Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2016, 18:33   #676
BHPian

re: Preview: Ford Endeavour

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
I really do not understand this hullaboo for top speed.

The speed limit for most highways in India is 90kmph (barring a few expressways). It is not safe to be at 140-150kmph either for you, your family and others on the road. As long as the vehicle is smooth enough at 80-100kmph and offers a comfortable ride, you should be happy.

Certainly, top speed cant be a criteria for choosing a SUV.

Rohan
Thumbs up to you on this Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashroy_6 View Post
Hi,

Any vehicle which can go to 160-180 kmph will usually drive stress free at maybe 100-120 kmph versus a vehicle whose top speed is say 130-140 kmph.

Secondly, the top speed of any vehicle also helps in overtaking specially in highways.
I don't see your logic of stress free driving. A lower power engine will do let's say 140 at a righer RPM than a higher capacity engine. The top speed has barely anything to do with the overtaking. What is most important during an overtaking is the power/torque. For diesel engines, if you are not in the turbo range, try overtaking and see what surprise you get into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravelsnip@gmail View Post
I agree with u rohan, ur practically speaking. Most most of us here when we buy such big car, would like to Revv it up occasionally when with friends and test top speeds.
You can always rev your engine and have the fun at lower speeds. In my opinion the fun is always in the quarter mile runs vs. high speeds on highways which could turn out to be dangerous for others if there is an unexpected situation. How fast your car accelerates is where you really should seek fun. That's just my personal opinion though.
sudeepg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 21:17   #677
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone come across any acceletration video of either the 2.2 or the 3.2 Version?
Old 27th January 2016, 22:11   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indusboy View Post
Lathangi Ford in JP Nagar.
Any ideas how much Lathangi is saying is the wait time? Specifically to the AT Titaniums.

Interested in hearing about ballpark wait time for other dealers also. I like the brown color
Old 28th January 2016, 03:32   #679
Senior - BHPian

Folks!

Can someone confirm if the 2.2 litre engine used in the new endeavour is the same one supplied by Ford to Range Rover and Jaguar ( evoque , discovery sport,XF etc)

Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 06:38   #680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssriram75 View Post
Any ideas how much Lathangi is saying is the wait time? Specifically to the AT Titaniums.

Interested in hearing about ballpark wait time for other dealers also. I like the brown color
No idea about the current wait time. I did a soft booking (3.2 LT 4X AT Titanium) before the launch and have been promised an early February delivery.
indusboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 09:54   #681
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Folks!

Can someone confirm if the 2.2 litre engine used in the new endeavour is the same one supplied by Ford to Range Rover and Jaguar ( evoque , discovery sport,XF etc)

Thanks
It is indeed. AS confirmed by Ford and also a good friend of mine. The engine is same but the tuning is different.
ravelsnip@gmail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 10:00   #682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks!

Thanks
To me the 2.2 should be based on the 2.2 ZSD "Puma" series engine. Ford uses two types of 2.2, one the from the "Puma" series(developed in house) and second 2.2 from "PSA DW" (Peugeot-Citroen developed). While the latter is the one that is used in current Land Rover/Jaguar, the former is the one which is used in Endeavour. The current 2.2 is heavily customized version of Puma 2.2. Also please not that the Puma 2.2 in its original state of tune was used in older Jaguar and Land rover models.

An excerpt from yahoo review of 2.2:

"Ford has had the 2.2-litre ZSD-422 diesel engine in its international portfolio for a few years now, but while developing it for the latest Endeavour, the engine underwent substantial revisions with changes made to its injection system and its breathing process was enhanced by working up its inlet and exhaust systems. The 6-speed automatic trim of the rear-drive model that we drove gets a ZF developed gearbox that handles power delivery quite well, but could be a bit crisper in its reaction".

https://in.finance.yahoo.com/news/fo...094800650.html

Last edited by PrideRed : 28th January 2016 at 10:04.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 13:15   #683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravelsnip@gmail View Post
It is indeed. AS confirmed by Ford and also a good friend of mine. The engine is same but the tuning is different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
To me the 2.2 should be based on the 2.2 ZSD "Puma" series engine. Ford uses two types of 2.2, one the from the "Puma" series(developed in house) and second 2.2 from "PSA DW" (Peugeot-Citroen developed). While the latter is the one that is used in current Land Rover/Jaguar, the former is the one which is used in Endeavour. The current 2.2 is heavily customized version of Puma 2.2. Also please not that the Puma 2.2 in its original state of tune was used in older Jaguar and Land rover

https://in.finance.yahoo.com/news/fo...094800650.html
Thanks guys!
So, in conclusion both 2.2 litre engines are different. thinking they were the same.
Which one is better and more advanced/reliable of the lot?
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 13:24   #684
Team-BHP Support

Cancellation

Even though I was amongst first to book in December , after delaying for a firm answer in past few days , today they have offered earliest possible deliveries as May that too subject to production. Just sent them mail for cancellation and refund of 1 Lac Advance. Will suggest others to double check on deliveries as well before booking unless you are prepared to wait so long . I think they just don't have enough Kits to produce 3,2 and have launched product just to be in market.
Old 28th January 2016, 14:04   #685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys!
So, in conclusion both 2.2 litre engines are different. thinking they were the same.
Which one is better and more advanced/reliable of the lot?
PSA DW 2.2 is a comparatively newer engine(Launched sometime in 2005). It develops more power in Jaguar/Land Rover than the ZSD 2.2. That said the ZSD 2.2 in Endeavour is heavily modified and has decent power/torque figures. Other than PSA DW 2.2 developing more power, for regular usage both should be equally reliable.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 09:35   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Cancellation

Just sent them mail for cancellation and refund of 1 Lac Advance. Will suggest others to double check on deliveries as well before booking unless you are prepared to wait so long . I think they just don't have enough Kits to produce 3,2 and have launched product just to be in market.
With you on this. I was so keen to buy the 3.2 Titanium that I went to the dealership on 20th to book. I was told 4-5 months waiting period minimum. Further follow-up led to only vague answers and absolutely poor sales team response. Hence I decided to hold back for Toyota to fire the salvo while the market feedback on the Endeavour is available to take an informed decision.
Old 29th January 2016, 09:54   #687
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Hence I decided to hold back for Toyota to fire the salvo while the market feedback on the Endeavour is available to take an informed decision.

What salvo from Toyota? Fortuner isn't coming very soon I'm told. Only new launch would be Innova.
Old 29th January 2016, 11:22   #688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
What salvo from Toyota? Fortuner isn't coming very soon I'm told. Only new launch would be Innova.
It wouldn't be surprising if Toyota advances the launch of Fortuner to an earlier date this year. Also the price points may change than what we expected otherwise given that Ford has kept the pricing competitive.

On the contrary, it is also possible that Ford hands over the advantage to Toyota by not making enough volumes available or if the feedback on the Engines is poor. That would let Toyota milk the current model a tad longer and then launch the new one later at a much higher price point.

By the way Innova with its new engine and the refinement also has the ability to eat into Endeavour share from those buyers who are not looking at serious off-roading but are looking at large family SUVs.

Quite possible you are right and nothing will change.

Hopefully, we should have some information around the Auto Show next month.
Old 29th January 2016, 13:35   #689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
It wouldn't be surprising if Toyota advances the launch of Fortuner to an earlier date this year. Also the price points may change than what we expected otherwise given that Ford has kept the pricing competitive.
Toyota had already done this.

They moved from a 2017 release to a June/July 2016 release - at least according to the dealer I was buying the 2015 Fortuner from...
Old 29th January 2016, 14:10   #690
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

ACM Thoughts - Diverse points

Am considering the new Endeavour but am right now on the fence. Reasons:

1) Deliveries - 3.2L min 6 months, 2.2L min 3.5 months. Not really how I go about buying cars.
2) Was considering a vehicle that is:
  • Reliable (Endy - Ticks), Potentially. Use the Ford EcoSport and relative to the TATA Safari, Aria, Laura and even the i10 it has proven to be reliable, so as a brand it is acceptable on this parameter. Though they do NOt have sufficiently acceptable number or quality or locations of Service Centres.
  • Tough looking (Endy - Ticks), For Sure - It is Massive. I like Massive.
  • Big on the Inside (Endy - Partly Fails) - I tried to sit in the middle row bench of the 3.2 AT Titanium (which has a sunroof). I am 6ft tall and my head touches the roof-liner. Then I next tried the Drivers seat. Again the head touches the roof-liner. Yes it is possible to reduce the height of the seat and get into a less erect position but the position I like to sit in is high and erect.
    So next I asked the guys which variant don't have the Roof-Liner and am told that all except the 3.2 Titanium come without the roof liner. Since I just don't fit into the 3.2 Titanium though I can even look at the 2.2 variant since all reports have it pegged as an equally capable performer in most circumstances plus it is 20% more fuel efficient. So next I asked for the 2.2 Titanium AT AWD - DOES not exist one can get AWD and Titanium AT only in the 3.2L not 2.2L. Next moved on to see if 3.2 Trend AWD AT can meet my needs and it misses a lot on the safety and creature comfort kit. Further if I have to take a variant in 2.2 Trend then why the Endy in the first place is a question that pops up. I end up paying 33L for a variant missing on Safety and creature comforts that even the current Fortuner provides (And I fit better in it - but the ride) its all nudging me towards waiting for the Hexa.
  • Something that my old Parents can get into and out of without too much of a bother - (Endy - Fails) Yes it is expected to fail but the Middle Row Access is extra hard in the Endy.
  • Is Value for Money - (Endy - Partly Fails). Yes in 3.2 Variant but am not convinced about the 2.2 variant. Feel that Fortuners smaller engine variant will undercut the Endy significantly and rankly feel the Hexa will be as good a product with more creature comforts and safety kit for 13L less and I should fit in the drivers seat and middle row better.
  • Something that I can live with for 10 years (Endy - Seems to Tick)
  • Good Water Wading Ability - (Endy - Ticks) - 800mm -
  • Occasional 4X4 - (Endy - Ticks) - Love the convenience of a rotary terrain mode and the info display.
  • AT - (Endy - Ticks) - Engine seems to cover the average transmission flaws.
  • Creature Comforts & Safety- (Endy - Partially Ticks) - Safety is missing in all except the Titanium variants even the 2.2 Titanium misses a few of the goodies that I would want, and the Trend misses out big time on Airbags. I like having stuff like Auto Lights, Auto wipers, built in Sat-Nav, Front Sensors (Critical for parking a vehicle of this size) but they are missing in all but the top variant that I don't fit too well into.

Currently am planning to wait it out. Was seriously considering the Endy but neither is going to available off the shelf in the next 6 months nor does it tick all my requirements. The Inside vertical space lost in the top model due to the Panaromic Sunroof is a major issue for me, and the other variants either miss on Safety or AT or AWD also.

Further this leads to the feeling that lower variant are not truly VFM for if I am looking at a 155 Bhp 2.2Ltr engine vehicle that is fully loaded then the Hexa at likely sub 20L fully loaded top variant OTR seems to be a better option. Plus I would fit in better and also entry and exit for my parents would be more reasonable. Besides it now does look cool. Yes the Endy probably looks even better and will definitely will be more reliable.

That said am sitting on the fence and do not discount the Endy but this would not be the brain deciding instead the heart.

Additionally the New Fortuner for most likely similar money as the Endy would also give better resale and is likely to be much improved and hence similar in ride and drive as the Endy also it just may come sooner than later. Then again it too will have a 6 month lead time. No clear solution nor winner.

Last edited by ACM : 29th January 2016 at 14:12.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks