Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2011, 17:41   #5176
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon View Post
Hi Shubz, what does "perfection" mean here? I kind of understand you quoting it but not the reason. Please do explain.
Tandon saab. I deliberately put it in quotes cos this is the language used by the electrician who changed the relay in my car. When asked what perfection, he said, see - electronic components got to be very good, and they are very tenderly manufactured, they are not for rugged use where as the ones by PMP and Roots are manufactured for rugged us. This is the "perfection" he was talking about.
Old 14th June 2011, 18:02   #5177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz

When asked what perfection, he said, see - electronic components got to be very good, and they are very tenderly manufactured, they are not for rugged use where as the ones by PMP and Roots are manufactured for rugged us. This is the "perfection" he was talking about.
Speechless although not surprised. I guess whatever floats the boat.

I've a similar experience but not in cars. Will be OT here so will post on the appropriate gadget thread.
Old 14th June 2011, 18:24   #5178
Senior - BHPian

@naveen.raju, do you recommend any shops in cochin to do a an upgrade?

Have read the last couple of pages and have decided to go for 90/100 with relays, stock wiring and holders.
Old 14th June 2011, 18:41   #5179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Its basic electrical stuff dude.
Power = Voltage X Current
Curent drawn by one 12V 55W bulb = 55/12 = 4.58 A
Current rating for the fuse = No of bulbs X current per bulb
= 2 X 4.58 = 9.16 A
Allowing a factor of 1.2 to 1.5 times steady state current for initial in rush current, final fuse rating should be 9.16 X 1.2 A or 9.16 X 1.5 A.
Thanks so much ilangop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
Jose,How much did you pay for the set?
Cost me 4.3 K including switch, labor and clamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
During weekend, I went ahead and got installed Hella Comet 450 lamps on my M800. Initial impression is good, but I'll give thumbs up only if these lamps provide good illumination in the rains .

good job man! i liked it Now even im planning to do the same thing in my 800. Looks good bro
Wait for my feedback after driving in the rains. If they don't help in rains, then I'd say the money is wasted .

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post

Have read the last couple of pages and have decided to go for 90/100 with relays, stock wiring and holders.
I assume you are having a brand new Ritz. Why don't you try M.A.S.S. so as not to void your warranty. Just my thought.

Regards,
Jose.
Old 14th June 2011, 18:50   #5180
Senior - BHPian

MASS do not do upgrades to the best of my knowledge, or do they??? otherwise a lot of people would upgrade from there, correct??? I am confused!

Automate did a horrible install on my ice, it whines like a race car whenever i press the accelerator pedal. so not so impressive work there? are ther hella dealers in cochin?

http://www.shop4hella.com/

Last edited by govigov : 14th June 2011 at 18:52.
Old 14th June 2011, 19:10   #5181
BHPian

Quote:
MASS do not do upgrades to the best of my knowledge, or do they??? otherwise a lot of people would upgrade from there, correct??? I am confused!

Automate did a horrible install on my ice, it whines like a race car whenever i press the accelerator pedal. so not so impressive work there? are ther hella dealers in cochin?

Shop4Hella.com
govigov, once when I took my car to Indus Thevara, they offered to upgrade the HL. But due to lack of time, they couldn't do it.

Auto Team, Palarivattom was willing to fix aux. lamps in my car but they didn't have clamps. So I guess Auto Team would offer to do they upgrade. Check with them.

I was looking for Comet 450 and I didn't check my many shops in Cochin, but I found the largest collection of Hella lamps in Auto Mate. Next largest collection was at Global Tires, Maradu. Galaxy, Emperor, Karr+ and Auto Plus did not have the stock for 450 lamps (the last shop is mentioned in Hella website). Hence I went ahead with Auto Mate. I also did ICE install from the same shop around 2 years ago and they just work perfect.

Regards,
Jose.

Last edited by josejoseph : 14th June 2011 at 19:12.
josejoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 19:16   #5182
Senior - BHPian

Auto team is on my way to work. shall drop by them day or tomorrow!!!! not complaning about auto mate, they have asked me to come into fix the whining problem. let us see how that goes.

Do you think another try should be given to auto mate? that way i can fix the ICE, upgrade headlamps and horns at the same time????
Old 14th June 2011, 20:00   #5183
BHPian

So, I just talked to one of the garage owners I trust and he advised not to put in auxiliary lamps.
Reasons
1. Have to drill holes in the bumper to get any stability.
2. Even then it will not be very stable and vibrate - thus cause light to jump around and strain during driving.

So, am going in for 100W Phillips/Osram bulbs on stock reflectors along with relay and harness. The reflectors will go bad in a year or so but am planning to replace the bulbs to stock after the drives. Hopefully this will prolong the life by another year or so.
Estimated cost: under 1500.
Old 15th June 2011, 07:43   #5184
BHPian

Quote:
Auto team is on my way to work. shall drop by them day or tomorrow!!!! not complaning about auto mate, they have asked me to come into fix the whining problem. let us see how that goes.

Do you think another try should be given to auto mate? that way i can fix the ICE, upgrade headlamps and horns at the same time????
If you can get it done at Auto Team, then that would be the best.

Else try Auto Mate once again. IIRC, the person who does the installation is Pradeep.

Thanks,
Jose.
josejoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 09:31   #5185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I see that a lot of decisions have already been made . Anyways regarding the upgrade, MASS wont do if we buy the parts from outside. I experienced this.

Emperor would be an option but they have some serious attitude problem. Get in touch with Riyaz. He is the best person out there. I got my bulbs installed here and after that got projectors from here too. Pretty good work.

Last edited by naveen.raju : 15th June 2011 at 09:33.
Old 15th June 2011, 09:34   #5186
BHPian

Quote:
MASS does not do headlamp upgrades, as far as I know. I checked with Ford for my Fiesta and there also got a strict no. The SA also warned about losing warranty on electrical components, if I fit an aftermarket light upgrade. I guess the Osram NB+ is the only way out for cars with active warranty.
Do update if you find a way around to keep the warranty intact and upgrade the lamps.
Old 15th June 2011, 09:44   #5187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
MASS does not do headlamp upgrades, as far as I know. I checked with Ford for my Fiesta and there also got a strict no. The SA also warned about losing warranty on electrical components, if I fit an aftermarket light upgrade. I guess the Osram NB+ is the only way out for cars with active warranty.
Do update if you find a way around to keep the warranty intact and upgrade the lamps.
Here's my experience. I had bought Osram Cool Blue (90/100) bulbs and went to MASS. They said they wont install it as:

1) It's not bought from MASS
2) Upgrading to higher rated bulbs in Swift D can cause some electrical component to burn (he didnt know the name)

I asked him if I do i from outside will it void the warranty. He said as long as I dont cut the wires it will be fine. Since all upgrades are plug n play nowadays, I went in for the upgrade. Later on changed to projectors. During my last service, I asked the SA about this and he said since the wires arent cut, it's fine. But they wont recommend this or do it at MASS.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 09:51   #5188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
... I asked the SA about this and he said since the wires arent cut, it's fine. But they wont recommend this or do it at MASS.
Thanks for this info Naveen. I will check with the Ford SA this Saturday on the 'no wires cut' part. I am hoping they would not create an issue. I really need to upgrade the head lights on the Fiesta.

Has any one upgraded both H1 and H7 in the Fiesta? If I understand the process correctly, it will involve two pairs of wiring harness and relays. basically double the equipment required for a H4 upgrade.

Fiesta is going in for second service this Saturday. I hope I can still make it for the mini meet at Nucelus mall.
Old 15th June 2011, 10:07   #5189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this info Naveen. I will check with the Ford SA this Saturday on the 'no wires cut' part. I am hoping they would not create an issue. I really need to upgrade the head lights on the Fiesta.

Has any one upgraded both H1 and H7 in the Fiesta? If I understand the process correctly, it will involve two pairs of wiring harness and relays. basically double the equipment required for a H4 upgrade.

Fiesta is going in for second service this Saturday. I hope I can still make it for the mini meet at Nucelus mall.
Anytime bro. I have seen many fiesta's with upgraded lights (Halos and HIDs too). This will involve double the equipments (guess this is true). Why dont you check the new service station (one behind EMC). Meet Mr Rajesh or Rakesh (Dont remember the name). Guess he is the service manager at this new place. I used to communicate with him when I had Fiesta.
Old 15th June 2011, 10:41   #5190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I have.
put in 90/100s for all 4.
youre right.
one set each for each pair.
2 sets of hardware.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks