Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2019, 07:25   #9436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
The problem was that whenever I went on a long drive to a hot place from Bangalore (say, Madras), the AC would fail as we enter Madras. If we stop the car for a few minutes, and restart, the AC would work well for some more time.
Change the AC relay. It should fix your issue. Had the same issue on mine. The relay was overheating. So it would maintain the connection at times, and sometimes it wouldn't. If I switched off the AC for a bit, and turn on after a while , it would work again.

Also, get a genuine relay from HASS. Should set you back by around Rs 1000. The relays in the market that I got for 100 odd bucks kept failing.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2019, 17:10   #9437
BHPian

Has anyone in Bangalore had any success fixing the Power steering issue on the Civic? Any pointers are much appreciated
Old 14th October 2019, 07:19   #9438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvenk View Post
Has anyone in Bangalore had any success fixing the Power steering issue on the Civic? Any pointers are much appreciated
PS issues of the Civic keep coming back. I've got the pump changed, the rack changed, leaks fixed umpteen times but the niggles remain. You just need to manage them. What's the problem you're facing?
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 10:30   #9439
BANNED

I must say our Civic VAT is smooth no issues. So maybe we have been lucky. It has done 85000+ km so far. It may be sold off next year at 10 years.
Old 14th October 2019, 16:03   #9440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
PS issues of the Civic keep coming back. I've got the pump changed, the rack changed, leaks fixed umpteen times but the niggles remain. You just need to manage them. What's the problem you're facing?
Well, the same leak and hard steering. I top it up with the Honda PS fluid about once a week, and I can live with it for now, although the steering is somewhat tight. I'm planning to sell it off over the next year (has now run 95K, and is otherwise great), and I anticipate trouble on this front.

I remember that the original issue was that one of these original o-rings was faulty and that replacing it would likely fix it. Has that worked for you?
Old 14th October 2019, 16:10   #9441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvenk View Post
I remember that the original issue was that one of these original o-rings was faulty and that replacing it would likely fix it. Has that worked for you?
Yeah even I've done the top up routine for quite a bit. But eventually, the leak starts growing and then you've to top it up every alternate day and there's oil in your driveway eveye morning to clean so eventually you will have to get it fixed. I had a leak in the rack, got the rack replaced from Mayapuri and the problem is solved. The pump seals had a leak so got the O rings replaced but the exact sizes are only available with Honda and they wanted to replace the entire PS system. So now, I'm living with a very minor leak from one of the pump seals, due to O ring size mismatch. I top up once in a month. Barely 10ml. So it's liveable. Especially after 2,15,000 Kms. The Civic will do duty for another couple of months at max before I'll sell it. It'll be an emotional farewell.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 23:32   #9442
BHPian

Guys

Like many of you I also have a power steering leak and I have been living with it for over 4 years now. I keep on checking and top up when required. However I have a very strange issue. As soon as winters start the power steering makes strange noise till the car gets warmed up. I am assuming it is because once the oil in the system heats up and makes the seals soft the noise stops. Is there anyway I can make this noise go away? Also if I shut the engine down while the car is still cold I see the oil coming out of reservoir. I don't mind topping up however the noise is little irritating and embarrassing at the same time
Old 15th October 2019, 06:19   #9443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Guys

Like many of you I also have a power steering leak and I have been living with it for over 4 years now. I keep on checking and top up when required. However I have a very strange issue.
You've correctly diagnosed the problem. I had faced the issue in winters as well, only for the initial few minutes till it sufficiently warms up when oil reaches the seals. The other issue i was facing was that the rack leakage intensified in winter and was barely a drip in the hot Delhi summer. I finally got it replaced last year.

As far as a solution is concerned, till you get it repaired/ replaced, you'll have to bear the noise. I also got it replaced as it was embarassing to see a puddle of oil every morning in the car parking. Although, a PS repair on the Civic has always only been a stop gap solution. The final relief is only post replacement.
Old 15th October 2019, 12:24   #9444
Senior - BHPian

Getting hit with the engine mount problem compounded with suspension issue. Going by what I could observe, looks like the lower arm bush might have cracked and needs replacement. Engine mount is also looking weak, although its not making any noise.

The car is butter smooth on smooth roads, but even the tiniest of potholes could be felt on the steering.

Any idea on how much this is gonna cost at HASS? Is it possible to just replace the bushes, or the whole arm assembly needs change? I dont think the springs have gone bad and should be ok.

Total miles on board is 54k and is about to be 9 yr old
Old 15th October 2019, 12:40   #9445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Getting hit with the engine mount problem compounded with suspension issue. Going by what I could observe, looks like the lower arm bush might have cracked and needs replacement. Engine mount is also looking weak, although its not making any noise.

The car is butter smooth on smooth roads, but even the tiniest of potholes could be felt on the steering.

Any idea on how much this is gonna cost at HASS? Is it possible to just replace the bushes, or the whole arm assembly needs change? I dont think the springs have gone bad and should be ok.

Last known rates when I had my Civvy two years back was 9K for the engine mount at HASS. Lower arm will be fully replaced at HASS, however you can chose to change the bushing alone outside. If its a keeper for you along with you Bimmer, get it replaced from HASS. I had paid around 6K, for the lower arm and some 4K for the ball joint if I remember right.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 21:28   #9446
BHPian

Quote:
You've correctly diagnosed the problem. I had faced the issue in winters as well, only for the initial few minutes till it sufficiently warms up when oil reaches the seals. The other issue i was facing was that the rack leakage intensified in winter and was barely a drip in the hot Delhi summer. I finally got it replaced last year.

As far as a solution is concerned, till you get it repaired/ replaced, you'll have to bear the noise. I also got it replaced as it was embarassing to see a puddle of oil every morning in the car parking. Although, a PS repair on the Civic has always only been a stop gap solution. The final relief is only post replacement.

Hi coolkurt,

I think I read on the thread that someone got the rack replaced in Mayapuri. Were it you? If yes could you please share the price and reference.
Old 15th October 2019, 23:36   #9447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Going by what I could observe, looks like the lower arm bush might have cracked and needs replacement. Engine mount is also looking weak, although its not making any noise.
Just get the bushes replaced. Much cheaper. The arms seldom get damaged. Engine mount costed me 2k at Ghai. Has lasted 64k kms and counting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post

I think I read on the thread that someone got the rack replaced in Mayapuri. Were it you? If yes could you please share the price and reference.
I gave my car to my trusty mechanic who sourced a rack from Mayapuri. As far as I remember, total damages - 4k.
They take your rack out. And give it to scrap dealers who find a good condition rack as a replacement. Entire process takes a day.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 11:58   #9448
BHPian

What is the screech sound on cranking the engine after a day of parking? I have a 2010 Civic AT done 60,000 km and I can replicate this sound only if I park for more than 18 - 24 hours.

I do not see any leaks in the power steering or any part in the engine bay therefore asking. Engine Service is still 6 months away at dealer.
Old 18th October 2019, 17:32   #9449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Getting hit with the engine mount problem compounded with suspension issue.
An alternate is spareshub.com. You will genuine OE type spares at aftermarket prices. I had ordered several suspension components and was happy with the outcome. If the running is not much then aftermarket is the way to go.

Quote:
Did you run on factory sized tyres or had the 205 65 size instead of 195 65 sized ones?
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 18:14   #9450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
If its a keeper for you along with you Bimmer, get it replaced from HASS. I had paid around 6K, for the lower arm and some 4K for the ball joint if I remember right.
Quote:
Just get the bushes replaced. Much cheaper. The arms seldom get damaged. Engine mount costed me 2k at Ghai. Has lasted 64k kms and counting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
An alternate is spareshub.com. You will genuine OE type spares at aftermarket prices. I had ordered several suspension components and was happy with the outcome. If the running is not much then aftermarket is the way to go.
Thanks so much for the information. I am planning to take it to the HASS for detailed estimate and decide on that with the above info.

will run through spareshub.com to have an understanding on current prices before giving it in.

Will let know how it goes in another 2 weeks time.
(At our place nowadays, almost any kind of Civic parts is taking ~ 7-10 days for procurement by HASS.
Last April, one of my wheel nut was broken due to incorrect torque while wheel rotation and had to run on 4 nuts for 2 weeks :( )
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed