Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2013, 21:11   #7831
BANNED

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulk2510 View Post
Hey,

Can fellow members spread some light on the longevity of NB Plus and XV H4's.
My NB+ H4s in the Brio have completed one year with no problems.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 23:30   #7832
BHPian

Vijay I agree with you

Relay output would always be better than philips XV or osram nb and since you do a lot of highway driving I would add aux Hellas apart from relay

Member treadmark recommended a different shop one page back

Good luck and do share your progress here
Old 14th December 2013, 23:45   #7833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
My experience is otherwise. When the headlight stalk is pulled towards the driver I.e. in 'pass' mode both low and high beams are on. And going by some experience on the roads even for cars with separate bulbs for high and low beams that would be the case.
Have'nt tried this yet on any of the cars that I have owned. But I think this particular situation should be avoided even if this is possible in any of the cars. If both high & low beams are on at the same time, won't the heat generated be just too much for the bulb & reflectors to handle? The situation will be especially hazardous if the bulb is, say a 100/90 one. 100+90 Watts will be flowing to the bulb through the same wiring harness, and the same bulb has to handle 190 watts of power & associated heat together.I don't think the bulb will be able to take that type of abuse continuously on a regular basis. The reflector & headlamp glass will probably melt over a period of time.Also the wiring harness too may not have enough breathing space if this much power is drawn by the bulb at the same time.Though both beams powered on at the same time may give improved illumination, i don't think that is something that majority of the car headlamps & wiring kits have been designed for
Old 15th December 2013, 05:58   #7834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
The situation will be especially hazardous if the bulb is, say a 100/90 one. 100+90 Watts will be flowing to the bulb through the same wiring harness, and the same bulb has to handle 190 watts of power & associated heat together.I don't think the bulb will be able to take that type of abuse continuously on a regular basis. The reflector & headlamp glass will probably melt over a period of time.
Well let's clarify a few points first:
1. For any bulbs beyond 55/60 you shouldn't be using the stock harness. You should be using a separate relay with ceramic holders.
2. In my 12 years or more of driving I have used the flasher liberally and never found any bulbs conking off or headlights melting. Even with 100/90s.
3. The flashing function where both low and high beams stay on has to be activated by pulling the headlight stalk towards the driver. The moment you release the stalk it returns back to the low beam position. So unless a driver wants to hold the stalk indefinitely pulled towards himself both the beams would never be on.

The flashing works as intended and has no adverse impact as you have described.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 08:49   #7835
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Can you share the price for Rear LED & Parking light LED? Also does EVO keep stock of these or do you need to pick them up for somewhere and EVO does the install?
Old 15th December 2013, 09:01   #7836
BHPian

Friends, Can someone recommend a shop where Philips rally 100/90W is sold in Trivandrum? I searched in Sreekaryam/Pongumoodu/ Uloor area, but didn't see a Philips store.
Old 15th December 2013, 09:14   #7837
BHPian

Dear All,

My father gave the car for its 50k km service a couple of weeks back.

I have been using Philips Essential Vision 90/100 for over two years now. These are good bulbs which are not completely yellow but have a tinge of white in them and have decent spread and intensity. The bulbs had conked off once and for some reason the high-beam fuse had gone off a couple of times.

Before giving the car for service, the high-beam fuse had conked off again so my father told the SA to replace it. However the SA suggested to get 6000 K HID's installed instead as they are "way better" than regular bulbs and that he would do the needful.

All this while I was in Ahmedabad and hence didn't know about the events taking place back home. When I came home a couple of days back, I was pleasantly surprised . However the pleasant part of it was short-lived.

What i noticed was that the right bulb is less white than the left bulb. It is not something that would maybe make it fall in different kelvin temperatures, however it is enough to be noticed.

Secondly what i noticed was that these bulbs are from a manufacturer that I have never heard of. (Picture attached)

Thirdly, although the low beam falls perfectly, the highbeam is literally like a beam and goes straight on (not going upwards towards the sky but parallel to the road)

Sorry for the low quality pics :-

Low Beam :-

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-low-beam.jpg

High Beam :-

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-high-beam.jpg

The HID kit :-

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-kit.jpg

Need Help !!

P.S. The Kit costed around Rs 4500. This further makes me suspicious about its quality.

Last edited by Enigmatic : 15th December 2013 at 09:31.
Enigmatic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 18:33   #7838
BHPian

Quote:
Well let's clarify a few points first:

The flashing works as intended and has no adverse impact as you have described.
If that is the case, then why is this feature not present in all new generation cars ? I repeat again, the practice is not intended for "liberal" use as you said you have been doing all these 12 years .My friend has a unicorn which has this feature and he used to flash the high beams with low beams on, regularly. He had to change 2 bulbs in the first year of purchase itself.Initially when he used to brag about this feature to me, I used to think why Bajaj had not enabled this fature on my pulsar. But after seeing his experience, I am happy that my bike does'nt have that feature. Now he has also stopped this practice. In your case, u would have been lucky enough that nothing conked off and melted. But please don't argue that it is a healthy & normal practice with no risks whatsoever. Your upgraded wiring harness may take the extra load, but it is definitely going to affect the bulb's life in the long run. Also worth mentioning is the inconvenience that you would have caused to the oncoming vehicles with both beams of your 100/90s on. ( no offense meant, but I don't understand why should someone liberally light up both beams quite frequently, even after upgrading to 100/90s).I have been driving for 15 years now, but have never tried this, even though I have been using upgraded wiring harness with ceramic holders and 100/90 Essential visions/Rally bulbs for the past few years.
Old 15th December 2013, 18:59   #7839
Senior - BHPian

Dear Mr Vinod,

I am talking about four wheelers, and have absolutely no idea whatsoever about two wheelers and their electricals and features.

Secondly flashing is used by drivers worldwide to signal the oncoming traffic or the vehicle ahead of any overtaking maneuvers or as a signal to switch to low beam. A quick jab (or pull) at the headlight stalk and release and you are done. Repeat this for a couple of times if once is not enough. Nobody in his sane mind drives with the headlight stalk permanently pulled towards the driver. The headlight stalk cannot remain in the flashing mode by itself. Once you release the stalk it returns to the "low beam" position as explained in my earlier post.

I don't understand your point here: This is a technique used by EVERY driver to signal, and has been around for ages. Why do you want to take offense to it now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Need Help !!

P.S. The Kit costed around Rs 4500. This further makes me suspicious about its quality.
The words "with technical support from Germany" indicates it's a spurious brand - not necessarily bad news, but please don't expect any warranty or support or any guarantee of performance.
Having said that the beam patterns do look good.

Last edited by honeybee : 15th December 2013 at 19:04.
Old 16th December 2013, 10:47   #7840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
I switched from phillips rally 100/90 to hella 100/90 and back to phillips rally. Based on the experience I rate phillips rally much better than hella in terms of luminousity in regular traffic and rains. Have moved the hellas to the spare box.
Thank you for your views, will switch to Philips Rally this time. Also how about Philips Rally 100/130?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Vijay I agree with you

Relay output would always be better than philips XV or osram nb and since you do a lot of highway driving I would add aux Hellas apart from relay

Member treadmark recommended a different shop one page back

Good luck and do share your progress here
Thank you for your suggestion, had planned for aux hellas earlier but I am afraid that some one will whack it off one day so dropped the plan.

Regards,
Vijay
Old 16th December 2013, 11:49   #7841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_k View Post
Thank you for your views, will switch to Philips Rally this time. Also how about Philips Rally 100/130?

Regards,
Vijay
Would suggest to avoid 130/100 as it may cause burnout of the reflector due to the heat and difficulties to the other road users.

In fact, when I installed my 100/90 with the relay, my installer had fitted Hella 130/100 bulbs which I noticed only when one of the bulb got fused. Based on recommendations in this thread, switched to Phillips 100/90. I was extremely satisfied with them despite using 130/100 earlier.

When one of the Phillips bulbs got fused, I replaced the set with Hella 100/90 as Phillips was not available nearby only to find that the output is not on par with Phillips. Now I am back to Phillips and extremely happy.
Old 16th December 2013, 12:49   #7842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Would suggest to avoid 130/100 as it may cause burnout of the reflector due to the heat and difficulties to the other road users.

In fact, when I installed my 100/90 with the relay, my installer had fitted Hella 130/100 bulbs which I noticed only when one of the bulb got fused. Based on recommendations in this thread, switched to Phillips 100/90. I was extremely satisfied with them despite using 130/100 earlier.

When one of the Phillips bulbs got fused, I replaced the set with Hella 100/90 as Phillips was not available nearby only to find that the output is not on par with Phillips. Now I am back to Phillips and extremely happy.
Thank you, will stick on to 100/90 philips rally then.

Regards,
Vijay
Old 16th December 2013, 14:05   #7843
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Mr Vinod,

I am talking about four wheelers, and have absolutely no idea whatsoever about two wheelers and their electricals and features.

Secondly flashing is used by drivers worldwide to signal the oncoming traffic or the vehicle ahead of any overtaking maneuvers or as a signal to switch to low beam. A quick jab (or pull) at the headlight stalk and release and you are done. Repeat this for a couple of times if once is not enough. Nobody in his sane mind drives with the headlight stalk permanently pulled towards the driver. The headlight stalk cannot remain in the flashing mode by itself. Once you release the stalk it returns to the "low beam" position as explained in my earlier post.

I don't understand your point here: This is a technique used by EVERY driver to signal, and has been around for ages. Why do you want to take offense to it now?

I would request you to please read my original post carefully. I never said that flashing the headlights is not normal.It is perfectly ok to use the flasher.What I was talking about was using the flashing lever at night when the headlight is on low beam.In most vehicles the low beam gets cut off and only high beam glows in such a situation, but there are vehicles where both filaments glow at the same time.I was talking about this exact situation.(You were also talking about the same in your first post, and I just shared my opinion regarding that. and I don't understand how all of a sudden u got this idea that I am talking against the normal flashing operation including day time too.) Please go through what I have shared in previous posts.It is flashing the high beam while still the low-beam glows is what I am talking about.Hope this becomes clear to you now.If both filaments light up in a particular car when the flasher is pulled while on low beam, then I would prefer to momentarily switch to high beam & then back to low beam to signal to the other driver to lower his beam, or that I am going to overtake. Knowing that lighting up both filaments at once is not good for the bulb's life, I would'nt want to risk that, however short the duration of flashing may be. In such a car, I would use the flasher lever only during day time.I just wanted to share this thought.That's all.Each person has his own habits and would want to pursue that however good or bad that may be. You are following what's comfortable to you and I am doing what's comfortable to me. Other than that, No offense taken or meant. I think we have discussed quite a bit about this small topic now,and it's time that we get back to the main topic of this thread.
Old 16th December 2013, 14:48   #7844
BANNED

Sorry honeybee. In the UK a flash is a 'come opn' signal, i.e. I am ceding way top you. I think UK is also part of the world.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 17:01   #7845
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Sorry honeybee. In the UK a flash is a 'come opn' signal, i.e. I am ceding way top you. I think UK is also part of the world.
Same in the middle east too. If I am at an intersection and there is another car coming towards me, if I flash lights, it means they have the right to move and I wait.

In India it's the other way though.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed