Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2011, 19:25   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B

Here is the Hulk humming away! Mr. Gopal was asking if I want to take the vehicle tomorrow after a trial run. I would've loved to but I want the electricals back in place. the headlight connections, Oil pressure indicator, turn indicator lights etc. plus the Hulk needs a good scrub!

Old 15th April 2011, 19:47   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Perfect way to celebrate a B'Day for a Jeeper!

Congrats.

Sutripta
Sutripta sir- How did you know my b'day is just around the corner?? Its a perfect b'day gift!!

Thank you so much!

Mods - Please feel free to merge this post with my earlier one. In my excitement to upload the video I forgot to reply on this
Old 15th April 2011, 22:45   #183
Team-BHP Support

Man thats superb the engine is so silent and its at raised RPM of about 800 to 100o i guess!
Old 16th April 2011, 00:42   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Man thats superb the engine is so silent and its at raised RPM of about 800 to 100o i guess!
That is correct! It wasn't running at optimum idling speed. Since the ACTUAL cooling process was yet to begin, it was running at close to 1000 rpm. Am excited/curious to see how it runs at optimum idling speed.

Secondly, I am still concerned about the sound that it makes when you crank the engine. It isn't as bad as how it was originally (it used to sound like cranking up a tractor) but I still feel it is on the higher side (compared to a cute lil thing called DwArF)!

Thirdly - I would want to know if anybody knows of a place in bangalore to procure the rubber mat (felt underneath) for LHD. I got to know it is available for RHD easily.

Fourthly - I am also looking to get the inner rear view mirror fixed and looking for Woriginal one.

Any suggestions?
Old 16th April 2011, 08:16   #185
Senior - BHPian

Shubz,
Belated Birthday wishes to you, there can be no better gift than a newly done up Hurricane for a Jeeper.

The job done on your engine is good and it should give you thousands of cool miles. Hope you are running the engine on an electric fuel pump assist, as the mechanical has a tendency to under perform in hot weather.
Regards,
Old 16th April 2011, 20:42   #186
Team-BHP Support

I saw and heard the hulk today and wow engine has come out sweet. Idle's to a dot and no fuss. Regarding the cranking whine, its actually your starter motor. Mine is a different one (Lucas) which came with newer jeeps and hence sounds different, yours sound very Toyatish and is AOK. Dont bother too much as long as its cranking well.
Old 16th April 2011, 20:50   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Sutripta sir- How did you know my b'day is just around the corner?? Its a perfect b'day gift!!

Thank you so much!
Ve haff our vays! (Like peering at the bottom of the Forums screen!)

Regards
Sutripta
Old 16th April 2011, 22:20   #188
BANNED

Quote:
Here is the Hulk humming away! Mr. Gopal was asking if I want to take the vehicle tomorrow after a trial run. I would've loved to but I want the electricals back in place. the headlight connections, Oil pressure indicator, turn indicator lights etc. plus the Hulk needs a good scrub!

Thats some sweet sound. Gopal never misses anything, i really admire him for his finesse.

I guess the RPM is a bit high right now.

Would love to see it in its complete glory soon. All the Best.

I've SEEN my friends Willys CJ3B idle, and i could only SEE.

And the way it crawls.... its funny to see the jeep run at a slow consistent speed without anyone in the drivers seat....
Old 17th April 2011, 15:33   #189
Senior - BHPian

thanks everybody! without you guys support, all this would not have been possible.

Regarding starter motor - Would it make sense to check with another motor? I have got a spare starter motor (thanks to UBS sir)

Am glad I got to know Gopal (Special thanks to Jaggu for this). Hope to get the electricals done (not major) and plan to have the Hulk on road.

Pavan sir - Gopal was talking about the crawl too. put the vehicle on gear on an even road and quietly walk along with it without having to sit in the driver seat. Lets see if he plans to put that into action

Floor mat/IRVM - Any suggestions?
H/L domes - Plain lens (as in DwArF) v/s ribbed (as in Hulk) - Which of the two are better?
Radio Antenna - Available anywhere?
The spark plug cables - got the old ones put. Tried Maruti cables - Length short. I believe Isuzu cables are a right fit. Any suggestions? Or should I go to ebay?
Gear Knobs?
Wheel hub caps?

Would really appreciate suggestions on the same.

Last edited by Shubz : 17th April 2011 at 15:35.
Old 18th April 2011, 13:20   #190
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1) Floor mat/IRVM - Any suggestions?
2) H/L domes - Plain lens (as in DwArF) v/s ribbed (as in Hulk) - Which of the two are better?
3)Radio Antenna - Available anywhere?
4)The spark plug cables - got the old ones put. Tried Maruti cables - Length short. I believe Isuzu cables are a right fit. Any suggestions? Or should I go to ebay?
5)Gear Knobs?
6)Wheel hub caps?.
1) Mat whatever you get, ensure that it does not attract moisture, so a rubber based ones are best though aesthetically might not go well with your jeep. What i have in my jeep is easily available, but under neath its jute or something. So you have to dry it before putting in back after a wash or rain.

2) I went with one which had good throw and hence picked this one with clear lens and different reflector set up. Again aesthetically on your jeep a big?

3) No idea

4) Yes i have heard conti wires are long enough, but do check on the type of connectors at the distributor end. I wasted one set of OE cables coz the cup did not match the leads.

5) Get the OE ones naah. Gopal should be able to help through his contacts.

6) Did not uderstand? Hub caps, you mean the rear grease cups?
Old 18th April 2011, 14:44   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The springs - I took this pic as the earlier assembly was flawed with one spring assembled upside down.
Belated Bday wishes. Is the valve spring to the extreme left OK? It looks a bit more compressed.

Quote:
My guess the rebores (done locally) are generally too tight and hence the risk of seizure if not completely freed up.
What causes this? ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
How was the honing done? The crosshatching should have been clearly visible in the picture.
Initial ring wear is reduced depending on the nature of honing done, I am not sure of the kind of honing being done outside.

Quote:
Am I missing something? (You wanting details of the 3 stage cutting/ grinding, lapping, seat width, what?)
I want to know how the Valve seat angles are maintained during the process. How is the machining checked and criteria for clearance (leak allowed).

Spike
Old 18th April 2011, 15:03   #192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
What causes this? ^^
General misconception that a "tight" bore will give max ring sealing and silent engine after runin Most of the times without proper heat cycle if these "tight" bores are run, they land up with partial or full seizure! So only way out is standing running in.

Can you believe the Honda car dealership workshop follows this, even for fresh factory cylinder and apparently its Honda recommended procedure!
Old 18th April 2011, 15:20   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you believe the Honda car dealership workshop follows this, even for fresh factory cylinder and apparently its Honda recommended procedure!
Surprising! Never heard about this before. Talk about Japanese Engineering? Did they really say it is a recommended procedure?

Spike

OT- You own a Honda too, which model?
Old 18th April 2011, 17:57   #194
BHPian

Belated birthday wishes to you Sir! Congrats again, your Hulk engine job has come out really well. I will be getting my CJ3B next weekend. Lets go out for a small OTR. Happy driving

-Karumbaiah
Old 18th April 2011, 20:45   #195
Senior - BHPian

@Jaggu -
1) Mat - I sure would want something to dampen the vibrations/heat
2)H/L Domes - Was only a query. No plans of changing it.
4) Cables - Have asked Babu to look out for matching ones
5) Knobs - Checked with Gopal, wasn't too sure if he will be able to get the woriginal ones.
6) Yes, grease cups

I found The Hulk - WILLYS CJ3B-hub-cap.jpg

@SPIKE: Is the valve spring to the extreme left OK? - Too late to check that now.

@Karumbaiah - Thank you sir. The next few weeks till May 8th - I am not sure if I can be seen anywhere beyond my family. (thread ceremony for my son scheduled on 8th May). But surely welcome to come along with your Jeep anytime.

I believe Stand-in Running in is done with. Now road test. Couldn't make it for long over the weekend as an event is coming up on the home front and I am not allowed to breathe Jeep for long.

Electrician to attend to the wiring tomorrow. H/L wiring to be redone as it is in a kind of mini mess. Oil pressure indicator to be put as we now have a new switch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks