Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2020, 23:24   #1456
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 'Wiper Blade' Thread

A very interesting article on Jalopnik

https://jalopnik.com/how-to-replace-...eld-1845159817
Quote:
If your wipers are bad, you do not have to replace the whole arm. In fact, doing so could be a silly way to throw away money and precious natural resources. Instead you might consider replacing only the rubber strip, called the “refill.”
Is this available in India too? I think I've replaced the whole thing including the plastic which is pretty wasteful.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 00:06   #1457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post

Is this available in India too? I think I've replaced the whole thing including the plastic which is pretty wasteful.
Looks to be available on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07DNQ6WG6/..._KGJBFbT6E2836
I have done the same and this seems like a good idea.
adi.mariner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 09:02   #1458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Looks to be available on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07DNQ6WG6/..._KGJBFbT6E2836
I have done the same and this seems like a good idea.
Had it been cheap, it would have been a very good option. But this one is expensive. I got a wiper set from Valeo for 320/- last week. Have seen cheaper alternatives on Ali Express few years back.
Old 14th October 2020, 19:08   #1459

The 'Wiper Blade' Thread-uploadwiper-1.jpg

The 'Wiper Blade' Thread-uploadwiper-2.jpg

Upgraded windshield wipers of Vitara Brezza ZDi (2018) with Bosch Clear Advantage wipers. Stock wipers come with 24"/17", but I decided to go with 26"/17", after taking measurements of clearance from the co-passenger side wiper (17"). Things turned out to be perfect. Wiping is satisfactory, without any disturbing noise or marks on windshield.

Last edited by sumitmajumdarin : 14th October 2020 at 19:35. Reason: Posted twice due to network issues. Want to delete one post
sumitmajumdarin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 11:26   #1460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
My experience with Bosch was never great. I came across this "Clouds Teflon Coated Wiper Blade" with decent reviews on Amazon and purchased it for the Fortuner. I feel it is doing a better job that Bosch, but it might be too early to comment.
This one lasted only for 3 months, it started leaving water marks from 2nd week and now it has become unusable. Back to Bosch and it arriving through Amazon today
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 15:37   #1461
Senior - BHPian

My 2010 Civic badly needed a change of wiper blades. Due to less driving I had been postponing the decision for quite sometime now. However, with my increased driving now and with the monsoon season setting in, I started to search for them frantically. The HASS quoted 1k for each wiper blade and said they had no stock currently and had to place an order for the same.

Finally, boodmo came to the rescue. I was able to get OE wiper blades (MITSUBA) for the Civic and the total cost came upto only 1479 INR with free shipping. (Ignite had quoted 3K for a pair two years ago and that too for MINDA brand which I flatly refused). It was a 10 minute DIY to replace the wiper blades on the car and they are doing their job well now. Gave me a great sense of satisfaction overall.
rr_zen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 17:15   #1462
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This one lasted only for 3 months, it started leaving water marks from 2nd week and now it has become unusable. Back to Bosch and it arriving through Amazon today
If your vehicle is more than 5 years old - replace the arms along with the blades, you would be surprised with the results. Its an easy DIY for most vehicles.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 10:11   #1463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
If your vehicle is more than 5 years old - replace the arms along with the blades, you would be surprised with the results. Its an easy DIY for most vehicles.
Thanks for that tip. Mine is a 2013 Fortuner, let me try replacing the wiper arms next time.

Amazon delivered Bosch wiper blades yesterday, packing cover was partially open and the overall quality doesn't look Bosch like, I am not sure if they are genuine. Day 1performance is looking good, but that is been the case always.
gadadhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 11:04   #1464
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Can you explain why to replace the arm as well?
Old 20th October 2020, 11:55   #1465
Senior - BHPian

Picked up Michelin Rainforce Standard wipers for my Aspire last week. The earlier ones were Bosch standard wipers which I have been using since few years and kept replacing with the same type and those never lasted very long and used to leave streaks or never gave a clean wipe even when new. Frameless wipers never worked well even if it was from a known manufacturer like Hella.

The Michelin wipers were quite good as I got a chance to use them for a long duration last weekend when I did a trip to Chennai and it was raining during most of the journey. In slight drizzle as well as normal rain, and spray from vehicles ahead, the wipe was clean and complete with no streaks.

Last edited by tharian : 20th October 2020 at 12:24.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 12:40   #1466
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that tip. Mine is a 2013 Fortuner, let me try replacing the wiper arms next time.

Amazon delivered Bosch wiper blades yesterday, packing cover was partially open and the overall quality doesn't look Bosch like, I am not sure if they are genuine. Day 1performance is looking good, but that is been the case always.
I had ordered a fake bosch set once due to unavailability of real bosch, it did wipe just as efficiently as the Bosch but one day I noticed that the rubber strip is about to come off the bracket as the metal stamping was of poor quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The Springs that hold the wiper against the windshield becomes weak over time, the blades will start to smear water all over rather than wipe away. Try a new car`s wiper vs an older one - just lift them off the glass and let go, the snap back action will be different.

Try replacing the wiper arms next time, but make sure its nicely tightened, aligned after replacing and test it before going on a long drive in the rain.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 00:14   #1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Required if the spring force has reduced on the arm. A cheaper alternative to changing the arm can be to slightly bend the arm inward to increase the downward force on the glass.

The OEM wipers had started streaking on my Ameo, so I bought and installed a pair of Clear Advantage Wiper Blades which to my surprise didn't solve the problem. Finally bending the arms did the trick and the clear advantage wipers lasted for a good 2 years afterwards.

As of now I am using Hella Dynablade bought off from autofolk.in and may I say these work like a charm. Planning Silicone wiper blades for my next upgrade!
AdhirajVW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 18:42   #1468
BHPian

Guys, Is there any standard way or professional approach to adjust the water spray nozzle of the wiper?
Because in my beat, the spray is towards the roof line and if I try to adjust the nozzle hole using a bell pin, the spray goes either too low or high enough, but it would not stay in the middle of the windshield were I wanted it to be. Tried several times but could not place it in the right position. Any help would be of great help.
Old 4th November 2020, 23:34   #1469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post

Thanks for sharing.
I managed to replace the rubber strip on our old Figo's rear wiper. It was a pain to find the rear wiper for Figo and was yet to find one.
Finally after reading this, changed the rubber of the old wiper with one from recently discarded front wipers of the Figo. Though not ideal, is still leagues ahead of what was in place earlier. (9 years old now. )
However, as standalone replacement, the strips are almost as expensive as new entire wiper blades. Probably won't consider it.
jayakumarkp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 22:06   #1470
BHPian

So I've been reading this thread on wiper blade replacement. I have been replacing the rubber onto the old frame, as earlier the XUV original wipers were only available thro M&M.
With the normal frame the blades tended to jitter with strong winds or in a heavy downpour. I'm also a concerned citizen who believes in recycling rather than cause more garbage to this wonderful earth.

So I recently did the replacing using the rubbers now available online. So here is the video i made on how I did it. I do hope it will be useful for those who like a DIY!

p.s. Sorry for my hand blocking some parts - but at my age multi tasking is a challenge!

Last edited by Gerardfdz : 7th November 2020 at 22:09.
Gerardfdz is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks