Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2019, 17:21   #2386
BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Received a call from Kia today for a "feedback". An extremely ill informed agent made the call. He asked me the variant I have booked and I said it is a GTX DCT. His response was that the variant will be launched in October and the prices will be available then. I had to tell him that the GTX DCT is already launched and it is the GTX+ DCT which will be launched later. Then I vented out saying what is the point in taking pre bookings if the dealerships don't have test drive vehicles and there is no commitment of delivery timelines. To this the guy kept on saying that delivery will be in 3 to 4 months. I responded that this may be true for bookings being made today, but what about people like me who made their booking on day 1?? He had no answer and kept on repeating 3 to 4 months. I asked to speak to his superior and was promptly put to another guy who spoke better English, but gave the same response. I just disconnected the call out of frustration.

I am getting a feeling of deja vu. I tracked the Ecosport for 20 months before it was finally launched (I was driving a Ford Fusion TDCi in those days and it felt like the most logical change for me). I made unofficial pre-booking with a dealer by paying Rs 1L. However, once the car was launched they could not even arrange a test drive of the 1.0 Ecoboost, which I had booked. There was no commitment on delivery. To top it all there was sheer arrogance from the dealer (Ford dealers were finally seeing some footfalls). I simply cancelled by booking and walked away. I ended up buying a Skoda Rapid TDi and haven't regretted it in five years - except for the heavy clutch in Mumbai traffic which is now forcing me to buy an auto.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 29th August 2019 at 18:00. Reason: typo
biplab3110 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 17:48   #2387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
The Kia rep then Informed that the gtx+ will be announced in first week of September and the deliveries will start a week later to it.

Can someone also validate it ?
I visited the KIA showroom in Hyd this Sun. I am looking to book the GTX Plus Automatic in Diesel - a variant that is not existent right now but I am told that KIA is launching it by end of Aug / 1st week of Sep. Fingers crossed.

What is surprising though is, we kept hearing that the GTX Plus Auto variant will be available in the 1.4 T-GDi (Petrol), all through. But that's yet to be "launched" too! Got the same response, "Please wait till month end to hear more on that"

Net-net, for someone like KIA who is expected to have studied the market well (plus decades of on-ground experience with Hyundai's presence in India), omitting / delaying the true top end variants with automatic transmission does not sound very intelligent for an option. I guess, the only reason one would do that is to ensure that it does not cannibalize other variants in the line-up.
RaghuChn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 18:08   #2388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuChn View Post
I guess, the only reason one would do that is to ensure that it does not cannibalize other variants in the line-up.
How can the top end cannibalise other variants? KIA should be happy if more people buy the top end variants (Higher price, higher margins). It seems the GTX+ Autos were after thoughts and that is why their launch is delayed. They might still be configuring their assembly line for these variants.
biplab3110 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 19:09   #2389
Distinguished - BHPian

These last 2 big launches in our market have been really funny in a way. 2 new companies, not just cars, decide to enter our market at a time when everyone else appears to be bleeding and talks of slow down and negative growth and job losses are doing the rounds. Then in a price sensitive market like ours where the entry level cars start at a mere 3L, both companies decide to enter the market with a close to 2 million Rupee car. Luckily are received rather well by the consumers and people are flocking to the showrooms, booking the cars with a large number of bookings for the top end variants which clearly shows the mindset change our market has gone through in the recent years.

But shockingly one has to close the bookings with no availability of the Petrol DCT variants and the other is still confused as to which all variants they are launching and when. If all that months of marketing and creating a positive buzz has finally lead to this, then I would say that someone in the decision making capacity didn't really do their homework. I mean there are customers waiting with a cheque! What more can a new comer expect in a market like India where people have traditionally been known to be very cautious about their money and investments.
drmohitg is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 20:03   #2390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I mean there are customers waiting with a cheque! What more can a new comer expect in a market like India where people have traditionally been known to be very cautious about their money and investments.
You hit the nail on the head. Why keep so many variants, it just adds to the confusion and is also a logistical nightmare for the manufacturer. The customer is left wanting for more as not one variant ( except the top end GTX+) has all the bells and whistles and safety features.

I was thinking about the HTX diesel but when I sat down today to do a better analysis, I'm barely getting anything that the GT line gets , especially on the safety front, after I'll be spending 17 lakhs on it!

Hector might just have another problem. A few people I know , who booked way back on day 1 , are being promised delivery only in Oct. That too is a maybe.

Clearly the two companies didn't do their homework well.

As far as the end consumer is concerned, we are just left scratching our heads and the company narrative in the coming months after launch just aggravates the same.
Old 27th August 2019, 20:39   #2391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biplab3110 View Post
How can the top end cannibalise other variants? KIA should be happy if more people buy the top end variants (Higher price, higher margins). It seems the GTX+ Autos were after thoughts and that is why their launch is delayed. They might still be configuring their assembly line for these variants.
Yes. And that's exactly what I wanted to kindle for a thought !! The fact that GT series in Diesel & slush boxes in the true top end across both Petrol and Diesel seem to be an after-thought, is exactly what I find to be surprising. And this is not an MG Hector we are talking about, who is a first time entrant into Indian auto market (I can still understand their skepticism, if at all). This is Hyundai-KIA which has under its belt, well over 27 years of experience in this very market.

Hyundai, did the same thing when they launched the Next Gen Verna on 22-Aug-2017 - there was no true top end automatic in the oil burner series. The best they had was the SX+ variant with the CVT box, in diesel. If you wanted the frills that SX(O) offered, with a CVT, you had to opt for a petrol engine!! Later, after about 7-8 months I think, they launched the 1.6D SX(O) CVT !!!

Should that not have been a learning in itself for Seltos launch?? I am one of those who has delayed booking the car just because that one variant - the most logical one in this price range (IMHO) - is non existent. There will be so many more out there like me. Effectively, revenue delayed or still worse, lost to MG Hector or such !!
Old 27th August 2019, 20:40   #2392

Received this image of the interior view of the upcoming Creta on whatsapp. Looks exciting!
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img20190827wa0017.jpg

In light of the pricing of Seltos, it makes sense for me to defer my car buying decision till Auto Expo 2020.

Last edited by manson : 27th August 2019 at 20:50.
sidhnik is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 20:55   #2393
BHPian

Quote:
These last 2 big launches in our market have been really funny in a way. 2 new companies, not just cars, decide to enter our market at a time when everyone else appears to be bleeding and talks of slow down and negative growth and job losses are doing the rounds. Then in a price sensitive market like ours where the entry level cars start at a mere 3L, both companies decide to enter the market with a close to 2 million Rupee car. .........

Well, what I believe might be even more funny. While the entry level sales might be down , but the way I'm seeing the lux car market skyrocket in India is mind boggling. The number of lux rides I see on roads which deserve beaters - I don't even see those many abroad. Not making a political comments, but the lux car sales seems to be inversely proportional to the way the economy is growing. Or is just mutually exclusive.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 29th August 2019 at 18:03. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 27th August 2019, 21:11   #2394
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If all that months of marketing and creating a positive buzz has finally lead to this, then I would say that someone in the decision making capacity didn't really do their homework. I mean there are customers waiting with a cheque! What more can a new comer expect in a market like India where people have traditionally been known to be very cautious about their money and investments.
Good One. One more point which came up in my mind was that they have done this months of hype and marketing and all sorts of stuff and that too for so many months. The least they could have done is kept a good amount of vehicles ready to be dispatched for delivery. Understand it is not possible to satisfy all the demand. But considering all the market research they did, am pretty sure they would have been aware of the numbers expected.

Both of them seem to be proud of quoting waiting times and closing bookings. All manufacturers do it and I think it is an unhealthy trend. It would served them better to innovate in this also and planned to put as many cars on the road as possible in the shortest possible time.

Definitely disappointing that people who are ready to spend the 15-20L needed to buy a Seltos or a Hector are being confused and also made to wait so much. This is not small money and both Kia and MG need to support the potential customers better.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 22:36   #2395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.sharma View Post
After an impressive TD, I came back to do some research around the beast. I typed in 'Kia GDI' and Google completed the sentence with options like :

Kia GDI problems
Kia GDI recall

I'm not sure how old this engine is or its different from what's available outside India, but surely puts a second thought in my mind.

I did Google and I'm now almost convinced that I'm not going to buy a GDI car, at least not one without port injectors as well.

I've even got doubts about the wisdom of buying a BS6 rated diesel vehicle and ru(i)ning it on BS4 diesel till mid of 2020. Infact, being the eternal pessimistic skeptic that I am, I'd wait atleast 6 months after BS6 diesel fuel is introduced before buying a BS6 rated diesel vehicle. And even then I'd be weary about a car that was lying in the dealer yard that may have been used for demos on older BS4 fuel.
marutifan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 22:53   #2396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

Definitely disappointing that people who are ready to spend the 15-20L needed to buy a Seltos or a Hector are being confused and also made to wait so much. This is not small money and both Kia and MG need to support the potential customers better.
It is their loss in the end. Waiting too long will bring in so many other factors and players into the game.
1. BS6 norms kicking in next year. Even though both cars may not be necessarily affected by it, but the whole transformation is confusing and many buyers might defer their purchase once they feel it is too close anyway to their delivery times. Also one needs to factor in potential discounts from other car makers to clear stocks of BS4 vehicles.

2. The new Creta - Kia is no Hyundai atleast in India. With the upcoming new Creta and its fabulous cascade like central console, people again would be tempted to wait it out for its launch.

3. Jeep Compass - Another highly desirable car which might see the addition of the AT gearbox to its other diesel variants and not just the Trailhawk.

4. AT box availability in the Tata Harrier.

All in all, if I was in the market and KIA/MG make me wait till next year for my car, I might as well cancel that time and wait to see any of the above happening.
drmohitg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 09:07   #2397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhnik View Post
Received this image of the interior view of the upcoming Creta on whatsapp. Looks exciting!
Attachment 1910612

In light of the pricing of Seltos, it makes sense for me to defer my car buying decision till Auto Expo 2020.
Adding more pictures of the exterior to help. The 2020 creta is slated to have panaromic sunroof
Attached Thumbnails
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-1566963429359.jpg  

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-1566963438099.jpg  

Old 28th August 2019, 10:18   #2398
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
The Kia rep then Informed that the gtx+ will be announced in first week of September and the deliveries will start a week later to it.

Can someone also validate it ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuChn View Post
I visited the KIA showroom in Hyd this Sun. I am looking to book the GTX Plus Automatic in Diesel - a variant that is not existent right now but I am told that KIA is launching it by end of Aug / 1st week of Sep. Fingers crossed.
My cousin booked the top end diesel which is rumored to come out soon. The showroom guy said deliveries will start in Oct. Sine the model is not available right now, they have received only few bookings. If my cousin decides to go ahead, he should receive it in the first slot.

Will update his progress.
Old 28th August 2019, 10:21   #2399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
My cousin booked the top end diesel which is rumored to come out soon. The showroom guy said deliveries will start in Oct. Sine the model is not available right now, they have received only few bookings. If my cousin decides to go ahead, he should receive it in the first slot.

Will update his progress.
My friend has booked an htx+ with allied motors Noida and they confirmed that the gtx+ pricing should be out by first week of September. Not sure as we are hearing different timelines from various sources
Old 28th August 2019, 10:45   #2400
BHPian

Quote:
All in all, if I was in the market and KIA/MG make me wait till next year for my car, I might as well cancel that time and wait to see any of the above happening.
I agree. I am in the same boat where looking to upgrade my Manza. After seeing Seltos in person, I was not convinced that it will be an upgrade in terms of space. I have dropped Seltos out of my wish list.

Now I'll wait and watch to see what happens during BS6 rollout, re-opening of the Hector booking and any other new launches (specifically Harrier/Buzzard AT).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks