Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2012, 16:58   #2506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
I got my Nuvi 2465LT for 15.9k last week. Seems to be quite good. However, the indexing of maps is not as good as in the SatGuide. I registered it and then did a software (OS) update. Maps are up to date. Only one minor point - leave it plugged in until it installs the drivers before going to www.mygarmin.com
How good are the Garmin maps when compared to MMI?

And will the front windscreen sunfilm affect the communication with satellites? Mine is 3M CR70.
Old 2nd April 2012, 17:44   #2507
J.Ravi

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
And will the front windscreen sunfilm affect the communication with satellites?
No. Once the initial connectivity is established within a couple of minutes, my MMI Lx130 works even inside my home [hall/room]. So far, I have not faced any connectivity issues of my navigator.

Old 2nd April 2012, 21:00   #2508
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

3M CR70 sunfilm is not metalic and should not interfere with any GPS/radio/phone/etc signal. It certainly does not affect GPS on my phone.
Old 3rd April 2012, 09:38   #2509
Senior - BHPian

@Harshvarthan; I have never used MMI so am not qualified to comment. Also, my SatNav maps are two years old, and they are still to release the Garmin version of their September/Oct 2011 maps.

In city driving local knowledge always beats the GPS Navigation. The algorithm in order of preference is NH > SH > local. I see in many places the SH (or even the NH) is now in the middle of town, and may even be the market.
Old 3rd April 2012, 21:26   #2510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
How good are the Garmin maps when compared to MMI?

And will the front windscreen sunfilm affect the communication with satellites? Mine is 3M CR70.
In my experience about a year back, MMI maps were way superior to Garmin maps. Garmin has decent maps in the cities, but outside the cities, their coverage is very poor. MMI has good coverage for most of the areas ( especially Karnataka ), but i found their coverage to be very poor in rural Andhra Pradesh. MMI also makes maps for Garmin devices if I remember correctly, but they are a very costly compared to the Android or Win CE maps.
Old 3rd April 2012, 23:28   #2511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter

In my experience about a year back, MMI maps were way superior to Garmin maps. Garmin has decent maps in the cities, but outside the cities, their coverage is very poor. MMI has good coverage for most of the areas ( especially Karnataka ), but i found their coverage to be very poor in rural Andhra Pradesh. MMI also makes maps for Garmin devices if I remember correctly, but they are a very costly compared to the Android or Win CE maps.
Even I've heard MMI is better than all other maps in India but seems like both MMI and Garmin have updated their maps recently. So I like to know how far has Garmin improved it's maps. Also Garmin's free lifetime updates is more tempting than MMI's expensive updates. And regarding my usage, my priority is within the city, especially Chennai and Bangalore as I don't trust these maps in rural India and MMI is also bad in rural Tamilnadu.
Old 4th April 2012, 10:01   #2512
Senior - BHPian

Since Navteq are the world's biggest map makers, in due course they should also match and then overtake MMI in quality. Also, a true lifetime maps device beats MMI cost-wise. I remember a couple of years ago the Nokia maps (same organisation as Navteq) were pathetic to say the least. Now they have reputedly improved no end.

Anybody trying to bring out India maps faces a big challenge. India is still to be digitised fully!
Old 4th April 2012, 10:35   #2513
Senior - BHPian

Well folks, I recently picked up a Garmin 1300 for real cheap in the US. Now the quest for maps is on and considering the price of MMI what other options do I have ? MMI quoted some thing around 7k for the maps and then additional charges for updates.

Am in no mood to pay 7k to MMI at-least for now and hence looking for cheaper options.
Old 4th April 2012, 11:26   #2514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Well folks, I recently picked up a Garmin 1300 for real cheap in the US. Now the quest for maps is on and considering the price of MMI what other options do I have ? MMI quoted some thing around 7k for the maps and then additional charges for updates.
Not too tough. You can buy SatGuide for about Rs,1200. Not too bad as long as you are dealing with the urban areas.

You can go quasi-legit. Register your unit on Garmin | United States | Home. Then go to www.mygarmin.com and find and download the India map for $99.99. You will need an SD or uSD card for this. I prefer the former as there is one less connection. Get a 2GB card. Then you can activate (I hear that is straight forward). The license is locked to the unit you have and cannot be moved. I hear the maps on uSD card are available in the US for about $60. These are locked to the uSD which can be moved around.
Old 4th April 2012, 11:45   #2515
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks, any ideas on which is a good app to be used as a GPS logger for a smarphone?
Old 4th April 2012, 16:53   #2516
BHPian

Try My Tracks from Google
Old 4th April 2012, 17:51   #2517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post

Am in no mood to pay 7k to MMI at-least for now and hence looking for cheaper options.
rjstyles69, can you let me know how much did you get your Garmin 1300 for in the US? Was it online or instore buy? If online, can you give me the link? I saw Amazon is quoting $92.28.

Last edited by gopikb : 4th April 2012 at 17:57.
Old 4th April 2012, 20:43   #2518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
rjstyles69, can you let me know how much did you get your Garmin 1300 for in the US? Was it online or instore buy? If online, can you give me the link? I saw Amazon is quoting $92.28.
It was a combo offer or something pal. Paid 160 USD for 2 pieces and it was from the daily deals section on Amazon.
Old 5th April 2012, 11:32   #2519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Try My Tracks from Google
It is a wonderful tool.

It has an export option, wherein you can export your recorded track to google-mymaps from the phone itself.

Once exported, you can use it for navigation, to follow the same path in future.

I have a big collection of saved routes made from mytracks and use then regularly.

Last edited by manim : 5th April 2012 at 11:33.
Old 5th April 2012, 20:57   #2520
BHPian

I have a Garmin Nuvi 1490. I too want to save my routes. I tried MapSource software but was not able to do it. I wrote to garmin US but didn't get satisfactory reply. Has anyone done it successfully? I use india maps by satguide.in

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
It is a wonderful tool.

It has an export option, wherein you can export your recorded track to google-mymaps from the phone itself.

Once exported, you can use it for navigation, to follow the same path in future.

I have a big collection of saved routes made from mytracks and use then regularly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks