Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2019, 11:27   #3646
BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan2007 View Post

Can knowledgeable members guide me on what seem to the offer prices for insurance from outside, especially in Bangalore, and which companies are you all going for? Any link to product page would be awesome!

Will be checking out insurance threads as well.
A quick check on coverfox and the results are below. This is for a Comprehensive+Zero dep for 1 year and third party cover for 3 years. You can just go to coverfox/policy bazaar and check all the permutation combinations. Preferrably set the IDV for ex-showroom value.

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-coverfox.jpg
Added_flavor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 11:30   #3647
Senior - BHPian

I have been following this thread closely out of interest and now I am in a situation where I am helping a friend down select the Seltos Variant...

My friend has test driven all the new SUVs from Hector to Kodiaq to Jeep Compass. He has narrowed down on the Seltos and now needs help with the variant. His current car is a 2012 Verna and hence the rear leg room etc. and handling of the Seltos should be a big upgrade from the older Verna which on Team-BHP is called the boat for its floaty ride.

The main help I need here is in deciding between the Top End Diesel AT with TC and the Top End Petrol AT with DCT. The car being an Automatic is mandatory as well so these are the only two options to choose from.

Requirements include:
1. Daily drive thru bumper to bumper traffic in Bangalore which goes thru the infamous SilkBoard Junction and then to Outer Ring Road/Ecospace area which is the worst traffic hotspots in Bangalore.

2. He does enjoy his long distance rides and regularly goes on highway drives in the range of 400-500 kms one way multiple times a year. Total Running distance should be in the range of 15,000 kms a year.

He is assuming that the Seltos DCT would return him about 9kpl in City Driving conditions based on what the Kia guy told him and I am guessing it could be 7 kpl but leaving the FE side, given the Bumper to Bumper traffic, is the DCT a good choice?

We are hearing issues of the Dry Clutch heating up etc. Also using the Verna on the same office route he has had to go for Clutch Replacement twice in the total 95,000 kms that he has used the Verna for.

With this history , Isn't going for a Diesel AT with TC be the safe choice here since the TC has no clutch and so the whole story of clutch wear out goes away and he can live in peace than the risk of having double whammy of having to get the Dual Clutch System replaced?

Also on paper the power/BHP Figures between the two seem large with the Petrol at 138 BHP and the Diesel at a 113 BHP. How is this difference in the real world scenario?

Note: I am yet to test drive the Seltos and plan to do it soon.

MODS: If this makes more sense as a What Car Post then please move it there.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 28th October 2019 at 11:32.
Old 28th October 2019, 12:54   #3648
Senior - BHPian

Saw the Seltos on the road in person today and it looks good. It has a certain premium look about it and looks like a decent SUV. I don't know what version it was but just a quick glance and it did had some wow factor to it. It's no wonder it is doing good.
Old 28th October 2019, 14:03   #3649
BHPian

Recently there were two instances where the dealership offered display car to the customer without their knowledge and consent. Where there were small dents on the car, fungus on the carpet, seats not covered with plastic, rusted discs and two three things here and there. One happened right here in Mumbai itself. Have also visited that showroom in Malad. Glad did not book it from there. My important concern now is regrading the PDI. Can we officially inspect the car in the stockyard before it gets registered on my name? Or only in special cases we are allowed for PDI at the stockyard? According to my SA the PDI is done on the day of delivery itself. But on the day of delivery the car will be already registered in my name!
Old 28th October 2019, 14:52   #3650
BHPian

Quote:
Kia Seltos success has allowed the company to command a market share of 3.5 percent, ahead of more established automakers like Ford, VW and Skoda who all have a long standing presence in the country.
In the Indian context where a 10 % market share shows success, gaining a 3.5 % share within few months is a significant achievement. Having done that with just one model will make it a case study material for other OEMs !

Source : Rushlane
Sk8r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 16:04   #3651
pms
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan2007 View Post
The SA called and said he can deliver the GTX+ DCT in 1 week versus his earlier estimate of Nov end because mine was day 1 prebooking.
======
Any other advice - please shoot.

Thanks in advance.
On the PDI part it's the same point SA told me that their stockyard is somewhere in Bannerghatta road and quite far. I told that him that since I spend so much money on their product this should be done and he mentioned we can do it.
pms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 16:25   #3652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
The main help I need here is in deciding between the Top End Diesel AT with TC and the Top End Petrol AT with DCT. The car being an Automatic is mandatory as well so these are the only two options to choose from.
Depends on how much your friend values power and how much of a driving enthusiast is your friend. I own a DCT and completely love it. Diesel might not be a let down but certainly can't match this fun. If he/she s looking for a decent performer/cruiser with good refined engine and no thought of DCT issues bakc of the mind then Diesel it is. If he/she is a driving enthusiast with real love for raw power and also probably better chance of resale considering in the 5-6 years electric cars would have penetrated the market a bit and selling a diesel might be a tad difficult but this one only time can answer this s a just a best prediction.

I did drive 50 kms in 5 hrs in B2B traffic couple of days back with constant look at the transmission temperature, it did go one line above mid way mark. This is the worst it can get in terms of tragic and stress test
I did everything I could to follow best practices and this is the best result I could get so I don't expect it to go worse than this. So in summary if you can follow the best practices then DCT is maintainable, people are owning DSG for years now. Again it's luck as well along with you doing everything right you can, if you don't face any issue in your ownership life cycle you would just say there is too much unnecessary skepticism and if in case if something happens then ul swear not to buy a DCT again!
springisking is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 16:25   #3653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
A quick check on coverfox and the results are below. This is for a Comprehensive+Zero dep for 1 year and third party cover for 3 years. You can just go to coverfox/policy bazaar and check all the permutation combinations. Preferrably set the IDV for ex-showroom value...
Thanks. I was trying same as well.

Had some more queries:
1. Now a days it seems to be a choice between 1yr Own + 3 yr 3rd party vs. 3 yr own + 3yrs 3rd party. What's advisable?

2. What happens to the IDV in each year if we take 3 year comprehensive package?

3. I see TATA AIG, ICICI being recommended in a few places. Any other recos?

4. Why do you advise IDV = Ex-showroom value? Some companies seem to limit IDV at Ex-showroom but some seem to allow on road price as well
Old 28th October 2019, 19:41   #3654
Senior - BHPian

Its raining Seltos in Chennai, glad to see a new model accepted so well by masses. Car's stance is more crossoverish than an SUV, explains how it handles so much better than its cousin Creta.

I too wish to get one, but even with buying power, 20L for an car of this segment, makes me think again about getting a new car! Its still decent value for money though, considering the cost of cars in the segment below.
Old 28th October 2019, 20:11   #3655
BHPian

Quote:
I have been following this thread closely out of interest and now I am in a situation where I am helping a friend down select the Seltos Variant....
Hello. This is a question i mulled well over a month before picking my variant. I repeatedly test drove both GTX+ DCT and HTX+ AT (as there were/are no GTX AT available for test drives). No easy answers to your question, here are few of my thoughts:

GTX+ DCT .
Advantages: Definitely more of an enthusiast's car. Very responsive in sports mode, slick gear-changes. Petrol, so no worries about using the BS4 fuel till good part of next year. Gets drive modes.
Disadvantages: DCT. Or rather, all the fear around it. There are issues reported from across on Hyundai & Kia's dry clutch DCT around heating up in crawl speeds. For a city like Bangalore, where any given day we will have to crawl at 5kph or less with no option of waiting or stopping for 15-30 minutes at a go (middle of ORR, where do one stop?), it can be a problem.

GTX+ Diesel AT
Advantages: low end torque is not bad, did not feel any rubber band effect (but then did not drive in a highway with a sudden overtake needed either, so long term ownership reports alone will tell on that). It is a Torque Converter gear box, so less of a worry compared to DCT in our trafficky roads (as per what i have read, again, time alone will tell).
Disadvantages: Diesel. One question always is about what future holds, especially in an environment like India where policies change at the drop of a hat. Plus, questions on how BS4 diesel with lesser Sulphur content will do to the engine (till we get BS6 diesel), worries around DPF filter replacement etc. Kia says all is good, engine is tested well on BS4 diesel etc, so for the moment we have to trust them.

Me: after all the mulling, I chose the Diesel AT, opting for peace of mind over performance, though i have not seen the car and don't even know if we get the drive and traction modes as is present in DCT GTX+.

P.S. Be prepared for a long waiting period, so more time for us to think this over and even get tempted by Octavia Onyx DSG (again DSG worries) which is dangerously close to the pricing of Diesel AT GTX+.
anoop cheeran is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 21:05   #3656
BHPian

Got a shocker from Incheon Kia (Not new to shockers from this group in Cochin)
No delivery as promised.
They billed the car last Monday. They insured it only today. They say they cannot fill form 10, upload details and take a temporary registration in 2 days. Rather they have files pending. I will have to wait for another week for the delivery of my car.
Old 28th October 2019, 22:31   #3657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by springisking View Post
Depends on how much your friend values power and how much of a driving enthusiast is your friend.
Thank You for your valuable feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop cheeran View Post
Me: after all the mulling, I chose the Diesel AT, opting for peace of mind over performance, though i have not seen the car and don't even know if we get the drive and traction modes as is present in DCT GTX+
Thanks for sharing your views. When is the delivery of your car expected? I guess my friend can use your real world experience since he cancelled the booking initially and will be re-booking in a few weeks and his delivery will be surely sometime in 2020 only.

Kia Seltos Test Drive Experience:

After all he keyboard research, I decided to go and test drive a Seltos today. I had test driven the MG Hector earlier out of curiosity but somehow was not much impressed with Seltos initially to want to try a Test Drive. The goal was to view the Seltos from the eyes of the prospective owner that my friend would be and not my view.

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-01.kianaara.jpg
Naara Kia in JP Nagar Bangalore

I looked for nearby Kia Showrooms and found that the Naara Kia in JP Nagar was the nearest one for me. Gave a call and asked if both the Diesel and Petrol Automatics were available for a Test drive. The lady on the line confirmed that they were available. I confirmed that I would be coming. She informed that a Sales Advisor would call me soon and provide me more details.

Started driving to Kia Motors and got a call promptly from the assigned Sales Advisor. I told him that I am on the way and would meet him there directly. Reached Kia Motors and within 5 minutes the allocated SA met me and took my DL and said the Test Drive car would be ready in 10 mins.

Meanwhile I started going thru the cars parked in the showroom and here is brief pictorial of the same:

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-02.alloywheel.jpg
Super Looking Alloy Wheel caught my Attention

The alloy wheels really impressed me. I guess not many owners will switch to aftermarket alloys with this kind of good looking option. The tires though were a disappointment as they are Good Year tires.

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-03.-img_20191028_160443.jpg
Kia Seltos - Profile View

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-04.-img_20191028_160457.jpg
Front View

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-05.dieselengine.jpg
Diesel Engine Bay

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-06.petrolengine.jpg
Petrol Engine Bay

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-07.rear-seat.jpg
Rear Seat - View 01

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-08.-rear-seat-02.jpg
Rear Seat - View 02

While the Legroom cannot be compared to a Honda City or a Ciaz, it is very decent by Hyundai/Kia standards. I thought this would be very much an upgrade for my friend who currently owns a Verna. Rear Seat has a recline as well. Overall I felt it was a comfortable space to be in. My Uncle owns a Jeep Compass and I felt the legroom on the Kia Seltos was better in comparison.

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-09.-boot-space.jpg
Boot Space

Was Not happy with the boot space. Felt it to be small. 433 L as per the spec. I am spoilt by the 510 L Boot of the Honda City

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-10.-boot-zoomed-outimg_20191028_160358.jpg
Boot Space Addl. View

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-11.-rear-shot-01.jpg
Rear View 01

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-12.-rear-shot-02.jpg
Rear View 02

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-13.-rear-view-03.jpg
Rear View 03 - Kia Logo

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-14.-front-grille.jpg
Front Lower Portion

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-15.-headlight.jpg
Crown Jewel LED Headlights

This is something I would be very much interested to know more about. What kind of Headlights are these? I asked the SA if he had more details in terms of the specifications such as wattage etc to which he said he does not have it. He confirmed that these are not Projectors but LED Headlights. Kia calls it "Crown Jewel Headlights". Would be great if some owner could post a picture of the light from these.

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-16.-fog-lamps.jpg
Vertical Fog Lamps

The Fog Lamps also have an unconventional styling with a vertically stacked set of lights.

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-17.-center-console.jpg
Center Console

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-17.-steering-wheel.jpg
Steering Wheel

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-18.-gear-box.jpg
Automatic Gearbox

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-19.-cluster.jpg
Cluster

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-20-ice-lower-variant.jpg
ICE Lower Variant

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-21.-ice-02-higher-variant.jpg
ICE Higher Variant

The cars were soon ready and I test drove the two variants one after the other. First, it was the Diesel Automatic and then the Petrol DCT.

1. Diesel Automatic TC:
Here is what I felt from the quick drive. Cabin Insulation is superb. It was a known trait of Hyundai cars and Kia also seems to have the same trait. The Torque Converter gear shifts are super smooth. The power seems adequate (113 BHP) but nothing to write home about. I felt the power to be on par with my Honda City iDTEC (100 BHP). I guess given that Seltos is a heavier car, the BHP/Ton may end up being similar to the Honda City Diesel. The ride quality seems tuned for city driving though its not as soft as some of the typical Hyundais. The SA mentioned that the Seltos high speed stability would be better than the Creta. I am not surprised by that statement since the Creta is an i20 on heels and the Seltos is based on the more mature Elantra platform. Did not get a chance to try hard braking or slopes. The SA claimed that the Diesel Auto is delivering about 13.5 kpl in City driving conditions.

2. Petrol 7 DCT:
The moment you press the accelerator there is plenty of power on tap. This is an enthusiast's car - there is no doubt about it. The difference between the Diesel AT and the Petrol AT is huge in terms of the performance. I drove in all the 3 modes but for city driving felt the normal mode to be the best. The gear shifts became visible when in Economy mode and the engine noise and grunt became more apparent in the Sports Mode. The normal mode seemed perfect for the City driving conditions. Given the power on tap I would be very surprised if anyone claims a two digit mileage figure. The SA mentioned that he is hearing 9.5 kpl in city driving conditions but I would discount it further. I really wonder how much this would return on the Outer Ring Ring Road crawling traffic of Bangalore...5-6 kpl maybe?

Conclusion:
Petrol 7 DCT: Speed, Performance, Power. FE will be low. Shifts were smooth in Normal mode.

Diesel TC: Refined Cabin by diesel standards, smooth gear shifts, better FE, Good Cruiser.

I have shared my views with my friend that given that he comes from a Verna background with 126 BHP on tap, he may find the Diesel TC to be a bit of a downgrade from a raw performance perspective. But if peace of mind is what he wants in B2B Bangalore traffic then Diesel TC is the one to go for and you would also be rewarded with excellent FE as an add-on. My job is done, will let him take his time to make the decision now.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 28th October 2019 at 22:35.
vsrivatsa is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 23:24   #3658
Distinguished - BHPian

It's truly has been a FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS this year;

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-1572285265491.jpg

karan561 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 23:59   #3659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
It's truly has been a FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS this year;

Attachment 1927791

Hi Karan, isn't it the drive way of ITC Maratha, if I am not wrong. The car looks amazing below the canopy with all the lights.

I am very patiently waiting for team BHP review as I don't want to jump without going through it.
distiller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 00:28   #3660
BHPian

Quote:
Thank You for your valuable feedback.

I really wonder how much this would return on the Outer Ring Ring Road crawling traffic of Bangalore...5-6 kpl maybe?
I bought my car from Naara Kia too. I was one of the first ones to book there even before the showroom opened, SA came home and took the booking(can't imagine it now!!). Very friendly SA by name Vikilesh, was super helpful in fast tracking my order.

I do drive to ORR so mileage is around 7-9 kmpl. As I said I did drive 50kms in 5 hrs in peak traffic and mileage was 7.7kmpl.
springisking is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks