Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2023, 12:37   #2971
BHPian

Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post

Decided to go for the pirelli's cinturato P7 came to 40k for 4 tyres
Hi, can you share the review of the Pirelli's against the Michelin's? I think since you used them both you're best placed to give an opinion. Thanks.
Old 8th April 2023, 08:09   #2972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post
Most likely your duplicate car key is in that suitcase.
Thanks a lot, laughing at my stupidity.

Had totally forgot, i had put the spare key in that.
Arun_S is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th April 2023, 12:46   #2973

Hi Everyone. Asking some help from you guys as a newbie. I got some bad scratches on the rear panel, when I was parking it. What would be my options to address this? At a couple of spots the scratch is too deep and I know it cannot be restored to the original new look. Previously we had an old second hand car so we never bothered too much about scratches and I never looked into this. So I am really not aware of the options and pros/ cons. The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_20230408_113844510.jpg

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_20230408_113838810.jpg

Hi All. Asking for your help as a newbie. I badly scratch the left rear panel of my city while parking. Posting the pics here. I wanted to ask you guys about what my options are here. We had an old car previously and we never bothered with scratches too much so I do not have much experience in this area. I know this panel cannot be restored to its original look, unless I get it replaced completely. However want to see what best I can do to minimise the damaged look without making this panel look ugly. The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_20230408_113844510.jpg

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_20230408_113838587.jpg

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th April 2023 at 13:33. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 8th April 2023, 13:09   #2974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cule1899_bhp View Post
Hi, can you share the review of the Pirelli's against the Michelin's? I think since you used them both you're best placed to give an opinion. Thanks.
I feel both are at par, the better feel in handling I feel is a result of RogerAb Tpu shocker buffers i got installed, the Michelins would have lasted 60k kms, had 4 punctures in their life. Time will tell how much the Pirellis last.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2023, 18:35   #2975
BHPian

Was leaving from work, got into the car pressed the brake pedal, pushed the start button, car fired up, display lit up like a chistmas tree, each and every warning popped up on the display from stability control failure, hill descend failure, tpms light, battery light, rear sensor failure, heck the only thing left to say was evacuate vehicle it will explode! Tried shifting from P to D lever would not budge. Switched it off, tried turning it back on this time all the error codes flashed again and again but the car would not take self. Was pissed beyond measure. After calmly analyzing my options over a smoke break, i reached to the conclusion that getting it towed to honda was not an option right now, could leave it at work and take the uber home and get this picked up sunday or monday.

No fng's nearby so getting a car mechanic over was not possible. There is a bike repair guy close by sent a guy to go get him and told him to get tools to open the battery and check the fuses. The guy came over, immediately said i do not know jack about cars! I said don't worry neither do i to a great extent, lets just stick to basics and check the battery terminals for carbon, disconnect, clean and re connect and see if it works. Did that, no go! Then told him to check the battery with his ammeter, showed 12.1 which meant battery was ok. Lastly thought lets check the fuses could be one of those, prayed to the lord let it be a fuse, he checked each end of a fuse with his wire contraption rigged to a bulb, both end should light the bulb up for an ok fuse. Finally he found one which did not light up the bulb from one end. Changed that with a spare fuse from the box, went ahead to start it and it came to life without the christmas lights going on the display. Thanked the guy paid him and left. Will get it checked at honda at the 60k service due in a bit. Posted this here so that it may help someone else facing a similar predicament. Attaching a picture of the display the first time it started but Gear lever was not shifting from P to any other option.
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-29461b458e1c434baaa565600a1c8f06.jpeg  

Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 02:11   #2976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedallica View Post
I got some bad scratches on the rear panel, when I was parking it. What would be my options to address this? At a couple of spots the scratch is too deep and I know it cannot be restored to the original new look.
The most hassle-free option is to take it to the Honda service center and get it repaired and repainted. With this option, they will take care of everything including paint-matching. This can be done using insurance if you don't want to pay too much out of pocket.

The other option is that if you know any good, friendly neighborhood garages that do this type of work, you may take quotes from them as well to compare and save some more money in the process. Do enquire how they intend to do the paint-matching though.

Don't beat yourself up for what happened. Get the repairs done as soon as possible and move on. Do share your repair experience on the forum once it's repaired.
Old 14th April 2023, 19:39   #2977

Quote:
Originally Posted by nTorq View Post
Folks - kindly advise!

My car has run about 960kms now in the last 20 days, I’ve been noticing a slight jerk when I’m in second gear, and I’m not sure what is causing it. Here are some details:

1. I usually shift to second gear when at around 15 kmph. I continue in second gear till about 25kmph or sometimes 30kmph.

2. Since the car is still new, I’m going very easy on the accelerator pedal, and I press it only very lightly. This means that the car is usually in the second gear for about 3 seconds.

3. Almost every time, after 2 seconds, I notice a jerk in second gear. The jerk happens only once, and can be felt for a fraction of a second.

4. It feels like the fuel supply is cut off for a millisecond, and comes back. I don’t think (rather don’t know) this is what is happening, but it sure feels like it.

5. I showed this to the service advisor during my first service, and he said it is normal with most petrol cars! It didn’t sound right, but I’ve driven only diesel before, so I don’t know for sure.

6. The service advisor said that they also reset the ECU just to make sure, but it doesn’t seem like it made a difference.

Can anyone please tell me what this could be?

Is the service advisor right about this being a normal thing?

My car is VX MT Petrol.
I am facing the same issue with my new Honda City 5th Gen VMT.

There are subtle jerks as you accelerate in the second gear, around the 2000 rpm mark.

Have you found any resolution?
Old 14th April 2023, 22:45   #2978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyBITS View Post
I am facing the same issue with my new Honda City 5th Gen VMT.

There are subtle jerks as you accelerate in the second gear, around the 2000 rpm mark.

Have you found any resolution?
IMHO, it might be the A/C compressor clutch engaging with the pulley. Will exhibit the same symptoms as @ntorq mentioned. Power delivery is sapped for a millisecond. It's very evident at low rpms during gentle acceleration(faint throttle inputs) and when the car hasn't gained enough momentum.

I presume there are no workarounds in the consumer stand-point.
eccentric is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 09:12   #2979
BHPian

Honestly surprised by all the bad quality and rattle comments. My City has been with us for around eleven years now and has clocked over 70k and doesn't have a single rattle or squeak. Infact I was very annoyed when driving my cousins seltos as I am not used to any rattling. Further, my car has been almost flawless in reliability, other than sticky power windows, I haven't had any problem, not even the AC gas has been recharged once.
I suppose things are not really the same anymore which is a shame for Honda, they can be much better than this.

Last edited by Doge : 17th April 2023 at 09:13.
Doge is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 10:16   #2980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
Honda City 5th gen owner since Nov 2021 with around 10,000 kms here (ZX Petrol CVT). I mainly bought this for city use, because every other car we considered had a waiting period during that time and with offers this was about 4-5 lakhs cheaper than the SUV rivals.

Here are my top 20 observations in no particular order.
  1. The build quality, fit and finish of interiors are VERY poor compared to similar priced cars.
  2. The whole thing rattles so much. The main culprits for me are dashboard, headliner and sunroof, all of which rattles so much.
  3. I understand this isn't a luxury car, but nothing has rubber or felt lining so that also adds to the rattling.
  4. LED Headlights also shake and you can see it dancing during the night while driving. I've seen similar reports here on the forum.
  5. The leather seats are an exception to the poor build quality theme, they're very comfortable and are well made (the brochure says it's leather and not leatherette, don't know if it's true).
  6. Getting in and out isn't very easy and my head always hits against the frame. I'm around 5'11".
  7. Headroom in front and back is very poor.
  8. The infotainment system feels like its from a budget 5 lakh car. It's also not very visible in bright sunlight.
  9. Digital / analog combo instrument panel is good actually and has enough information. However the glass (plastic) on it scratches so easily and now looks ugly.
  10. The 8 speaker system sounds decent and could have benefitted from a small subwoofer.
  11. Rear camera plain sucks. Quality and functionality both are terrible. It doesn't have moving guidelines.
  12. Love the auto up / down windows on all 4 sides.
  13. The rear windshield sunshade is great, wish it came on rear doors as well.
  14. I also like the unlock sensors on doors and the walk away locks.
  15. AC works great, but I feel like cabin temperature sensor isn't calibrated properly as it will get COLD at 25c.
  16. The engine and gearbox combo is slouch. I haven't bought a naturally aspirated engine car since 2012 and this is my first CVT. They both sucks the joy out of driving. This will also be my last NA and/or CVT.
  17. Fuel economy I'm struggling to get it to double digits in the city (Kochi, Kerala).
  18. Ride is comfy but handling is pretty bad for a sedan that used to be a driver's car.
  19. I actually don't find the cabin noise a big issue, honestly it's fine for me with tires upgraded to Michelin Primacy 205 55 R16.
  20. Honda Connect never works properly and sometimes it just doesn't connect to the car. The app also is poorly designed with limited functionality. Such a subpar experience when compared to Kia Connect.

All said and done, if I had to redo this all over again, I'll choose one of the 20 lakh compact SUVs. I honestly regret buying this car and will sell once I get an opportunity.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but as a first gen Honda City VTEC owner, the tryst after 25 years has been very, let's say unromantic.

I feel you have just covered the negatives of this great car. I have clocked over 50000 kms on my 5th Gen City. My overall efficiency stands at an impressive 16.5 km/l. The comfort that this car provides is exceptional in both the rows. Trust me, I own a SUV which costs 40 lakh OTR, but still sometimes I wish if I could exchange the backseat of my City with the SUV.
You should test drive some compact Suvs in the 20-25 lakh range and you will soon realise, comfort that this car offers against CSUVs is leap ahead.

The naturally aspirated Petrol engine is a bit underpowered but it is not for the enthusiasts and loves to be driven in a linear pace. Its so smooth and silent.

Yes, the car rattles a bit from the headliner, but the rattles that you are facing are way too much for a 10000kms car. Please get it checked once at the service centre. The Beige-Black interiors make the car feels so much airy and plush. No other car offers this plushness in 16-18 lakhs. If you feel that the interiors of City are poor then you should definitely check out the German rivals, the cost cutting is very much evident, even they being 3-4 lakhs more. This is my personal opinion, but the car is a gem and my family prefers city over anything else for its comfort and safety.

This is my first time buying a Honda City, I’m convinced why people keep on upgrading their old City with the New upgraded City just like Innova owners upgrading and owning all generations of Innova.

Cheers.
Starwar19 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 16:41   #2981

Got a mileage of 22.3km/l recently
Over 150km (~30km in city and rest 120 on highway)
Kept RPM under 1500 during most of the journey
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-whatsapp-image-20230415-09.36.01.jpeg  

viksingla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 18:18   #2982
BHPian

Got first paid service done today. Total cost Rs. 3053. I refused all extras and to be fair they didn't push.
Old 18th April 2023, 02:48   #2983
BHPian

I think you are being a bit too harsh. NA/CVT can never be TSI/DSG. I have 2021 CVT ZX. I upgraded music system to rainbow audio, got DSP, ambient lights K3 installed, damping and a Blaupunk sub. Changed horn, Foglamps to projector lamps, changed tyres to 205.

I never had any rattling issues and since the music system change i actually love driving it at low speed. Ambient lights look amazing as well. Yes its no TSI but off-late i have been valuing the reliability factor more than anything else. This will be my beater car for many many years to come. Having said that I will probably buy a pre worshipped 3 series after three four years just for performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
Honda City 5th gen owner since Nov 2021 with around 10,000 kms here (ZX Petrol CVT). I mainly bought this for city use, because every other car we considered had a waiting period during that time and with offers this was about 4-5 lakhs cheaper than the SUV rivals.

Here are my top 20 observations in no particular order.
  1. The build quality, fit and finish of interiors are VERY poor compared to similar priced cars.
  2. The whole thing rattles so much. The main culprits for me are dashboard, headliner and sunroof, all of which rattles so much.
  3. I understand this isn't a luxury car, but nothing has rubber or felt lining so that also adds to the rattling.
  4. LED Headlights also shake and you can see it dancing during the night while driving. I've seen similar reports here on the forum.
  5. The leather seats are an exception to the poor build quality theme, they're very comfortable and are well made (the brochure says it's leather and not leatherette, don't know if it's true).
  6. Getting in and out isn't very easy and my head always hits against the frame. I'm around 5'11".
  7. Headroom in front and back is very poor.
  8. The infotainment system feels like its from a budget 5 lakh car. It's also not very visible in bright sunlight.
  9. Digital / analog combo instrument panel is good actually and has enough information. However the glass (plastic) on it scratches so easily and now looks ugly.
  10. The 8 speaker system sounds decent and could have benefitted from a small subwoofer.
  11. Rear camera plain sucks. Quality and functionality both are terrible. It doesn't have moving guidelines.
  12. Love the auto up / down windows on all 4 sides.
  13. The rear windshield sunshade is great, wish it came on rear doors as well.
  14. I also like the unlock sensors on doors and the walk away locks.
  15. AC works great, but I feel like cabin temperature sensor isn't calibrated properly as it will get COLD at 25c.
  16. The engine and gearbox combo is slouch. I haven't bought a naturally aspirated engine car since 2012 and this is my first CVT. They both sucks the joy out of driving. This will also be my last NA and/or CVT.
  17. Fuel economy I'm struggling to get it to double digits in the city (Kochi, Kerala).
  18. Ride is comfy but handling is pretty bad for a sedan that used to be a driver's car.
  19. I actually don't find the cabin noise a big issue, honestly it's fine for me with tires upgraded to Michelin Primacy 205 55 R16.
  20. Honda Connect never works properly and sometimes it just doesn't connect to the car. The app also is poorly designed with limited functionality. Such a subpar experience when compared to Kia Connect.

All said and done, if I had to redo this all over again, I'll choose one of the 20 lakh compact SUVs. I honestly regret buying this car and will sell once I get an opportunity.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but as a first gen Honda City VTEC owner, the tryst after 25 years has been very, let's say unromantic.
somebodystopme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 13:29   #2984
BHPian

My little contribution to this thread.

I live in Thailand, and given the absence of quality automotive forums (in English) here, tbhp as always, came to my rescue while deciding to buy the Fifth gen Honda City.

This is the pre-facelift version as dealers do not have any clue as to when the facelift will be launched here (rumors being second half of the year!).

Some differences from the Indian version of the Fifth gen Honda City
  • There is only 1 engine + gearbox option available: 1.0L Turbo Vtec + CVT This is a fun to drive engine, with loads of torque at lower RPMs. Reminds me of the Old Swift VDI back in India
  • This segment of cars are called Eco cars in Thailand, and are mandated to have engine capacity less than 1200cc
  • Honda City is more of an entry level sedan. So, misses many features compared to the Indian variant - Sunroofs, Left side park assist etc.

Other cars that were considered included : New Yaris Ativ, New Nissan Almera (Sunny), Mazda 2. Given the Eco car classification in Thailand, all the above came with ~1.2L NA engines, except the Nissan Almera (which also comes with a 1.0L Turbo engine).

Selected the most fun to drive car out of the lot. The suspension also seems to be tuned differently here as it mostly rides flat on highways and feels a bit stiff in the city. Not European flat, but does not seem to be as floating around like I read in Indian reviews (have not driven the Indian version yet). My variant (SV) is one below the top variant (RS), and comes with 185/60 R15 tires as standard. I asked around a lot of tire dealerships to upgrade as soon as driving out, but nobody was willing to give me any cashback for current tires, and were willing to only give me price for discarded tires. Seems like this practice doesn't exist here, and I will have to wait to run these out before upgrading.

Some more interesting facts about the car purchase process here:
  • Most dealers advertise On-road price in sales brochures. There is some margin for discounts/negotiations
  • Instead of discounts, they offer accessories, and lots of it. I got Honda certified front dashcams, emergency kit, floor mats, car cover, underbody rust coating, fuel card for THB 5000, 3M Ceramic sun film all around. Towards the end of the negotiations, the salesman just asked me what other accessories I needed - I literally did not remember what else I could ask for and closed the deal. Regretted later not asking for the RS kit
  • Most dealers get commissions from banks, and would throw more offers at you, if you go the finance route. Deals are much less if you buy on cash
  • Interest rates on finance are extremely low. My interest rate is 0.99% p.a. for a 4yr tenure. This combined with more freebies on finance swinged my decision from an all cash purchase to finance

Attaching some pictures (Switched to the RS front kit at THB 6500 a week after delivery)
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-picture3.jpg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-picture2.jpg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-picture1.jpg  

Sinner666 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 19:54   #2985
BHPian

Has anybody tried installing the relay for the auto folding orvms on the V variant? Is it possible to get thia done from ASS or we need to get this done from a FNG?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks