Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2020, 12:46   #7711
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalu View Post
We have about 4 adults and a kid at home, but no space for side by side refrigerator.

Looking at brands such as Whirlpool, LG & Samsung but no sure about Haier.

The wife demands one which has got good space and consumes less energy.

Once the appliances shops are open need to narrow down on models.

Any guidance based on what your guys currently at home and the reliability of the refrigerator

Cheers
We are the same in number at home. Here is the fact about refrigerators (or rather the Kitchen in general) - if the ladies of the house love their kitchen and enjoy working in the kitchen, then no amount of space (refrigerator included) is enough

We have this: https://www.samsung.com/in/refrigera...RT47K6238UTTL/

Using this since 4 years now and haven't had any issue so far. Space management is better than similar models form LG that we explored. Samsung and LG should be equally good. I have heard good things about Haier but haven't used it.

I love the color of the fridge above and it looks sabulous in our kitchen, space is great and also there are no door handles for kids to open it easily

But mind it, there is no lock/key to lock it.

Please compare the space management inside the unit once you visit the showrooms.

For senior ladies at home having any issues with their back or feet due to age, consider options with freezer at bottom.

Also, take a measuring tape with yourself when you visit. This is important as it is recommended to have some space between the walls on three sides of the fridge. So measure the space where you will be keeping it and check out options accordingly.

Energy consumption will be similar across the brands available on the floor. Not much you can do about it. Pick one with good current ratings - They keep on updating the ratings.

Side-by-side refrigerators are useful only if you are big time meat and other frozen food consumer. Otherwise those are useless and take more space and power than necessary. One of my relatives bought this for the looks of it and then ended up with buying another small second fridge for regular items as the one half of the first one was not enough.

Regards,
Sunil

Last edited by sunilch : 13th May 2020 at 12:48.
sunilch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 14:53   #7712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
...We have this: https://www.samsung.com/in/refrigera...RT47K6238UTTL/

Using this since 4 years now and haven't had any issue so far. Space management is better than similar models form LG that we explored. Samsung and LG should be equally good. I have heard good things about Haier but haven't used it......
Thanks for the suggestions Sunil.

I would need my fridge to run on Generator backup as well due to which i need to consider the ampere load. How much ampere does your fridge need to function?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 13th May 2020 at 17:20. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 13th May 2020, 17:06   #7713
Senior - BHPian

Any pointers for a not too expensive dishwasher that will suit Indian vessels and conditions? Thinking of doing away with the maid permanently post lock down. Right now we are paying her but washing the dishes ourselves.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 17:18   #7714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Any pointers for a not too expensive dishwasher that will suit Indian vessels and conditions? Thinking of doing away with the maid permanently post lock down. Right now we are paying her but washing the dishes ourselves.

Hi, quoting my own post below as an answer to one of the posts earlier in this thread.

I had bought Bosch dishwasher in India and used it for an year before selling it off while relocating. Mighty impressed if you ask me. Just you need to get used a bit and shift primarily to stainless steel utensils which are dishwasher safe.

I think it costed me around 33k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Hi I bought one 5 months back. The prime reason was to get rid of the dependency on maids and also the fact that I hate leaving unwashed dishes on the counter overnight.

My views to your questions.

* Does it clean the utensils properly? Especially the utensils which are used to prepare our Indian dishes (masala residues etc.)

Ans: Yes it does. And more often than not does a better job than manual cleaning. Normally for heavily stained dishes my machine has a intensive kadhai mode as well. However important to note that most of the nonstick kadhais are not dishwasher safe. Even if they are, you are better off cleaning them manually as the harsh detergent used in dishwasher powder may damage the coating over prolonged use. Mainly you may need to upgrade your utensils to dishwasher safe ones if they are not so already.

* Do the utensils need to be pre-washed first before loading into the machine? OR do we only need to remove the residue and then directly load it to the machine?

Ans. My dishwasher (Bosch) does not require the dishes to be pre washed. Just remove the residue and load. The machine does the rest.

* From reading online, I understand that the dishwasher is usually set to run at night, after the dirty dishes used throughout the day are loaded into it – so if we use a dishwasher, should we have 3 sets of utensils – one to use for each time of the day?

Ans. It is logical and economical to run the dishwasher once a day after it is full. However most will have an option to run at half load as well.

* How good is it in cleaning odd shaped items like flasks, pressure cookers etc

Ans. Dishwasher cleans with jets of water that are sprayed from the arms. If the flask has a narrow opening the jets may not reach all the internal areas. Aluminium cookers and utensils gets scarred and discoloured in dish washer other than that there is no problem. I wash my pressure cookers in dish washer. It takes up a lot of space though.

* Why does this machine require salt?

The salt is a softening agent. It is used when water is hard. In my machine we can set the amount of salt that is used in every wash depending on how hard the water is.
vibbs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 17:46   #7715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalu View Post
Thanks for the suggestions Sunil.

I would need my fridge to run on Generator backup as well due to which i need to consider the ampere load. How much ampere does your fridge need to function?
Opps, the currently present stickers do not specify any ampere load but only the desired Voltage (220 V / 50 Hz). You can look for the product brochure on the link above to check the ampere load.
Old 14th May 2020, 15:01   #7716
Senior - BHPian

I got a great price on this one in Bangalore. Almost 10K off. And it's imported from Korea. Feather touch controls, 4 swing arm with three water sprays etc. Waiting for installers to come since LG has switched off all lines. This model can be controlled even from your workplace using your phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvprasad View Post
Lg dishwasher at 49k is a good price, I remember seeing display prices at 54k in reliance, 52k in Croma, may I know where you were able to get it at 49k, also has installation been done recently.Any pointers on table fans please.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-img_3398.jpg  

The Home Appliance thread-img_3788.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 16:59   #7717
BHPian

Amazon basics dishwasher at 29k seems to be a decent low-cost option, once delivery is allowed to red zones
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-1589455781414.jpg  

Last edited by dvprasad : 14th May 2020 at 17:01.
dvprasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 17:04   #7718
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest you not go for a cheaper/inexperienced brand since these are daily use items.Suggest you stick to LG/Bosch/Siemens even if they are 30% more expensive. These brands are pretty experienced in the dishwasher business and have years of R&D in the area.
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 17:14   #7719
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, IFB, though only a shadow of its former self now, still makes good dishwashers. We have been using them since 7-8 years if I remember correctly. It did had an issue once but no major shunt ever. It has been a lifesaver during the lockdown and life without maid.
Old 14th May 2020, 17:34   #7720
Senior - BHPian

I have a Bosch dishwasher and it's pretty good.

Bosch 12 Place Settings Dishwasher (SMS66GW01I, White) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07JW77MVJ/..._yjtVEbE49SNZC

Got it around Diwali last year for around 28k after all discounts. It's a solid machine and we are very happy with the quality of the washing.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 18:08   #7721
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Amazon basics dishwasher at 29k seems to be a decent low-cost option, once delivery is allowed to red zones
Well, I dislike the Amazon-Basics business model, which it to use their own stats to see what sells well for other sellers, and then make and sell it themselves cheaper.

Mind you, that does not always stop me buying an Amazon-Basics product <Blush>. But, I'd buy for things like cables and low-cost items. They do have to economise on production to compete, and for a long-term high-cost domestic appliance, I'd recommend staying with the known brands.

Spares and support might be an issue too. This time next year, Amazon may or may not be branding and selling dishwashers. The major appliance manufacturers certainly will be.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 18:37   #7722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
I had a problem with my Bosch dishwasher. After running for 30- 40 minutes it'd stop and hang. The key panel would become inoperable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
Our Bosch dish washer shows the error code E19 at the end of wash cycle.
Thanks for the updates. Our Bosch Dishwasher has been repaired and back to working condition now. The Valve in the Water Metrics was not working but they replaced the entire Water Metrics and also the Drain Pump as a precautionary move. All repair was done under warranty and no charges.

In terms of the root cause, there were two things the technician pointed to as suspect. One is the quality of water but i doubt it since we get Cauvery water in Bangalore. And the other is that the drain outlet pipe travels a bit upwards about 8 inches before entering into the drain outlet. So that is another suspect.

To address the water quality, is there any Filter available for Dishwasher? I saw some the filters available for Washing Machines from Water Science and Purifit (URL) but none for Dishwasher. Looking for any easy to fit water filters for Dishwasher...
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 19:02   #7723
Senior - BHPian

Hearing about your case and about many other breakdowns I have taken 3 years additional warranty from LG (2+3) by paying Rs 6,800 (4 visits a year for 5 years to clean it thoroughly). I believe the dishwasher needs deep cleaning every three months. I checked with them if they will install the pre-inlet filter which is there on my washing machine, but they replied that in LG it comes as default, and showed that block to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Our Bosch Dishwasher has been repaired and back to working condition now. The Valve in the Water Metrics was not working but they replaced the entire Water Metrics and also the Drain Pump
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 19:24   #7724
BHPian

My Bosch dishwasher came with a small filter that one can install before the inlet pipe.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-1589637256276.jpg  

rdst_1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 20:51   #7725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Hearing about your case and about many other breakdowns I have taken 3 years additional warranty from LG (2+3) by paying Rs 6,800 (4 visits a year for 5 years to clean it thoroughly)
Yes - that is a good move and total peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
My Bosch dishwasher came with a small filter that one can install before the inlet pipe.
Interesting - which model of Bosch Dishwasher do you have and do you know if this is available as a spare part that can be purchased?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks