Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2013, 12:23   #1321
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
This maybe a long shot but doesn't the retro fitted speedometer of bhpian robi and prithwi look similar to the one that comes standard fitted in a jetta? If I'm right owners can save a few thousands by not using the expensive option from vagtune or Pete.

I've got nothing against vagtune or Pete just using our famous Indian jugaad way of saving doubloons!
No you cant. Jetta is a different meter cluster and has a different immo system. :-(. You cant order OEM parts directly from VAG, so it has to be thru an authorized dealer. Also your car dealer/service center cant order the part from VAG if its not part of the available catalog for the region (example- black armrest, deadpedal, Highline meter cluster etc). If you can find to locate a dealer internationally who can get you the part, then go for it as it will definitely be cheaper. But after sales support and installation will be your pain. Also 25-30% duty+shipping doesn't make this option as cheap as you think.

And I dont think Robi has the cluster. Sugesh @ Vagtune and I are the only ones with the cluster so far.
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 14:27   #1322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Could TSI owners clarify the use of Mineral oil in DSG'S in India?
Volkswagen Recalling Cars Globally to Fix DSG Gearboxes.
The solution VW has found is to change the synthetic oil in the DS200 automatic to a mineral one.
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/vo...xes-71053.html
Just called the VW customer care regarding this issue. They have confirmed that this problem exists for Indian customers also, and dealer would get back to us at the earliest.

Customer care executive also told me that dealer might take some more time to revert back as they need to procure the mineral oil. She has taken down my details(e.g. VIN, dealer details etc.).
shetty_rohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 16:50   #1323
BHPian

This is the reply that after sending 4th reminder in 10 days.
============================
Dear Mr. Khurana,

Good Evening!!

We would like to inform you that the pricing for the extended warranty for the Polo GT TSI is still awaited from the insurance company.

The same has not been released as yet.

Kind Regards,

Customer Care - Sales

Volkswagen Passenger Cars, India
sahilkhurana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 17:25   #1324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Just called the VW customer care regarding this issue. They have confirmed that this problem exists for Indian customers also, and dealer would get back to us at the earliest.

Customer care executive also told me that dealer might take some more time to revert back as they need to procure the mineral oil. She has taken down my details(e.g. VIN, dealer details etc.).
Confirmed. Spoke to customer care and was specifically told that the fix of changing synthetic oil to mineral oil will be done for GT TSI.
sahilkhurana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 19:47   #1325
BHPian

Hi guys. Had a blast this weekend. A total of 1100 kms. Am really at loss for words. The GT is just awesome. It just cruises ahead in the highways without much sweat. Overtaking is a piece of cake. The primacy 3 ST shoes really showed itself with excellent noiseless ride. So the breakup of my journey...

chennai-erode...400 kms. Fully laid 4 way highway. speed of 90 to 100. MID mileage of 17 km/l.

erode-palladam-erode...180 kms. Good 2 way state highway. speed of 70-90. MID showed 18.5 km/l.

A total of 700 kms with remaining 120 kms in city traffic gave a mileage of 14.5 km/l on tankful to tankful method.

erode-chennai...400 kms. Fully laid 4 way highway. speed of 100 to 120. MID mileage of 16 km/l.

Am really glad that i came over all the persuasion from family and friends not to go for a petrol hatch for a million rupees. And thanks to all the senior GT TSI owners here for keeping me focused on the GT.
drpudhi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 23:25   #1326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
And I dont think Robi has the cluster. Sugesh @ Vagtune and I are the only ones with the cluster so far.
Well actually I do have it. Its the normal maxidot but with no coolant sensor error. I haven't updated the thread yet.

Moreover, there are around 8 Polo's down south with cluster upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-photo24.jpg  

Old 21st November 2013, 15:59   #1327
Distinguished - BHPian

Regarding the cluster - I too hate the stock red display. But is it possible to simply change the backlight from red to white? Or cluster change is the only option?
@Robin, are you saying you got a cluster that does not need coolant sensor connection?

BTW, does Polo GT TSi come with bad road package like the Laura. Is the engine compartment fully protected by a guard?
Old 21st November 2013, 16:21   #1328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
BTW, does Polo GT TSi come with bad road package like the Laura. Is the engine compartment fully protected by a guard?
No, Polo GT TSi does not come with the bad road package. Even the manual says that it is better to install the metal under body protector(to protect engine and the transmission), which could be bought as an accessory. I guess this is called as sump guard(but not 100% sure).

I have written to the dealer regarding the under body protection. Will let you know once the dealer gets back regarding this.
shetty_rohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 23:09   #1329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post

I have written to the dealer regarding the under body protection. Will let you know once the dealer gets back regarding this.
Great. Please do let me know if it's available and part number, etc.
Old 22nd November 2013, 00:20   #1330
BHPian

I was interested in buying a Polo GT TSI but have backed down mainly because a friend has some issues with his DSG box. I had inquired about under body protection and a touchscreen music system from the dealer and after several follow ups the part number for the under body is still not known but the touchscreen system part number is 1003340012046434342151.
Brishti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 21:51   #1331
BHPian

Finally booked the worthy successor to my 4 year old Ford Fiesta 1.6, Polo GT TSI at Volkswagen Deccan - Mody. Same people from whom I had bought my Fiesta earlier. They are saying a wait period of 4 weeks, lets hope it stays that. After several test drives across segments from B+ to D to XUV, millions of thoughts, thousands of second thoughts and hundreds of hours of debate later took the plunge. However, having eliminated Vento TSi vs Polo TSI (GT) question in my heart, mind still keeps poking me once a day, when I see a Vento (especially in that Shadow Blue) on a road, or a colleague's comment "you are moving from Sedan to a Hatchback". All I say to myself "Samajh ne waale samjh gaye, jo na samjhe woh anari hain"
Old 25th November 2013, 00:06   #1332
BHPian

BMW guys were at our society today, offering test drives for 1 series, X1 and Mini. Took a long test drive of 118d just to see if thats the next destination after Polo GT TSI, and was disappointed. No doubt the power is considerably more and the push into the seat is too addictive. Special mention to the breaks, I had to hit emergency breaks when cattle suddenly came running from one side and had a tractor on the other, while driving at 120 kmph. No skid, no jerk- a calm stop as if there was no emergency at all. The steering is not light, may be a little heavy for regular city use but with great feedback and weighs up nicely as you speed. However, the transmission didn't feel as smooth as the DSG, I was hoping that the 8 speed steptronic would be better. There is prominent lag between when you press the pedal and take off, which I did not find with the DSG. I was not very sure of close overtaking on a 2 lane highway on 118d, whereas with DSG there were never two thoughts. This lag was considerably more in x1, probably due to additional weight. So ruled that one out immediately, with 36 L OTR in X1 is definitely not my dream, and SA concurred. The same road in which I was comfortable doing 160 kmph on Polo GT TSI, I was barely crossing 120 kmph on 118d. More importantly, the suspension on 118d was stiff, and could count all the undulations and bumps on the road, but with GT TSI it was smooth. The SA was pushing the 3 series though, and said that's much better as an overall package. I am getting to a position to acknowledge that this side of 3 series having driven most of them, Polo GT TSI is the best practical drivers car in India. Just for information 118d OTR is 28 L for base variant at Hyderabad,and Polo GT TSI 9.4 L.
jha.shailesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 18:53   #1333
BHPian

Update on the DSG recall:
Called SA to understand when are cars going to be called for the change. He told that VW team is visiting them this weekend to demonstrate the process. Post that customers will be intimated by VW.
sahilkhurana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 19:12   #1334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jha.shailesh View Post
BMW guys were at our society today, offering test drives for 1 series, X1 and Mini. Took a long test drive of 118d just to see if thats the next destination after Polo GT TSI, and was disappointed. No doubt the power is considerably more and the push into the seat is too addictive. Special mention to the breaks, I had to hit emergency breaks when cattle suddenly came running from one side and had a tractor on the other, while driving at 120 kmph. No skid, no jerk- a calm stop as if there was no emergency at all. The steering is not light, may be a little heavy for regular city use but with great feedback and weighs up nicely as you speed. However, the transmission didn't feel as smooth as the DSG, I was hoping that the 8 speed steptronic would be better. There is prominent lag between when you press the pedal and take off, which I did not find with the DSG. I was not very sure of close overtaking on a 2 lane highway on 118d, whereas with DSG there were never two thoughts. This lag was considerably more in x1, probably due to additional weight. So ruled that one out immediately, with 36 L OTR in X1 is definitely not my dream, and SA concurred. The same road in which I was comfortable doing 160 kmph on Polo GT TSI, I was barely crossing 120 kmph on 118d. More importantly, the suspension on 118d was stiff, and could count all the undulations and bumps on the road, but with GT TSI it was smooth. The SA was pushing the 3 series though, and said that's much better as an overall package. I am getting to a position to acknowledge that this side of 3 series having driven most of them, Polo GT TSI is the best practical drivers car in India. Just for information 118d OTR is 28 L for base variant at Hyderabad,and Polo GT TSI 9.4 L.
No doubt the Polo TSI is far, far more VFM than the 1 series or X1. But I find the above untrue. The X1 and the 1 series in stock form will smoke a Polo tsi be it in terms of acceleration, dynamics, or braking. One reason you may have felt the lag is because the Bimmers accelerators are a bit less sensitive in the first quarter of their range, and also the cars may have been in eco pro mode. Had you shifted to sport you would have seen a big difference. The 8 speed ZF is actually much better than the DSG when it comes to downshifts, it shifts instantly whereas the DSG hesitates sometimes.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 19:40   #1335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
No doubt the Polo TSI is far, far more VFM than the 1 series or X1. But I find the above untrue. The X1 and the 1 series in stock form will smoke a Polo tsi be it in terms of acceleration, dynamics, or braking. One reason you may have felt the lag is because the Bimmers accelerators are a bit less sensitive in the first quarter of their range, and also the cars may have been in eco pro mode. Had you shifted to sport you would have seen a big difference. The 8 speed ZF is actually much better than the DSG when it comes to downshifts, it shifts instantly whereas the DSG hesitates sometimes.
0-100 for 118d is 8.9 seconds and that for Polo GT TSI is 9.7, sub-second difference not really very smoky, is it? Broadly, we are saying the same thing - power, steering, safety and braking are good for 118d or rather live up to the expectations of a 30L car.

But, suspension and transmission leave something to be desired. I drove in both Eco pro and sports mode, and my observations above were while comparing ecopro with D mode of DSG, and yes the lag seemed more prominent in118, it could be delayed diesel affect or what you've mentioned above, but after that the push in the seat is something we aspire for. I think someone also mentioned, probably Prithwi, similar observations about the suspension of 3 series when having a run with gt tsi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks