Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2017, 10:17   #10381
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysakh View Post
Looking to upgrade the headlights for my 2010 Fiesta. It's currently in stock form. The low beam is sufficient for the city, but the high beam is inadequate for the highways. Any suggestions?
I have been using Osarm NightBreaker for over a decade in my various cars and they are good for highways. This is what pixantz and drhoneycake say too.

But if you want something brighter and if you do a lot of long distance night driving, then you need auxiliary lights. That is the reason I opted for LED Lightbar. Many pundits advise that such lightbars are ideally fitted at the highest point in the car but it may not be legal in our country. So you would be advised to fit them below the headlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post

THEY ARE MEANT TO BE USED IF YOU ARE OKAY WITH THE BRIGHTNESS BUT WANT A LONGER AND/OR WIDER THROW TO YOUR CURRENT HEADLIGHT BEAM!
Which one may consider to be safer or better than stock. That's not all. Other than this, one more important reason to the higher cost is that these lamps are made of better, more rigid, more higher quality than normal materials so that they give out a whiter-than-normal tone(which most think is super brightness,which it is not) and they don't conk off as easily as your normal poor-mans' bulb.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 12:40   #10382
BHPian

Has anyone installed the LED headlight for Ford Ecosport from Xenonplanet?

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-ecosport.jpg

If yes, please share some light on it's performance and reliability.
Old 29th March 2017, 12:41   #10383
BHPian

Hi,

Sorry if this has been discussed in the thread earlier, but I scrolled back about 20 pages and could not find an answer to my query. Hence, here it goes---

My 2015 VX City has been running on stock bulbs since purchase and they have always seemed weak. However, a recent run on the highway during night time made me realise just how pathetic they are. Low beam is completely useless, and high beam is just about ok.

My question- what is best upgrade that the knowledgeable folks on this forum would recommend? I don't really care about LED or DRLs, just would like the beam throw enough light for highway runs.

My primary concerns are- (1) Car is still in warranty, and will be for next couple of years. Would like a solution that does not affect that. (2) I read on some of the previous pages how increasing the wattage resulted in increased heat and reflectors were damaged because of that (not City, some other car). Would like to avoid that and similar such potential damages.

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

Last edited by Vitalstatistiks : 29th March 2017 at 12:44.
Old 29th March 2017, 12:49   #10384
BHPian

Well your best bet is to put in a relay and upgrade to higher wattage bulbs,in my opinion i found phillips rallye to have the best output and i am very happy with the light output for night drives.

You could also look at other bulbs such as night breakers/vision plus etc, i haven't used these so cannot comment from personal usage,however the phillips rallye work great for me,i am using hella wiring harness along with rallye 100/90bulbs. Haven't had any issue in my reflectors,please do check about honda city however.
Old 29th March 2017, 12:53   #10385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post

My 2015 VX City has been running on stock bulbs... about ok.

My primary concerns are- (1) Car is still in warranty, and will be for next couple of years. Would like a solution that does not affect that. (2) I read on some of the previous pages how increasing the wattage resulted in increased heat and reflectors were damaged because of that (not City, some other car). Would like to avoid that and similar such potential damages.
Not sure which bulbs Honda City uses for low beam and high beam. You can try Philips Xtreme Vision + of similar watt. Its simple plug and play. No need of wiring kit like the one needed with higher watt bulbs.

That said, I am running 90/100w H4 bulbs in my Swift and there is no reflector damage till date. Have done highway trips too where a lot of high beam was used. My swift is still under warranty.

But the best solution would be bulbs like these. Note that I am not sure which bulbs City has, the link is of H7 bulb. Verify the bulbs in your car, the manual shall have it. Then search around. The imporvement with Philips Xtreme vision might not be huge, but definitely better than stock.
I had good experience with Ring Automotive bulbs too.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 29th March 2017 at 12:55.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 13:15   #10386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Brief introduction: ...I just bought a 126 W CREE LED lightbar online. It is almost 24 inch wide. I have a problem - How do I fit that without using a nudge guard ? The unit is heavy - about 1.8 kilogram.
If I fit that using some jugaad before the radiator, will it affect the cooling of the AC ?

Have you tried/thought an option of fitting it in the bottom-most air vent of the bumper between the fog lights. It has enough space there.
You might have to remove the existing grill & may have to provide some extra support to it to avoid vibrations. This should probably cover all aspects including being legal & under the level of headlight.

Regards,
Saurabh

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 29th March 2017 at 13:18.
saurabh2711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 18:48   #10387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
Have you tried/thought an option of fitting it in the bottom-most air vent of the bumper between the fog lights. It has enough space there.
You might have to remove the existing grill & may have to provide some extra support to it to avoid vibrations.
Thanks Saurabh. I measured the nearest chassis member to the bottom-most air vent and it comes to nearly 27 inches. Unless the brackets are thick, it will result in undue vibrations. Actually the easiest way is to fit it under the bumper, but it will get hit by stones and water splashes. The CREE lightbar has IP67 rating. But I don't want to tempt my fate.
Old 29th March 2017, 20:36   #10388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron91 View Post
Has anyone installed the LED headlight for Ford Ecosport from Xenonplanet?

If yes, please share some light on it's performance and reliability.
I spoke to Rajat from Xenonplanet and he advised against them if performance is top priority. I'm sure they wont beat a good retrofit and are mostly to add bling than performance.

I own an Ecosport too and have my eyes on the bi-xenon XP micros. Its a safe bet if you don't wish to fiddle with your stock headlight setup.
k.sumit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 18:34   #10389
BHPian

Hi friends,

Query:
I see two popular brands of wiring harness with relay: Philips 130/100 and Hella 130/100. Does one have any particular benefit or high reviews ?
I feel of buying the Hella kit.
Anyways, I will be using the Philips Rally 90/100 bulbs, and higher watt wiring kit is just for added safety.

regards,
Pranav
Old 3rd April 2017, 20:33   #10390
BHPian

You just have to be sure that the gauge of the wires and overall build quality of the connectors/fuses/holders etc are good. The fuse sockets should have good thick metal inside or else they get corroded/loose connection issues pretty soon.AFAIK there are no real reputed brands like Hella etc selling wiring harnesses in India. All or most of them are local or Chinese guys going on and stamping whatever brand name they fancy.

Also there are more spurious "Hella" stuff than there ever was the real thing, be it wires or bulbs or horns or whatever. Ditto with other brands like Philips etc. So the only stuff at best you can be sure of as a brand are the bulbs. I'm not saying they are foolproof as these also are found duplicate in abundance but chances of getting the real thing where bulbs are concerned is a lot more easier.

Last edited by pixantz : 3rd April 2017 at 20:35.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 00:55   #10391
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
I see two popular brands of wiring harness with relay: Philips 130/100 and Hella 130/100. Does one have any particular benefit or high reviews ?
I have been using Hella 130/90 Rally bulbs with relay in my Grand i10 since last few months. The difference in output compared to stock is significant. I think 100/90 is adequate and lesser heat. It would be good if you get hold of a ceramic bulb holder too. I have posted the video link of 130/90 output on this thread few weeks back.
Old 4th April 2017, 11:25   #10392
BHPian

In my quest for better lighting especially for Highways, I started to look out for Headlamps upgrade for my 2015 Skoda Rapid. This model comes with projector lamps for low beam and a separate bulb for high beam, which is H7 bulbs. Couple of shops in JC road Bangalore said they can't put a relay as the H7 bulbs come with 2 pins unlike the common models which comes with 3 pins. Now I have found a shop near my house who showed me a relay, Eagle Eye brand and promised that he can upgrade the H7 bulbs to 100 watts using this relay setup which would be a plug and play without slicing any OEM wiring. He was also suggesting that the projector lamps which are H7 bulbs but with 60W can also be upgraded to 100W using the same relay with some wiring additions to relay.

I'm not sure what bulbs are in the projectors and I'm not fully convinced on modifying the projectors! For now thinking it is better only to upgrade the High beam bulbs - any suggestions on this would be highly appreciated!
Old 4th April 2017, 11:43   #10393
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post
I'm not sure what bulbs are in the projectors and I'm not fully convinced on modifying the projectors! For now thinking it is better only to upgrade the High beam bulbs - any suggestions on this would be highly appreciated!
Upgrading the bulb in the projectors to 100W may damage the reflectors in the projectors due to excess heat. Instead, upgrade the bulbs to Osram NB or Philips XV rated at the same 60W, but with a better light output.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 12:18   #10394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Upgrading the bulb in the projectors to 100W may damage the reflectors in the projectors due to excess heat. Instead, upgrade the bulbs to Osram NB or Philips XV rated at the same 60W, but with a better light output.
Thank you! If I were to upgrade the projectors, keeping the stock units, will changing the bulbs inside to a HID ballast kit with 4300K lighting be helpful? (no bling stuff, only to assist night driving) Any particular brands do you suggest?
Old 4th April 2017, 12:39   #10395
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post
Thank you! If I were to upgrade the projectors, keeping the stock units, will changing the bulbs inside to a HID ballast kit with 4300K lighting be helpful? (no bling stuff, only to assist night driving) Any particular brands do you suggest?
Do you mean to upgrade the projectors in the headlights or keep the projectors stock and just change the halogen bulb to HID?

Generally, a halogen projector is designed for the hotspot that is emitted by halogen bulbs. So, changing the bulbs to HID will not give you the same output as you would get from a HID bulb inside a HID projector.

But there will definitely be an improvement in light output compared to the halogen bulb.

Go for a 35W HID Kit at 4300K color temperature. That will give you the best light output. If you prefer a little whiter light, go for 4800K, but never above 5000K.

I do not have much experience with HID kits that replace halogen bulbs in halogen projectors. I hope others who have an experience with this will suggest you a good HID kit for this.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed