Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2009, 11:03   #2551
BHPian

Brighter lights for my Optra Magnum

Hi guys,

I have tried to scan this thread in fair bit of detail and have got a fair bit of idea of how to improve the car lighting though a lot of technical terms are beyond the comprehension of a B.Com (h) & MBA guy (i.e. me).

The problem that I am facing is that the lights of my magnum are indeed inadequate. Honestly, I never realised this untill I read about it on another forum and subsequently my dad and my driver have both confirmed it.

I tried putting the Phillips H4 100/90 w bulbs over the Orignial Equipment of H4 60/55 w (not sure which ones) but light has not improved at all. This could be because of inadequate current flow to the bulbs.

I am exploring two options right now:

a) Continue with the current 100/90 w bulbs and get a relay installed. This according to my dad would be the easiest and most effective way of improving the light by 20%. (He was successful in doing it in his FIAT ages back when I was not even as tall to reach the headlights)

b) Get the XENONS installed once and for all and as a mature driver, run on low beams. I am willing to do this if option a is not a significant improvement

What becomes critical is that I commute 90 kms everyday (45 during the night) through a hilly roady connecting Gurgaon to Faridabad which has no lighting at all. Considering the safety, money is not a problem as long as the solution is effective, long lasting, does not damages any orignial equipment of my magnum and of course is kind to other drivers.

Your help (in relatively non-tehnical language) would be highly appreciated
Old 8th January 2009, 13:31   #2552
BHPian

@ferrari_driver - I think you should try option 1 first, install a relay along with Philips Rally 100/90W and you should notice considerable improvement. The 100/90 bulbs without relay will not give optimal output.

Last edited by Shakensoul : 8th January 2009 at 13:33.
Old 8th January 2009, 13:47   #2553
BHPian

Details of Wirning / Coupler etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post
@ferrari_driver - I think you should try option 1 first, install a relay along with Philips Rally 100/90W and you should notice considerable improvement. The 100/90 bulbs without relay will not give optimal output.
Thanks man. Just had a minor clarification to go along with your suggestion. When I go to my local car accessories shop, is there is a particular kind / brand of Relay which I should ask for? Also, what about the wiring / coupler or any other details, which I should be aware of .

The Philips 100/90 w bulbs which I had bought cost me only Rs 170 for two bulbs. Wud you be able to guess which ones did I purchase? Cos. going by the thread the Rally bulbs are more expensive

I just want to be fully informed so that I am not taken for a ride. Cos. it does not take too long for a mechanic to figure out my level of understanding of Auto Lingo
Old 8th January 2009, 14:57   #2554
BHPian

^^Can you drive down to EOK where Driven is located ? The shop stocks both relay and Philips Rally bulbs and installation will not be a hassle, and you'll not be taken for a ride.
Old 8th January 2009, 15:06   #2555
BHPian

Folks,
Correct me if wrong, the scorpio fogs use H3 on them?
Can you replace the stock 55w with 100 w ,Will not destroy the samll housing in fog lamp set up. of course will use with a relay.
Old 8th January 2009, 16:07   #2556
abk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porus View Post
Dear Abk,

While i totally agree with you on your stated reason of fog lamps ( narrow range), but i do not understand how the narrow light would help in fog and rain. This is the main reason for my question. Current standard Fog lights are so narrow if i start the headlight ( not main beam) they would be of no use in Mumbai except for making a fashion statement being on. Practical use on highway would be null, may be on streets it would be the fashion statement.
I did see a so called halonix light bulb @ Rs:55 each/- and would prefer to keep the standard OEM stock lights rather than ever compromise on quality.

One query do the standard fog lamps prove effective in actual fog ( north as you mentioned)? is it like they prove effect in dense fog and not on street/highway in normal conditions. I mean if its supplied it must have a expected useage ?

Thank you for the recommendation. I will surely check up the street prices for Osram Nightbreaker and All season.
Dear Porus,

I haven't seen how much light the Zen Estilo fogs throw and the nature of the throw (distance, width, beam's horizontal alignment, etc). Based on your statement I would imagine it is not useful for you. In that case upgrading wattage may help but only marginally. This risk you will run with wattage upgrades is serious damage of the fog reflectors due to more intense heat produced. As you have reckoned the stock fogs are not designed for long throw. They are effective through dense fogs during slow drives (say max 20 kmph). Beyond this speed due to short throw of fog light they will cease to be effective. They are also handy while driving on very bad roads (again the speed being the criteria, up to 20kmph). For city driving at say 40-60 kmph fogs will only help in illuminating the sides or the lane marks. This is the expected usage! Also, these days fogs add a lot of cosmetic value to any car
Old 8th January 2009, 16:30   #2557
BHPian

Dear ABK,

20 kmph- The Beast does not get unleashed. 60 kmph does the trick ( curtailed due to process running in the new engine.

This is my plan. Use OEM right now. Had planned a short highway (400kms - to and fro ) trip thus wished for more fog light. There are no street lights where i'll be visiting - Religious trip.

However I am planning to curtail change of lamps now.
After the highway trips are over will take a decision, but under no circumstance would like to do anything that effects warranty.
Thanks for your guidance, would take a good look at OSRAM as suggested soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk View Post
Dear Porus,

I haven't seen how much light the Zen Estilo fogs throw and the nature of the throw (distance, width, beam's horizontal alignment, etc). Based on your statement I would imagine it is not useful for you. In that case upgrading wattage may help but only marginally. This risk you will run with wattage upgrades is serious damage of the fog reflectors due to more intense heat produced. As you have reckoned the stock fogs are not designed for long throw. They are effective through dense fogs during slow drives (say max 20 kmph). Beyond this speed due to short throw of fog light they will cease to be effective. They are also handy while driving on very bad roads (again the speed being the criteria, up to 20kmph). For city driving at say 40-60 kmph fogs will only help in illuminating the sides or the lane marks. This is the expected usage! Also, these days fogs add a lot of cosmetic value to any car
Old 9th January 2009, 09:57   #2558
BHPian

Just Installed HID Kit

I have installed the HID Conversion Kit of Philips (Made in Germany) yesterday only. However, the alignment of the two lights was improper which I am trying to get fixed from a GM workshop (hope they agree to do it for my optra given its not originial equipment)

The dealer informed me that there is no warranty given by Philips but he has given me a 1 year warranty (in writing on a proper bill which I got after paying 12.5% VAT) excluding the bulbs.

Would anyone have an idea as to :

a) How much would the bulbs cost in case they fuse?
b) In case GM refuses to align the lights, will the dealer (from whom I have bought it) be able to do it properly?

Also, is there a remote chance of the reflector (not the coupler) melting due to intense heat?
Old 9th January 2009, 12:53   #2559
Senior - BHPian

Philips bulbs are rather cheap abroad. Originals go for around $100 a pair, without warranty. Prices here depend on how much the dealer wants to rip you off.

Aligning your lights is easy to on your own. Check your car's manual for instructions.

There is no chance reflectors will melt because HIDs produce much less heat than normal halogens while delivering more usable light (because they are very efficient).
Old 9th January 2009, 13:06   #2560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari_driver View Post
In case GM refuses to align the lights, will the dealer (from whom I have bought it) be able to do it properly?
Also, is there a remote chance of the reflector (not the coupler) melting due to intense heat?
If GM refuses to do it officially, tactfully find out who their head electrical mechanic is. Talk to him in private and he will do it outside the workshop. Perhaps in your house. Please remember that these mechanics are fairly ill paid and would happily do such jobs on the side.
It's very unlikely that your bulb dealer can solve the problem.
Old 9th January 2009, 13:37   #2561
BHPian

Alignment feedback by GM

Just sent the car for HID alignment to a GM workshop. To my surprise I found out that the low beams were aligned but they say there is some fault in the right side bulb for high beam alignment.

I called up the guy from where I had bought it, who said he would fix the alignment on his own.

I did some research and found out that one of the bulbs is deliberately lower to avoid glare on the oncoming traffic (Source : forum on Acura's site)

I am totally confused now.....I am thinking to continue like this anyway as the high beam light is partly out of alignment and as moral responsibility, I plan to use the low beam 90% of the time
Old 9th January 2009, 16:33   #2562
BHPian

Hi Team,

I have picked up a HID (Auto pal) from my friends car (which was sold ),

When I took the HID to be installed for my car, only then I realized that, a cutout(not sure wht is this called other wise) is required and this is not available separately, I had forgotten rather not realized to remove the Cutout from the car and when I checked back in the car the Cutout is missing from the car

Can someone help me to get this Cutout for my HID kit, One of the Car Accessories shop guy told me that he can install the HID without the Cutout, but am not confident in doing this

thank you
Old 9th January 2009, 18:16   #2563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari_driver View Post
I did some research and found out that one of the bulbs is deliberately lower to avoid glare on the oncoming traffic (Source : forum on Acura's site)

I am totally confused now.....I am thinking to continue like this anyway as the high beam light is partly out of alignment and as moral responsibility, I plan to use the low beam 90% of the time
This is true only in the case of projectors. They have a plate inside which is cut in such a way that the right side is dipped down to avoid glare. Of course, in LHD projectors, the plate is cut in the inverse way.

The bulbs have no such systems. In case you're curious, in bi-xenon projectors, it is this plate that is actuated by the solenoid and folded down when you hit high beam (thereby letting the projector... umm... project the whole beam onto the road).

EDIT : Added a couple pics to show you what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreenivas View Post
Hi Team,

When I took the HID to be installed for my car, only then I realized that, a cutout(not sure wht is this called other wise) is required and this is not available separately, I had forgotten rather not realized to remove the Cutout from the car and when I checked back in the car the Cutout is missing from the car

Can someone help me to get this Cutout for my HID kit, One of the Car Accessories shop guy told me that he can install the HID without the Cutout, but am not confident in doing this

thank you
If by cutout you mean a relay, you can find this in any automobile accessory shop. But you do not need one for HIDs because normal HIDs are 35w while halogens are 55/60w. Therefore, the original wiring can easily take the load. Of course, you can install one for warranty reasons.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-2249275455_3c59f7cd12_b.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-tlzkwrep3.jpg  

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 9th January 2009 at 18:26.
Old 9th January 2009, 22:41   #2564
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreenivas View Post
Hi Team,

thank you

do you mean the ballasts?
Old 9th January 2009, 22:48   #2565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
do you mean the ballasts?
I think he ment the metal cover on the front of the HID,That is used to avoid glare.

Some installers remove it as to get more lights out of the HID,Resulting into blinding effect.

Most Viewed