Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2014, 11:39   #8431
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
The low beam projector must be having halogen bulb. In such case you can change it to HID with kit and the lighting will improve. For the high beam you can have NB unlimited or Philips XV.
The manual is silent on the bulb classification. I am confused, since there are too many types of bulbs available. H1, H4, H7, etc.
Which one should I go in for?
Old 23rd August 2014, 13:02   #8432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
The manual is silent on the bulb classification. I am confused, since there are too many types of bulbs available. H1, H4, H7, etc.
Which car do you want them for?
Old 23rd August 2014, 13:19   #8433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since you have dual lamps for low and high beam, it is definitely not H4.
One way to check the bulb type is to take out the bulb and everything would be written on the base of the bulb. You can also check the specifications from the ASS or take your car to the accessories shop.

Most probably the low beam would be H7.
Old 23rd August 2014, 13:30   #8434
BANNED

Quote:
Take a look at the spare bulbs. All will be revealed.
Old 23rd August 2014, 13:50   #8435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Which car do you want them for?
Skoda Rapid

Quote:
Since you have dual lamps for low and high beam, it is definitely not H4.
One way to check the bulb type is to take out the bulb and everything would be written on the base of the bulb. You can also check the specifications from the ASS or take your car to the accessories shop.

Most probably the low beam would be H7.
The manual is for the single headlight.

And I wish to go for an online purchase and change the bulbs myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Take a look at the spare bulbs. All will be revealed.
The spare bulb kit was not provided.
Old 23rd August 2014, 16:43   #8436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The manual is for the single headlight.

And I wish to go for an online purchase and change the bulbs myself.

The spare bulb kit was not provided.
Now, since you've closed all the ways to check the bulb specification, without actually taking the bulbs out, the only option may be to get your hands dirty, open up the rubber caps behind the headlamp assembly and extract the bulbs all by yourself.

You can purchase the high beam ones and change it yourself, but for the HID bulbs with HID kits I would surely prefer a reputed accessory store. Do stay away from the cheap chinese variety for the HID and kit.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 16:57   #8437
BHPian

Quote:
Now, since you've closed all the ways to check the bulb specification, without actually taking the bulbs out, the only option may be to get your hands dirty, open up the rubber caps behind the headlamp assembly and extract the bulbs all by yourself.

You can purchase the high beam ones and change it yourself, but for the HID bulbs with HID kits I would surely prefer a reputed accessory store. Do stay away from the cheap chinese variety for the HID and kit.
Actually, I was thinking if I had the nos of the high beam bulbs atleast, I would have to open up the assembly just once, but I suppose, it will have to be twice now.

Thanks a ton anyways.
Old 23rd August 2014, 21:50   #8438
BHPian

Quote:
No question of burning the reflectors with Philips XV, but these bulbs have a shorter life than normal halogens. So you may keep a spare set in case you travel out of town and do night driving.
Oh, the mechanic at the MASS said you wont have to worry for atleast 2 years! But yeah, I trust TBHP more than the mechanic! Spare set is a sure thing.

Thanks Sommos!
Old 24th August 2014, 03:08   #8439
BHPian

Quote:

If u look carefully on the headlight u can see H4 and the fog are H7.

Also for removing bulb there is a video on youtube for some other car but it is similar to the rapid.
Old 24th August 2014, 09:33   #8440
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post
I will be surprised if they are using H4 in a twin headlight setup. H4 is double filament. HB4 may be mistaken as H4. I checked my Civic has HB4 (9006) 51W on low beam, and HB3 (9005) 60W on High.
Old 24th August 2014, 10:37   #8441
BHPian

Quote:

Also for removing bulb there is a video on Youtube for some other car but it is similar to the rapid.
Quote:
I will be surprised if they are using H4 in a twin headlight setup. H4 is double filament. HB4 may be mistaken as H4. I checked my Civic has HB4 (9006) 51W on low beam, and HB3 (9005) 60W on High.
Exactly.

searched the net, found out the following. THough needs to be checked in the Indian context.

Front
front DRL H15
front side markers T10 W5W
turn light (signal light) BAU15S PY21W (offset pins)
Front low beam H7
Front high beam H15 (integrated with DRL function which is 15W. High beam is 55W)

Rear
turn light (signal light) BAU15S PY21W (offset pins)
Rear light/break P21/4W (P21/5W can be modified to fit)
Rear reversing P21W

Rear plate
T10 W5W

Interior dome lights
T10 W5W

Trunk light
T10 W5W

Courtesy: Briskoda.

BTW. Another question cropped up in my mind. Since the low beam is a projector halogen setup, can xenon/HID be used? asking since I have just got back my vRS from the person whom I sold it to, six months back. He had got this P8HID Xenon conversion kit fitted into the high beam, and I have to get the halogen lights back into the high beams, so will be getting the kit off the vRS.

If that is a probability, a good kit will be saved from being wasted.
Old 24th August 2014, 20:28   #8442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also for removing bulb there is a video on Youtube for some other car but it is similar to the rapid.
Quote:
The H4 bulb was in the initial model of Rapid, when the projector setup was not there.

Quote:
BTW. Another question cropped up in my mind. Since the low beam is a projector halogen setup, can xenon/HID be used? asking since I have just got back my vRS from the person whom I sold it to, six months back. He had got this P8HID Xenon conversion kit fitted into the high beam, and I have to get the halogen lights back into the high beams, so will be getting the kit off the vRS.

If that is a probability, a good kit will be saved from being wasted.
I have already mentioned fitting HID in the low beam, I thought you had no confusion about it.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 20:55   #8443
Senior - BHPian

I'm going to replace all the turn signals and tail light bulbs with super bright led's.
Old 25th August 2014, 01:05   #8444
Senior - BHPian

Ayudar!

Thinking to install a pair of additional lights for my Accent. Being lived in Ooty all my life, considering a decent pair of auxiliary lamps, and Tbhp has been nothing but invaluable in giving me insights and what not.

I've seen Denji, Hella and NEOLITE here in Ooty in some of the vehicles, but I really loved the Denji, yellow one if I my memory serves me right, looked super awesome on a Gypsy, and that was the first and last sight of it, and all else, I get a glimpse of Neolite stuff, which is good but did't have a liking for it deep down.

Hella has always been my favorite, and this is my first auxiliary lamp setup, haven't experienced any in car experience of all the above I've mentioned, Autopal? You betcher!

The main reason I'm thinking to upgrade is to blind every single one in front of me just kidding.

Ooty often gets pretty worse on rainy days, and me and dad usually always travel at around the prime time returning from work, and I was never really satisfied with the stock setup, and I am a big disser of the Hight Beam err... hillbillies and you have numerous HBs with HBs which is a real pain in the posterior, no dim/dip works with us, you see, we're high up in the mountains, we just shine like stars. Phew!

So, considering two upgrades at one time, one is which is a better suited bulb for my Accent, I prefer 5000k or white light, preferably for the headlight. Hella, Philips and Osram NB, any insights on this would be helpful

And for the auxiliary setup, considering the Hella Rallye 700FF Driving Lamp, and I got an excellent review here from jeepster for the same, which I exactly zeroed in on before Googling for a review. Also would there be any significiant drain on the battery and can the stock battery handle the extra drain load w.r.t the alternator charging amp? Insufficient CCA is the least one you would expect early morning, at least where I live.

Your inputs would help this redneck survive some HBs.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 25th August 2014 at 01:18.
Old 25th August 2014, 12:22   #8445
BHPian

Quote:
I have already mentioned fitting HID in the low beam, I thought you had no confusion about it.
I had noted that suggestion of yours.

However, firstly I do not know a thing about lighting, and secondly I am averse to fiddling with the stock wiring in a car, more so, in a skoda.

If the 'P8 HID xenon' can be fitted to the stock harness in the rapid, that is the way to go for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks