Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2010, 14:13   #556
BHPian

^^ but what exactly is the context in terms of rpm when you mention "powerband" ?

Also, when you say you drive with "throttle", does that mean the use of torque or the cluth and brake method with foot off the accelerator pad ?

lastly, what is "coasting" ?

sorry those may seem stupid questions
Old 15th October 2010, 14:23   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
^^ but what exactly is the context in terms of rpm when you mention "powerband" ?

Also, when you say you drive with "throttle", does that mean the use of torque or the cluth and brake method with foot off the accelerator pad ?

lastly, what is "coasting" ?

sorry those may seem stupid questions
Coasting is very well explained on the driving lessons thread on T-BHP. I learned it from there It's basically is when you are driving a car with the engine on but you are not using the accelerator to propel the car. Driving in neutral is also a method of coasting. Its very dangerous in a highway drive, but I use a lot during city drives (B2B traffic).

I actually meant to say, I wont give any throttle on first and second. Use clutch/break method. Don't know how it may turnout on my clutch life, but the method for sure keeps me cool in the traffic.

Regarding power band, each and every engine has its own RPM range. I am riding a 1.3 DDiS and I believe its power band is in the range of 1800-2800. I am not sure about the figure. That means, there is not much point in revving her above 2800 rpm in lower gears, rather shift up and bring her back in power band.

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 15th October 2010 at 14:27. Reason: add more
Old 21st October 2010, 16:28   #558
BHPian

When upshifting, make sure you push the full thorttle to reach 2K-2.2K RPM range and then go up to the next gear. That will ensure turbo comes into picture in almost every gear and that should help city driving.

Yes, to avoid frequent downshifting in city driving, I meant using this partial clutch + accel trick to remain in the gear you are and avoid momentum loss. Of course you need to be judicious, if the speed comes down way below the range for that gear or there is a upward slope there is no choice but to downshift.

Bottomline,
Use right gear + accel (full throttle upto 2 - 2.2K RPM) for getting the pulling power.

Use partial Clutch + Accel combo for getting gentle pushes.

Hopefully this should ease city and highway driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debugged View Post
Even I've learnt to live with frequent gear shifting between second and first when in bumper to bumper traffic. My only pleasure is looking forward for that empty patch and shift to 3rd gear or higher and wait for turbo to kick-in.

Autocop, Can you explain what style you're talking about? Are you saying not to release clutch completely and accelerate a little at the same time?
Old 21st October 2010, 20:15   #559
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
When upshifting, make sure you push the full thorttle to reach 2K-2.2K RPM range and then go up to the next gear. That will ensure turbo comes into picture in almost every gear and that should help city driving.
Change that number to at least 3k RPM so that the next gear stays above 1.9k RPM. At 2K the turbo barely starts, so shifting up would be taking it completely out of 'push' range.

And why would you ever push the full throttle? NEVER DO THAT IN TRAFFIC - especially in a car with turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
Yes, to avoid frequent downshifting in city driving, I meant using this partial clutch + accel trick to remain in the gear you are and avoid momentum loss. Of course you need to be judicious, if the speed comes down way below the range for that gear or there is a upward slope there is no choice but to downshift.
Yes, I agree if we are discussing the Recipe to murder the clutch.
Old 2nd January 2011, 18:13   #560
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review

How does the ritz compare to the next gen i10? Ritz had more features as compared to the old i10 but now with the new i10 I'd say its altogether a different story. Apart from the k series engine which is a gem, are there any other advantages of the ritz over the new i10?
The top variants of both the cars are priced very similarly, but I feel i10 is more VFM as it offers lots of more features and Ive heard that the interior quality of ritz isnt that good as well.
Please help guys, I am trying to buy a new hatch!!
Thanks
Old 3rd January 2011, 01:03   #561
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoriginal9321 View Post
How does the ritz compare to the next gen i10?
Don't know about features, though it's quite simple - do a simple checklist review and you are done. i10 is smaller, weighs less, small thin tyres - ritz is a more mature drive. In city at lower speeds i10 might ride better over bad road because of softer suspension, but ritz is not bad either.
Old 3rd January 2011, 09:12   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Apart from the k series engine which is a gem, are there any other advantages of the ritz over the new i10?
The top variants of both the cars are priced very similarly.
Thanks
Advantages of Ritz over new i10 -

1. More space
2. Bigger and wider tyres - so better grip and handling at higher speeds
3. Alloy wheels

They are not priced similarly. i10 asta is expensive by at least 30k compared to Ritz ZXi. Keep in mind that adding bigger tyres + wheels will be again 25k additional. So difference is around 50k in total. I haven't read too many reviews about new vtvt kappa engine. If that's still not in the league of K-series engine, I would say Ritz is more VFM.

I think finally it boils down to personal preference. i10 interior has better fit and finish, but Ritz interior is one of the best in all Maruti cars. You can't go wrong with either. Just go with what your heart says.
Old 3rd January 2011, 14:39   #563
BHPian

Quote:
How does the ritz compare to the next gen i10? Ritz had more features as compared to the old i10 but now with the new i10 I'd say its altogether a different story. Apart from the k series engine which is a gem, are there any other advantages of the ritz over the new i10?
The top variants of both the cars are priced very similarly, but I feel i10 is more VFM as it offers lots of more features and Ive heard that the interior quality of ritz isnt that good as well.
Please help guys, I am trying to buy a new hatch!!
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Don't know about features, though it's quite simple - do a simple checklist review and you are done. i10 is smaller, weighs less, small thin tyres - ritz is a more mature drive. In city at lower speeds i10 might ride better over bad road because of softer suspension, but ritz is not bad either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Advantages of Ritz over new i10 -

1. More space
2. Bigger and wider tyres - so better grip and handling at higher speeds
3. Alloy wheels

They are not priced similarly. i10 asta is expensive by at least 30k compared to Ritz ZXi. Keep in mind that adding bigger tyres + wheels will be again 25k additional. So difference is around 50k in total. I haven't read too many reviews about new vtvt kappa engine. If that's still not in the league of K-series engine, I would say Ritz is more VFM.

I think finally it boils down to personal preference. i10 interior has better fit and finish, but Ritz interior is one of the best in all Maruti cars. You can't go wrong with either. Just go with what your heart says.

I had faced a similar dilemma while shortlisting our car a few weeks ago. The finalists were the Ritz LXI and I10 1.2 Magna, both very capable and great cars in their own right. We eventually opted for the I10 as we found that the I10 1.2 Magna had much more to offer than the Ritz LXI, especially both are priced within the similar price band. Our detailed ownership review is available at:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ve-dwarfs.html

Thanks.
Old 3rd January 2011, 14:55   #564
Senior - BHPian

Hello guys, sorry for rather vague question- i recently met a Ritz (petrol) owner and he claims that Ritz petrol is turbo charged. I have never followed this car too close and could not find anything when I searched so I thought I would rather ask the question, please enlighten me
Old 3rd January 2011, 15:01   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Hello guys, sorry for rather vague question- i recently met a Ritz (petrol) owner and he claims that Ritz petrol is turbo charged. I have never followed this car too close and could not find anything when I searched so I thought I would rather ask the question, please enlighten me
This should go into the Thread "Funny comments from non-petrol head friends".

One sincere advice - never ever discuss anything remotely related to cars with this person unless you want to contribute to the thread I mentioned.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2011, 15:02   #566
BHPian

Quote:
NO !!! Stock Ritz petrol is not a turbo charged one. May be the SA told him so. I had a friend of mine who claimed his stock Baleno is a turbo charged one. Once when he complained of low pick up below 3000 rpm, the SA told him that its because, the turbo kicks in at 3000 rpm
Old 3rd January 2011, 15:06   #567
BHPian

Quote:

The Ritz has the 1.2 litre K series engine. It is a Naturally Aspirated engine and definitely not turbo.

The diesel model, which is powered by the 1.3 Fiat licensed engine is turbocharged (badged 1.3 DDiS)
Old 3rd January 2011, 15:27   #568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
This should go into the Thread "Funny comments from non-petrol head friends".

One sincere advice - never ever discuss anything remotely related to cars with this person unless you want to contribute to the thread I mentioned.
LOL good one, this guy is a member I hope he is not seeing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
NO !!! Stock Ritz petrol is not a turbo charged one. May be the SA told him so. I had a friend of mine who claimed his stock Baleno is a turbo charged one. Once when he complained of low pick up below 3000 rpm, the SA told him that its because, the turbo kicks in at 3000 rpm
He even claimed that he is getting great mileage because of turbo. I even waged a meek battle (I hardly know him so I did not want to hurt him, moreover I was not sure) but gave up when he said that even maruti did not put it in the brouchure!! For a few moments I thought I should follow cars more frequently and closely And I am sure he was misinformed by the SM
Old 3rd January 2011, 15:38   #569
BHPian

Quote:
LOL good one, this guy is a member I hope he is not seeing this.

He even claimed that he is getting great mileage because of turbo. I even waged a meek battle (I hardly know him so I did not want to hurt him, moreover I was not sure) but gave up when he said that even maruti did not put it in the brouchure!! For a few moments I thought I should follow cars more frequently and closely And I am sure he was misinformed by the SM
Yes, some SA's do misinform people. I had another incident when my Swift diesel friend drove my swift and told my car is having too much of turbo lag and his doesn't have the same. With confusion in mind, I test drove his car and you know what? His turbo was not giving any boost. I was like stunned for a moment, but he was thankful to me that I found he was driving with a faulty turbo. The issue was solved by a replaced turbo later.
Old 3rd January 2011, 17:29   #570
BHPian

This could be an OT question, but, hoping it will get some attention from fellow Ritz-owners:

I have a Ritz-Zxi and usually try to drive safe. A couple of weeks back, ripped it a bit at 140 kmph on BLR-airport road. I recollect a smell of burning rubber. Since the windows were closed, I'm a little bit worried about where the source of smell could be. Any comments?

The 140 kmph madness didn't last long: I got a speeding ticket and became poorer by Rs. 700.

Thanks,
Su-47

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks