Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2015, 10:11   #21661
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Do give a detailed feedback whenever possible. I hope you got the premier finish 551 model with the full hd screen and premium back finish.
The model I have is the Asus Zenfone 2 ZE551ML - http://www.flipkart.com/asus-zenfone...eSelected=true

Screen is Full HD but premium back finish - not sure?

I love the display. It is much better than what reviews said. This is a reason I went ahead with my decision to buy this phone rather than the Samsung J7.

On initial usage, battery life is a little less. It gives me the same usage time as my old Alcatel OneTouch Idol X+ - considering that it has a 2500 mAh battery whereas the Zenfone has a 3000 mAh battery! But I had read reviews of the battery and so am ready for this usage. But I have heard rumours that an update will be released for Lollipop soon - this might fix this issue. However, if it doesn't happen, I will root and remove the bloatware on the phone. The screenshot shows usage - Wifi was on most of the time.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20150807061734.jpg

Phone takes 2 hrs and 20 mins to charge to 100% from 2%. From around 12% to 100% it took around 1hr 45 mins.

No glitches, no hangs so far. I prefer Nova so cannot comment on the ZenUI, though I plan to check it out sometime.

Though the volume rocker is on the back, it is intuitive! And double-tap to bring the screen to life is helpful.

Am liking the phone so far - but cannot wait to get some more battery life - waiting for that update to Lollipop.
Old 7th August 2015, 16:26   #21662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
The model I have is the Asus Zenfone 2
Thanks for the short and sweet review naveenroy. I ordered mine today - http://www.flipkart.com/asus-zenfone...9949&srno=b_15 Its the 4GB RAM 32GB Storage 2.3Ghz model in Golden color. Got it for 17k on the offer valid till tomorrow which gives 1000 Rs. off through the app plus 10% additional off through my SBI card, total saving of 3k on the displayed price of 19,999/-. This one comes with the additional 18W boost master fast charger. Lets hope the battery keeps pace with the hardware which is looking fantastic on paper. Also ordered a Moto E (2nd gen) for my mother at 6k.

Last edited by dkaile : 7th August 2015 at 16:28.
Old 7th August 2015, 16:43   #21663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the short and sweet review naveenroy. I ordered mine today - .......Got it for 17k on the offer valid till tomorrow which gives 1000 Rs. off through the app plus 10% additional off through my SBI card, total saving of 3k on the displayed price of 19,999/-. This one comes with the additional 18W boost master fast charger. Lets hope the battery keeps pace with the hardware which is looking fantastic on paper. Also ordered a Moto E (2nd gen) for my mother at 6k.
Yes, that is a very good deal for the 4GB and 2.3 gig processor model! And the fast charger should help. Do let me know your review of the phone too, importantly the battery life. Hehe, don't get surprised by the amount of bloatware installed though - aargh, everything with an ASUS name that too
Old 7th August 2015, 17:02   #21664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
don't get surprised by the amount of bloatware installed though
I have read reviewers advising to use the Chrome browser instead of the default browser which is said to increase battery life substantially. Also many apps can be hidden in the app drawer so they don't start and thus leading to better battery life. Also use start manager app to disable useless apps. Further using a single sim (as I plan to do) increases battery life.
Some useful links - http://www.ibtimes.co.in/asus-zenfon...p-guide-629560
http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_zenfone...eview-1240.php
Old 7th August 2015, 17:57   #21665
Distinguished - BHPian

Speaking on the basis of my tablet experience, I actually like the Asus'-own apps. I find them very well designed and usable. As dkaile says, unwanted ones can be simply ignored or disabled.

I wish the Asus apps were available for other platforms.

==========================

Xiaomi Freebies.. They exist! I got my M4i screen guard arrived today. It is a little smaller than the front, which, I suspect, will not feel or look good. Might try it anyway: I can always take it off.

But fitting these things is a pain. They provide a "practice" piece, but I still might get a local-shop guy to do it for me.

My Holiday with the 5-inch M4i... I found it so usable that I didn't even bother to get a SIM for the 7-inch tablet. I think I used the tablet to book one train ticket, as all the card entry stuff might have been a little tough on the smaller screen. Of course, bigger is easier, bor browsing, but the difference between the Defy and the M4i amounts to usable.
Old 7th August 2015, 18:37   #21666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Speaking on the basis of my tablet experience, I actually like the Asus'-own apps. I find them very well designed and usable. As dkaile says, unwanted ones can be simply ignored or disabled.

I wish the Asus apps were available for other platforms.

Xiaomi Freebies.. They exist! I got my M4i screen guard arrived today. It is a little smaller than the front, which, I suspect, will not feel or look good. Might try it anyway: I can always take it off.

But fitting these things is a pain. They provide a "practice" piece, but I still might get a local-shop guy to do it for me.

My Holiday with the 5-inch M4i... I found it so usable that I didn't even bother to get a SIM for the 7-inch tablet. I think I used the tablet to book one train ticket, as all the card entry stuff might have been a little tough on the smaller screen. Of course, bigger is easier, bor browsing, but the difference between the Defy and the M4i amounts to usable.
Keep a loop of cellophane tape handy to pick out dust specks from the screen. I recently tried this method and it worked wonderfully well to remove all the bubbles I had managed to create the first time I tried putting the screen guard on.
Old 7th August 2015, 18:46   #21667
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot for the links. Did read up the reviews on GSMArena before I bought it. But never knew that clearing up the system partition cache can help with battery life. Will try it during the weekend. Do you have a 4G sim? Wanted to confirm that 4G works fine - read somewhere on XDA that it might not support the bands that are available in India for 4G.

Also, planning to get the Sony CP-AD2 USB AC Adapter - fast charger since the phone supports it - though Asus hasn't supplied a fast charger in the box. Heck, they even skimped on the earphones.

Last edited by naveenroy : 7th August 2015 at 18:49.
Old 7th August 2015, 20:03   #21668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you have a 4G sim? Wanted to confirm that 4G works fine - read somewhere on XDA that it might not support the bands that are available in India for 4G.
Learnt this the hard way yesterday. Indian 4g (Airtel) uses TDD - time division duplexing where as my phone moto x gen 1 supports FDD. So far iphone 5s, 6, 6+ conformed works. Don't know about others. But do check with handset specifications.

Funnily Airtel uses FDD in its NCR and Chennai circles. Reliance Jio will be a true pan 4g India operator if they decide to use conventional bands.
Old 7th August 2015, 20:26   #21669
Distinguished - BHPian

I can confirm that Airtel 4g works with the M4i. My phone also worked fine with EE* in UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Keep a loop of cellophane tape handy to pick out dust specks from the screen. I recently tried this method and it worked wonderfully well to remove all the bubbles I had managed to create the first time I tried putting the screen guard on.
Thanks for the hint. Xiaomi include a full-size piece of film that is supposed to remove even the invisible dust!

*I mentioned to a Tamil friend in London that my phone was on the House Fly network. She looked puzzled. I pointed out... "ee" and she burst out laughing.
Old 7th August 2015, 21:11   #21670
Senior - BHPian

I have installed an Airtel 4G sim card in my new Moto G 3rd gen. At 3G rates, for now. Blazing fast.
Old 7th August 2015, 21:40   #21671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wanted to confirm that 4G works fine
The 4g service currently provided by Airtel is TD-LTE, which will work on any device that supports 2300Mhz band 40. The Asus Zenfone 2 supports this band.

Apart from the 2300 MHz spectrum, Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd announced that it had acquired the right to use spectrum in 14 key circles across India in the 1800 MHz band. The 14 circles included Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, West Bengal, Assam, North East and Orissa. 4G services would be using FDD-LTE on 1800 MHz, and this frequency range is supported on a much wider range of devices that support 4g (Most of the western countries use this range). Asus Zenfone 2 also supports that band.
Old 8th August 2015, 13:07   #21672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 4g service currently provided by Airtel is TD-LTE, which will work on any device that supports 2300Mhz band 40. The Asus Zenfone 2 supports this band.

4G services would be using FDD-LTE on 1800 MHz, and this frequency range is supported on a much wider range of devices that support 4g (Most of the western countries use this range). Asus Zenfone 2 also supports that band.
That is reassuring. Maybe I should try out Airtel 4G. I am currently using Aircel for 3G duties.
Old 8th August 2015, 23:21   #21673
BHPian

From all the experts here to throw some light while comparing Lenovo K3 and Moto G3 since specs and price wise wise, K3 looks better but over here, came across majority in favour of G3 which is quite surprising. Then what makes it to go for Moto?
thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 09:36   #21674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis View Post
From all the experts here to throw some light while comparing Lenovo K3 and Moto G3 since specs and price wise wise, K3 looks better but over here, came across majority in favour of G3 which is quite surprising. Then what makes it to go for Moto?
thanks
Handsome looks, zippy performance, a clean Android build, and good build quality all for a VFM price tag.

Also, don't forget the water resistance and the speedy updates Moto provides.
Old 9th August 2015, 09:41   #21675
BANNED

I am looking to replace by htc One (CDMA+GSM) M7. My limit is 45k or so. Options for this. One (I may say the only) issue I have found in the CDMA unit running under GSM, every time you cross a service region you have to manually register on the network! Going from Kanpur to Gurgaon I had to register UP(W) and then Delhi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks