Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2019, 13:15   #2341
BHPian

re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
….True HUDs are supposed to project information on the windshield right in the normal vision cone while looking straight ahead, like in fighter jets from where this concept came in. But making windshields HUD compatible is costly affair and what's need for that when companies can fool masses with a placebo....
- A bit off topic, however that's not exactly correct. HUDs in aircraft cockpit do use the similar projector-combiner glass elements as now seen in cars (such as Seltos), with images collimated (projected to infinity), so that one does not have to consciously re-focus one's eyes on the symbology, when looking out.

HUDs have naturally evolved from coaming-mounted weapon sights which only had basics such as mil spacing markers and recticle. The further progression of HUDs are holographic HUDs, which project the collimated image on the windshield.

Our home grown Tejas has a wide angle HUD and our Light Combat helicopter takes it a level further with the Helmet Mounted Display Sight (HMDS) - essentially a mini-HUD mounted in front of the pilot's eye on the helmet, with the helicopter's cannon slaved to the pilot's head.

Unlike cars with just 4-6 symbols, HUD- HMDS symbology numbers are at least 60 and one needs to instantly recognise and use each!

Now, its back to Seltos! All said and done, it is a HUD, even though a rather rudimentary one! However, its utility depends on its implementation - its definitely not in the primary field-of-view and I am not sure about the level of details of the onboard nav database (only which it projects).

Last edited by Rigid Rotor : 26th August 2019 at 13:22. Reason: spelling
Rigid Rotor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 14:00   #2342
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankrt View Post
Seltos cannot compare to compass / harrier / Hector especially in build quality and space. Hence not sure what they were thinking by positioning themselves in that bracket.
What do you mean by build quality? Space, I agree.
Both Harrier and Hector seem to have quite a few issues with uneven panel gaps and general fit and finish while Kia seems to have done a great job in those aspects. I strongly feel we need to get out of the mindset of heavy door means great build quality. I would anyday prefer a lighter car which can offer me safety and stability.

On closer look, I do feel the higher variants of the Kia are overpriced. I am looking at the 1.4 Turbo petrol engine only as I prefer petrol cars and the 1.5 NA pterol will provide poor performance considering the power figures and the size/weight of the vehicle. In the GT-line variant, I think the GTK is very well priced at 13.49 lakhs, the only major missing thing is the additional airbags and ESP. Many of the additional features in GTX/GTX+ are gimmicky in nature which I don't need at all. I am now extremely confused if shelling out the additional ~2lakhs on-road for the GTX is worth it. I know safety is most important but still can't quite digest the price difference.
adimicra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 14:13   #2343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I think the GTK is very well priced at 13.49 lakhs, the only major missing thing is the additional airbags and ESP. Many of the additional features in GTX/GTX+ are gimmicky in nature which I don't need at all. I am now extremely confused if shelling out the additional ~2lakhs on-road for the GTX is worth it. I know safety is most important but still can't quite digest the price difference.
Yes I'm also on the same boat, and posted this few pages back. Even I feel GTX is not worth paying ~2 lac extra if additional gimmicks (not talking about safety features) doesn't make sense . I just went and checked lower variants (HT*) for 8" touch screen unit and 6 speakers system, and felt they are more than enough for me . So I changed my booking to GTK (white+black dual tone) today.
vinya_jag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 14:14   #2344
BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept), now launched @ 9.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajvardhanraje View Post

I must say the showroom experience was not that good.
I second your view on the showroom experience. I am still undecided between buying the Jeep Compass (diesel) and Kia Seltos (diesel).

I visited the Kia showroom on Baner road last weekend. The sales guy was repeating the standard taped version that he must have memorized during his training. On asking a couple of "out of syllabus" questions he fumbled.
At one point he even said that the Kia has 1.5L diesel engine sourced from Fiat After 30mins he comes back correcting his mistake. In addition he kept mentioning that there is a likely announcement of another top end diesel model that would have the 360 degree camera, HUD in addition to the current top end model

In the end I came out more confused about the Kia than when I was while going in.

P.S: They still do not have a diesel model available for a test drive at the Baner branch.
alen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 14:35   #2345
BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
I drive a 2015 Skoda Rapid DSG and having a same need in a SUV form which I felt only Skoda or VW can do with Kamiq or Karoq, currently I don't have any issue with my car and can wait for Skoda to launch their SUV, is it worth waiting a year or two or KIA makes sense with their DCT models?
If you drive a DSG now then you should definitely wait for the Karoq, which will be a category higher than the Seltos. Else you can wait for the Kamiq which will come in 2021
Old 26th August 2019, 14:36   #2346
BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept), now launched @ 9.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alen View Post
I second your view on the showroom experience. I am still undecided between buying the Jeep Compass (diesel) and Kia Seltos (diesel).
=====
P.S: They still do not have a diesel model available for a test drive at the Baner branch.
Completely agree with you. The sales reps at Kia Baner are totally untrained. Better to neglect them and concentrate on the product which is good. There is no point debating the technical aspects with them. It's a waste of time and energy. Most of the times they would get away with it successfully. Do not discard the product though because of this experience.

Going by the discussion I had with them, I don't think the 1.5L diesel and petrol variants will be available for a test drive anytime soon. That coupled with the crowd, it would be difficult to get a proper test drive. The most you would get is a small 2 km round in a hurried manner. Maybe in a couple of months after the initial hype subsides, that would be the right time to visit the showroom. At the moment Kia seems super confident that they will sell cars without test drives as many people have already booked the 1.5L variants. They look rather appalled when we say we cannot book the car without a proper test drive.
Old 26th August 2019, 14:36   #2347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post

Well, jokes apart. Have anyone noticed the gap between the wheel and the body. I have only noticed them in HTK+ varient but the GTX does not have this gap, they are slung low to the ground. Does anyone have an answer?
That’s maybe because GTX has 17 inch alloys and HTK+ has 16 inchers (if I am right). Also maybe they have lowered the suspension to give a sportier stance and handling in GT Line.
Old 26th August 2019, 14:41   #2348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
In bumper to bumper Bangalore traffic I don't think any petrol version of Seltos will deliver more than 8KMPL. Most of 1.2L hatchback struggle to deliver anything beyond 10. That said FE has to do with driving style, time of travel and road used. But by any means I don't see Seltos Petrol giving beyond 10KMPL within city.

If you think spending 20L on top spec Creta here in Bangalore is worth it, I don't see a reason why Seltos won't be. Please note here in Bangalore 1.2L premium hatchbacks costs 11-12L on road.
Yes agree that Seltos HTX+ D AT is better compared to Creta SX 1.6 D AT as price difference is not much and it is about a lakh difference in whcih you are getting BS-VI in Seltos. But Seltos GTX DCT is over-priced and it costs almost 3L more than Creta P AT. I feel Seltos GTX DCT is over-priced atleast 1L more if not more than that. Hence moving towards Creta P AT/ES P AT.
Old 26th August 2019, 14:49   #2349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biplab3110 View Post
If you drive a DSG now then you should definitely wait for the Karoq, which will be a category higher than the Seltos. Else you can wait for the Kamiq which will come in 2021
Initially, I was also planning to wait for the Kamiq as I thought it would release in 2020. Now, the earliest possible date in mid-2021. I don't need a car urgently but 2 years seems difficult to wait.
The Karoq will launch my mid-2020 but it will be a totally different segment. It competes with the Tiguan and might be priced slightly lower than the Tiguan which still means it will be ~30L OTR. I am sure it will be better than the Seltos but at a 50% higher price, no point in comparing these 2 cars.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 14:52   #2350
BHPian

With the news of top end in both DCT and TC flowing in, question to all who have driven both : keeping the requirement of average distance driven daily aside, which is a better car in your opinion and why?

I drove a diesel earlier and liked the torque on demand.
Old 26th August 2019, 14:59   #2351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govs View Post
Yes agree that Seltos HTX+ D AT is better compared to Creta SX 1.6 D AT as price difference is not much and it is about a lakh difference in whcih you are getting BS-VI in Seltos. But Seltos GTX DCT is over-priced and it costs almost 3L more than Creta P AT. I feel Seltos GTX DCT is over-priced atleast 1L more if not more than that. Hence moving towards Creta P AT/ES P AT.
The correct comparison is Seltos HTX IVT , not GTX. What you lose in sunroof , you gain in bs6 engine and 4 wheel disc brakes. Prices are similar
Old 26th August 2019, 15:03   #2352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
What do you mean by build quality? Space, I agree.
Both Harrier and Hector seem to have quite a few issues with uneven panel gaps and general fit and finish while Kia seems to have done a great job in those aspects. I strongly feel we need to get out of the mindset of heavy door means great build quality. I would anyday prefer a lighter car which can offer me safety and stability.

On closer look, I do feel the higher variants of the Kia are overpriced. I am looking at the 1.4 Turbo petrol engine only as I prefer petrol cars and the 1.5 NA petrol will provide poor performance considering the power figures and the size/weight of the vehicle. In the GT-line variant, I think the GTK is very well priced at 13.49 lakhs, the only major missing thing is the additional airbags and ESP. Many of the additional features in GTX/GTX+ are gimmicky in nature which I don't need at all. I am now extremely confused if shelling out the additional ~2lakhs on-road for the GTX is worth it. I know safety is most important but still can't quite digest the price difference.
Not sure if you have test driven Harrier or Hector. Those cars are definitely better built than Seltos (perhaps may not have even panel gaps or better fit and finish).
In case of accident heavy panels (engineered correctly) will be more safe than lighter panels. I have both Tiago and Verna Fluidic and hence first hand experience in difference in build quality.
Recently both of my cars had accidents and coincidentally both were hit from side behind rear right door. Tiago was hit by a truck and Verna by a Honda brio. Even though Tiago was hit with more force by heavier vehicle, damage to both were same. Had Verna been hit by a truck I am sure entire door had to be replaced (and may be passenger would have been injured)
Additionally I just hate Hyundai's paint quality and even slight abrasions cause deep scratches.

I am seeing same build quality in Kia Seltos and that's not justified for the price being quoted. Btw not only doors, I tried lifting bonnet of Hector and it sure was really heavy.

Agree with your comments on petrol variants. I am interested in Diesel only as mine use case if for outstation highway use.
Higher variants are definitely overpriced and Diesel HT variants are a joke with only 2 airbags on a 15+ lakh car. Only Diesel GTX+ has 6 airbags but will be 22+ lakhs OTR in Mumbai.
shashankrt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 15:05   #2353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23 View Post
And why would that be? Duster is a compact/midsize SUV > 4m. Where else would it fit in the current market?

This graph is a good one and puts all the cars in perspective.

Totally agree to this. The auto industry only has themselves to blame for the state they are in. A hatch which should cost 6 has gone up to 11 and a car like Seltos should at max be 13 on road. I hope they learn now at least.
I completely agree to both these points Suchit!
a) I drive a 7-year-old Duster which may not have a touchscreen ICE and voice commands etc, but it does have a rear defogger/wiper and a rear 12V socket which the Seltos HTK @ 12.5L + on road Delhi will not. Any self-respecting father will tell you the kids are going to give him hell if they can't charge their gizmos on the road Also the Duster is longer, wider and has a massive boot, to boot!

b) Auto companies have basically priced themselves out of competetiveness as you said. They thought the industry would be in growth phase 'til kingdom come. Nobody did their marketing and considered what the maturity phase might do in the industry life cycle. Kia seems no different sadly.
Clouseau is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 15:08   #2354
BHPian

Hi,

Does anyone has any idea about when the deliveries or price for the GTX Plus Diesel Automatic be announced?
Old 26th August 2019, 15:32   #2355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankrt View Post

I am seeing same build quality in Kia Seltos and that's not justified for the price being quoted. Btw not only doors, I tried lifting bonnet of Hector and it sure was really heavy.
And the consequence of the excess 'weight' is this:

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...t-drive-413714

Just have a look at the dismal performance numbers:
Quote:
Even in our acceleration tests, the Hector did the 0-100kph sprint in 14.21sec, which makes it the slowest among its competitors.
Personally, I feel that Hyundai (and to some extent Toyota (corolla, innova)) have found the right level of build 'weight'. Not too heavy, not too light either.

Also, in my opinion, the weight of the door is only part of the overall build quality equation.
In my view, everything which you touch and feel, from the way the plastics are screwed down, the uniformity of panels and gaps, the quality of the rubbers, etc. everything adds up to 'build quality'.

If we go by only door weight, then our ancestral Ambassador is better than any of the cars on sale today.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks