Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2022, 15:30   #5146
BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Received this message from Skoda just now.
Wondering what is this for?
is it again for the same Dieselgate issue?
Model- 2015 2.0Tdi DSG
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_a3a4d3ef87451.jpeg  

Old 13th August 2022, 01:47   #5147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajnya View Post
Model- 2015 2.0Tdi DSG
Yes.

You can read more about it at Skoda India Website.

I never go this update done on my VW Vento 1.6 TDi, since it made mockery of the powerful engine. Simple words; it tamed the beast.

Avoid it at best.

Been doing same since it came out.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 17:24   #5148
BHPian

My 'windshield washer low' warning was coming often so I guessed there was a leak somewhere. It was obvious as I could see the water dripping below when I topped it up.

Took it to the service centre and they gave the shocker that it was a rat bite to the headlight washer pipe (which is connected to the windshield washer system as well). Approximate cost will be Rs. 2500 for replacing that part.

Currently that have wrapped it with black cellotape and it seems to be working. Should I continue as is or get it replaced?
Old 13th August 2022, 22:51   #5149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Model- 2015 2.0Tdi DSG
When I took the car to service center last month to replace the coin holder, they also tried to do this ECU update. Luckily I saw them lifting the bonnet and connecting cables for the update. Since my car is stage 1 remap, I asked them to stop it immediately. In the bill they put a remark that customer did not opt for this update.
Honestly I would avoid any such update even if my car is stock, as normally these will be more towards emission resulting in taming the performance. I could be wrong here, so better confirm it with the service center once, before doing it.
Old 14th August 2022, 12:30   #5150
BHPian

Quote:
Model- 2015 2.0Tdi DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Yes.

You can read more about it at Skoda India Website.
The EA189 diesel engines were not used in cars built on the MQB platform. The first MQB Skoda in India was the 3rd gen Octy. It has a EA288 series diesel engine which is not part of the infamous 'dieselgate' recall. Likely the messaging from Skoda was a mistake.
avinash_clt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 17:51   #5151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahbaz63 View Post
My car has recently completed 5 years & 60,000 KMs. There was a squeaking sound coming from the suspension and upon inspection found that Linkage was faulty, and replaced it with the new one.
Hi Shahbaz, can you share the details of the cost and whether the part was available rightaway. Was it done in Skoda ASS or outside FNG?
Old 14th August 2022, 19:07   #5152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
The EA189 diesel engines were not used in cars built on the MQB platform. The first MQB Skoda in India was the 3rd gen Octy. It has a EA288 series diesel engine which is not part of the infamous 'dieselgate' recall. Likely the messaging from Skoda was a mistake.
Bhpian prajnya Octavia is from 2015 and dieselgate scandal came out in 2014.

I'm pretty sure, his car is affected by dieselgate scandal.
Old 14th August 2022, 19:33   #5153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

No, the TDI engine in Octavia is different from Jetta, Laura, previous superb etc. The Octavia engines were not affected by earlier Dieselgate issues and that’s the reason it was not part of the ECU fix then.
Old 14th August 2022, 19:38   #5154
BHPian

Quote:

The 'dieselgate' and related recall, at least in India has been primarily for vehicles equipped with the EA189 series diesel engines. Separate investigations into the emission performance of EA288 have been progressing elsewhere, but to my limited knowledge not resulted in a recall action (in India). Meaning the MQB Mk3 Octy 2.0TDI (which has EA288) was not part of the original recall action. Happy to be corrected if it's not the case.
avinash_clt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 11:00   #5155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvel View Post
Hi Shahbaz, can you share the details of the cost and whether the part was available rightaway. Was it done in Skoda ASS or outside FNG?
Hi Karvel,

I don't take my car to Skoda ASC, I am getting it serviced outside since last 18 months!
The linkage was bought from aftermarket, I don't remember exact cost but the total cost of service was INR 9000 for Oil change (fully synthetic), Air filter & Linkage replacement.
Old 17th August 2022, 12:34   #5156
BHPian

My car is due for service next month.
I will check when i'm there and ask them not to do anything if the update is for the emission/ dieselgate issue.
Old 17th August 2022, 12:52   #5157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
The 'dieselgate' and related recall, at least in India has been primarily for vehicles equipped with the EA189 series diesel engines. Separate investigations into the emission performance of EA288 have been progressing MKio elsewhere, but to my limited knowledge not resulted in a recall action (in India). Meaning the MQB Mk3 Octy 2.0TDI (which has EA288) was not part of the original recall action. Happy to be corrected if it's not the case.
From whatever i have read in the open source, this is true. The affected engine is the EA189. And the mk3 octavia is not affected. It has EA288
Old 20th August 2022, 18:51   #5158
BHPian

Hey fellow owners, felt some water sloshing about inside the rear door. Is there any drain plug for the same? I have had this happen to me in a fortuner before. There is a rubber drain plug to get rid of the water. Kindly let me know if there is anything similar in the Octavia.

Thanks in advance.
Old 20th August 2022, 19:56   #5159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Replaced battery with an Exide MLDIN60 manufactured in January 2019. New battery voltage is ~13.70. Started up and a bunch of errors popped up with ESC & TPMS errors. Restarted and drove for 200 metres and the errors started disappearing.

Relieved at the smoothness of the exercise.
Quoting my own post from May 2019 on the VAG Dead Battery Society

Changed the battery again today to identical Exide DIN60 for ~5.6K installed. Relieved again at the 10 minute exercise and the total lack of coding, unlike for the Superb (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5375265 (Skoda Superb : Official Review))

Symptoms (couple of months) were slightly longer cranking, mysterious fleeting messages and flickering of the DRLs. This battery in fact lasted 39 months which is impressive compared to it's predecessors.

On an aside, if anyone had told me that in March 2020, a global pandemic would break out, millions would die not only in the developing world, but across the Western world and that we would be masked and fearful for 3++ years, I would have immediately reported that person to our medical + national security apparatus for dementia & fearmongering
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20220820_124932.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20220820_124918.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 20th August 2022 at 20:00.
Old 21st August 2022, 09:16   #5160
BHPian

TLDR:
Where to get my 2019 Octavia 1.8TSI L&K remapped - Code6, Harmonixx, someone who does TVS maps, or someone else entirely?

Longer version:
I've been wanting to get an ECU+TCU remap for my 2019 1.8TSI L&K for quite some time now. There is hardly a logical explanation as to why I need it. It's more of a heart thing. But I will try to list down a couple of things:
  1. The 1.8TSI is a bit lethargic in the first two gears. It does not have the right punch of torque for my liking (Maybe because I was so used to the manual 1.6TDI on my Vento that did not require a lot of code to shift gears and rev more).
  2. I can feel the jerk between 1st and 2nd gears every time I slow down for the speed breakers in my apartment's basement parking. I don't think it's all that great for the gearbox. Would a remap solve this issue? I don't know. Would it?

As I started researching about remaps, I realised a few things. It's not something that any random kid with a laptop should do. You need to know what you are doing with the software so that the electronics and mechanics don't blow up.

There are at least two names that I am considering. Code6 and Harmonixx. From what I have understood, Code6 develops its maps in-house, while Harmonixx uses APR maps. Considering that APR is a tested and proven name for VAG tunes, I am more inclined to them even though Code6 is the most convenient for me with respect to access (Their garage is 20 minutes from where I live).

As I kept exploring, I came across TVS maps as well which if I am right is best for the TCU maps. Now I am super confused. I am based out of Kochi, Kerala. So I'm looking for the best option in Kerala, Tamil Nadu or Karnataka where I can drive easily. Can someone tell me what's the best and safest place to get this done?

Most Viewed