Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2010, 16:52   #736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post

I think you guys are right. Its better to make a way around it than over it.

Im planning for ezen in abt an year, so some basic doubts:

Also, how easy is to procure a esteem engine? Where are these generally found? Like scrap, total loss cars, etc?

Is it easy to get mpfi esteem engine fit in an carb zen? From what i have heard, carb to carb and mpfi to mpfi is easy.

However, imp is what is more fun, carb or mpfi?

is zen w/o power steering OK?
You will get esteem engine's from scrap dealers and from second hand parts markets. Dont know how much they would cost you in your city, but expect it to be around 15 to 30K for an mpfi unit. Carb units will be far cheaper. I was quoted Rs. 2000 for a carb esteem engine once here in Kolkata.

The esteem engine is a direct fit regardless of whether its an mpfi unit or a carb. Just that you have to procure all the parts for the mpfi unit like ECM, wiring, sensors etc. (don't know exactly what all, other's could you please confirm). Whoever told you that carb has to be replaced by carb and likewise for mpfi is just talking in the air. No such concept.

A mech who knows what to do with an mpfi engine can complete the swap without issues.

To answer your question regarding fun, the mpfi is 20 bhp more powerful. A carb engine can be made as powerful with some mods, but you should also know that with similar kind of mods the mpfi will still be 20 bhp more. Now if throttle snatch is something you like then stick with carb, if linear power delivery is what you prefer then go for the mpfi.
Old 4th June 2010, 17:23   #737
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed reply. It was eye opener for few things.

With engine change, its equally important to upgrade brakes and suspension, right?

Also, whats better, power steering or manual (in all respects)?

Last edited by devrajman : 4th June 2010 at 17:25.
Old 4th June 2010, 17:31   #738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Zen as such has a light steering. Its not very tight during parking too!

Changing a non PS zen to PS is not recommended and if you still plan to go ahead, it will be a very expensive affair.
Old 4th June 2010, 17:59   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed reply. It was eye opener for few things.

With engine change, its equally important to upgrade brakes and suspension, right?

Devang,

Rather you could say that the stock zen anyways needs better brakes. So you know that an ezen will need a good improvement in stopping power. Check the thread on fitting Esteem Type II brake booster. Also would help if you go in for Esteem rotors, pads and calipers.

Regarding suspension, it depends on how much money you are willing to spend.

The cheapest option is to get 3 strut braces, one front lower, one front upper and one rear. Along with that get gas shocks all round and zen diesel springs for the front.

Second option is to go for a set of Koni shocks. This will greatly improve handling and stability.
Old 8th June 2010, 09:54   #740
BHPian

As most of you know I have a 2005 zen MPFI. I wanted to know if a Baleno gearbox will be a direct fit.

If yes, what will be the difference in performance?
Old 8th June 2010, 11:39   #741
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I will come back to you folks shortly once i have Vitamin-M ready!
Old 8th June 2010, 11:50   #742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post
As most of you know I have a 2005 zen MPFI. I wanted to know if a Baleno gearbox will be a direct fit.

Aint the short ratio on the zen more fun to drive? What are the other mods u are doing on the zen, baleno engine on the zen?
Old 8th June 2010, 15:16   #743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

+ 1 to mr.bean, why would you do that on a zen the baleno engine will surly rock but a baleno gear box will make the zen a difficult car to drive.

Pramod
Old 8th June 2010, 16:42   #744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Aint the short ratio on the zen more fun to drive? What are the other mods u are doing on the zen, baleno engine on the zen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
+ 1 to mr.bean, why would you do that on a zen the baleno engine will surly rock but a baleno gear box will make the zen a difficult car to drive.

Pramod
Considering the kind of raw power and torque the G16B gives you am sure the short gear ration will take a back seat in case he plans a swap. Only problem I see would be the brakes of the zen.

shreyas are you serious about an engine swap ? BTW there is a B-zen around my area and I kinda see that thingy fly past always, giving a few 1.6's a run for their money.
Old 8th June 2010, 17:34   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Considering the kind of raw power and torque the G16B gives you am sure the short gear ration will take a back seat in case he plans a swap. Only problem I see would be the brakes of the zen.

shreyas are you serious about an engine swap ? BTW there is a B-zen around my area and I kinda see that thingy fly past always, giving a few 1.6's a run for their money.
Not only the brakes, how about the chassy and drive train, will it hold up to the G16B.

Reliability & handling would be a question mark..
Old 8th June 2010, 18:19   #746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Not only the brakes, how about the chassy and drive train, will it hold up to the G16B.

Reliability & handling would be a question mark..
I don't think chassis reinforcement is needed though, unless its throwing out some real raw power like fordrocam's city. Am sure with the GB swap even the drive train warrants a swap( need to confirm though).

Reliability shouldn't be a problem if its done by the right person. There are quite a few swaps like the ezen running in town without any reliability issues.
Old 9th June 2010, 09:56   #747
BHPian

Not yet decided to swap. But I want to know if the differece between the gearboxes will be positive or negative.

My question is only about a gearbox swap and will retain the zen engine.
Old 9th June 2010, 11:39   #748
BHPian

Quote:
Not yet decided to swap. But I want to know if the differece between the gearboxes will be positive or negative.

My question is only about a gearbox swap and will retain the zen engine.
You cannot fit a baleno gear box on to the zen engine. The bell housing will not seat, the two sizes will vary.
Old 9th June 2010, 14:44   #749
BHPian

Can someone tell me what the approximate cost of an MPFI esteem engine would be? And would it be necessary to go for the transmission as well?
Old 9th June 2010, 15:15   #750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithin_86 View Post
Can someone tell me what the approximate cost of an MPFI esteem engine would be? And would it be necessary to go for the transmission as well?
Generally the engines come for anywhere between 10K to 30K depending on condition & availability.

Actually the gearbox which gets the best out off an esteem engine is infact the zen gearbox. Ask INRC guys, they prefer zen gearbox's over the esteem's. Simply because the esteem gearbox has taller ratios which takes away accelaration and low end torque.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks