Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2021, 15:25   #12031
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajkir80 View Post
Few people state that HID is not good for H4 set up and may cause issue in the long term.
Thats right. Since you'll use the same bulb for high-beam flashing also - HID life will be affected due to sudden ON-OFF cycles.
Also - its illegal to install aftermarket HIDs in reflector headlamps that are designed for halogen/LED bulbs. Given how bright they glow - you end up blinding oncoming traffic + inviting the cops instantly to penalize you.

The real solution that will give you good result - will be to install a newer headlamp unit with projector H7, and then use HIDs inside it. OR - get projector setup retrofit inside your existing headlamp.
No other upgrades will really make a significant difference. Especially white LEDs in the headlamp - will not give you the increased light you really want. Trust me - been there, done that in the past.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 12:52   #12032
BHPian

Does anyone have any experience with these - https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...0001419602426?

Looks quite interesting and possibly less scattering than just LEDs. I am using Philips Racing Vision at the moment and wouldn't mind something better//whiter.

Last edited by rayjaycleoful : 20th March 2021 at 13:04.
Old 21st March 2021, 09:54   #12033
BHPian

Guys I had mentioned about a frequent problem with my Honda city ZX a few posts back. Basically, the car has a Hella wiring harness, relay and 100/90 bulbs since the past couple of years. The 100/90 bulbs keep on failing repeatedly and I am forced to carry spares which I have learnt to change myself.
However, changing a bulb every month or changing them in a middle of a long highway drive is very frustating.
Many mechanics have tried various solutions such as changing the headlight holders, changing the relay and even changing the entire harness,relay and bulbs but the problem persists.

Yesterday, I have gone back to the 60/55 setup on the car's original wiring.
Now I need something to improve lighting on the highways to make up for the pathetic illumination.

Will a white LED bar serve my purpose.( example below )https://www.amazon.in/PR-Driving-Universal-Mahindra-2001-2007/dp/B07MR22PDY/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=led+bar&qid=161630049 9&sr=8-3

I need a budget friendly solution since I may have to change the car in the near future.
Old 21st March 2021, 10:03   #12034
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderinNomad View Post
Guys I had mentioned about a frequent problem with my Honda city ZX a few posts back. Basically, the car has a Hella wiring harness, relay and 100/90 bulbs since the past couple of years. The 100/90 bulbs keep on failing repeatedly and I am forced to carry spares which I have learnt to change myself.
However, changing a bulb every month or changing them in a middle of a long highway drive is very frustating.
Many mechanics have tried various solutions such as changing the headlight holders, changing the relay and even changing the entire harness,relay and bulbs but the problem persists.

Yesterday, I have gone back to the 60/55 setup on the car's original wiring.
Now I need something to improve lighting on the highways to make up for the pathetic illumination.

Will a white LED bar serve my purpose.( example below )https://www.amazon.in/PR-Driving-Universal-Mahindra-2001-2007/dp/B07MR22PDY/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=led+bar&qid=161630049 9&sr=8-3

I need a budget friendly solution since I may have to change the car in the near future.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I had similar 100/90 bulb with relay setup in my WagonR and the bulbs did fuse a couple of times, always the RHS. But that's 2 bulbs over a period of 5 years and not more.

You can try HID projectors in your fog lamp position. Some BHPians have tried this on Honda City among other cars and they are happy. Refer this thread for details:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...aze-india.html (iPHCAR Bi-Xenon Projector Foglamp upgrade (Blaze India))

The above setup keeps the stock looks of the car which means no questions from the traffic police.
Old 21st March 2021, 13:40   #12035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I had similar 100/90 bulb with relay setup in my WagonR and the bulbs did fuse a couple of times, always the RHS. But that's 2 bulbs over a period of 5 years and not more.

You can try HID projectors in your fog lamp position. Some BHPians have tried this on Honda City among other cars and they are happy. Refer this thread for details:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...aze-india.html (iPHCAR Bi-Xenon Projector Foglamp upgrade (Blaze India))

The above setup keeps the stock looks of the car which means no questions from the traffic police.
My car does not have fog lamps, can I buy generic foglamps enclosure from amazon and fit these. Examples are the ones below-

https://www.amazon.in/Autopearl-Light-Honda-City-ZXI/dp/B075RB9JKY/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=city%2Bzx%2Bfog%2Bla mps&qid=1616303112&replacementKeywords=zx%2Bfog%2B lamps&sr=8-12&vehicle=Honda%3ACity&th=1

Also, do projector foglamps generate a lot of heat ?
Since quality of these enclosures will not be good, will the enclosures be able to handle the heat.

Can an LED bar like the one below serve the same purpose ?

https://www.amazon.in/PR-Driving-Universal-Mahindra-2001-2007/dp/B07MR22PDY/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=led+bar+for+light&qid =1616314151&sr=8-6
Old 21st March 2021, 14:26   #12036
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My car does not have fog lamps, can I buy generic foglamps enclosure from amazon and fit these. Examples are the ones below-

Also, do projector foglamps generate a lot of heat ?
Since quality of these enclosures will not be good, will the enclosures be able to handle the heat.

Can an LED bar like the one below serve the same purpose ?
]
Sorry, I never realised yours is the previous generation City until I read your original post.

LED bars are of different types, spot light type and flood light type. Honestly, I haven't come across many users who were happy with these bars. Unless you go for expensive but well engineered ones from manufacturers like Hella. These cost 20-40k atleast. These cheaper ones have been a hit or a miss bet.

I would suggest two ways:

1. Go to a reputed electrician and get the headlight connection checked. Loose connections, earthing and fuse box are areas that I can think of. Since the 100/90 setup was working flawlessly for years until recently, I feel fixing the issue would be the cheaper and best solution.

2. Look for reputed installers who can create a custom setup in bumper and install HID projectors. In good hands, hole can be drilled in the bumper and these projectors can be installed. I have seen few installers create such housing and installation.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 15:36   #12037
BHPian

Quote:
The 100/90 bulbs keep on failing repeatedly and I am forced to carry spares which I have learnt to change myself.
This seems like a case of loose connection somewhere (maybe in the OEM setup). I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a loose grounding near the RHS.

1. Check the point where you are grounding both the terminals of the relay harness near the bulbs, is it properly grounded against bare and clean metal?

2. Since you have already replaced the aftermarket relay harness to no effect, check the inputs from OEM harness H4 socket to see if it is fitting snugly against the relay harness, or has any terminals loose

3. Do the battery terminals have oxidation/corrosion on them?

4. Check the contacts of the OEM headlamp fuse and relay in the engine fuse box for any debris/melting and if the contacts are clean and tight. If possible, try replacing the OEM fuses and relay and check.

And do share if one of these yields a result.
Old 21st March 2021, 23:45   #12038
BHPian

Hi,

Looking for some help and advise.

I'm planning to buy the new Tata Safari and had questions on the headlight upgrade. XZ/+ models comes with Xenon HID Projector Headlamps. From what I know, the low beam light is LED and high beam is halogen. How easy is it to replace the halogen with LED and also will it cause any issue with the traffic cops as it is not stock set up.

Consider me as a novice as I have been driving my Swfit Dzire 2011 model with Philips 100/90 all this while and never looked at the LED options.

Thanks in advance.

RNS
Old 22nd March 2021, 14:42   #12039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Does anyone have any experience with these - https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...0001419602426?

Looks quite interesting and possibly less scattering than just LEDs. I am using Philips Racing Vision at the moment and wouldn't mind something better//whiter.
BUMP

Any inputs? I'm very tempted to try it

TIA
Old 23rd March 2021, 00:03   #12040
BHPian

Do Xenon HID Bulbs degrade over time? Or is the output comparatively poorer to a Reflector setup, specially during driving inside the city. I am comparing a 35W Xenon Bulb with a 100/90W Reflector setup.
Old 23rd March 2021, 01:03   #12041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghunath Singh View Post
Hi,
From what I know, the low beam light is LED and high beam is halogen. How easy is it to replace the halogen with LED and also will it cause any issue with the traffic cops as it is not stock set up.
RNS
Low beam on the Harrier is HID, I don't think if Tata has changed that for the Safari. It is fairly easy to replace Halogens with LED but why would you want to do that. LED in a reflector setup will hamper your visibility and you will constantly encounter high beam / flashing from other motorists coming from the opposite ends because the reflector will scatter the light and cause excess glare for others. As it is, the existing high beam setup is quite good on the harrier/Safari and switching to LED will only make it worse for everyone, including you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Do Xenon HID Bulbs degrade over time? Or is the output comparatively poorer to a Reflector setup, specially during driving inside the city. I am comparing a 35W Xenon Bulb with a 100/90W Reflector setup.
HID bulbs do degrade over time but you get at least 3+ years of solid performance out of good brands.
If you're planning to install them in a reflector then I'd advise against it. Reflectors meant for halogens do not do justice to HID/LED. Plus the excess UV rays from these will tend to damage the reflector coating after some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
BUMP

Any inputs? I'm very tempted to try it

TIA
I don't think if projectors that tiny can do any good. Better to avoid and get a 100/90 Rallye setup from Philips/Osram
anantpoddar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 21:32   #12042
BHPian

I had decided that I could no longer live with the stock fiesta headlights, the low beam was of no use, despite a recent upgrade to Osram Halogens . I had done a bit of research and decided to go with Projectors and after reading reviews here, I placed my order with Blaze India.

When communicating with Blaze, there are 2 WhatsApp numbers, one managed by the owner Amit and the other by his sales team, after transferring the amount there was no response from the seller, for close to a week, I looked up other available numbers and reached out to Amit, who apologized and shipped the consignment the same day. I paid 7.5K for the Non-Canbus type.

These are all the components the Projectors ship with.

The 3 Inch Projector, were shipped with Bulbs inserted
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-projector.jpg

Harness to connect the HID to Car Fog Wiring
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-harness.jpg

Ballast
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-ballast.jpg

Zip ties - 2 Green Light ties and 4 white ties heavy duty for mounting the ballast
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-zip-ties.jpg

4 butterfly type bracket and 2 hanging type bracket.
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-hanging-bracket.jpg

I had been looking for an installer for some time, I was in Hubli and there were no installers with experience with projector Fog lights. I finally found a guy who said he had done it before and I went ahead with him. I had couple of assumptions

1. The Stock Fog lights bulbs are H3, I made a Piggy to hook up the HID kit to stock harness, I got 2 Uno Minda H11 Connectors
2. The Bracket set provided with the IPH car projector would work with my car, since I was told it was universal
3. The installed would do a decent job if I agree to pay him a bit more.

Uno Minda Connector

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-uno-minda.jpg

I did not want a jugaad of an install on my car and which is why I thought my research would avoid it. All 3 assumptions were proven wrong.

Install day –

1. Took my own electrical tapes, Switches to use on the car
2. Opening of the Ford bumper is a challenge, there are multiple nuts and bolts and screws all over the place, I would never have been able to open it at home

The Fiesta fog lights has 3 mounts, with 1 on the top and 2 at the bottom, we tried a few permutations to fit it, there was just no way to fit it. And all I could so was watch the installer do the jugaad I did not want to do. I do not blame the installer in any way, this was purely a result of my lack of proper research.

This is how it was mounted, I really hated it. I had to pay the installer and till I figure out a proper install, I can test out the systems.

The Stock Fog has 3 mounting points, 1 on top and 2 at bottom, the brackets shipped with the kit was not adaptable

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-attempt-1-bumper.jpg

Went back to the drawing board, made a adapter template using the stock Fog light brackets, triangulated the mounting points came up with the below.

I went back to YouTube and saw how this was installed in other cars, and not surprisingly, it was Jugaad in most, Maruti Swift and Ford Aspire can use the universal bracket

Went to a local fabricator who said, he could cut it, but the finish would not be great, I was looking around his shop and found a 16 gauge sheet metal plate, which I thought would make a good adapter base, paid 100 bucks for it.

Went looking for a Lazer cutting unit, I was told I would need a CAD file to give to the Lazer unit, luckily the shop made my template in Auto Cad and cut it for me, paid 70 Rs for it.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-laser-cut-adapter.jpg

I also went to the local hardware shop and purchased half inch nut and bolt with spring washer, I got 12 Nut, bolt and spring washers paid 42 Rs, I did not have an Allen key set, paid 210rs for a Taparia kit.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-nut-bolts.jpg

Once I had the adapter, I drilled holes to match the mounting points for the bumper and then for the Projectors.

Checking the fit.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-adapter-test-fit-1.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-adapter-test-fit-2.jpg

All painted, to protect it from rust.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-adapter-painted-fit-1.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-adapter-painted-fit-2.jpg

Removed Jugaad in hand

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-jugaad-hand-1.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-jugaad-hand-2.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-jugaad-hand-3.jpg

Attempt 2

Mounted it on the bumper, and wired it up.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-adapter-bumper-1.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-adapter-bumper-2.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-adapter-bumper-3.jpg

I am satisfied with the mounting, I can live with the wiring.
motorpsycho is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 14:55   #12043
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know if D2S Led bulbs are available in india with warranty?
Old 28th March 2021, 07:28   #12044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Does anyone know if D2S Led bulbs are available in india with warranty?
Yes.

https://autobahntechnologies.com/pro...kv-70w2-bulbs/

https://autobahntechnologies.com/pro...kv-35w2-bulbs/
Old 28th March 2021, 08:18   #12045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
I am satisfied with the mounting, I can live with the wiring.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Can you share the front picture and beam shots? Is the setup waterproof?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks