tell honda guys to order the lock for you or go to a scrap wala and get the lock from them.

For Oil stick with Mobil1 0w-40 the golden color can.

Get the car maintained by Honda itself more reliable service anyday.

Well for the brake bite nothing better than Mintex unless you go for brembos which are insanely expensive.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 00:50   #3748
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Try Hawk pads, they're brilliant compared to stock Honda pads. Though they will cost about $150 for a set without shipping.
Old 30th September 2012, 10:51   #3749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Problem:
- Non responsive tuner (Speedsports Delhi) since past 1 month.
- Off late am facing quality and communication issues with speedsports. Have tried to reach them through phone/email but no response.
Some problems which are recurring:
- The car was suffering from poor accelaration and Phil advised throttle body cleaning. Again paid around 6k. Acceleration was fine but after 4-5k kms, the car has become sluggish.
- What is the use of performance modifications if the workshop doesn't responds when you are in crisis. Since am no expert, need suggestions from where in Gurgaon/Delhi shall I get my car serviced keeping in mind Air Intake/FFE is installed? Are there any specific precautions to be taken while getting it serviced from Authorised service centers? How does one maintains this cold air intake?

- Now the big question: I had dreamed of getting the car turbo charged. But the thought scares me now after I have experienced continuous non responsiveness of Phil@speedsports. The mechs at his workshop do respond but they are unable to fix the problems in one go. Everytime I visit, I have to pay massive amounts for some reason or the another. Bad to see hard earned money going down the drain.
So is there a life apart from Speedsports in Delhi?
I know this post might raise some eyebrows here, but I am not sharing what they have done with my Indigo and how much I have spent on it. (Am expecting Phil to be free and respond on Indigo issue, if not, suitably I ll take the issue forward).
I bet Phil/Speedsport isn't like this.
There are many threads on cars done by him running on the forum.All have excellent reviews for him.

I guess he must be busy with the Raid right now.Why dont you leave him PM on TBHP?

Last edited by cityvic : 30th September 2012 at 10:53.
Old 30th September 2012, 14:59   #3750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
I bet Phil/Speedsport isn't like this.
There are many threads on cars done by him running on the forum.All have excellent reviews for him.

I guess he must be busy with the Raid right now.Why dont you leave him PM on TBHP?
He was never like this. Though sometimes the charges go on a higher side but still he used to respond (there was a delay of a day or two not a month). Now I have mailed couple of times over a week, dropped a pm on facebook (he's active almost daily on facebook), in addition to it, made phonecalls, but no response.
I'll drop him a message on tbhp as well today.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks