Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2015, 16:21   #9421
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Can FMs suggest the best replacement for stock head lamps on the polo. I feel blinded by the high beams and with own lights so low, can barely make out the divider quite some times barely escaping. I intend a non warranty voiding replacement that i can carry over to the service center guys to replace. I have a 2013 polo highline.
Old 21st November 2015, 11:47   #9422
Senior - BHPian

My Philips Xtreme vision (100% brighter) H4 passenger side bulb finally gave up a couple of days back. This one lasted 18 months. I had bought these in April 14 and posted the review here. I had paid 950 for a pair at AK traders.

Any one who has recently bought Philips Xtreme vision plus (130%) from AK traders Bangalore? How much does it cost for a pair?

I have had a legacy of these high power bulbs across three cars I have owned. Philips Xtreme power-2 pairs, Philips Xtreme Vision -1 pair and now looking out for XV plus.My experience with these has been very good. The life expectancy is a dampner though.It hardly lasts 18 to 24 months. Invariably the low beam conks off.
Old 21st November 2015, 12:36   #9423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
My Philips Xtreme vision (100% brighter) H4 passenger side bulb finally gave up a couple of days back. This one lasted 18 months. I had bought these in April 14 and posted the review here. I had paid 950 for a pair at AK traders.

Any one who has recently bought Philips Xtreme vision plus (130%) from AK traders Bangalore? How much does it cost for a pair?

I have had a legacy of these high power bulbs across three cars I have owned. Philips Xtreme power-2 pairs, Philips Xtreme Vision -1 pair and now looking out for XV plus.My experience with these has been very good. The life expectancy is a dampner though.It hardly lasts 18 to 24 months. Invariably the low beam conks off.
I had a similar experience where I found the life of the bulbs a bit of a dampener. But then I read up on it and took some precautions while using them.

1. Avoid using High Beam while in city traffic where you are stopping frequently. These bulbs generate heat and that in turn reduces their life when the car is at standstill, with less wind cooling on the headlamps. Best to use it while cruising on empty roads or highways.

2. The Quality of the Relay used for headlamps also plays a big role in supplying the power within the safe ratings and current behaviour. My trusted mechanic put in a local relay that lasted for 5 years but I had to frequently
change the conked bulbs. Recently, its outer shell cracked during servicing and I got an original Bosch relay fitted and have had no problems for almost 2 years with headlamp bulbs intact.

P.S. Even I follow the legacy of getting all my owned vehicles changed with the Phillips headlamps. I use 100/110 W bulbs (earlier had 100/130W). These are like angels for mountainous roads at night in foggy conditions in winters where my car is used the most!
Old 21st November 2015, 15:07   #9424
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anyone have any pictures of the Hella worklamp, the cheapest hella I believe. Reading through the thread, i read that a lot of people have used it, but no picture showing what kind of lighting it provides.
Old 21st November 2015, 17:15   #9425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamarthMehrotra View Post
I had a similar experience where I found the life of the bulbs a bit of a dampener.
1. Avoid using High Beam while in city traffic where you are stopping frequently. These bulbs gen....

2. The Quality of the Relay....

Even I follow the legacy of getting all my o].....
Actually, both points are not applicable for me. I never drive in high beam in the city as I know these bulbs can be bright enough to blind drivers. And I have always used 55/60 bulbs which are street legal. Have somehow never felt the need to upgrade to relays and 100/110 bulbs..

Incidentally, in all my previous bulbs, the lower beam conks off first as it is the most frequently used.

Yes. It used to be my previous employer and they are the best in terms of automotive lighting.
Old 21st November 2015, 18:42   #9426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
they are the best in terms of automotive lighting.
The Automotive Lighting JV between Robert Bosch GmbH and Magneti Marelli was founded in 1999 and Bosch sold their shares to Magneti Marelli in 2003, effectively making Automotive Lighting (including the Bosch brand of lighting products) a Magneti Marelli company The Reutlingen plant (I assume you'd know which one) still builds lighting products for A-L.
Old 21st November 2015, 19:02   #9427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
The Automotive Lighting JV between Robert Bosch GmbH and Magneti Marelli was founded in 1999 and Bosch sold their shares to Magneti Marelli in 2003, effectively making Automotive Lighting (including the Bosch brand of lighting products) a Magneti Marelli company The Reutlingen plant (I assume you'd know which one) still builds lighting products for A-L.
Haha. I was referring to Philips as my previous employer. But, Robert Bosch Engg is my current employer:-) So my association with Automotive parts leaders still continues. RB is an established and strong player in Automotive electronics and safety. Not tried their bulbs though. I still prefer Philips.

Coming to the topic, I got the Philips Xtreme vision plus bulbs at an effective price of about Rs.12XX at Ebay india for a pair of H4. The MRP was 1640/- I used a paytm 15% discount code, some payback cash. Lets see when they come home. Will post a review.

Last edited by hrman : 21st November 2015 at 19:14.
Old 21st November 2015, 19:16   #9428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Haha. I was referring to Philips as my previous employer..
But, Robert Bosch is my current employer..:-) So my association with Automotive parts leaders still continues.
I started my reply with "If you're referring to Bosch..." but deleted it before posting :P Good to know that you're associated with Bosch

Quote:
Incidentally, in all my previous bulbs, the lower beam conks off first as it is the most frequently used.
I've had more High beam filament failures than low beams, despite having a similar usage pattern as yours - high beam used only for flashing, and driving with low beam almost always.
Old 22nd November 2015, 08:19   #9429
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I came across a site xenonplanet.in selling essentially HiDs and LEDs. They are also listing Hyaluxtek ballasts (not CANBUS by the looks of it). They claim to have CN bulbs etc. Any reports / experience?
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 15:23   #9430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Can someone help in sourcing Lumax or neolite Aux lamps? 8-10 inch ones? At my wits end trying to find them online or off!
I recently came across someone on FB selling 9 inch Xenon/HID Lightforce Style lights in various Watts (55W,75W and 100W) with external ballasts. I think the page was called HID Driving Lights or something. Good Luck
Old 23rd November 2015, 19:52   #9431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post

I recently came across someone on FB selling 9 inch Xenon/HID Lightforce Style lights in various Watts (55W,75W and 100W) with external ballasts. I think the page was called HID Driving Lights or something. Good Luck
this guy is more expensive than hella!
I'm looking for the Lumax, local Indian stuff. They're dirt cheap. Want to drop in some 10w Leds into them, so don't want to spend 17k on these,in what is basically a blow-it-up DIY.
Old 24th November 2015, 01:28   #9432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I came across a site xenonplanet.in selling essentially HiDs and LEDs. They are also listing Hyaluxtek ballasts (not CANBUS by the looks of it). They claim to have CN bulbs etc. Any reports / experience?
Yeah, a friend got their Projectors done from them and he's pretty satisfied.
Old 28th November 2015, 01:30   #9433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I use an Xtreme Vision on my motorcycle. Have been using it for well over three years now.

Just one real suggestion, in crawling traffic, I find it best to turn off the headlamps and use just the pilot lamps to ensure visibility. When everyone is bunched up in traffic, the lights from the vehicles nearby is good enough and it also lets the bulb cool down for a bit.

I have a query of my own. I saw the thread about the Morimoto D2S being installed on a Polo GT.

Wondered if there was a similar kit for my bike and voila, I found it!

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...l#.Vlizj-LLdyU

I am looking to get the 50W version since the bike was already re-coiled to accommodate a 55W halogen. Will the electricals be able to take a 50W HID though?

My question is, is the upgrade really worth the 10k odd it will cost? I am looking for effective lighting solutions that will also be effective during the rain.
Old 28th November 2015, 11:20   #9434
Senior - BHPian

Planning to upgrade the bulbs in my Vento( single barrel lamps). Yellow light is enough as it is more of a need than a want.
Went through this thread and here is the list
Phillips Rally H4 90/100W.
Phillips relay kit.
Is this correct? Have I missed out on anything? I'm planning to do a DIY so any useful sites with pictures and simple instructions would be nice.
Turbohead
Old 28th November 2015, 12:45   #9435

Hello ,

Can someone tell me what bulbs to use to increase the brightness brightness n distance in the the 3rd generation scorpio (2015) as the stock bulbs are very poor the highways.

Most Viewed