Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2016, 21:37   #661
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonder when the detailed Team BHP review is coming out. Eager to see an impartial and thorough review. As of now, some conflicting opinions on the 3.2 versus 2.2. The latest Autocar review says the 2.2 AT does 0-100 in 12.68 seconds, which is better than earlier reported figures in the press that were almost 1 second slower. The 3.2 does it in 11.22 seconds, which is the best in the segment other than the Trailblazer.

Autocar reports that the 2.2 runs out of steam at 140 kmph while the 3.2 goes all the way to the top speed of 177 kph. I do like to have that extra oomph available occasionally to have some fun in highway runs.

On the other hand all reports so far complain about the 6 speed automatic. However the latest Autocar review is fairly complimentary, no major complaints.

So. All in all, desperately need the TBHP review to get a balanced picture of the Indian Endeavor, how it figures in our type of traffic and road conditions, ideally the review will also cover the MT variant, not much information anywhere on that one at all. Moderators are hopefully listening.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 22:09   #662
BHPian

re: Preview: Ford Endeavour

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post

Autocar reports that the 2.2 runs out of steam at 140 kmph while the 3.2 goes all the way to the top speed of 177 kph. I do like to have that extra oomph available occasionally to have some fun in highway runs.
Which Autocar report are you referring to here. It is indeed a pity if 2.2 runs out of steam at 140! Hard to believe. If this is true this car goes out of my list. I have been following all the reports diligently from Autocar. Which one are you referring here?

I don't remember where they talk about top speeds for Endy or have seen it in their test report.

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 26th January 2016 at 22:15.
Old 26th January 2016, 22:18   #663
Distinguished - BHPian

There is indeed some conflicting reviews on the two engines. From the reviews that I have gone through, only Renuka in ACI has voted the 3.2L engine down. Rest almost all have declared it as the clear winner out of the two. I guess only TBHP's review will clear up things now.
Old 26th January 2016, 22:27   #664
BHPian

Looking through the user manual, looks like 3.2 has a sport mode, where ecu will upshift automatically only at higher engine revs. Also one can shift manually as well. Can someone please confirm?
Old 27th January 2016, 07:31   #665
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Which Autocar report are you referring to here. It is indeed a pity if 2.2 runs out of steam at 140! Hard to believe. If this is true this car goes out of my list. I have been following all the reports diligently from Autocar. Which one are you referring here?

I don't remember where they talk about top speeds for Endy or have seen it in their test report.
I am referring to the latest issue of Autocar released yesterday, where they have done a full drive test of the Endeavor.
Old 27th January 2016, 10:32   #666
BHPian

With so many contradictory views and reviews and the added lackluster response from Sales, I figure the best thing is to wait it out before deciding which one to buy.

Given Ford has made the first move, I am sure Toyota will respond - sooner or later. And by then there will be clarity on capability and drawbacks of the current Endeavour models.
Old 27th January 2016, 11:06   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
Looking through the user manual, looks like 3.2 has a sport mode, where ecu will upshift automatically only at higher engine revs. Also one can shift manually as well. Can someone please confirm?
I think sport mode is available for both 3.2 & 2.2 AT. I'm guessing its the same as Polo GT DSG when it comes to different drive modes

From owners manual - page number 122

Sport Mode and Manual Shifting

Sport mode

Note: In sport (S) mode the transmission operates as normal but gears are selected more quickly and at higher engine speeds.

Note: In sport mode S will be shown in the instrument cluster display.

Note:When towing heavy loads or in hilly terrain, it is recommended that sport (S) mode is selected. This will result in cooler transmission temperatures and additional
engine braking. Switch on sport (S) mode by moving the transmission selector lever from drive (D) towards the driver. Sport (S) mode will remain on until either you shift manually up or down the gears using + and -.
Attached Thumbnails
Preview: Ford Endeavour-ford.jpg  

Preview: Ford Endeavour-vw.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th January 2016 at 15:31. Reason: Removing unwanted spacing.
LionX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 11:38   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
I test drove the 3.2L AT, and saw the sports mode. But I could not locate the manual shift up/down (the + -) button/s. Neither did the sales rep know

Later, I read in the user manual:
"Manual shifting can be done only when the
selector lever is in sport (S). Move the
transmission selector lever forward to
downshift and backward to upshift.
When the vehicle is stationary, only the 1st
and 2nd gears can be selected.
Manual shifting is sequential, therefore
gears cannot be skipped."

Last edited by indusboy : 27th January 2016 at 11:42. Reason: added the note from the manual
Old 27th January 2016, 15:06   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Wonder when the detailed Team BHP review is coming out. Eager to see an impartial and thorough review. As of now, some conflicting opinions on the 3.2 versus 2.2. The latest Autocar review says the 2.2 AT does 0-100 in 12.68 seconds, which is better than earlier reported figures in the press that were almost 1 second slower. The 3.2 does it in 11.22 seconds, which is the best in the segment other than the Trailblazer.

Endevour 2.2 running out of steam at 140mph is hard to beleive. If this is the case then this is definitively quite bad. Moreover i feel 177 kmph for 3.2 ltrs is also nothing great. If this is the case, then i guess we have to rule out 2.2 ltrs as a good and relaxed highway drive. My rexton 2.7 easily touchs 180kmph and can drive the whole day at 140 kmph without much strain to the engine.

I hope the figures pointed out by autocar are not correct.

Last edited by ashroy_6 : 27th January 2016 at 15:09.
Old 27th January 2016, 15:40   #670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
I think sport mode is available for both 3.2 & 2.2 AT. I'm guessing its the same as Polo GT DSG when it comes to different drive modes

From owners manual - page number 122

Sport Mode and Manual Shifting

Sport mode

Note: In sport (S) mode the transmission operates as normal but gears are selected more quickly and at higher engine speeds.

Note: In sport mode S will be shown in the instrument cluster display.

Note:When towing heavy loads or in hilly terrain, it is recommended that sport (S) mode is selected. This will result in cooler transmission temperatures and additional
engine braking. Switch on sport (S) mode by moving the transmission selector lever from drive (D) towards the driver. Sport (S) mode will remain on until either you shift manually up or down the gears using + and -.
Thanks.
This should be a bit of relief (if 3.2 AT is sluggish)...
in sport mode it should hold the rev longer before up shifting and a much more engaged drive, hopefully someone can check it out.
Old 27th January 2016, 17:05   #671
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post

I don't think so that is true. So hold your horses. The 2.2 will surely notch upto to 180 is what was told at the launch by the Ford Engineer.
Old 27th January 2016, 17:17   #672
BHPian

I really do not understand this hullaboo for top speed.

The speed limit for most highways in India is 90kmph (barring a few expressways). It is not safe to be at 140-150kmph either for you, your family and others on the road. As long as the vehicle is smooth enough at 80-100kmph and offers a comfortable ride, you should be happy.

Certainly, top speed cant be a criteria for choosing a SUV.

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 17:49   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post

The speed limit for most highways in India is 90kmph (barring a few expressways). It is not safe to be at 140-150kmph either for you, your family and others on the road. As long as the vehicle is smooth enough at 80-100kmph and offers a comfortable ride, you should be happy.

Rohan
Hi,

Its not about driving at 140-150 kmph as you have rightly pointed out but the fact that how smooth the suv is at 100-120kmph. Any vehicle which can go to 160-180 kmph will usually drive stress free at maybe 100-120 kmph versus a vehicle whose top speed is say 130-140 kmph.

Secondly, the top speed of any vehicle also helps in overtaking specially in highways.
ashroy_6 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 18:02   #674
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post

Rohan
I agree with you rohan; you are being practical. Most of us here, when we buy such big cars, would like to Revv it up occasionally when with friends and test top speeds. The hyd-banglore road is the smoothest of them all. You know driving at 100kph there is like driving in a rickshaw on that road. Usually 120-140 is average there sometimes.

Besides, I also heard that 180KPH certain CKU cars in india are locked?

Last edited by Zappo : 27th January 2016 at 20:14. Reason: Too many typos, including SMSey U and Ur. Please take some time while composing your post. Post corrected.
ravelsnip@gmail is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th January 2016, 18:10   #675
Senior - BHPian

Motoroids have so far got the best review of 2.2 Titanium AT

http://www.motoroids.com/reviews/new...demption-roar/

Some excerpts from the review:
"Hit the open roads and the Endeavour revels in cruising at leisurely engine speeds, it’ll cruise all day long at 120 kph without a crinkle of worry on its face.

Our prince’s smaller steed thus, is good enough for a fast canter, but it never froths its way to a blurry gallop.

The cabin is fantastically well insulated from wind, road and tyre noise and you get to hear the wishes and the whooshes only once you’ve decided to stand on the pedal hurling this behemoth at a velocity north of 140 km/h".

That said this not the type of car for you if you are looking for a highway scorcher. You should look out for a fast hatch/sedan.
Coming to the gearbox, I don't expect this car to switch gears blazing fast, hit that 3 digit mark under 8 seconds.
Even though 2.2 has 10 horses less than 3.0 Fortuner, its a more torquey unit. Of course, Endeavour weighs about 250 Kilo's more. Fortuner 3.0 has figures of 11.82 for 0-100 in comparison Endeavour 2.2 has 12.xx which is not bad.

Last edited by PrideRed : 27th January 2016 at 18:16.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks