Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2007, 02:29   #6751
Senior - BHPian

I'm in the US actually so can just get it with me. However question is whether amps blow up? Is the extra cash for warranty worth it?
Old 2nd August 2007, 09:31   #6752
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
I'm in the US actually so can just get it with me. However question is whether amps blow up? Is the extra cash for warranty worth it?
Yes very much worth it. Amps don't blow up easily but electronic circuits are never reliable.
Old 2nd August 2007, 09:37   #6753
Senior - BHPian

Heh then I'm buying locally... the price differential isn't that substantial anyway.
Old 2nd August 2007, 09:53   #6754
BHPian

Alright Noob here

Need some Audio advice for my Swift.
I have been using Alpine 9827 HU in my Octy for the last 3 years and i am extremely happy with it.
What i would like to know is, since i have heard and liked Alpine, should i stick with it or are there better options in say Pio ?
Considering that i am going for a swift, what kind of setup is ideal ?
To Sump it up, here are my questions,

1] I like Alpine, would prefer it, if there is a better option , wouldnt mind, what to do ?
2] Which Comp should i go for in the front ?
3] Which Speakers at the rear ? I heard the swift has arrangement for speakers in the rear door, use that or mount 6x9 on the shelf ?
4] What Sub to go for ? As in what brand and rating etc.
5] Should i go for a single Multichannel amp [as is the case in my octi] or go for 2 amps, 1 multichannel to drive the speakers and 1 mono to drive the Sub ?
6] I got the install done from Bafna Cars,Ghole Road, pune for my Octy. Everything working fine, stick to him for this install or go to some other place? Even if it required driving down to Mumbai i dont mind

As for the budget, i am looking at 40k but i can extend it if required to say 60k max. I hope that much will be sufficient.
I guess that pretty much sums it up. So, the gurus out here, help this noob please !

Amey
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:47   #6755
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
If you use the 75.4, perhaps Navin and some others will like you better for choosing a Class AB amp for subwoofer duty over a Class D.
Actually I am big on using Class D for subs. Then again I am thinking of 6550 triodes (going PP just to save on iron) for my next sub (Augie 15 dipole).
Old 2nd August 2007, 12:14   #6756
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
1] I like Alpine, would prefer it, if there is a better option , wouldnt mind, what to do ?
2] Which Comp should i go for in the front ?
3] Which Speakers at the rear? I heard the swift has arrangement for speakers in the rear door, use that or mount 6x9 on the shelf ?
4] What Sub to go for ? As in what brand and rating etc.
5] Should i go for a single Multichannel amp [as is the case in my octi] or go for 2 amps, 1 multichannel to drive the speakers and 1 mono to drive the Sub?
6] I got the install done from Bafna Cars,Ghole Road, pune for my Octy. Everything working fine, stick to him for this install or go to some other place? Even if it required driving down to Mumbai i dont mind
As for the budget, i am looking at 40k but i can extend it if required to say 60k max. I hope that much will be sufficient.
1. Alpine is good. If I were you I'd stick to it. I have used Alpine since the mid 80s (maybe even earlier). Clarion and Eclipse have poor A.S.S in India.

2. For the front and rear speakers I'd listen to Infinity, Alpine, Illusion Electra, Hertz-Energy, Polk and Boston.

3. If you are getting a sub no need for the 6x9s.

4. For a sub you can get Infinty, Alpine, Image Dynamics etc..

5. A 4ch+mono amp combo will be slightly cheaper than a similarly rated 5/6 ch. amp. Unless having an absolultely clean install wiht one amp is important you can get the 4ch+mono combo.

6. Stick to your existing supplier.

For 60K here is a sample system
Spend 10K on damping (6K) wires (3K) and install.
HU: Alpine 9881: 9K
Amps: 22-26K: JBL 4060 and 301.1 or JBL 755.6
Speakers: 16K: Infinty 6020 and 6022
Sub: JBL GT4-12 in 1.25 cu.ft box: 7K
Total: 64-68K. After discount you should fit it all into 60K esp if you ue the 4ch+mono combo.
Old 2nd August 2007, 14:46   #6757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Actually I am big on using Class D for subs. Then again I am thinking of 6550 triodes (going PP just to save on iron) for my next sub (Augie 15 dipole).
Looking ICE going HT!!! PP?

Hmmm... dipole with 15" drivers. Whose? Which ones? You planning to create REAL earthquakes in your building or what?
Old 2nd August 2007, 14:52   #6758
BHPian

@ navin Sir,
Thanks a lot for your prompt response to my query ! It will definitely help me get a decent audio setup.

@ Moral Fibre,
Thanks for your inputs through PM

Amey
Old 2nd August 2007, 20:33   #6759

Quote:
For 40K you can get 1 or 2 but not both. :-) for USB you have to sacfricie the bass.

Set up for 1.

Set up for 2.

Set up for USB

Set up fpr everything you want:
Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I've decided to settle for a headunit with DVD and therefore have increased my budget. Tried shopping around and got this configuration.

Configuration:
1. Head Unit: JVC KD-AVX33.
2. Rear Speakers: Pioneer TS-D690R Yellow Cone, 350W 2 Way, 1-Pair.
3. Components: JBL 6".
4. Sub-Woofer: Pioneer 1200W 12" subs, 2 nos. in the boot.
5. Amplifier: a) JBL 301.1 300Wx1 Mono block amp. - for sub-woofers.
b) JBL 4 channel 80Wx4 amp for rear speaker & components.
6. BOSS wiring kit.
7. Sub-woofer box and speaker plank.

What's your advice on this? Do i need to add or change anything?

Many Thanks.
Old 2nd August 2007, 22:53   #6760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep_sasken View Post
Hi,
Configuration:
1. Head Unit: JVC KD-AVX33.
2. Rear Speakers: Pioneer TS-D690R Yellow Cone, 350W 2 Way, 1-Pair.
3. Components: JBL 6".
4. Sub-Woofer: Pioneer 1200W 12" subs, 2 nos. in the boot.
5. Amplifier: a) JBL 301.1 300Wx1 Mono block amp. - for sub-woofers.
b) JBL 4 channel 80Wx4 amp for rear speaker & components.
6. BOSS wiring kit.
7. Sub-woofer box and speaker plank.
HU fine
Rear speaker..they are bad...get the JBL 6x9 or any other brand like illusion electra they make a kinds of good thump.
Front JBL 607 are fine.
woofer-> pioneer is ok if you are on budget but JBL will sound much more musical
Amp. the 301.1 would be ok for a single sub but to drive two sub it is a little less...
which JBL 4 channel have you choosen
No No BOSS wiring. they are bad...get a JBL wiring or any other brand.
What type of wood is being used which design is it sealed ported.

Sorry to confuse you more...
Old 3rd August 2007, 10:17   #6761
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Looking ICE going HT!!! PP?

Hmmm... dipole with 15" drivers. Whose? Which ones? You planning to create REAL earthquakes in your building or what?
I was talking of home audio. i tend to lean on home audio more as my experience in car audio is limited.

PP = push=pull. PP OPTs are a lot smaller and cheaper than SE OPTs.

15" dipole is not a lot of bass. in fact I will be hainv 2 15" per channel operating upto say 200hz. since they are in dipole there will be a 6db HP slope. I hope to compensate for this slope using choice of drivers, acoustic filtering, wings etc..hence the Augies they were degined for dipole.

I used to have a system that had a pair of JBL 2245 woofers in B460 ported boxes (I called them bass bins) for the bass. The midbass were 4 Focal 8N515 XOed to a pair of Morel MDT33. This system could hit 140db! Now THAT is a "home-wrecker"! (BTW units mentioned are for a pait of speakers - that means it was "only" 1 2245 per channel).
Old 3rd August 2007, 10:22   #6762
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
HU fine
Rear speaker..JBL 6x9 or any other brand like illusion electra they make a kinds of good thump.
Front JBL 607 are fine.
woofer-> pioneer is ok if you are on budget but JBL will sound much more musical
Amp. the 301.1 would be ok for a single sub but to drive two sub it is a little less...
which JBL 4 channel have you choosen
No No BOSS wiring. they are bad...get a JBL wiring or any other brand.
What type of wood is being used which design is it sealed ported....
1. Agree wtih LBM. there are better speakers than Pio. JBL, Alpine, Illusion, Hertz to name a few
2. If you are using a sub why use 6x9s. you can do ok with 6" cox as well.
3. To drive 2 subs think 601.1. The JBL GT4-12 is 5.5K that is less than 2K more than the Pio 307. I think it is worht the difference.
4. JBL dont make wiring kis anymore. Audison, Monter, etc. though are available.
5.MDF is a good simple material for sub boxes. Ply is a no no UNLESS it is void free marine grade ply. Fiberglass, Carbon fiber etc are diffcult to soruce, manage and mould for a DIY.
Old 3rd August 2007, 10:55   #6763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
15" dipole is not a lot of bass. in fact I will be hainv 2 15" per channel operating upto say 200hz. since they are in dipole there will be a 6db HP slope. I hope to compensate for this slope using choice of drivers, acoustic filtering, wings etc..hence the Augies they were degined for dipole.
Looks like your next speakers shall be something similar to this one (?)
Old 3rd August 2007, 11:05   #6764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Minus the plaster statue in the 4th thumbnail. More like the 6th photo. Carbon fiber or black anodized alu in the FG - honed to a mirror finish after clear lacquer!!!
Old 3rd August 2007, 11:06   #6765
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
very similar midrange will be the Supravox 165-64 (not bicone) tweeter might be the G2si or something similar (not decided - it must be bipole which rules out dome tweeters). other midrange options are the Supravox 215 or Visaton B200 but I fear beaming above between 2K and 4K (where I expect the tweeter to take over).

1. It will be less deep (max 7", hopefully iunder 6")
2. it will have 5-6" wings on either side inside of wings will be coated with foam
3. it will have a spine
4. It will have front and rear grills to hid all the business parts.
5. it will be biamped using 6550 PP triode (the speakers will be tested using EL34s but the amp can be changed to 6550 ot even KT88 when everythig is final).
6. expect completion in 2009 so lets return to ICE.

Last edited by navin : 3rd August 2007 at 11:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks