Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2009, 11:03   #2566
Senior - BHPian

I have a query here:

I converted to 100/90W Philips Rallye lights 2 year ago. It has been properly installed using Lucas wiring kit at the dealership. Performance is nothing short of excellant.

Since then I have changed about 4 blown headlamps. I am not able to understand the issue.

1. I got the voltage checked which is fine.
2. I do not pull the stalk up when the headlights are on dim to activate bright since I read on Tbhp that it will activate both points.
3. Constantly change from bright to dim to avoid over heating of a point.
4. The lamps were brought at a reputed shop. All bulbs are imported by Philips India as mentioned on the box.

Now:

A. can I revert to my old 60/55W OE bulbs with the same wiring and holder?
B. I recently read on Tbhp that there exists a 60/55W bulbs which gives similar results as the Rallye, yet is legal. Can someone remind me on that bulb?

Last edited by mail4ajo : 11th January 2009 at 11:06.
Old 11th January 2009, 11:56   #2567
BHPian

Headlight upgraded

Upgraded headlight to 100/90 in my safari. Cost as below:

Hella bulb 100/90 (2 nos) : 400
Wiring harness, relay,
ceramic holder (matrix) : 650
Labour charge : 150
Total : 1200

The plastic cap on the back of the light assembly need to be cut to allow the holder and the wire to go in. Didn't like that.
Old 11th January 2009, 14:22   #2568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I have a query here:

I converted to 100/90W Philips Rallye lights 2 year ago. It has been properly installed using Lucas wiring kit at the dealership. Performance is nothing short of excellant.

Since then I have changed about 4 blown headlamps. I am not able to understand the issue.

1. I got the voltage checked which is fine.
2. I do not pull the stalk up when the headlights are on dim to activate bright since I read on Tbhp that it will activate both points.
3. Constantly change from bright to dim to avoid over heating of a point.
4. The lamps were brought at a reputed shop. All bulbs are imported by Philips India as mentioned on the box.

Now:

A. can I revert to my old 60/55W OE bulbs with the same wiring and holder?
B. I recently read on Tbhp that there exists a 60/55W bulbs which gives similar results as the Rallye, yet is legal. Can someone remind me on that bulb?
Attach a multimiter to bulb holder and raise engine RPM. Voltage should not be more than 13.8 at peak. If voltage is correct then I suggest changing relay (only relay, not the whole wiring) and you cal also try with some different brand of 100/90w bulbs.

Regarding your other queries
A. Yes definately you can. No problem at all.
B. I also remember I read something like that but just can't recall sorry
Old 11th January 2009, 16:30   #2569
BHPian

I've changed both High Beam and Low Beam for my 2002 Palio to Philips Rally bulbs more than 2 years ago. ( H1 - 100W / H7 - 90W). Ordered it over eBay. Cost of 4 bulbs is around Rs.1000 I installed it myself (5 min job) without any relay / wiring / ceramic holders. Palio already has a relay for headlights which is capable of taking the additional load. Till date I do not have any problem what so ever !! The light intensity is fantastic as compared to the original Philips 55W / 60W bulbs.

I'm not sure if a relay would indeed increase the efficiency of the bulb !! If you are not confident of the quality of the headlight reflectors or bulb holders, I would suggest getting the ceramic ones.
Old 12th January 2009, 00:21   #2570
BHPian

Hello People I have a query-
Want to upgrade the stock headlamps on my hyundai getz.Dont want any cutting/relays/ceramic holders hence have to get 55/60w bulbs.Which is the best option available?
Old 12th January 2009, 10:02   #2571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreenivas View Post
Hi Team,

I have picked up a HID (Auto pal) from my friends car (which was sold ),

When I took the HID to be installed for my car, only then I realized that, a cutout(not sure wht is this called other wise) is required and this is not available separately, I had forgotten rather not realized to remove the Cutout from the car and when I checked back in the car the Cutout is missing from the car

Can someone help me to get this Cutout for my HID kit, One of the Car Accessories shop guy told me that he can install the HID without the Cutout, but am not confident in doing this

thank you
a relay is often referred to as cut out
its freely available at any spare shop

HID has Ballast,wiring harness,and bulb as its main component along with relay.
All components of HID are available seperately.
Old 12th January 2009, 10:21   #2572
BHPian

Hey guys,

After going through this thread, (trust me those are lot many pages ),
I went ahead and installed, Philips Rally 100/130 W.
To make sure, the holders dont heat, I have got ceramic holders to withstand the heat produced.

Some of the snaps. Well camera couldnt do the right justice, but does the job. First snap is on Low Beam, second is on High beam, and last is facing the car
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-full-.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-low-beam.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-high-beam.jpg  

Old 12th January 2009, 13:19   #2573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reji22 View Post
Hello Das
I have fitted 100/90 Philips for my Ford Fusion after changing the wiring and fitting a relay. They are adequate for night riving at moderate speeds. Recently, I fitted my Forester with OSRAM Night Breaker 55/60 costing Rs1500 a pair. They are also fine. You can fit OSRAM without changing your wiring.
Reji
Hi Reji
Thanks for the suggestion. Read up more about the 'Night Breakers' and will try them out this weekend. Can you tell me how much the 100/90 Philips with cut outs cost for the Ford Fusion?
Das
Old 12th January 2009, 15:38   #2574
BHPian

HID - Relay(Cutout)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
If by cutout you mean a relay, you can find this in any automobile accessory shop. But you do not need one for HIDs because normal HIDs are 35w while halogens are 55/60w. Therefore, the original wiring can easily take the load. Of course, you can install one for warranty reasons.
Hi Immortal,
I checked with couple of people who do the HID Installation, all of them Suggested to buy the Relay(Cutout) or else they said there is a high risk to burn out the wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
do you mean the ballasts?
Hi Akshay,

I have the Ballast and the Bulds except the Relay(Cutout)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
I think he ment the metal cover on the front of the HID,That is used to avoid glare.
Some installers remove it as to get more lights out of the HID,Resulting into blinding effect.
Hi Noidaboy,

Was talking about the Realy(Cutout)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
a relay is often referred to as cut out
its freely available at any spare shop

HID has Ballast,wiring harness,and bulb as its main component along with relay.
All components of HID are available seperately.
Hi Akshay,

I did try to get the relay this weekend, none of the automobile shops and Car accessories shop have spare replay with them, (For Autopal they have a different type of Relay) I did a hunt for these relay on JC road Banaglore.
Old 12th January 2009, 20:36   #2575
abk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Hi Reji
Thanks for the suggestion. Read up more about the 'Night Breakers' and will try them out this weekend.
Das
I will suggest if I may (?) try Philips X-treme Power, if available. They are marginally better than Osram Night Breaker.
Old 12th January 2009, 21:17   #2576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreenivas View Post
Hi Akshay,

I did try to get the relay this weekend, none of the automobile shops and Car accessories shop have spare replay with them, (For Autopal they have a different type of Relay) I did a hunt for these relay on JC road Banaglore.
HID kit on my bike uses a 4 pin Relay(forgot the exact specifications).
Its the same that is used in horns.
costs around 100 bucks.
it looks like this but with four pins
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-relay.jpg  

Old 13th January 2009, 01:42   #2577
BHPian

Sreenivas

Is this the one you are asking about

H1&H7 Relay Wire
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dsc02156.jpg  

Old 13th January 2009, 08:25   #2578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Hi Reji
Thanks for the suggestion. Read up more about the 'Night Breakers' and will try them out this weekend. Can you tell me how much the 100/90 Philips with cut outs cost for the Ford Fusion?
Das
It should not cost you more than Rs.1500 for 100/90 bulbs and wiring kit with relay. Better to go for heavy duty relay.
Old 13th January 2009, 10:37   #2579
BHPian

Quote:
It should not cost you more than Rs.1500 for 100/90 bulbs and wiring kit with relay. Better to go for heavy duty relay.

Yeah agree with reji22. If the relay is not good, they might damage your bulbs too.. So worth spending money on relay.. rather than regretting later
Old 13th January 2009, 10:53   #2580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is on the high side. Rs.1000/- or slighly below that is what has been my expense and also for few more people in this forum. Few of them have even given out the breakup of the cost for reference.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks