Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2013, 17:06   #13396
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I use a Galaxy S3, moved from a iPhone. Finding it difficult to navigate through the touch. Feels un responsive at times, messaging is sort of pain (Auto Correct does not work as effectively as Apple) and the OS feels slow. RAM usage on Task Manager shows 7xx out of 833 MB even at IDLE. There are No Active applications and still there is so much memory occupied.

Any suggestions to clear up the memory effectively? Any better way for messaging / autocorrect on the S3?
Old 4th January 2013, 19:17   #13397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker View Post
I use a Galaxy S3, moved from a iPhone. Finding it difficult to navigate through the touch. Feels un responsive at times, messaging is sort of pain (Auto Correct does not work as effectively as Apple) and the OS feels slow. RAM usage on Task Manager shows 7xx out of 833 MB even at IDLE. There are No Active applications and still there is so much memory occupied.

Any suggestions to clear up the memory effectively? Any better way for messaging / autocorrect on the S3?
Download SwiftKey from the market. The full version is free for 1 month, so you can buy it if if you like it.
And about the lag which you are talking about, I heard the same from my friend who just updated his S3 a few weeks back. To be frank, Samsung's Touchwiz UI isn't good, so if possible, root the phone and install a ROM, it should take care of your problems!
Old 4th January 2013, 21:06   #13398
BHPian

Quote:
Any better way for messaging / autocorrect on the S3?
Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Download SwiftKey from the market. The full version is free for 1 month, so you can buy it if if you like it.

http://www.swiftkey.net/flow/

The latest beta version.Go to the link on your mobile browser and download.Works wonders compared to the default android messaging app on my Xperia Ion and Arc S.
Old 4th January 2013, 23:22   #13399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Hello Guys,
I have this query for a friend who upgraded from Nokia X1-01 to Micromax A110. How can he easily transfer the contacts? The old phone does not seem to have any USB/Bluetooth connectivity so PC Sync is not an option. Is there any other way to transfer contact other then using the SIM card to do this ?
My Nokia E52 exported all contacts as .vcf which got imported into MMX A110.
Old 4th January 2013, 23:42   #13400
Senior - BHPian

So, it seems like, My happy days with One V are coming to an end. Yesterday, evening the earphone jack started behaving weirdly, Whenever i connect speakers/Earphones, One of the speakers play, Other one makes hissing kinds noise. And that wasn't enough,

Today, when i plugged out phone from charging, It started crashing and rebooting every now and then, Since morning it's same way. Did factory reset, Hard reset, Nothing worked.

And yes, there's a catch, With airplane mode on, It doesn't crashes/reboots, Only when i switch off airplane mode, It starts crashing

So, in afternoon, I got worried alot, searched Xda, called up customer care, Which did tried their best to solve this, But they told me, it's hardware issue and i need to take it to service center, They even said, they are hearing this problem for the first time.

So, went online, searched for service center on HTC's website, Took address of one of their service center in District center, janak puri, Only to found out on reaching that, service center was closed 1.5 yrs back and now there's a clothing shop there

Again called up customer care, asked them for service center and most of them were in 20-25 kms away from my home, So took address and numbers of two service centers and by this time, It was already 5 in the evening. Called up service center in gurgaon, Asked them, till when they are open, The guy on the phone, seems like, was not happy with his life and replied rudely, 5-30. I said okay and he kept the phone.

So, will be going to other service center at Inderlok tomorrow in the morning, The attitude of gurgaon guy put me off.

All in all, Due to this my day was pretty much ruined up. I hope, I don't have to face this trauma anymore and I get my phone back working, as it was few days back.

Let's see, How it goes, Fingres crossed, hoping for the best.

Cheers!
Old 5th January 2013, 01:37   #13401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Have a look at

1) Fancy Widgets.
2) Transparent weather clock.

I have used Fancy widgets free version for more than 6 months now and now using Transparent weather clock.
Thank you bhp_maniac. Got Transparent weather clock, it is simple and brilliant and works well for me. Going to keep it
Old 5th January 2013, 12:06   #13402
BHPian

Here's an excellent and honest article from an iOS user who switched to Nexus 4.

http://gizmodo.com/5973073/an-iphone...s-4-completely
Old 6th January 2013, 07:24   #13403
BHPian

I am running ICS 404 with CWM on Micromax A90S. When GPS is on and any related app is running like Maps/Waze, GPS test etc, GPS icon appears is notification bar. It stays there once locked. However if I minimize the app pressing the home key, the app runs in the background but the GPS signal disappears. So when the app is launched again, it takes time to lock. Is this default in Android?
Old 6th January 2013, 07:43   #13404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
I am running ICS 404 with CWM on Micromax A90S. When GPS is on and any related app is running like Maps/Waze, GPS test etc, GPS icon appears is notification bar. It stays there once locked. However if I minimize the app pressing the home key, the app runs in the background but the GPS signal disappears. So when the app is launched again, it takes time to lock. Is this default in Android?
Yes, it's normal. I've noticed the same on multiple android devices.
Old 7th January 2013, 00:21   #13405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
So, it seems like, My happy days with One V are ................snip...................Cheers!
So, the phone is with service centre, and they promised it to return in max. 7 days. I hope it doesn't get extended.

Fingers croseed.
Old 7th January 2013, 01:37   #13406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Here's an excellent and honest article from an iOS user who switched to Nexus 4.

An excellent article. Captures the comparison beautifully.
Old 7th January 2013, 07:53   #13407
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post

What I find slightly funny is he keeps expounding that he is unlike any other normal user,but an intensive one ,and most of what he has mentioned is what any of us here does, and most are aware of too if we've ever synced any apple device ever.
Old 7th January 2013, 09:32   #13408
BHPian

Quote:

I hope your S3 is running on the latest JB rom. If yes, I have heard lot of people complaining on the JB ROM for S3. Its buggy, an update will be there soon. Meanwhile, why can't you try a factory reset?
Old 7th January 2013, 09:42   #13409
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post

I hope your S3 is running on the latest JB rom. If yes, I have heard lot of people complaining on the JB ROM for S3. Its buggy, an update will be there soon. Meanwhile, why can't you try a factory reset?
Tell me about it. Upgraded to jelly bean and was ok for a couple of days. After that project butter suddenly turned into project stucko. The damn thing kept slowing down and getting stuck on simple operations.

Still struggling with it on my s3.
Old 7th January 2013, 10:34   #13410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
So, the phone is with service centre, and they promised it to return in max. 7 days. I hope it doesn't get extended.

Fingers croseed.
Hi Sameer .

This issue can also be a software issue ( i remember a similar issue occured on my J105i). Did you try doing a factory reset ?

@Vid6639

Have you tried rooting your phone? Custom ROMs are way better than the stock roms. CyanogenMod 10.1(Android JB 4.1.2)
might be worth taking a look at .

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th January 2013 at 22:53.

Most Viewed