Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2016, 12:49   #2101
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Bear in mind that after some time it won't help. ... ... ...
We are putting energy into the system: we cannot exclude it altogether, other than by keeping the car in the garage. However, we can allow less energy into the system.

It is like turning the gas burner down to simmer.

If parked in the sun then the car, without much chance of loosing energy, will reach the same temperature, but take longer to do it. When driving, we are using the AC, so if we have 50% less energy entering, then we need 50% less effort from the AC to take it away.

Please take this in the spirit of analogy: it is not meant to represent actual maths or physics, which I am not very good at.
Old 29th April 2016, 13:25   #2102
Senior - BHPian

Very much interested in getting Garware film installed on my car to reduce this unbearable heat! Can anybody from Bangalore suggest a good place for getting this installed?

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 29th April 2016 at 13:27.
Old 29th April 2016, 16:03   #2103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Got the front windshield done with CR70 at 3M RS puram, Coimbatore. Took about 3 hours in all including the body wash, interior cleaning and the installation of the sun-film.
Hey, I could not help notice the "wipers" on your Figo. Which are they and any idea if it is available in Bangalore? I have tried for the same (aero-twin) Bosch, not finding it anywhere...
Old 29th April 2016, 22:33   #2104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Hey, I could not help notice the "wipers" on your Figo. Which are they and any idea if it is available in Bangalore? I have tried for the same (aero-twin) Bosch, not finding it anywhere...
They are from Hella, the model is called Dyna-Edge. I bought it from a shop here in Coimbatore, however I have also seen them online (Search for Hella Dynaedge on Snapdeal).
Old 5th May 2016, 23:44   #2105
Senior - BHPian

TEG, 3M used to sell the photochromic film in the late 90s. I had it installed in my Honda City Type1 in '99 but only on the side windows. I would tell people that the glass itself was photochromic and then used to enjoy watching their jaws fall to the floor with a live demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I was talking about glasses as in spectacles. Confusing word, maybe. But photochromic sun film would be wonderful. I think they use this sort of technology for big glass buildings?

Especially for the front windscreen, I'd buy photochromic film straight away, if I could possibly afford it, I suspect that I wouldn't be able to

When it comes to sun films cops at least in the southern part of Dilli are maniacs. With the onset of summers, every other day I see them cutters in hand and wicked gleams in eyes stopping passenger cars from Alto to Audi and slash the films on the side windows. By this time the "I am so & so" owners are pleading with them not to slash out the front wind screen films due to fear of damage to the big glass.

Cross your fingers as & when you travel to these parts and yes they are most active on weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBeastTSI View Post
I have CR70 on front WS and front two side windows.

Regarding cops, I don't think in NCR there should be an issue. Not sure about Chennai though, heard cops are more strict in Chennai, Bangalore.

Notwithstanding what I posted above, am planning to get Llumar Air80 on the front windscreen of one of my rides. The side windows will remain bereft.
Could you share the prices for the Llumar70 & air 80, TIA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Finally got Llumar films installed. Pp70 for the windshield and pp60 for all others. The heat rejection is good and its made a difference.

My next car will get the air 80 for the windshield along with the pp60. That's an even better combination.
Old 6th May 2016, 08:14   #2106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Notwithstanding what I posted above, am planning to get Llumar Air80 on the front windscreen of one of my rides. The side windows will remain bereft.
Could you share the prices for the Llumar70 & air 80, TIA.
The Air 80 is one the most expensive from Llumar. Depending on windshield size the price will be quoted.

The PP70 is much cheaper but heat rejection is 38% compared to 43% for the Air 80.

I would suggest you go with Air 80 for the windshield and PP70 for the rest. Its very difficult to detect the 70 as its got a slight silver tinge to it.

Air 80 was close to 8k for the windshield for the SX4 and this combination cost me 7.2k for entire car.

Last edited by straight6 : 6th May 2016 at 08:17.
straight6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 08:22   #2107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I have used CR90 in the past, and I haven't found it to be less than the 70 for all but one very important area - cutting the glare from the sun. The 90 is close to useless for that.

Unfortunately cutting glare seems to go hand in hand with light transmission levels, and the only way to handle that effectively in the current legal situation is to wear sun glasses.
I have CR90 on my Tata Zest front windshield, its very effective in the sun. But evenings & night it does cut visibility a bit. Not enough to concern me yet, though. Its not an issue as long as you dont do long highway drives in the night.
Old 9th May 2016, 00:37   #2108
BHPian

Hello Team,

My Fiesta Classic came with factory tinted on all sides, but driving during the day is still uncomfortable due to heat.

I was contemplating whether to go for sun film or not. Then decided to visit 3M Car care at Nungambakkam, Chennai. They showed me two films RE70 and CR70. They patiently explained the difference. I enquired about CR90 as my car is already factory tinted, however they did not have stock.

They showed me a Skoda Rapid Red fitted with CR70 in the windshield. It looked cool, in sunlight, it had a mild shade and wasn't all dark.

So I went for CR70 for my front windshield for now. They charged me Rs. 8118.00 inclusive of taxes.

They took good 2-2.5 hours to waterwash and fix the film. Neat job done. They took time, ensured they squeezed all the bubbles out.

While driving home, I was able to feel sun glare reduced. Yet to drive in the night.

They said the film carry 5 years warranty against bubbles, peel off by itself and fading.

Last edited by SriramEfunds : 9th May 2016 at 00:52. Reason: Added warranty information.
Old 9th May 2016, 01:05   #2109
BHPian

I had a word with an insurance surveyor regarding sunfilms/ tints on the car. He said that if it's a small claim they generally tend to overlook it, but if it's a big claim (specially if there is a causality) then they may deny the claim as sunfilms are deemed illegal. Thanks to this forum that I stumbled upon the legal aspect of this issue. Now I have dropped the idea of sunfilms totally and would look for alternatives.
wrongturn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 07:39   #2110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
I had a word with an insurance surveyor regarding sunfilms/ tints on the car. He said that if it's a small claim they generally tend to overlook it, but if it's a big claim (specially if there is a causality) then they may deny the claim as sunfilms are deemed illegal. Thanks to this forum that I stumbled upon the legal aspect of this issue. Now I have dropped the idea of sunfilms totally and would look for alternatives.
Good decision.

Remember that with small claims, one often doesn't go to the insurance company because of the economics of losing the NCB. The big claims are the problem. Along with any court imposed sanctions if the police decide to ask for these.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 14:51   #2111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
It had never even occurred to me before seeing the previous post on the subject. That made me reconsider and now your post is making me think very seriously indeed.

A refusal by the insurance company could mean not only loss of one's own vehicle but life-ruining third-party claims for damage and injury.

I think this is the sunfilm dead end for me. Just when I had decided to go for CR90 or something equivalently clear, even if expensive!
Old 15th May 2016, 10:05   #2112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It had never even occurred to me before seeing the previous post on the subject. That made me reconsider and now your post is making me think very seriously indeed.

A refusal by the insurance company could mean not only loss of one's own vehicle but life-ruining third-party claims for damage and injury.

I think this is the sunfilm dead end for me. Just when I had decided to go for CR90 or something equivalently clear, even if expensive!
In addition to the legal implications, there is also the safety isuue to consider.
Driving at night with a film on front windscreen is not safe. It would cut down on visibility and one might not see pedestrians, cycles and even vehicles parked without lights in dark areas.
Old 15th May 2016, 12:59   #2113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
there is also the safety isuue to consider.
I'm very concerned about safety aspects, which is why I did not want to put CR70, absolutely fine (according to me) for clear glass on already-tinted glass.

This is particularly important to me, as I do most of my driving in the evening. I am so concerned about it, that, even if the rest of my car is filthy, you will always find the glass clean!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 15th May 2016 at 13:15.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 21:59   #2114
Distinguished - BHPian

I have the CR70 film on my front windshield. Am planning to fit an RFID sticker on it for my sea link toll. Will the toll gateway sensor be able to detect the RFID sticker through the film?
Old 31st May 2016, 22:08   #2115
BHPian

Do the cops catch you particularly in Delhi & Chandigarh, if you have CR70 on your front screen?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks