Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2019, 12:00   #2401
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Besides the reopening of bookings for the Hector, the Harrier AT, the only other launch in 2020 seems to be the new Creta, which will surely come at a premium than Seltos. Will it have more space? I don't think so. Will it be more expensive? For sure.

For those in the market for a 15-20 lakh SUV, the options are going to be more or less the same.
Old 28th August 2019, 12:16   #2402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Besides the reopening of bookings for the Hector, the Harrier AT, the only other launch in 2020 seems to be the new Creta, which will surely come at a premium than Seltos. Will it have more space? I don't think so. Will it be more expensive? For sure.
Next gen Creta seems to come with really futuristic interior. Just saw a picture posted on the 'New Creta' thread and the dashboard looks to be inspired from new Volvos or the Telsa. It makes the Seltos look dated IMHO.
Old 28th August 2019, 12:57   #2403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Next gen Creta seems to come with really futuristic interior. Just saw a picture posted on the 'New Creta' thread and the dashboard looks to be inspired from new Volvos or the Telsa. It makes the Seltos look dated IMHO.
The interior design does look fresh, with the cascade styled central console. But it's not like the Seltos interiors aren't up to the mark. The Creta 2020 exterior design will be polarising. I didn't like it, even if they tone the Indian version down. The Seltos exterior looks much better IMHO.
coolkurt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 17:25   #2404
BHPian

Quick question does the HTX+ misses out on rain sensing wipers? Couldn't see one on the brochure.

Also with context to OVRM what is auto light control?
Old 28th August 2019, 17:54   #2405
BHPian

I too wanted to wait for the Creta. There interiors are good looking but the exterior was the major turn off. I mean that face suits the venue. People might mistaken it for a Venue. The glossy materials throughout the layout in turn means dust magnet. It will be definently priced more the seltos, i highly suspect that the top varients will come with automatic transmission as it's a hyundai friend. Most likely u will get an automatic in sx or you get an sx+ but never a sx(o)
Old 28th August 2019, 18:58   #2406
BHPian

Called up the SA yesterday to check the availability of the TD vehicles and he confirmed DCT and manual for GT line and Petrol IVT for the Tech line. Took out time today to visit the JSP KIA showroom in ORR and got a chance to TD the IVT and the DCT.
While waiting for the TD, spend some time with the HTX+ Diesel variant for the features and build quality. Must say, the hood and the boot is quite heavy and doors felt sturdy. Boot was adequate but not sure if it is really 430 ltrs. Alloys for the Tech line are of good finish but the GT line alloys are simply stunning. Not posting any pictures as there are plethora of photos shared by fellow bhpians.

My 2 cents for the variants I drove.

1. Petrol IVT
It is a very lazy motor and was not at all responsive to the push of the pedal. I guess it can be an alternative for those who are okay with the NA petrol engine but need an automatic for the daily rides. But this variant misses out on major safety features.

2. GTX DCT
I tried all the drive modes to check the response of the throttle and the steering. Started with the "NORMAL" mode, there was linear pull from the engine and it was not that responsive when the pedal was floored for instant need of power. There was an instance where in I wanted to change lane and pushed the pedal, but didn't felt the response from the engine with the turbo kicking a bit late. Saw a vacant stretch and asked the SA to put the car to "SPORTS" mode and the car was more responsive to the accelerator now. Turbo kicked in instantaneously (1500 rpm) and it brought a grin on my face. The steering weighed up a bit and was more responsive. It was a real fun to drive car in this mode. But I guess, it will also impact the FE. Now it was time to check the "ECO" mode. I would say the engine showed more or less an IVT behavior with no throttle response. It was a very slow and linear acceleration.

3. HTX+ Diesel manual(Drove a month ago)
The diesel motor was smooth and with no NVH passing on to the cabin. I am no expert in Diesel motors and have mostly driven petrol cars.. They had only the Diesel manual that time for TD, so went for it and was just trying to check how the car feels to drive with some features check.

On the features for the GT line
1. HUD is a nice to have feature and for me the angle of the screen was not right and most of the lower part was not visible to me. Even though i can read the numbers. The SA said we can adjust the angle thru the center console.
2. Mood/Ambient lighting was very low to be checked during the day time
3. 360 Camera & Blind spot - This is one very useful feature in our road conditions and the one missing on GTX (I am mostly hooked on to this variant for budget reasons)
4. Ventilated seats - I could hardly feel any thing during my drive (HTX+) and can be passed as it can give back problems during long drive due to soft seats
5. Sunroof - A size smaller and not useful in Indian conditions with dusty roads
6. Black Interiors - I kind of liked the all black interiors and these will be easy to maintain as well
D'Ro@dSt@r is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 19:17   #2407
BHPian

Finally, took a test drive of the GTX DCT. My SA called in the afternoon and informed that the test drive vehicle is available. I went in at 5:00pm and had to wait 30 mins for the test drive. They also have a Diesel Auto on test drive.

Here are my observations, from a short test drive:
1. The manual seat height adjustment has a very long range and is very effective
2. The engine is smooth, though with some initial turbo lag. However, it wouldn't be bothersome is real life driving conditions
3. Put the car on sport mode and could really feel the surge of power
4. The Normal drive mode felt comfortable. Gear shifts were smooth enough
5. The steering wheel surprised me. It has very good feedback. Even on a straight line drive the steering weighed up very well
6. Tested the creep function - lifting the foot from the brake rolled the car forward at a speed of 7kmph. Ideal for bumper to bumper traffic
7. The dead pedal for left foot is positioned well and has a comfortable angle
8. Took a sharp U turn and the flat bottomed steering suddenly felt odd rolling across my palm. Will need getting used to
9. Took the car up the parking ramp in my society (I live very close to the showroom and my society is in the test drive route) to test the hill hold. I fist took my foot off the accelerator while going up the ramp at a slow speed. The car just stopped. No brakes needed. Next I applied brakes while going up the ramp and brought the car to a dead stop. The car did not move on releasing the brake. This will be a boon while driving up a flyover in bumper to bumper traffic.
10. Tested the tiptronic function too. But the road was too short to really test it out
11. The "non BOSE" speakers sounded good enough. I had written initially after my TD of the Diesel manual that the BOSE did not sound anything exceptional
12. The black seats with red stitching looks good
13. Plastics on the door felt inferior to the ones on the dual tone variant (or am I being overly critical?)

There were a few more cars at the showroom today, including an HTK+ Diesel auto. This is a good buy at 16L on road, for someone looking for a Diesel Auto but can live without the frills. Incidentally, the brushed metal finish of the front knurled grill and the boot strip looks far better than the shiny chrome on the top ends!

I received another call from Kia today. This time it was a guy who spoke better Englosh compared to the two guys who called me yesterday. His version is that all 30K bookings received so far will be delivered in next three to four months. When I insisted on getting a more certain timeline for a day 1 booking, he promised to call back tomorrow with a date when my vehicle will be despatched to the dealership. fingers crossed!!
biplab3110 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 22:29   #2408
BHPian

According to the sales manager of the dealership near me (don't want to name it), these are only introductory prices. The prices will go up by at least 1L by March when more BS6 vehicles come to the market. He said the Seltos is priced at par or lower than a comparable Creta. The new Creta will be priced higher because it will carry BS6 engines.
According to him BS6 will sell doom for the already weak demands since prices for all cars will go up. He even gave some numbers - 60k for an Alto, 4L fir a Crysta, 8.5L for a fortuner.
I was called for test drive at this point before I could probe him about the basis for these numbers
Old 28th August 2019, 22:56   #2409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biplab3110 View Post
9. Took the car up the parking ramp in my society (I live very close to the showroom and my society is in the test drive route) to test the hill hold. I fist took my foot off the accelerator while going up the ramp at a slow speed. The car just stopped. No brakes needed. Next I applied brakes while going up the ramp and brought the car to a dead stop. The car did not move on releasing the brake. This will be a boon while driving up a flyover in bumper to bumper traffic.

11. The "non BOSE" speakers sounded good enough. I had written initially after my TD of the Diesel manual that the BOSE did not sound anything exceptional.
Sadly, the Hill Hold function isn't available on the Tech Line. It's pretty sad that even the top variant like the HTX+ doesn't have half the features of the GT line. I'm thinking about getting the Diesel manual but I don't know if it's worth getting the HTX , especially after seeing the GT line specs.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 23:34   #2410
BHPian

Cancelled my seltos booking by sending an email to the dealership today. Hope the refund is processed soon.
Old 28th August 2019, 23:52   #2411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuChn View Post

Hyundai, did the same thing when they launched the Next Gen Verna on 22-Aug-2017 - there was no true top end automatic in the oil burner series. The best they had was the SX+ variant with the CVT box, in diesel. If you wanted the frills that SX(O) offered, with a CVT, you had to opt for a petrol engine!! Later, after about 7-8 months I think, they launched the 1.6D SX(O) CVT !!!
Hate to correct you on a very small detail although I agree with your post's message. Verna comes with a torque converter automatic transmission.
Old 29th August 2019, 00:00   #2412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramansh View Post
Cancelled my seltos booking by sending an email to the dealership today. Hope the refund is processed soon.
Can you mention why?
Old 29th August 2019, 00:06   #2413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biplab3110 View Post
According to him BS6 will sell doom for the already weak demands since prices for all cars will go up. He even gave some numbers - 60k for an Alto, 4L fir a Crysta, 8.5L for a fortuner.
I was called for test drive at this point before I could probe him about the basis for these numbers
Well your sales manager is just dreaming or he is just trying to make some quick sales by creating false fear. Give him example of XL6, Glanza and Seltos - all BS6 vehicles which are already in market. Glanza-V(BS6) is of same cost as BS4 Baleno(alpha).
and 8L increase for Fortuner just because of BS4 to BS6! whats he smoking
Old 29th August 2019, 00:09   #2414
BHPian

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Can you mention why?

Was promised delivery before august end, now the dealership is stalling delivery even when i pre booked the car on 15/07 itself, I suspect they are selling the initial lots in black. Overall not a pleasant customer service experience.
ramansh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 00:30   #2415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramansh View Post
Was promised delivery before august end, now the dealership is stalling delivery even when i pre booked the car on 15/07 itself, I suspect they are selling the initial lots in black. Overall not a pleasant customer service experience.
Tweeted about this to kia motors India and saw more people complain about the experience
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks