Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2011, 14:25   #1441
Senior - BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
P.S: Would have really helped if you could have managed to post a pic of the damage.
I tried to take a pic from inside the car, but it is not showing up. Actually from inside it is visible even to the eye only when the background contrast is correct. From outside it is visible against the grey backdrop of the dashboard, but while taking a pic the glare/reflection on the wind screen causes a problem. I will get around it somehow and post a pic. A regular digital camera will help but I don't have one.

Today morning I told my wife and son to locate the scratch. My wife could not but my son did after careful scrutiny. Both feel it can be left alone provided it will cause no other problems. So I went to MSM during lunch break and made them record on the back of the invoice that there is an unresolved scratch on the film, with their seal and signature. Just in case - if I decide to leave it alone and some problem arises after a year or two! Who in MSM will remember this at that time?

I will drive around for a couple of weeks and then decide.
Old 18th April 2011, 14:51   #1442
Senior - BHPian

@Gansan, since they can replace it, please get it replaced. We people are way too lenient and dont have to adjust with such work.
Old 20th April 2011, 12:35   #1443
BHPian

FYI,

Permitted Tinting levels in Delhi, by Delhi Traffic Police

Use of dark, black or reflective glasses in vehicles is not permitted as per law. As provided in Rule 100 of Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989, the glass of windscreen and rear window of motor vehicles should have a visibility of at least 70% and that of side windows a minimum visibility of 50%. The specification of glass should conform to Indian Standards [ IS:2553 - Part 2 - 1992 ]. The front windscreen shall be of laminated safety glass, whose pieces do not fly in the event of a crash and edges would be less jagged than in case of ordinary glass.

Link: Delhi Traffic Police, New Delhi (India) - Tinted Glass in Motor Vehicles
Old 21st April 2011, 12:42   #1444
Senior - BHPian

@Gansan: If you decide to live with it, I suggest you put a small sober sticker on the scratch so that it ceases to be an eye-sore and doesnt cause any further damage. Of course, only if this does not obstruct your visibility while driving.

OT: The used Civic I bought in the US had a small crack on the windshield which was quite an eye-sore for me (me being the stickler for perfection) and the only way I could avoid looking at it was to have a sticker stcuck on it.
Old 21st April 2011, 13:08   #1445
BHPian

I have a quick question here. How should I clean the glass from inside ? I have installed the windscreen sunfilm. It became a bit oily :(
Old 21st April 2011, 13:43   #1446
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
I have a quick question here. How should I clean the glass from inside ? I have installed the windscreen sunfilm. It became a bit oily :(
I use a Glass Cleaner liquid that I got it from an accessories shop. Use a soft cloth to clean it. Do not use it roughly. A mild swipe would do the job.
Old 21st April 2011, 14:08   #1447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
@Gansan: If you decide to live with it, I suggest you put a small sober sticker on the scratch so that it ceases to be an eye-sore and doesnt cause any further damage. Of course, only if this does not obstruct your visibility while driving.
What kind of sticker? Will cellophane tape do? Anything else would distract me.

As of now the consensus is to leave it alone. Since MSM have acknowledged in writing about the presence of unresolved scratch, they can always be approached should some problem arise in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
Wiping lightly with a slightly damp cloth and then directing the blower towards the windshield does the job for me - both before and after sun film.
Old 21st April 2011, 14:20   #1448
BHPian

I infact got a 3M CR70 installed on the front wind shield recently. Love its effectiveness. But like in Gansan's case have scratches. Its not one but there are several of them all along the dashboard. Not in the prime viewing area but can easily be seen and felt by hand.

So should I ask for a replacement. Do i run the risk of second install having more number of air or dust bubbles? Please advice.
Old 21st April 2011, 14:45   #1449
Senior - BHPian

@rohitm

As mine is a single, 2" long, horizontal scratch about 2" from the bottom of the windshield, I am loathe to disturb an otherwise perfectly installed sun film. If there were several scratches, I would not have hesitated even a second to demand a re-install.

But please check with the gurus whether the film removal process can weaken the wind screen in any way.
Old 21st April 2011, 14:55   #1450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
What kind of sticker? Will cellophane tape do?
Thats exactly what I had in mind when I typed but then remembered what I did for my Civic and that's why the sticker suggestion. Its best to go with cellphane tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitm View Post
I infact got a 3M CR70 installed on the front wind shield recently. Love its effectiveness. But like in Gansan's case have scratches. Its not one but there are several of them all along the dashboard. Not in the prime viewing area but can easily be seen and felt by hand.

So should I ask for a replacement. Do i run the risk of second install having more number of air or dust bubbles? Please advice.
If you can feel the scratches, I suggest you demand a replacement immediately. Where did you get this rather unprofessional installation done? Was it a 3M authorized dealer ?

Last edited by rr_zen : 21st April 2011 at 14:57.
Old 21st April 2011, 17:50   #1451
BANNED

Hi All

If this scratch mark is a tear mark you are talking about - mine took 3 months to disappear with a new Huper optik klar 70 installation.

Please be patient.

--Ragul
Old 21st April 2011, 17:55   #1452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Hi All

If this scratch mark is a tear mark you are talking about - mine took 3 months to disappear with a new Huper optik klar 70 installation.

Please be patient.

--Ragul
It is indeed like a tear mark - like a neat straight slash with a razor blade. Can be felt by hand, but not gone all the way through the film, according to the installer.

How will it disappear? I will be glad if it does!
Old 21st April 2011, 17:59   #1453
BANNED

Quote:
It is indeed like a tear mark - like a neat straight slash with a razor blade. Can be felt by hand, but not gone all the way through the film, according to the installer.

How will it disappear? I will be glad if it does!

Parking in the sun can speed up the process. I did nothing. the dealer advised me to wait a few months even before installation and I did.

HTH
--Ragul
Old 21st April 2011, 21:53   #1454
BHPian

Quote:
He said the scratch is superficial and has not gone through the film (he says it is a thick film), so the effect is only cosmetic according to him.
During my first service at Nandi Toyota, Bangalore, despite my clear warning about windscreen sunfilm (VKool VK70), they managed to scratch it somewhere in the middle; around 4 inches long. Not very visible, but run your nail over it and it bumps there. Deep enough. Seems like what you got too! As expected the Service guys said it was superficial. But the VKool installer said warranty is void! Nandi Toyota agreed to replace it at their cost. I suggest check the warranty aspects.
Old 22nd April 2011, 07:21   #1455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Parking in the sun can speed up the process. I did nothing. the dealer advised me to wait a few months even before installation and I did.

HTH
--Ragul
I don't understand the highlighted part. Please elaborate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
During my first service at Nandi Toyota, Bangalore, despite my clear warning about windscreen sunfilm (VKool VK70), they managed to scratch it somewhere in the middle; around 4 inches long. Not very visible, but run your nail over it and it bumps there. Deep enough. Seems like what you got too! As expected the Service guys said it was superficial. But the VKool installer said warranty is void! Nandi Toyota agreed to replace it at their cost. I suggest check the warranty aspects.
But in my case it was the chief installer from the Garware dealership, who came to inspect after my complaint, said it has not gone deep and no harm will be done. He said he will replace it if I wanted.

That is why I got MSM to record the unresolved scratch on the invoice. They agree to replace the film during the five year warranty period, if some problem arises around this scratch area.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks