Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2017, 14:23   #25246
nmo
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Any update here. Also why don't you post on their FB page posting this video.

KK
Finally, the Lenovo Vibe K5 Plus seems to be working fine after a motherboard replacement at the Lenovo Service Center. I did post the Video on Flipkart FB page as per your advice but apart from daily calls with Flipkart Customer Service and email exchange, nothing positive came out. Finally, after 2 visits to the Lenovo Service Center where they first updated the Phone software and asked us to check if the problem is resolved. As the problem was not resolved, we visited the Service Center again and they replaced the motherboard.
Old 18th January 2017, 15:03   #25247
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't know why a person obsesses over keeping their entire message history......

.......there could be many good reasons, both business and personal.
All for free choice, but I've never held onto a single text message over the few phones I've changed in my tech lifetime. Any other stuff worth saving (photos, documents etc.) are periodically backed up to external devices and I'm not a heavy enough app user to bother with app/settings backup software.

I probably sound like a tech dinosaur
Old 18th January 2017, 16:53   #25248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I probably sound like a tech dinosaur
Well, maybe... but hey, a phone is just a phone, right?

Except to me, it isn't, it is a pocket computer. Making phone calls is the thing I do least with my pocket computer --- and the thing that makes look like an all-thumbs dinosaur! I struggle to add contacts; cut people off instead of taking the call. But I'm quite happy with much of the other "phone" functionality. In fact I spend the first three days with any new phone customizing it to my look and feel.

My wife's Lumia was a stop-gap phone, and she only used it for six months between her old full-keyboard Nokia and her current Android. The Microsoftian No-you-can't SMS export thing was one of the things that made her then accept Linux for her new laptop. We are now a microsoft-free house
Old 18th January 2017, 17:27   #25249
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...... xcept to me, it isn't, it is a pocket computer........
It is for a good chunk of folks now. I probably use my phone for more things than my laptop (my phone:laptop sent email ratio alone must be 2:1 if not higher), but I haven't (yet) let it take over my life.

Some of my colleagues/acquaintances wonder if I even have a life when I refuse to have my face stuck in a phone (or is it the other way round?) in a social gathering. Android's calendar-based auto-DND feature is a personal favorite.

Quote:
old full-keyboard Nokia and her current Android. The Microsoftian No-you-can't SMS export thing was one of the things that made her then accept Linux for her new laptop. We are now a microsoft-free house
I'm not ashamed to admit I'd prefer a full physical keyboard in a heartbeat. There's just no replacement for actual tactile feedback, an even after years of having a touchscreen phone, I can still type faster on my backup Nokia E-72, without even looking at the phone.

I got no love for Microsoft beyond accepting them as a necessary evil. I'm glad there are viable alternatives now that are as functional (for mainstream users, not geeks), some much better than the big M.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th January 2017 at 17:40.
Old 18th January 2017, 22:49   #25250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I can still type faster on my backup Nokia E-72
I can easily believe that. I can still type faster on a full-size keyboard!

On the phone, I have got used to the swype method (Swiftkey) of entering text. I feel completely awkward if I have to do it letter by letter, eg on my wife's phone. It does entail occasional battles with the auto-correct/predict that I am sure cost me more time than they save.

But I wouldn't go back now. Except to my [new ] monitor and keyboard, which is where I am now. It was an easier decision to spend 23K on a monitor than it would be to spend that on a phone --- although there are other factors such as it being less likely to be lost or broken.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 18th January 2017 at 22:51.
Old 19th January 2017, 01:11   #25251
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I can't for the life of me remember it now, but there was an app that moved SMSes over a BT/WiFi Direct connection between Windows Phone and Android.

P.S. Found it in Android app history. It's called VMG Converter by publisher Animated Oak Entertainment.
Thanks, Chetan. I will give this VMG a shot tomorrow on dad's phone. I found it on google play store already, just hope that its available on Microsoft store as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
The app name is Transfer my data which I used earlier to transfer contacts from IP 5s to Lumia 730. I am not sure about reverse copy. Try it.
I think that app only lets you receive data from other phones to Lumia. I tried it a few times already.

Quote:
Thank you. I'm sure this information will benefit people.

I don't know why a person obsesses over keeping their entire message history*, but I do know that they should certainly have that choice if they want it.
And seriously there could be many good reasons, both business and personal.
Purely business reasons, nothing apart from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debajyoti View Post
The trick I used was downloading Transfer my Data on my Lumia, then exporting the messages as vmg to the sd card, then importing them to my android using a vmg converter app from playstore.
You see the 925 doesn't have an SD slot, is there any way around that?

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I appreciate it.
Old 19th January 2017, 01:22   #25252
Distinguished - BHPian

In the end, Mrs G took photos with the new phone of screens of messages that she deemed important on the Lumia

Maddening. You have our sympathy.
Old 19th January 2017, 06:51   #25253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
You see the 925 doesn't have an SD slot, is there any way around that?
Quote:
In the end, Mrs G took photos with the new phone of screens of messages that she deemed important on the Lumia
Back up: For 925 or any other windows phone without an SD card slot, download contacts+message backup instead of Transfer my Data. This app won't be listed in the all apps list, it will be under Settings. After opening the app, click on the three dots in the right-lower corner, pick folder option will be there.
Transfer:Download the official Files app and send the .msg file to the android using bluetooth.
Restore: Restore the .msg file using VMG Converter.
Free version of the app has a limit of 200 sms, to restore more than that you will need the VMG Converter Unlocker
If you are familiar with python, you can also convert the .msg to .xml and restore.

Last edited by Debajyoti : 19th January 2017 at 07:05.
Old 19th January 2017, 08:19   #25254
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Thanks, Chetan. I will give this VMG a shot tomorrow on dad's phone. I found it on google play store already, just hope that its available on Microsoft store as well.....
You don't need it on the Lumia. Just create a backup using whatever backup app is available, transfer the file to your Android and restore using the VMG Converter.
Old 19th January 2017, 08:36   #25255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
Try changing the wifi network name and try again. I had faced a similar issue with my iPhone 5s and changing the WiFi network name resolved it for me.
Changing the name didn't solve the issue. I guess a visit to the service centre is the only thing left.
Old 19th January 2017, 13:47   #25256
Distinguished - BHPian

Competitive price for the Mi Note 4 starting at 10k to 13k. Specs look very good especially with that Snapdragon 625 processor.

http://www.mi.com/in/note4/
Old 19th January 2017, 14:08   #25257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Competitive price for the Mi Note 4 starting at 10k to 13k. Specs look very good especially with that Snapdragon 625 processor.

http://www.mi.com/in/note4/
But how to get hands on one is the real question, during the flash sale. I've been unsuccessful many a times.

Moreover, they have not listed any in black color which was advertised.
Old 19th January 2017, 15:29   #25258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
But how to get hands on one is the real question, during the flash sale. I've been unsuccessful many a times.

Moreover, they have not listed any in black color which was advertised.
Yes. You are right. I think they are still in the process of updating all the variants and considering that black would be in high demand they might want to offload the other colours first.

Last edited by praveen789 : 19th January 2017 at 15:31.
Old 19th January 2017, 15:38   #25259
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you to the guys in the know about getting messages off Lumia. There is no doubt at all that MS don't want it to be easy!

Once upon a time, shuffling data, as long as it was ascii text, was a challenge I relished --- and got paid to take on too. Now I am so rusty with those tools (awk, sed, etc) I'd have to relearn it all from page one <blush>
Old 20th January 2017, 18:04   #25260
BHPian

Hi,

on my OnePlus 3T, today morning got notification for upgrading to Nougat 7. Afternoon put that to download on my wifi, and upgrade happened smoothly. I briefly checked, all seemed OK.

One main observation:
On the widget "manage center", I remember in the morning it was showing 83% Available Storage; and now after N its showing 90% Available Storage; It seems that upgrade did optimize filesystem and save a lot of space. Anyone else ?

Other Minor observations:
- after N upgrade, while opening my Contacts icon, I got some permission dialogue boxes - I clicked Allow on all.
- the notifications (eg WhatsApp msgs) look bit different;
- the App Switcher looks little odd: large cascaded windows, but cluttered;

regards,
Pranav

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks