Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2020, 11:41   #1771
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

This Zard exhaust certainly looks the business. The product name is - Zard line high Inox Racing Royal Enfield Interceptor & GT 650. Price is only € 1,082.50 including tax! On the plus side, you do get weight savings of 11.9 kgs over the stock bike. Link.

It does remind me of the Royal Enfield 650 platform based scrambler that was displayed at EICMA.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-1360large_default.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-1358thickbox_default.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-1357large_default.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 13:32   #1772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
This Zard exhaust certainly looks the business. The product name is - Zard line high Inox Racing Royal Enfield Interceptor & GT 650. Price is only € 1,082.50 including tax! On the plus side, you do get weight savings of 11.9 kgs over the stock bike.
Way2Speed also has a Scrambler type exhaust for a lot less but the Zard ones look a lot better, the pricing though is absurd to say the least. The Vance & Hines exhaust costs less than this for the Triumph Street Scrambler!
CarManMotorcycl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 13:38   #1773
BHPian

Anyone has any idea regarding RE bringing in Alloy wheel option (tubeless setup)? They website mentions "Coming Soon" under Wheel customization section, but it's been few months already and there seems to be no update on that from RE. The current setup with tube tyres will be a pain to fix in case of punctures
Funny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 14:08   #1774
BHPian

Quote:
This Zard exhaust certainly looks the business. The product name is - Zard line high Inox Racing Royal Enfield Interceptor & GT 650. Price is only € 1,082.50 including tax! On the plus side, you do get weight savings of 11.9 kgs over the stock bike. Link.
Looks cool but the heat here will be terrible. I test rode the Triumph Scrambler which has similar exhaust and it gets searing hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Anyone has any idea regarding RE bringing in Alloy wheel option (tubeless setup)?
"The alloys are coming next month" - I have been hearing this from the service center for past 4 months
But seriously I have no idea what RE is doing. They announced alloy wheels back in June 2019. May be the first case of customer wanting to give money to a company and they just don't want it.
timuseravan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 16:29   #1775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post

My advice is, don''t try this "tubeless tire" trick on your motorcycle. Your life may be in the balance.
I fully agree with Jim on this. I would say it would be madness to try it on any motorcycle - even a piddle 50 cc moped.

But then each unto himself.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 17:25   #1776
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone here given “formula x” a shot?

Similar to slime but in gel form. Adheres to the tube instead of forming a puddle and having that “splosh” effect.

I did put it in my Impulse and didn’t find any perceptible issue with handling. I went for the SJOBA rally last week where I took the hike through some very gnarly off road terrain and had to munch quite a few road miles too (transport stages). No puncture. It’s not been long for me to speak with 100% confidence but so far so good
Urban_Nomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 19:35   #1777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Has anyone here given “formula x” a shot?

Similar to slime but in gel form. Adheres to the tube instead of forming a puddle and having that “splosh” effect.

I did put it in my Impulse and didn’t find any perceptible issue with handling. I went for the SJOBA rally last week where I took the hike through some very gnarly off road terrain and had to munch quite a few road miles too (transport stages). No puncture. It’s not been long for me to speak with 100% confidence but so far so good
sounds interesting, what is the outlay on it, and where can i find it?
Old 9th March 2020, 21:15   #1778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipmathen View Post
sounds interesting, what is the outlay on it, and where can i find it?
Not sure what outlay means here.

Its basically a gel that one pumps into the tyre tubes. I got it done at an authorized dealer in Gurgaon. The 100 bucks I paid for installation seemed well worth it. Not that it was tough, but looked tedious. But, anyone with a big ass syringe and plastic tubing can do it. Cost me 1400 total for both tyres

Post installation, I was asked to ride at a sedate 20-30 kmph for 5 kms or so (for the gel to coat the insides of the tube evenly)

In case you are DIY inclined, its available on Amazon. Else try reaching out to these guys to see if you have an authorized dealer in your locale

Hope this helps

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 9th March 2020 at 21:18.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 21:20   #1779
BHPian

Yeah meant to ask how much it set you back, thanks. Sound reasonable for a relative peace of mind I think. I’ll have a look around or will have to DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Not sure what outlay means here.

Its basically a gel that one pumps into the tyre tubes. I got it done at an authorized dealer in Gurgaon. The 100 bucks I paid for installation seemed well worth it. Not that it was tough, but looked tedious. But, anyone with a big ass syringe and plastic tubing can do it. Cost me 1400 total for both tyres
Amazon lists a number if bikes but the interceptor doesn’t appear in it. Guess I’ll have to wait for something else to come out, or maybe the manufacturer doesn’t realise the pent up demand among interceptor/gt owners.

I am surprised Enfield has not offered an OE wired alloy wheel. Get the feeling a lot of people would spend more money willingly if they can go tubeless.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-b3fa754fe00e40b2ba08828a6dae026b.jpeg

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to please read through the Forum Rules.

Last edited by vb-saan : 10th March 2020 at 08:15. Reason: Please see Mod Note above. Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 00:07   #1780
BHPian

To all those potential owners who are reading this thread to get an idea of the twins (interceptor and GT), do check out olx as well. There are many 650 owners who are selling their bikes just because they got bored or not suiting their styles or whatsoever the reason may be.

The bikes are in good condition as they are only an year old, you still have 2 years of warranty left for the extra peace of mind. Bargain and you'll be able to save around 50k on the current price, or maybe more

Just give a search on olx and you'll be surprised to see almost all in mint condition with full accessories as well. I regret buying a brand new now after looking at the used ones.
P.S. even our forum founder GTO advices to go 'the used route'
yesyeswe is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 06:11   #1781
BHPian

Will be getting the 5K service done next week. The bike has been fantastic for the last 2500 kilometers after RE updated the ECU.

Definitely changing the oil even though the recommended interval is 10K because it seems quite black in the viewing window. My clutch cable sleeve got burnt due to the clip holding it to the chassis near the right exhaust pipe coming loose, but it appears to be functioning fine. Wondering if I should install the fork gators, didn't opt for them earlier because I view them as a cosmetic upgrade and also didn't want anyone to disassemble the factory fitted forks.

One niggle I've been facing and not figured out is a sudden hardness at times in the front suspension, I end up feeling every single small bump in the road travelling up my arms for short stretches before it goes back to feeling normal again. Hopefully the SC should be able to sort it out.
adises is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 09:15   #1782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adises View Post
Will be getting the 5K service done next week. The bike has been fantastic for the last 2500 kilometers after RE updated the ECU.

Definitely changing the oil even though the recommended interval is 10K because it seems quite black in the viewing window. My clutch cable sleeve got burnt due to the clip holding it to the chassis near the right exhaust pipe coming loose, but it appears to be functioning fine. Wondering if I should install the fork gators, didn't opt for them earlier because I view them as a cosmetic upgrade and also didn't want anyone to disassemble the factory fitted forks.

One niggle I've been facing and not figured out is a sudden hardness at times in the front suspension, I end up feeling every single small bump in the road travelling up my arms for short stretches before it goes back to feeling normal again. Hopefully the SC should be able to sort it out.

1. What ECU update was this? I will be going for my 5k check-up, will ask then.

2. Clutch cable: The exact same thing happened to me as well. That clip is incredibly useless. But thankfully, zip-ties to the rescue. I have 4 zip-ties in groups of 2 holding the clutch cable in place. It ain't going anywhere now!
3. Fork gaitors: I had them installed because of the aesthetics and to protect the oil seals, but after reading a few people's thoughts here saying not to mess with the stock setting of the suspension, I kinda regretted having it done.
4. The front suspension is awful. SC won't do much. I am planning on upgrading the front fork oil to mitigate this. Long term I am also going to upgrade the springs and such.
ashishk29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 09:42   #1783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
1. What ECU update was this? I will be going for my 5k check-up, will ask then.

4. The front suspension is awful. SC won't do much. I am planning on upgrading the front fork oil to mitigate this. Long term I am also going to upgrade the springs and such.
Initially I was facing issues where the bike would start jerking and stalling in heavy traffic conditions. They kept the bike under observation and updated the ECU with a new map. They do it for all bikes whenever the bike comes for the next service / someone comes in with the issue.

I believe some people have been changing the grade of the front fork oil.
Will try that only if SC is unable to rectify the issue. On the whole I've had a very positive experience interacting with RE for this bike.
adises is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 01:35   #1784
BHPian

I completed one year of ownership. Done about 6k kms in one year. Change of work location reduced my commute miles from 7k kms a year to just 1k kms. So most of my 6k kms has come from weekend rides alone.

Overall I'm happy with the bike. Just swing a saddle bag over the seat, or tie up a backpack with bungee cords and off you go. As long as the road surface is good I totally enjoy riding this bike. Power delivery is more than sufficient for most use cases. On one of my usual routes there is a uphill curve. My Classic 350 used to struggle in 2nd gear, Classic 500 used to manage it in 3rd gear, and 650 accelerates in 4th gear!

Pillion discomfort is much talked about already. I just got a backrest for the pillion to avoid being thrown behind on even slight acceleration. My wife says the rides are now manageable.

Not much problem with the stock seat but planning to change to touring seat from RE. I have heard it's better than stock, and I like the looks of it. I don't like the looks of many aftermarket seats.

I'm planning to go for better engine oil despite the questions over void of warranty. I'm not planning on headlight upgrade or installation of Aux lights. Firstly I don't do much night rides, secondly I just hate the people who don't do judicious use of bright lights. They are nuisance and risk to other motorists.

RE branded chain lube is quite bad in my opinion. It becomes dark and greasy, catches too much grime, and splashes around too much. I'm looking for a better brand. Something like what they call as dry lube.

On highways with spirited overtaking but not exceeding 120 km/h I get a mileage of around 30kmpl. Happy with it.

And a note on the front suspension - like many others have pointed out it makes thud sound while going over bad roads. In my bike there is some noise even from the rear suspension/swingarm. I just plug my ears and ride on
One thing I don't like is the front suspension travel. Not only does it sound less on paper, practically the nose dive takes much of the travel. There is hardly anything left to actually absorb a shock.

Many issues to nitpick, but for under 3.5L on road this is a lot more than a bike one can ask for!
Biker Ram is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 09:05   #1785
BHPian

Quote:
This Zard exhaust certainly looks the business.
What is your opinion about "Atom" from Barrel Exhausts
https://www.barrelexhaust.com/produc...r-re-650-twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Ram View Post
I'm planning to go for better engine oil despite the questions over void of warranty. I'm not planning on headlight upgrade or installation of Aux lights.
I replaced stock Osram ones with Philips. I find it marginally better than the stocks. I am planning to change my Jazz headlamp bulb with these. Both my bike and car have same headlamp socket.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Even I'm planning to go for Motul 7100 at 5k. As interceptor does not have water cooled engines, extracting 10k kms from HP oil is too much. Heat from engine and transmission burns the oil faster than anticipated. RE should have designed a separate gear oil chamber for the 650. This way we could have used a higher grade oil ( 80W ) for gearbox and 10w-50 just for the engine block. The engine oil could have easily lasted 10k. Just like our car, the gear box oil could have also lasted 30-40k kms. I find the oil filter price of Interceptor too expensive and I still could not find any good after market filters that can fit the twins.

Last edited by rahulskumar : 13th March 2020 at 09:06.
rahulskumar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks