Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2020, 14:07   #8401
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Its not about it being food grade. There is a process for this (Treated Panels), else the paint cant stand the heat
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
You are correct, we need to get it repainted using food grade paint. This was told to me by the service person.
Old 27th November 2020, 15:10   #8402
BHPian

Quote:
You are correct, we need to get it repainted using food grade paint. This was told to me by the service person.

So, you used the oven for 5 years with the rust? Somehow I am not comfortable using it and hence stopped using it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Its not about it being food grade. There is a process for this (Treated Panels), else the paint cant stand the heat
I'm glad my LG microwave has chrome plating, never knew this was a thing. Will have to clean the insides more often. I'm surprised they've not done anything to take care of this rust problem which seems to be quite common. Not sure if it the food residue on the paint or just the moisture from normal heating that is the triggers the rust formation.

Correction - it is stainless steel according to description on Amazon, but a magnet sticks to the interior, so must be a different grade of stainless steel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Hey Guys, any recommendations on a good all in one microwave?
!
You might want to consider a stainless steel model given the rust problem discussed above.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 27th November 2020 at 17:01. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 27th November 2020, 15:43   #8403
BHPian

Quote:
So, you used the oven for 5 years with the rust? Somehow I am not comfortable using it and hence stopped using it.
In my case, the rust was not on the inside rather it was on the outer shell, thus I did not have any issues in using it since there was no chance of rust ever interacting with the cavity where food is placed. One time the technician did apply some primer sort of stuff but it didn't help the matters much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Correction - it is stainless steel according to description on Amazon, but a magnet sticks to the interior, so must be a different grade of stainless steel.
Quote:
You might want to consider a stainless steel model given the rust problem discussed above.
This is the main reason I went with Samsung this time. They have a coated surface on offer and offer warranty for the surface coating as well. Else i am thru and thru LG household.
Old 27th November 2020, 16:05   #8404
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Sorry to hear that. If the cover and stand didn't help then its most likely the overall moisture level is really high in washroom (Assuming due to limited ventilation)
Yes, it is. It's after all a bathroom. But my earlier LG automatic withstood it for a decade with no problems whatsover. Even when I junked it, there were zero problems with the electronics.

Quote:
The model you have is painted or pre-coated sheet ?
Nor relevant. It's a problem with unprotected PCB. Not with the body.

Quote:
What was the feedback from LG service ?
They said it's bound to happen with all their current models. They replaced the PCB 3-4 times in the warranty period without any issues.
Old 1st December 2020, 09:54   #8405
Senior - BHPian

After close to 14 years of service, our Samsung fridge has started giving problems. Compressor is not working properly with less cooling effect. Planning to change it to a side by side version. Which is a good brand that we can look for? I have been seeing lot of ads on Haier branded products. Are they good or should I stick with Samsung/LG/Bosch?

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 1st December 2020 at 09:55.
Old 1st December 2020, 10:06   #8406
BHPian

So i finally decided to purchase a dishwasher, only to find a 6 month waiting for Bosch.
The shop has however offered to provide Siemens saying thats its the same product.

Siemens is not as well a known brand in India in home appliances market.

Even if they are manufactured in same factory/ serviced by same agency - is there is an issue with parts supply in the long run ?

Is it worthwhile picking up Siemens or better to wait for Bosch supply chains to get fullfill the order
Old 1st December 2020, 10:29   #8407
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
..or should I stick with Samsung/LG/Bosch?
Can share our experience with the LG 500 litre double door. 2 years now, and 2 service calls. First was our usage mistake, and needed complete defrosting. Second issue needed part replacement.

So not being confident of LG, we recently picked up a Godrej eon 270 litre for our other place.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 09:07   #8408
BHPian

Thinking of getting electric blankets for my parents. Any recommendations? What should I be looking for in the technical specifications? I don't see any machine washable ones on Amazon (India). Do the heating elements use 230V directly, or is there a step-down transformer? What safety features are essential?
Old 10th December 2020, 13:25   #8409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thinking of getting electric blankets for my parents.
Do they live in a really cold place? I mean, with the temperature dropping to single digits, or even below freezing? In the Northern India winter, or up in the mountains, it might be justified, but anywhere else in Southern India, I doubt it very much.

I loved mine, in my old, cold, no-central-heating London house. Good ones are expensive, and it was only in my later years there that I had one. Not-so-good ones, I don't know, but I would worry about safety.

Yes, they run on mains electricity. Mine was an under blanket. There are over blankets too, but I don't have any experience: I just went with a high-tog-value (insulation) duvet.

I don't know if they can be washed. Maybe not: I seem to remember dire warnings about not spilling fluid on them.

They must be used properly. There may be an all-night setting; if not, then they are only for pre-heat. If you use a higher setting you will soon wake up feeling like you are cooking! Done that a few times. They have their own gadget discipline for use: if your parents are fine with that sort of thing, they will be able to get on with one. If not, they won't.

But seriously, again... where do your parents live? If there is snow outside the door in winter, an electric blanket might be wonderful. They are snug and luxurious in a cold climate.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 13:38   #8410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thinking of getting electric blankets for my parents. Any recommendations? What should I be looking for in the technical specifications? I don't see any machine washable ones on Amazon (India). Do the heating elements use 230V directly, or is there a step-down transformer? What safety features are essential?
Shouldn't you look for a room heater instead ? Maybe along with some humidifier ?
srishiva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 13:44   #8411
BHPian

Quote:
I don't see any machine washable ones on Amazon (India). Do the heating elements use 230V directly, or is there a step-down transformer? What safety features are essential?
Doubt you will get any machine washable ones. One I had while in Michigan could not be washed - accordingly to the instructions. It was more hassle than it was worth. No matter the safety ratings on that thing, I always was suspicions and stopped using it after a while. If I were to use a similar made in India product, I would be doubly suspicions [rules, regulations, standards and their compliance governing consumer product safety in India].

You will get blankets that can be plugged directly to the wall outlet running on 230V. Typical safety involves shock proofing and over heat protection.
Miyata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 13:46   #8412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Do they live in a really cold place? I mean, with the temperature dropping to single digits, or even below freezing? In the Northern India winter, or up in the mountains, it might be justified, but anywhere else in Southern India, I doubt it very much.

But seriously, again... where do your parents live? If there is snow outside the door in winter, an electric blanket might be wonderful. They are snug and luxurious in a cold climate.
It's all relative. I can't sleep without a fan on full speed in Bangalore, but it's damp and cool.

With age and a slowing metabolism it's definitely nice to have something warm around you - plus I'm sure it helps with bodyaches. My parents are here in Bangalore in a ground floor apartment that gets little sunshine.

I've used an electric blanket and I couldn't stand more than a few minutes of it even in freezing weather. It's a different feeling than being in a heated room.

I was looking for an electric blanket as an alternative to a room heater, given that the heater would use enormous amounts of energy compared to the electric blanket.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 14:07   #8413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Parents used to have a heater pad. It was a very good quality large (3'x5') flexible/foldable cloth heating pad for warming blankets & cotton mattresses, it was said to've been used for 30+ years back in my childhood itself!

The pad was only ever dry-cleaned and immediate measures for stains was to clean with a spray of diluted hydrogen peroxide followed by a wipe down with dry cloth.

Remember it being disposed-off after it stopped working having been left unused for years.

Would suggest getting such kind of room heaters instead. Safe+No cleaning hassle.

If blankets are getting cold during the evenings, they can be spread out & the heater can be directed at the bed.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 10th December 2020 at 14:12.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 14:47   #8414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
... No matter the safety ratings on that thing, I always was suspicions and stopped using it after a while. If I were to use a similar made in India product, I would be doubly suspicions [rules, regulations, standards and their compliance governing consumer product safety in India].
I'm afraid we might be sounding an anti-national note here . But seriously, I very much agree. An electric blanket is something that can apply mains voltage directly to the body.

In my 1950s British childhood, my parents considered them unsafe. But then, they considered pressure cookers unsafe too. They were over cautious.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 15:34   #8415
BHPian

Quote:
I have a death in my extended family who were in UK from fire catching up electric blanket. Although that was more than 30 years ago but I'm still weary of this type of product.

Better buy a oil filled heater. Winter is only for two months in India. We run AC for rest of the 10 months, the room heater is not going to consume more than a AC.
archat68 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks