Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2021, 18:47   #11986
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

My father owns a 1st generation Ciaz, and one of the projector's lamps have failed. He has also been thinking about getting LEDs for the same, and this gave him the excuse to do so.

He's looking to just replace the lamps, with no changes to the wiring/headlamp assembly. Is this possible, or will he have to get new wiring done as well (I've explicitly asked him not to get any wiring changes done after seeing all the cars on fire due to aftermarket modifications shorting).

Is there a specific brand and configuration of bulb he should be getting? And would it be cheaper to get the bulb and do the change himself, or get it done at some shop? (He's pretty nifty with tools and knows his way about mechanical stuff)
Old 13th January 2021, 18:58   #11987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukanta73 View Post
Will it not be a very odd configuration i.e; Led (white) in low beam and yellow in high beam?

Or any other suggestions like HID or relay?
Of course HID is a much better option and you can go for Osram DH7 4200K HID kit. This will be the best option for your projector lens low beams. The CCT mismatch between the halogens and the HIDs will also not be too much and does not look visually bad. Infact I have a similar combination on my Skoda Laura. I have 4200k h7 HID in my low beams (projectors) and normal halogens in my high beams and they work very well.

Last edited by Behemoth : 13th January 2021 at 19:01.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 19:51   #11988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukanta73 View Post
Or any other suggestions like HID or relay?
If you install an HID conversion kit upto 55W - no relay harness would be needed. Stock wiring will be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Of course HID is a much better option and you can go for Osram DH7 4200K HID kit. This will be the best option for your projector lens low beams. The CCT mismatch between the halogens and the HIDs will also not be too much and does not look visually bad. Infact I have a similar combination on my Skoda Laura. I have 4200k h7 HID in my low beams (projectors) and normal halogens in my high beams and they work very well.
Adding my 2 cents based on experience. I have used both - Osram 35W HID conversion kit & GS (sourced from Blaze) 55W HID conversion kit in the same projectors, with stock H7 setup. There is a world of difference in the light output & the 55W kit is far superior + cheaper in comparison. Both have the same 1 year standard warranty. Osram kit is made in China, GS kit at least has "Made in Taiwan" written everywhere on it.

So if one is going for a new replacement - I personally would suggest trying the GS kit via Blaze. 4300K is available in it, new stocks arrived just last week & couple of friends already ordered.

Last edited by Reinhard : 13th January 2021 at 19:52.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 00:50   #11989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderinNomad View Post
Well, It's definitely less than 300 hours. I had changed a bulb just a few days back and it failed yesterday. HID's and other expensive options are not an option in a 15-year-old car. But if your hypothesis is true, I can remove the entire 100/90 setup and can try going back to 60/55 bulbs.
However, I have been using such a setup for the past 10 years and have faced this issue only in the past 2-3 years. I have a hunch that there is some problem with the wiring. This problem was shown to several local mechanics who have tried their hands on different solutions. I would actually like to know the root cause of this issue to solve it in one go.
Guys any idea . Has anyone faced issues of repeated headlight bulb failure?
Old 14th January 2021, 10:43   #11990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderinNomad View Post
However, I have been using such a setup for the past 10 years and have faced this issue only in the past 2-3 years. I have a hunch that there is some problem with the wiring.
It is likely that your alternator cut out has become weak, and there is delay in operation, so you get momentary higher voltage when some load is reduced, ie Ac compressor clutch and condenser fan switch off.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 13:35   #11991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
If you install an HID conversion kit upto 55W - no relay harness would be needed. Stock wiring will be fine.

Adding my 2 cents based on experience. I have used both - Osram 35W HID conversion kit & GS (sourced from Blaze) 55W HID conversion kit in the same projectors, with stock H7 setup. There is a world of difference in the light output & the 55W kit is far superior + cheaper in comparison. Both have the same 1 year standard warranty. Osram kit is made in China, GS kit at least has "Made in Taiwan" written everywhere on it.

So if one is going for a new replacement - I personally would suggest trying the GS kit via Blaze. 4300K is available in it, new stocks arrived just last week & couple of friends already ordered.
Hi Reinhard,
Would like to know upon flashing the lights, if GS HIDs are faster to light up. Would this be a straight fit for XUV500 low beam projectors? My High beam usage is very rare and hence looking for a reliable Low beam upgrade.
Also could you share the current cost, if you got to know from friends.

- Thanks

Last edited by Twiny : 14th January 2021 at 13:37.
Old 14th January 2021, 15:20   #11992
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
Hi Reinhard,
Would like to know upon flashing the lights, if GS HIDs are faster to light up. Would this be a straight fit for XUV500 low beam projectors? My High beam usage is very rare and hence looking for a reliable Low beam upgrade.
Also could you share the current cost, if you got to know from friends.
All HIDs take more or less the same time to reach full intensity. The GS ones are slightly faster (maybe 1-2 seconds) compared to Osram that I had installed. But that's about it. Can even be the other way round if different sent of units is compared from same brand also. No HIDs can be instant ON like halogens or LEDs.

As for the installation in XUV5oo - what is the stock low beam bulb spec of your car? Is it H7 (typical for a dual barrel setup)? In that case - the conversion kit will be very easily available anywhere. Its currently available for around 4800 odd INR I think. Few hundreds here / there. I can PM you the Blaze contact if you want.

Keep in mind - for HID - the bulb and ballast is always the SAME. the only thing that may differ - is the coupler to connect into the existing headlamp's wiring pins. That's all.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 03:38   #11993
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,

I wanted to know if its possible to remove/replace the oem led bulb from a projector headlight that comes with the current generations of Swift and Dzire? Can HID be fitted in it?
Old 15th January 2021, 04:42   #11994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Hey guys,

I wanted to know if its possible to remove/replace the oem led bulb from a projector headlight that comes with the current generations of Swift and Dzire? Can HID be fitted in it?
Yes, of course it's possible. You could even fit a halogen bulb in.
Old 15th January 2021, 04:47   #11995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Yes, of course it's possible. You could even fit a halogen bulb in.
Thanks. Have you tried it or seen this done? I'd like to replace it with 4300k hid.
Old 15th January 2021, 05:00   #11996
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Have you tried it or seen this done? I'd like to replace it with 4300k hid.
I haven't personally done it myself, having never owned a Swift before. But I've seen plenty of examples rocking HIDs and LEDs, all of them aftermarket. For most cars equipped with projectors, any type of light should work provided there's enough space in the headlamp assembly (apart from a few other factors). In a popular car like the Swift, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Keep in mind though, you may need to cut the plastic (or rubber, my Skoda comes with rubber) headlamp dust caps to make the fans that cool the bulbs fit. Invest in good quality bulbs and make sure all the proper wiring work is done. Also, make sure that the ballasts are properly seated.

Last edited by TheHelix0202 : 15th January 2021 at 05:03. Reason: Fixing sentence
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 12:20   #11997
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

No, this is not possible. These modern projectors do not have removable bulbs and the LED is inbuilt inside the projector. You cannot fiddle with it.
shivamk11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 12:24   #11998
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'd recommend you to first open the rear dust cap of the headlamp - if its removable. Many modern LED headlamps tend to come in sealed units that are not serviceable parts & need a replacement in case of a failure.

I have no clue about how the unit is in the Baleno/Swift - but please do check personally once if the bulb is removable. Only after confirming this should you take the plunge to order an HID kit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivamk11 View Post
No, this is not possible. These modern projectors do not have removable bulbs and the LED is inbuilt inside the projector. You cannot fiddle with it.
Oops! Seems your reply was already posted while I was typing mine. Mine is redundant now.

Last edited by Reinhard : 15th January 2021 at 12:26.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 16:32   #11999
Senior - BHPian

Thanks I will check these headlights out at cst kurla market first and then see what to do.
Old 15th January 2021, 16:45   #12000
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks I will check these headlights out at cst kurla market first and then see what to do.
I checked in the Boodmo Catalogue - its 20K per side, only indicator bulb can be changed, otherwise sealed unit.

Link

See if an HID projector can be tucked in somewhere in the grille with small modifications to work alongside the headlamps.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks