Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2012, 08:27   #11491
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivmarwaha View Post
Any first hand reviews / views on sony miro with 800mhz processor running ICS. Online reviews give it a good rating. The weakest link seems to be the processor and RAM.
At 14.5k I find it a bit too overpriced for a 800MHz processor. Expect multi-tasking to be a bit slow, otherwise the phone should perform decently.
Old 20th September 2012, 11:43   #11492
Senior - BHPian

Galaxy Note 2 put up for preorder. Desktop dock free with every pre-ordered phone.

http://www.gsmarena.com/galaxy_note_...-news-4832.php
Old 20th September 2012, 12:40   #11493
BHPian

Hi All, I am planning step up to android. I had been using Nokia only for last 10 years.
For me the main attraction is GPS navigation and internet use while traveling. But i am not ready to spent too much since the depreciation is too much for a phone .
I decided to get a pre owned Samsung Galaxy S2(Being a proven one IMO) from Cowboom.com from any friends in US. Have seen S2 starting at 230$.
Anyone used this portal for shopping? How is there service. I have seen mixed online reviews. And what about getting a used one?
Old 20th September 2012, 17:25   #11494
Senior - BHPian

^^^: Not a great idea to go in for a used Mobile.

Go for a new one and enjoy 60% depreciation!
Old 20th September 2012, 17:53   #11495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm
Hi All, I am planning step up to android. I had been using Nokia only for last 10 years.
For me the main attraction is GPS navigation and internet use while traveling. But i am not ready to spent too much since the depreciation is too much for a phone .
I decided to get a pre owned Samsung Galaxy S2(Being a proven one IMO) from Cowboom.com from any friends in US. Have seen S2 starting at 230$.
Anyone used this portal for shopping? How is there service. I have seen mixed online reviews. And what about getting a used one?
You can check out Craig list. Org if u have friends in USA. You will get super deals there. You will find new mobiles for a cheaper price than India. Only thing is we need to unlock it, which is pretty easy for an android phone.

I got HTC One X for $250 last month.
Old 20th September 2012, 17:58   #11496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
^^^: Not a great idea to go in for a used Mobile.

Go for a new one and enjoy 60% depreciation!
How it can be made enjoyable if you don't own a business and claim depreciation ?

I am asking seriously if there is a way out for salaried people to take depreciation benefit for mobiles in tax returns like car lease ?
Old 20th September 2012, 18:24   #11497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivmarwaha View Post
Any first hand reviews / views on sony miro with 800mhz processor running ICS. Online reviews give it a good rating. The weakest link seems to be the processor and RAM.
The specs of Miro don't justify the price point. Tipo is selling for 9.5k.

For the extra 5k, all you get is a marginally bigger screen, front camera, slightly better rear camera and deep Facebook integration.

Not worth it, unless you are a heavy Facebook user.

Wait for Xperia J.

Rohan
Old 20th September 2012, 18:31   #11498
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26

How it can be made enjoyable if you don't own a business and claim depreciation ? ?
Lol. That was a sarcastic remark that you didn't get. Try selling an almost brand new phone in the used market, and you'll get the idea.

Quote:
I am asking seriously if there is a way out for salaried people to take depreciation benefit for mobiles in tax returns like car lease ?
No.
Old 20th September 2012, 19:04   #11499
BHPian

Thanks All for the replies and suggestions. I will check craig list also. Main reason i am considering used market from US is it is dirt cheap compared to India. And these online shops has return policy also in case of any issues.
And about unlocking, Shall we do it our self or do we need to get help of a mobile shop guy?
The one i checked in cowboom is from AT&T.

Last edited by devil_klm : 20th September 2012 at 19:07.
Old 20th September 2012, 23:04   #11500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post

CPU Dual-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A9
GPU PowerVR SGX540
Regards,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
For me it only shows 1000 Mhz as the max.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20092012008.jpg
Mine is also 1200MHz. It shows in AnTuTu after I performed a hard reset for ADB root.
Old 21st September 2012, 00:20   #11501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi

While this is perhaps the best custom Rom for Defy, I did find two shortcomings. There is no speed dial option and the "reject call with SMS" function has just one message. I would have liked more options there.
I just noticed that in Wajkiui Rom, there is no way to share an app directly from the phone. In stock Rom or in Apex launcher, I could long press on an app icon and share option would appear.

Any way other than going into the Play store and sharing from there?
Old 21st September 2012, 07:10   #11502
BHPian

Planning to step into Android world since May'12. However, the wait is getting longer and longer. I have been using Nokia for last 7 years. The criteria to be met are not so tough considering that I will keep the phone for next 4 to 5 years
1. Dual Core with minimum 768 MB RAM
2. Screen size 3.5 to 4.3 inch
3. Both Rear (minimum 5 mp) and Front Facing camera
4. SD Card Slot or built-in 32 GB
5. Price upto 20K INR
6. Minimum ICS
7. Battery - minimum 1500 mAh

So following are the phones I short-listed, though I am basically waiting for Ace 2

Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 - Meets all the criteria - 3.8"/768MB/800MHz Dual Core/SD Card. However, still not launched in India. Wrote to Samsung CEO and got call from a technical support person in India who confirmed that it will not be launched in next 2 months and also could not commit its launch in Jan/Dec. I am still eagerly waiting for it. Also there is news of it getting upgraded to JB.

Samsung Galaxy S Advance: A serious contender after the price drop from 24K to 19K INR. However, so many news on network connectivity issues is pushing me off. Should I be considering it?

Sony Xperia S: Only phone from Sony Xperia Range which is currently satisfying all requirements. Also, it is being considered by Google for AOSP. Also has good CPU and GPU. However, price is only the issue. If it were below 25K INR, I could have pushed my budget. Best price at Adexmart is 25990 INR. A

Samsung Galaxy S2: I have waited so long for Ace 2 that I don't want to consider S2 now. Also beyond budget.

I am not considering other brands - HTC (Financial situation), LG (Don't want to take risk), Motorola (Shutting down in India), Google Nexus (missed buying from Flipkart at 19K, no longer officially available)
Old 21st September 2012, 09:47   #11503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post

I am not considering other brands - HTC (Financial situation), LG (Don't want to take risk), Motorola (Shutting down in India),...
To me, it appears you are looking at investing in stocks of mobile companies, rather than buying one piece of handset.
Are you certain, you would want to exclude three good manufacturers out due to these reasons?
Old 21st September 2012, 09:49   #11504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi
Planning to step into Android world since May'12.

Samsung Galaxy S Advance: A serious contender after the price drop from 24K to 19K INR. However, so many news on network connectivity issues is pushing me off. Should I be considering it?
Hi

The SGSA does have network issues out of the box if you on the DDLF rom. But samsung has released a rom.XXLE2 which has resolved the network issues. I am.saying this confidently as i have a.SGSA. i used to face aa lot of network issues but upon reading online on various forums i got to know that there are 2 ways to this solution.
1. Go to samsung service centre and they would change the mother board. But there are many cases where that didnt help and then fight with Samsung for refund. In this case a few were lucky.

2. Download and install XXLE2. Which took a all of 20-25 mins and the problem solved for ever.

If you look up on line for "download and install xxle2 on s advance" you will come across several sites where instructions are given and also if u read through the user feedback; you shall notice that network issue is resolved.

SGSA is a fantastic hardware and well speced too. And at 19.5k its a VFM product.

On the other hand i wouldnt give Motorola Atrix 2 a miss. Its another amazing you can lay your hands on. Also, Motorola may not shut over night and AFAIK their service centers are going to be operational.

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 21st September 2012 at 09:52.
Old 21st September 2012, 09:56   #11505
Senior - BHPian

Anybody got the Sony Xperia Tipo ? A friend of mine is interested in an entry level Android and Tipo seems like the perfect phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Planning to step into Android world since May'12. However, the wait is getting longer and longer. I have been using Nokia for last 7 years. The criteria to be met are not so tough considering that I will keep the phone for next 4 to 5 years
1. Dual Core with minimum 768 MB RAM
2. Screen size 3.5 to 4.3 inch
3. Both Rear (minimum 5 mp) and Front Facing camera
4. SD Card Slot or built-in 32 GB
5. Price upto 20K INR
6. Minimum ICS
7. Battery - minimum 1500 mAh
I don't think there is any phone currently in the Indian market which satisfies all of the above criteria. You will have to compromise in some area, or wait for a few months.

I also have a similar requirement and still have not been able to choose a phone which suits my requirement.

Sony Xperia U - 8 GB memory, no memory card slot

Sony Xperia Sola - No front camera, non-removable battery

Sony Xperia P - 16 GB memory, no memory card slot, non-removable battery, overpriced

Samsung Galaxy S Advance - Network issue, ICS/JB not confirmed

Samusung Galaxy Ace 2 - No news of launch in India. May not even make it to India, just like Galaxy W.

Why can't Samsung launch Ace 2 in India ? It has practically no competition, it would sell like hot cakes.

Rohan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks