Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2017, 14:12   #10396
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Do you mean to upgrade the projectors in the headlights or keep the projectors stock and just change the halogen bulb to HID?
I meant, keeping the projectors but changing the bulbs inside it to HID. Thanks for the suggestions. Let me check the available options.
Mafioso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 16:28   #10397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
...AFAIK there are no real reputed brands like Hella etc selling wiring harnesses in India. All or most of them are local or Chinese guys going on and stamping whatever brand name they fancy.
Hella has a manufacturing and trading facility in India. From Hella India online shop: http://www.shop4hella.com/hella-head...s-90-100w.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post
This model comes with projector lamps for low beam and a separate bulb for high beam, which is H7 bulbs. Couple of shops in JC road Bangalore said they can't put a relay as the H7 bulbs come with 2 pins unlike the common models which comes with 3 pins. ...

I'm not sure what bulbs are in the projectors and I'm not fully convinced on modifying the projectors! For now thinking it is better only to upgrade the High beam bulbs - any suggestions on this would be highly appreciated!
Hella has this: http://www.shop4hella.com/products/r...g-harness.html

The type of bulb in your car will be specified in the user manual since this is meant to be user replaceable.

Be aware that some halogen projector headlamps have plastic bodies or lenses. Using higher power bulbs can melt them. If your car has plastic headlamp bodies, then your only option is to switch to Phillips xtreme vision or Osram night breaker bulbs.

Last edited by Motard_Blr : 4th April 2017 at 16:31.
Motard_Blr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 20:59   #10398

Hi
The low-beam bulb on the left-side headlight assembly of my Corolla Altis 2010 has burned out, and I'm trying to get this fixed. I believe this uses a D4R bulb. All the auto accessory shops I've checked in Chennai tells me this can be done only at Lanson. Lanson is quoting me Rs.12,600 for a single bulb, which I believe is pretty high.
I've tried checking online, and the Philips D4R seems to be retailing for Rs.3,500 odd. But I'm not sure where to get it installed once I buy it.
Does anybody know any reliable places in Chennai who can fix the bulb for me? Am okay to paying a bit more and buying the bulb also from them if they will do a good job.

On another note, can anyone suggest a good service centre on the South Chennai (Adyar, Taramani, OMR, ECR) side who does decent job on the Altis? I'm looking for a reliable place for general servicing and minor repairs/paint jobs.
Old 4th April 2017, 21:39   #10399
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abindaya View Post
Hi
The low-beam bulb on the left-side headlight assembly of my Corolla Altis 2010 has burned out, and I'm trying to get this fixed. I believe this uses a D4R bulb. All the auto accessory shops I've checked in Chennai tells me this can be done only at Lanson. Lanson is quoting me Rs.12,600 for a single bulb, which I believe is pretty high.
I've tried checking online, and the Philips D4R seems to be retailing for Rs.3,500 odd. But I'm not sure where to get it installed once I buy it.
Does anybody know any reliable places in Chennai who can fix the bulb for me? Am okay to paying a bit more and buying the bulb also from them if they will do a good job.

On another note, can anyone suggest a good service centre on the South Chennai (Adyar, Taramani, OMR, ECR) side who does decent job on the Altis? I'm looking for a reliable place for general servicing and minor repairs/paint jobs.

Welcome to the club. Take a look at my post on the same:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
• Then there's the xenon bulbs. The RHS HID bulb conked off and I got a shock when I found it was Rs.13,000 for just the bulb!

Ordered the exact same bulb from Amazon USA through member normally_crazy for a paltry USD $50 in comparison and did a DIY replacement of the bulb. Not easy and required moderate skill level to remove and fit the new bulb.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I replaced the bulb myself for the right side. Now the left one has also blown and I am ordering another one from USA.

Even though the D4R shows available on Philips India website they are not sold here. I have tried a lot.

The bulb can be replaced yourself but it is not at all easy. There is a high risk you break the old bulb when removing it or the new one when fitting it.

Since it was the first time I took more than 2 hours to change it as I wanted to be sure I don't break it. I also tried fitting back the old bulb safely before actually fitting the new bulb to make sure the new bulb doesnt break.

Left side I should be change under 30mins.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 09:39   #10400
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Go to Speed Motors run by Yahya Khan which is in Shastri nagar. He does a decent job, is knowledgeable and ready to do repairs and paint jobs.

The other option is Ignite Garage in Palavakkam and another one in ECR. They are a little more professional when it comes to technicians.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 10:04   #10401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Go to Speed Motors run by Yahya Khan which is in Shastri nagar. He does a decent job, is knowledgeable and ready to do repairs and paint jobs.

The other option is Ignite Garage in Palavakkam and another one in ECR. They are a little more professional when it comes to technicians.
Thanks... Will they also do the bulb-change job, if I'm able to get it from outside?
Old 5th April 2017, 11:22   #10402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Be aware that some halogen projector headlamps have plastic bodies or lenses. Using higher power bulbs can melt them. If your car has plastic headlamp bodies, then your only option is to switch to Phillips xtreme vision or Osram night breaker bulbs.
Thank you! I got the High beams changed to 100W along with the wiring ceramic holder and relay! While fixing this, the mechanic did show me that the projector lamps have metal body than plastic and he was suggesting I change it to 100W as well, but I didn't want to risk it and left it alone Never know with these Skoda cars and warranties
Mafioso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 16:47   #10403
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks... Will they also do the bulb-change job, if I'm able to get it from outside?
Sure. Speed Motors won't mind if you source parts from outside. Ignite Garage might - unless the part is a hard-to-get-locally type.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2017, 11:33   #10404
BHPian

Can anyone suggest where to get the Philips or Osram H4 HID kit in mumbai? Dealers are saying instead of HID philips is offering LED H4. Price was quoted 10.5k for LED bulbs
Old 11th April 2017, 20:52   #10405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
Can anyone suggest where to get the Philips or Osram H4 HID kit in mumbai? Dealers are saying instead of HID philips is offering LED H4. Price was quoted 10.5k for LED bulbs
Had visited Milan Subway few days back. Was quoted 12K for the same. Have a few questions:

1. Which car are you fitting these on?
2. Does your car have projectors?

Thanks,

BB
Old 11th April 2017, 23:24   #10406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Had visited Milan Subway few days back. Was quoted 12K for the same. Have a few questions:

1. Which car are you fitting these on?

2. Does your car have projectors?

Thanks,

BB

Hi
Were you quoted 12k for LEDs or HID kit

Planning to fit them on Yeti which uses h4 bulbs
And no i do not have projectors currently so i know it may not be a good idea to install HIDs in reflectors.
Old 12th April 2017, 17:07   #10407
BHPian

I have CIAZ ZDi+, found the low beam to be effective for city drives whilst the high beam on highways is pathetic, couldn't make much of difference in brightness nor throw on a highway between low beam and high beam.

Though I know the root cause is high beam halogen I wanted to see will switching the low beam to HID will make any significant improvement.
I checked about this with a local FNG and he sounded positive.
Gave me a quote of 5.7K for the below
HID Bulb - CN Light 4300K
AC Ballast - TCS / Crystal
Wattage - 55W
Chip - Canbus error free
Startup time: 0.5 seconds full glow
AC triple coat surge proof and 1 year replacement warrant.

PS - I don't want to upgrade the existing halogen high beam to Philips XV or Osram NB or to increase the wattage 90/100.

Cheers!
Old 13th April 2017, 17:57   #10408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I have been using Osarm NightBreaker for over a decade in my various cars and they are good for highways. This is what pixantz and drhoneycake say too.

But if you want something brighter and if you do a lot of long distance night driving, then you need auxiliary lights. That is the reason I opted for LED Lightbar. Many pundits advise that such lightbars are ideally fitted at the highest point in the car but it may not be legal in our country. So you would be advised to fit them below the headlights.
Thanks. Are the Osram nightbreakers the ones that produce the white light? Also, are they direct plug and play?

I had considered auxiliary lights, but my long distance night rides are rare, like once in 2 or 3 months and so rejected that idea.
Old 13th April 2017, 23:15   #10409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysakh View Post
Thanks. Are the Osram nightbreakers the ones that produce the white light? Also, are they direct plug and play?

Osram Nightbreakers are great bulbs, they offer quite a bit of improvement over stock halogens.

With regards to the colour, they aren't HID/LED white, but are slightly whiter than stock halogens.

Yes they are plug and play, find out your bulb type from your car's manual , get the same one and it's a direct swap.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
Old 14th April 2017, 20:55   #10410
Distinguished - BHPian

Current setup on my Celerio with LED fog/driving lights and Philips Xtremevision+ and they do a good job in various conditions. Was initially planning to get 100/90w main beam too but that would be overkill. Got a chance to test it in pitch darkness and here is the output :

Only DRL:
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imageuploadedbyteambhp1492183312.569331.jpg

Fog lights:
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imageuploadedbyteambhp1492183418.206608.jpg

Low beam with fog light:
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imageuploadedbyteambhp1492183450.790838.jpg

High beam with fog light:
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imageuploadedbyteambhp1492183500.611095.jpg
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks