Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2017, 03:07   #6481
BHPian

re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

Hello All -
Planning to buy a car for my father in law for point A to point B commute, with a monthly usage of about 500 kms and a budget of 7-7.5 Lakhs or so.

I have shortlisted below petrol version cars (along with on road price at Hyderabad).
Please help me choose the best among these, considering that the car will be kept for at least 10 years.

1) Ford Aspire Titanium 1.2 Ti-VCT Opt -> 7,44,178 -> 6 airbags
2) Tata Tigor XZ(O) (Top end) -> 7,19,034 -> 3 cylinder engine
3) Tata Zest XT (Top end) -> 7,58,324
4) Maruti Baleno Delta 1.2 -> 7,10,075
5) Maruti Dzire VXI -> 7,33,487
Old 12th July 2017, 06:23   #6482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyas337 View Post
Hello All -
Planning to buy a car for my father in law for point A to point B commute, with a monthly usage of about 500 kms and a budget of 7-7.5 Lakhs or so.

I have shortlisted below petrol version cars (along with on road price at Hyderabad).
Please help me choose the best among these, considering that the car will be kept for at least 10 years.

Aspire petrol is a dud, try and reach out for the baleno zeta, just ahead in terms of price of the dzire, will serve you well.
Dzire vxi is underequipped and the Tata's are either sluggish (tigor) or not fuel efficient (zest).
Zest is a good product though but then again, dismal resale too!!
dhruvritzed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 08:41   #6483
BHPian

re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

Quote:
Hello All -

One thing that you need to keep in mind if you're planning to keep the car for 10 years, is sheet metal strength. You don't want to end with a car that looks like a golf ball. Also, resale hardly matters after 10 years nor does FE with such low running. You also can keep in mind that as he ages, he would like a car that's easy to get in & out.
coldice4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 09:49   #6484
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello All -

I'm telling you this based on how my parents react when we discuss the i20 replacement: they want something small. Something small enough that they don't have to worry about parking and dimensions during tight turns.

Maruti isn't exactly my first choice given their safety record but since this strictly A - B travel and you have an EcoSport for the highways, why not something like the WagonR AMT?

WagonR with the tall boy design allows easy egress/ingress, is nimble and short in lenght. AMT just adds convenience.

Get them something small, most of the above options you've listed might make them uncomfortable with the size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
Aspire petrol is a dud
Sales dud, you mean? How does it matter if the product is good. Plus, given the primary user, performance isn't a criteria (I assume).
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 11:03   #6485
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All -

Whatever brand/model/variant you choose, considering a 10 yr period which is long enough and your father in law will grow older with age I would strictly recommend ONLY an automatic variant be it an AMT or CVT. I would recommend sticking to Maruti or Honda may be Wagon R AMT, Dzire AMT, Baleno CVT or Jazz AT. The convenience an automatic provides can never be compensated by even a manual car of a segment above.
SpoiledBratt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 01:57   #6486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
Aspire petrol is a dud, try and reach out for the baleno zeta, just ahead in terms of price of the dzire, will serve you well.
Dzire vxi is underequipped and the Tata's are either sluggish (tigor) or not fuel efficient (zest).
Zest is a good product though but then again, dismal resale too!!
Post launch of Tigor, the much superior Zest doesn't appeal any more to my family members :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
they want something small. Something small enough that they don't have to worry about parking and dimensions during tight turns.

Maruti isn't exactly my first choice given their safety record but since this strictly A - B travel and you have an EcoSport for the highways, why not something like the WagonR AMT?

WagonR with the tall boy design allows easy egress/ingress, is nimble and short in lenght. AMT just adds convenience.

Get them something small, most of the above options you've listed might make them uncomfortable with the size.

Sales dud, you mean? How does it matter if the product is good. Plus, given the primary user, performance isn't a criteria (I assume).
Yes correct, strong performance is not a criteria but at same time, trying to stay away from a lethargic engine (when on full load during highway trips).

My father in law is from a tier 2 city (Kurnool, AP) and will be needing his own car. I stay in Hyderabad, so my Ecosport is not of much use to him.

Wagon R - just doesn't feel safe, given the size and dimensions of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
One thing that you need to keep in mind if you're planning to keep the car for 10 years, is sheet metal strength. You don't want to end with a car that looks like a golf ball. Also, resale hardly matters after 10 years nor does FE with such low running. You also can keep in mind that as he ages, he would like a car that's easy to get in & out.
Correct, FE or resale is not a concern for this purchase (anyways this segment has decent fuel efficiency). However, Dzire and Baleno's thin sheet metal isn't confidence inspiring (same with Honda products, but also are very expensive).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledBratt View Post
Whatever brand/model/variant you choose, considering a 10 yr period which is long enough and your father in law will grow older with age I would strictly recommend ONLY an automatic variant be it an AMT or CVT. I would recommend sticking to Maruti or Honda may be Wagon R AMT, Dzire AMT, Baleno CVT or Jazz AT. The convenience an automatic provides can never be compensated by even a manual car of a segment above.
Thanks, considering AMT / CVT's too now (Dzire AMT, Baleno Delta CVT and Tigor AMT).
Maruti's light weight is more of a concern and probably might end up with either Tigor manual or Tiago AMT. More confusing now

Anyone aware of offers on Tiago AMTs?
Old 13th July 2017, 15:50   #6487
Senior - BHPian

Nothing beats the Alto K10 for its compact size. Even my usage is very low, 15K km in 7 years. What I like about it is
. Very compact, can be parked in very tight spots, often in busy markets, I find a narrow slot where most other cars do not attempt to park.
. The colour does not fade even if kept in bright sunlight, so even after 7 years the paint looks pretty new.
. Acceleration if much better than comparable cars, as it is the lightest, so it is a fun to drive

It is one of the least expensive 1L cars in the market, and the service costs are around 2.5K only, including oils, washing and cleaning. Spares are remarkably low cost.
Old 13th July 2017, 16:14   #6488
BHPian

Quote:

Correct, FE or resale is not a concern for this purchase (anyways this segment has decent fuel efficiency). However, Dzire and Baleno's thin sheet metal isn't confidence inspiring (same with Honda products, but also are very expensive).
Looking at these points, may I suggest you to consider the Grand i10, Elite i20 or may be the Polo.

Your running mentioned is about 500 a month so FE is not a concern there. As for build quality that inspires confidence, a Polo might actually feel good. But the automatic as far as I know is only available in the GT version that falls out of your budget.

If you really want to go for Automatic, the Grand i10 can be had in the conventional automatic which is better than AMT.

So that's some more to add to the confusion.

Happy shopping.
Old 13th July 2017, 19:05   #6489
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All -

Why not take a look at the Honda Brio VX AT ? Pretty good engine gearbox combo.
Old 13th July 2017, 19:59   #6490
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All -
I would give Ford Aspire the first rank in the list. Sure that engine is not a rocket, but is a super silent cruiser. A test drive by your father in law can help in this, IMO. Add to that 6 airbags safety / Ford build quality (please compare with current competition, not old gen Ford cars).
Old 14th July 2017, 01:22   #6491
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks, considering AMT / CVT's too now (Dzire AMT, Baleno Delta CVT and Tigor AMT).
Maruti's light weight is more of a concern and probably might end up with either Tigor manual or Tiago AMT. More confusing now

Anyone aware of offers on Tiago AMTs?

Baleno is so tinny and low. My dad (aged 63) feels it tough to get in and out of Baleno. And it's suspension is nothing great to write about.

For the comfort and safety, I would recommend Zest AMT or if a smaller one is preferred, then the Tiago AMT.
Old 14th July 2017, 18:47   #6492
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
Baleno is so tinny and low. My dad (aged 63) feels it tough to get in and out of Baleno. And it's suspension is nothing great to write about.

For the comfort and safety, I would recommend Zest AMT or if a smaller one is preferred, then the Tiago AMT.
Zest has the AMT option only in it's diesel variants and his running does not justify a diesel. Also, it does not have the creep feature as much as I know, which is important in bumper to bumper traffic.

Can anyone confirm if the fresh batches of the Zest AMT have started to come with the creep feature? Since the Tiago has it, it should not be too difficult to implement that in the Zest I believe.
Old 17th July 2017, 15:29   #6493
BHPian

One of my family friend is planning to buy a SUV and contemplating between XUV and Hexa. As we were checking on-road pricing online we were surprised see huge difference in road tax (Mumbai) on the Carwale. They are showing a whopping Rs 3.47 lacs (21.3%) road tax for Hexa in comparison to XUV’s Rs 2.4 lacs. Does Hexa fall in some other vehicle category in MH? Or is Carwale’s quote completely off the actuals?

Carwale Quotes:
Attached Thumbnails
The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals-hexa.jpg  

The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals-xuv.jpg  

Old 17th July 2017, 20:02   #6494
BHPian

I am not sure if this is the right thread but we are planning on buying an XUV W6 AT. The dealer in Goa has given us an official quotation.
We would be registering the car ourselves.

The ex showroom price is :1427980/-
However the dealer will be giving me an official invoice to show to RTO with the TCS money added to the ex showroom.
New total ex showroom: 1427980+14279(1% TCS)=1442259/-
I will have to pay road tax on this new total! Is this correct practice? I was told by a Ford dealer that TCS cost isn't added to showroom price to calculate road tax.

Regards

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 17th July 2017 at 20:07.
Old 17th July 2017, 20:45   #6495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
I am not sure if this is the right thread but we are planning on buying an XUV W6 AT. The dealer in Goa has given us an official quotation.
We would be registering the car ourselves.

The ex showroom price is :1427980/-
However the dealer will be giving me an official invoice to show to RTO with the TCS money added to the ex showroom.
New total ex showroom: 1427980+14279(1% TCS)=1442259/-
I will have to pay road tax on this new total! Is this correct practice? I was told by a Ford dealer that TCS cost isn't added to showroom price to calculate road tax.

Regards

TCS is not added to the ex showroom price. It is 1% of the ex showroom price. You will have to pay road tax only on the ex showroom value.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks