Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2012, 17:12   #466
BHPian

re: The reversing camera & parking sensor thread

Toyota is offering body colored sensors for the camry for 6,000 is it worth it ? Or better to go with cheaper ones and get them painted ?
Old 11th April 2012, 17:29   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
I am looking at using the "MapMyIndia" display as the reverse display aswell, can save some money and will be multi-purpose. also has anyone have tried with Mobile phones? plug the mobile when u drive and use it for nav and aswel for the reverse camera??
I had the same plans but I dropped due to feasibility. I asked similar query and did spend some time to implement using my Android mobile but following are constraints.
1. need to buy device for conversion from Analog to Digital in order to get camera attached with Android mobile.
2. some program to use phone to display external video input.
3. do DIY to keep all in place.

Also, rather using MMI device as display, better get separate camera + display unit as that will be cheaper compare to MMI as the one which support reverse camera costs approx 15k.

Thanks,
Pradip.
Old 11th April 2012, 19:39   #468
Senior - BHPian

Have been thinking about the reversing system having rear sensors and camera, mostly clip-on IRVM for our Etios (will lot of help to the novice drivers driving it). A few products that could find online (not their exact prices though):

Anlud BT Cam IRVM - some Chinese brand I guess
The reversing camera & parking sensor thread-anlud-irvm-cam-bt.jpg

DHC Y-2635I
The reversing camera & parking sensor thread-dhc-y2635l-video-parking-sensors.jpg

RD Combo 80
The reversing camera & parking sensor thread-rd-combo-80-irvmcam.jpg

RD Combo 90
The reversing camera & parking sensor thread-rd-combo-90-lcdcam.jpg

RedSoul M4
The reversing camera & parking sensor thread-redsoul-m4.jpg

Following 3 may need to be used in combination
Xenos FG35M IRVM
The reversing camera & parking sensor thread-xenos-fg35m-3.5-irvm.jpg

Xenos CMS IR Cam
The reversing camera & parking sensor thread-xenos-cmos-camera-ir.jpg

Xenos VPS 4S Control Module
The reversing camera & parking sensor thread-xenos-vps4s-module.jpg

Xenos
The reversing camera & parking sensor thread-xenos.jpg
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 15:31   #469
BHPian

Parsh, I'm also looking for one for the Etios. What's actually the difference between the reputed brands and the not so reputed brands when it comes to products like these? Both provide warranty. Is there any difference in sensitivity?
Old 24th April 2012, 15:59   #470
BHPian

I recently got Wheels reverse sensor for my new Dzire and I am not too happy about my purchase. I have reverse sensor in my i20 (RD) and was sure i wanted one for my new car as we stay in apartments and there are pillars all over in parking. I have reverse camera in optra but i prefer sensors over camera.

Why i am not happy?
- Senor: When you are reversing while turning, there can be pillars that can come close on the side that can scarp edges of bumpers. Wheels do not sense that. I first thought placement of sensors are not right but when i saw my i20 , i dont see much difference and they are placed in corner enough.
Recently i went to mall and there was a shopping cart in parking (one that is made of mess\grill), these sensors could not detect it at all.

- display: Is too cluttered, as soon as you engage reverse gear, the display on rear view mirror switches on, there is a image of man and progress bar moving which is of no value add.

In i20 I have reverse sensor from RD and it can sense side pillars while turning. Not tried shopping card(may or maynot work) . The display is way simple, just one red light comes when reverse is engaged. When there is a object close by, a number showing distance is displayed which is perfect for me. Sound alarm is more or less same for both.

I went for Wheels as shopkeeper suggested saying it has better display, better support, hassle free and Also he said silver color is not available in RD.
Old 24th April 2012, 17:02   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious View Post
Parsh, I'm also looking for one for the Etios. What's actually the difference between the reputed brands and the not so reputed brands when it comes to products like these? Both provide warranty. Is there any difference in sensitivity?
Couldn't judge the exact quality of any of these, mostly not been able to find them in shops and experience them. However it would be quite similar I guess and not much diff in sensitivity specs either. Except for Xenos and RD (but maybe even these) all seem to be Chinese make essentially and imported. I am mostly looking for IRVM based Cam+Sensors. Got to see only DHC and IGadgetsIndia gadgets (not experience) which looked good build-wise. IGadgetsIndia ones also have BT facility in them, was quoted around 7300. I am mostly thinking of DHC/IGadgetsIndia/RedSoul M4 if and when I find one.
Old 24th April 2012, 20:13   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
Why i am not happy?
- Senor: When you are reversing while turning, there can be pillars that can come close on the side that can scarp edges of bumpers. Wheels do not sense that. I first thought placement of sensors are not right but when i saw my i20 , i dont see much difference and they are placed in corner enough.
Recently i went to mall and there was a shopping cart in parking (one that is made of mess\grill), these sensors could not detect it at all.

- display: Is too cluttered, as soon as you engage reverse gear, the display on rear view mirror switches on, there is a image of man and progress bar moving which is of no value add.
That's interesting. So it's better to go for the reputed brands? Would you please tell me the minimum distance in cm that the sensor can accurately predict? I don't think anything around 30cm will be that useful. Anybody can do that. It's the last 10-15cm that is really difficult to calculate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
C I am mostly thinking of DHC/IGadgetsIndia/RedSoul M4 if and when I find one.
The RedSoul M4 comes with camera and sensor? I think a good reverse cam is very useful. Maybe even more useful than a sensor. I remember seeing a Swift with a reverse camera getting as close as 3-5cm to another car while reversing. What's the use with a sensor system that tells you to stop when you are 30cm away from the object?
fast&furious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 20:25   #473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious

The RedSoul M4 comes with camera and sensor? I think a good reverse cam is very useful. Maybe even more useful than a sensor. I remember seeing a Swift with a reverse camera getting as close as 3-5cm to another car while reversing. What's the use with a sensor system that tells you to stop when you are 30cm away from the object?
Agree.
5 cms is quite normal.
Plus, Since I got the camera sometime back, I used to just glance at my stereo, and used to feel that was 30 dollars wasted.
But recently I drove another car extensively, and found out that that glance was QUITE useful.
But yeah, you get maximum of 120-140 degs of view, but you get used to it.
Old 24th April 2012, 20:57   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, M4 (as per specs and image) comes with both sensors and camera. That should be good however not been able to lay my hands on it yet. Actual vision is really important and I can vouch for that as I used to have a Dicky Mirror for my Innova long time back before I got used to rear distances and bettered rear judgements, it really gives near exact view to the ditches, nullah, barriers and cars standing at the rear.

Also the IRVM or LCD with Camera has kind of a grid layout for the various distances and you can learn to get better distance judgement and mark the best position to stop at after some time. Sensors would be generally useful for corner obstacles which may not be covered with the limited wide scope of camera vision for the corners.
Old 24th April 2012, 21:28   #475
BHPian

So, you guys recommend a reverse cam over a reverse sensor? I'm not very worried about the corners because 99% of the times you know what's behind you. And like most of you here, I use both ORVMs. All I need is some device that can help me judge the exact distance from the object.
Old 24th April 2012, 23:29   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Toyota is offering body colored sensors for the camry for 6,000 is it worth it ? Or better to go with cheaper ones and get them painted ?
Bumping this here.

Also, I prefer not to add a rear view mirror but an on-dash system, have driven some cars with the chinese rear view mirrors, don't feel to comfortable about how they hang and how much they move.

Any suggestions, and will Toyota *** paint the sensors on any given day or during service routine and any ideas about approx cost involved in painting?
Old 25th April 2012, 09:28   #477
BHPian

Quote:
That's interesting. So it's better to go for the reputed brands? Would you please tell me the minimum distance in cm that the sensor can accurately predict? I don't think anything around 30cm will be that useful. Anybody can do that. It's the last 10-15cm that is really difficult to calculate.

Its same .3 meters as others. This is goo enough for me. I now know how much i can move after last warning. It also saves the car from pillars on side.
Old 25th April 2012, 10:43   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bumping this here.

Also, I prefer not to add a rear view mirror but an on-dash system, have driven some cars with the chinese rear view mirrors, don't feel to comfortable about how they hang and how much they move.

Any suggestions, and will Toyota *** paint the sensors on any given day or during service routine and any ideas about approx cost involved in painting?
Suggest you specifically ask them to be painted, if you want, and not rely on them to decide to paint or not, they would not be so pro-active to think. Also, I don't think if you are getting it fitted from them, it should cost anything additional. For example, the TGA bumper corner protectors fitted thru their accessories department cost the same whether painted or not. But ask them to be painted before initial fitting only and not later in services etc.

You are right about IRVMs, quite a few danggle. But then if you find good fix (sometimes padding needed as per the fitment/design of original IRVM) as I have seen in quite few, they have been running thru many years without coming off.

Last edited by parsh : 25th April 2012 at 10:44.
Old 25th April 2012, 10:49   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Suggest you specifically ask them to be painted, if you want, and not rely on them to decide to paint or not, they would not be so pro-active to think. Also, I don't think if you are getting it fitted from them, it should cost anything additional. For example, the TGA bumper corner protectors fitted thru their accessories department cost the same whether painted or not. But ask them to be painted before initial fitting only and not later in services etc.

You are right about IRVMs, quite a few danggle. But then if you find good fix (sometimes padding needed as per the fitment/design of original IRVM) as I have seen in quite few, they have been running thru many years without coming off.
What my question was do I get them fitted hence painted at Toyota A.S.S. For 6,000 or get them fitted outside for around 2,000 and then take the car to Toyota A.S.S. To get them painted? Which will be more cost effective?

Also, not to comfortable with RVM display as I'm used to anti glare feature which reduces a lotof glare during night, with all the HID bulbs and high beams on road one needs that,oh and stocks quality is unmatched vs cheap Chinese mirrors even if the mount is good.
Old 25th April 2012, 11:05   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What my question was do I get them fitted hence painted at Toyota A.S.S. For 6,000 or get them fitted outside for around 2,000 and then take the car to Toyota A.S.S. To get them painted? Which will be more cost effective?
IMO, TASS will charge you a bomb for painting + re-fitting sensors. Its better you get exact quote from them for that first. However, if you get it fitted from them only then they would mostly not charge for painting sensors in addition to the basic cost.

Quote:
Also, not to comfortable with RVM display as I'm used to anti glare feature which reduces a lotof glare during night, with all the HID bulbs and high beams on road one needs that,oh and stocks quality is unmatched vs cheap Chinese mirrors even if the mount is good.
Yeah those facts are there with original vs after-market and especially Chinese makes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks