Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2015, 10:17   #2296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Guys, can you suggest a decent powered Subwoofer around the 8K range? I've purchased a Pioneer AVR and have my existing Mordaunt Short floorstanders. I'm also getting the Micca MB42 as surrounds. I am just looking for a cheap, decent sub.
You can check out the Blaupunkt GTB 8A which is an active powered subwoofer. Though it is meant for car use, I have a friend who is using at home and it really gives good sound with punch. It is available for around 7k on online sites. Do check it out.
Old 1st February 2015, 11:04   #2297
BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadhok View Post
Thanks. Wouldn't a home theatre deliver a better sound experience at this price? (approx 20K).
kmadhok,
Of-course with a home theatre system you will get un-matched sound quality and a different viewing experience with those surround sound. But did not want to go in for a home theatre due to all those wires running around. And with the home theatre we have (an LG set), we hardly ever use the DVD player.
With the sound bar, the TV stand is clutter free. The subwoofer requires just a power source. It connects to the sound bar using blue tooth. The bar requires a power source and I have used a HDMI cable to connect it to the TV. And the best part is that I just have to use only one remote controller. The Set Top Box remote controller is used to control all.

Quote:
Guys, can you suggest a decent powered Subwoofer around the 8K range? I've purchased a Pioneer AVR and have my existing Mordaunt Short floorstanders. I'm also getting the Micca MB42 as surrounds. I am just looking for a cheap, decent sub.
Naveen, If it is only the sub-woofer that you need, dont you think it would be better and in-expensive to make it, rather than buying a ready made one. In this way you can specify the shape and size of the woofer box to suit your TV stand, or even have 2 sub woofers built in to the same box for that real BOOM BOOM.
Old 2nd February 2015, 12:52   #2298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
kmadhok,
Of-course with a home theatre system you will get un-matched sound quality and a different viewing experience with those surround sound. But did not want to go in for a home theatre due to all those wires running around. And with the home theatre we have (an LG set), we hardly ever use the DVD player.
With the sound bar, the TV stand is clutter free. The subwoofer requires just a power source. It connects to the sound bar using blue tooth. The bar requires a power source and I have used a HDMI cable to connect it to the TV. And the best part is that I just have to use only one remote controller. The Set Top Box remote controller is used to control all.
Agreed. I am currently in a place which already has the internal wiring done for the home theatre system. But not sure how long I will be here. If I move then I will need to make sure the new place has the facility for the wiring (I hear the new types of construction Myone (or something like that) does not allow for modifications on the wall to add additional power points or concealed wiring for the Home theatre).
I dont have a need for the DVD or BLU Ray either so an additional overhead of junk collecting at home. But with most HD channels coming in DOLBY DIGITAL I think those will be better to watch with a home theatre.
Guess I need to first choose between Home Theatre or Sound bar and then zero in on the brand/model.
Had you auditioned soundbars of other brands before LG has one in the 12-13K range but has an output of 120W and a wired Subwoofer. There is some philips soundbar in the 20K range as well.
Old 2nd February 2015, 13:23   #2299
Senior - BHPian

Re: Soundbars shops in Bangalore

Quote:
Hi,
Am looking for 2 pieces of advice.
1. Does anyone have any first hand exp and recommendation for sound bars?
I am looking for a simple extra speaker to my TV, whose speakers are no longer any good.
2. Does anyone have recommendations on a good store which can help with the above purchase? Even Sony center and Samsung brand shops did not have a display unit of their own sound bars.
Thanks, kmadhok
I have been in your shoes and found answers to both of your questions at the Reliance Digital, Phoenix Market City mall, Mahadevapura. They had a decent collection (Philips, JBL, Boston Acoustics, LG, Samsung etc) and after listening to couple of them, I brought a BA sound bar.

Market City also have couple of high end audio shops and you can try them if you want something more exotic. I remember auditioning couple of excellent sounds bars in these shops, but they were out of my budget at that time.

Ah Sorry - Just now I noticed that you are located at Mumbai, so not sure my answers will be useful for you. Just leaving them here in case if it helps any one from Bangalore.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 2nd February 2015 at 13:25.
Old 2nd February 2015, 14:14   #2300
BHPian

Re: Soundbars shops in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I have been in your shoes and found answers to both of your questions at the Reliance Digital, Phoenix Market City mall, Mahadevapura. They had a decent collection (Philips, JBL, Boston Acoustics, LG, Samsung etc) and after listening to couple of them, I brought a BA sound bar.

Market City also have couple of high end audio shops and you can try them if you want something more exotic. I remember auditioning couple of excellent sounds bars in these shops, but they were out of my budget at that time.

Ah Sorry - Just now I noticed that you are located at Mumbai, so not sure my answers will be useful for you. Just leaving them here in case if it helps any one from Bangalore.

--Anoop
Thanks. I have moved to Bangalore. Forgot to update my location in Team-BHP. Let me check if I can visit the Phoenix Market City Mall.
Old 2nd February 2015, 15:10   #2301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
You can check out the Blaupunkt GTB 8A which is an active powered subwoofer. Though it is meant for car use, I have a friend who is using at home and it really gives good sound with punch. It is available for around 7k on online sites. Do check it out.
Thanks for the recco. Looks decent enough to sit in a room. Though it looks like it take 2 RCA inputs? as in a L R? And with a built-in amp, guess it might be an overkill.

Quote:
Naveen, If it is only the sub-woofer that you need, dont you think it would be better and in-expensive to make it, rather than buying a ready made one. In this way you can specify the shape and size of the woofer box to suit your TV stand, or even have 2 sub woofers built in to the same box for that real BOOM BOOM.
Maybe I should go down this road. But....a person to do a good job of fixing up a sub.
Old 2nd February 2015, 16:34   #2302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the recco. Looks decent enough to sit in a room. Though it looks like it take 2 RCA inputs? as in a L R? And with a built-in amp, guess it might be an overkill.

Maybe I should go down this road. But....a person to do a good job of fixing up a sub.
Yes it has 2 RCA inputs, but works even if you connect only one! Basically it filters the bass sounds from both the channels (e.g explosions left and right) to coordinate with the recorded sounds. If you connect it to the Sub out from your Pioneer AVR, you will not face any issues as that carries Bass sounds from both channels.

Getting a custom built subwoofer is much more difficult as the size and the volume of the sound box has to be perfectly matched to the speaker so I would not recommend that!

Last edited by Behemoth : 2nd February 2015 at 16:36.
Old 2nd February 2015, 17:07   #2303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yes it has 2 RCA inputs, but works even if you connect only one! Basically it filters the bass sounds from both the channels (e.g explosions left and right) to coordinate with the recorded sounds. If you connect it to the Sub out from your Pioneer AVR, you will not face any issues as that carries Bass sounds from both channels.

Getting a custom built subwoofer is much more difficult as the size and the volume of the sound box has to be perfectly matched to the speaker so I would not recommend that!
Thanks much for clarifying that point. Ok, sounds like the best option so far. I have to wait a few weeks and then will plonk down the moolah on this!
Old 6th February 2015, 11:17   #2304
BHPian

Has anyone had a demo of the Violet 3d wireless home theatre systems.
http://violet3d.com/
Old 6th February 2015, 11:18   #2305
BHPian

Quote:
kmadhok,
So I eventually bought the LG sound bar NB2540. Was considering the Samsung HW-H450 2.1 (approx 18K) and another samsunug model (approx 8k) but they did not have the 8K model in stock.The deal I got on LG NB2540 (approx 40% off MRP approx 14K got for 8K) got me to pick that up.
Didnt find that I was saving any wires by getting a wireless subwoofer. The subwoofer connects wirelessly to the speaker so that wire is gone, but then the sub woofer needs it own power source so that wire is extra and also means an extra plug point.
what I did not like abt my LG sound bar was that if, it is connected to a source there is no indicator light showing that. While installation I was a little worried that I was able to connect my phone via bluetooth but there was no light on the sound bar and no sound. Eventually realized I had to increase the volume of the sound bar.
For those looking for something similar in Bangalore. I picked this up from the Unilet Store in HSR 27th Main. They have upto 50% off on most appliances sale going on. choice is limited, but if they have a model you like, then you can consider checking them. Not sure if other stores have the same offer.
Old 7th February 2015, 06:14   #2306
BHPian

Quote:
So I eventually bought the LG sound bar NB2540. Was considering the Samsung HW-H450 2.1 (approx 18K) and another samsunug model (approx 8k) but they did not have the 8K model in stock.The deal I got on LG NB2540 (approx 40% off MRP approx 14K got for 8K) got me to pick that up.
Didnt find that I was saving any wires by getting a wireless subwoofer. The subwoofer connects wirelessly to the speaker so that wire is gone, but then the sub woofer needs it own power source so that wire is extra and also means an extra plug point.
what I did not like abt my LG sound bar was that if, it is connected to a source there is no indicator light showing that. While installation I was a little worried that I was able to connect my phone via bluetooth but there was no light on the sound bar and no sound. Eventually realized I had to increase the volume of the sound bar.
So it looks like you have finally found what you are looking for.
I had checked an LG one also, don't remember the model. That too sounded good, but since I had a Samsung TV, went in for the Samsung model. I hope you are using a HDMI cable to connect it to the TV. There is a slight difference in sound quality between connections using the HDMI and the supplied RCA cable.
And yes the sub woofer requires a power supply, but at-least you are freed of one extra wire.
Old 7th February 2015, 08:16   #2307
BHPian

Which Home theater system?

Was in Helsinki last week and was in tears when I saw the prices of the sound bars there when I didn't have space to carry 😂
The Home Theater thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1423277091.268983.jpg
The Home Theater thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1423277117.735629.jpg
I think they were priced at less that half the price here. The Yamaha 7.1 sound bar with wireless sub was ~12k

Last edited by diyguy : 7th February 2015 at 08:18.
Old 7th February 2015, 08:43   #2308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Was in Helsinki last week and was in tears when I saw the prices of the sound bars there when I didn't have space to carry ?de02

I think they were priced at less that half the price here. The Yamaha 7.1 sound bar with wireless sub was ~12k
You should have checked in the duty free section as well, no weight restrictions on purchasing there
Old 16th February 2015, 16:52   #2309
Senior - BHPian

Pioneer's Andrew Jones series, especially SP-FS52 seems to be a good set and very VFM.

I also have 'read' about these and Paradigm Monitor 7. Image T5 is another set I have in mind ( if I can push my budget ...really push!).

Experts do comment. AVR will be from Onkyo ( either 535 or 636)
Old 16th February 2015, 18:56   #2310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Pioneer's Andrew Jones series, especially SP-FS52 seems to be a good set and very VFM.
Auditioned the Andrew Jones speaker recently with a pioneer avr, they sound great and real value for money. The speakers don't look great from aesthetic point of view . So I am in a dilemma for those speakers ( better half insists on good looks than sound as it occupies significant amount of real estate)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks