Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2014, 22:17   #8296
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkarthikkeyan View Post
Folks, my friend is planning to upgrade his ecosport headlight with 90/100 Philips XV with relay. any problems/drawback or anything to watch out using the same. did anyone upgraded their lights? pls provide your feedback.
I am of the opinion that complexity multiplied by 2 is more complexity.

The issue is not with the bulbs, it is with the reflector design.

Tdci users, have you listened to your engine after it is switched off? I am able to hear 4 or 5 cuckoo calling sounds, which i presume is related to EGR.
Old 2nd December 2014, 10:07   #8297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Yes - according to the person/s who uploaded the video, it is a 2wd version.
So - WOW!! Makes me feel good about my 'hatch on stilts' as it has been described so often.
Pity it is not in English - would have been interesting to get the gist of what they said.
Well people can call it whatever they want. But the fact is not going to change.
200MM GC, Short wheelbase, Stiff suspension makes it pretty good for soft roading. I have tried it myself though not to the extent in video.
It was in Chikamagalore, the road(actually no road) connecting Baba budangiri and Kemmangundi. Its around 30KM stretch and took me cool 2 hrs. In the entire journey other than a forest dept. Jeep and a private Jeep i did not encounter any vehicles. We all were took by surprise by the capability and termed Ecosport as "Mini Jeep" without 4x4. It was a good decesion that we did not take our Innova or Vento.

I have driven Scorpio,Xylo,Innova,Omni, a lot of sedans and hatchback. All have failed the "Zero bottom hit Test". Ecosport is the only vehicle that i drove has come out clean so far . Mahindra Major is another one.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 11:37   #8298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I have tried it myself though not to the extent in video.
It was in Chikamagalore, the road(actually no road) connecting Baba budangiri and Kemmangundi. Its around 30KM stretch and took me cool 2 hrs. In the entire journey other than a forest dept. Jeep and a private Jeep i did not encounter any vehicles. We all were took by surprise by the capability and termed Ecosport as "Mini Jeep" without 4x4. It was a good decesion that we did not take our Innova or Vento.
Tell me (I'm curious) - on Google, Bababudangiri to Kemmanugundi shows a distance of 79.1 kms - with a time of 2 hrs and 25 mins - via State Highway 57. Obviously the route taken by you was a different one - possibly a kind of jungle track? Any pics of your drive? Would be most interesting.
Old 2nd December 2014, 12:32   #8299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Tell me (I'm curious) - on Google, Bababudangiri to Kemmanugundi shows a distance of 79.1 kms - with a time of 2 hrs and 25 mins - via State Highway 57. Obviously the route taken by you was a different one - possibly a kind of jungle track? Any pics of your drive? Would be most interesting.
There are actually two routes. one was pretty longer seeing which we deicide to cancel visiting Kemmanu Gundi. The shorter route goes through dense forest and Barren mountains. Absolutely nothing can be found in case of emergency. No Mobile signal as well. As i said in entire strech only two Jeeps were spotted. It does go and join top of Kemmanu gundi. Was almost half the distance compared to normal route.
There was a check post as we approached Kemmannu gundi and security personnel thoroughly checked car and asked us why did we take this route.

I had a video of the road but unable to find the same. The picture below were taken in the best stretch of the road. In the inital you get barren mountain ranges like Datta peetha post which you will go through dense forest. Hardly any sunlight.
I remember slotting to 3rd gear only once in the entire strech

Ofcourse this road is not something that would need a 4x4 in summer but in rainy season it will get slippery.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-t1.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-t2.jpg  

Last edited by PrideRed : 2nd December 2014 at 12:38.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 14:19   #8300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=VsnqizeRcX4

Found this video of a little off road adventure in Ecosport (watch after 3:00) Sorry, its not in english but was surprised to see what this little suv is capable off (maybe its the awd version) Yesterday, i had to rush my dog to the vet as he was serious and we were stuck in a huge traffic jam, turned the steering to full left, made full use of the 200 MM ground clearance as the car comfortable jumped a huge full sized divider, hopped into the service lane and took an alternate route while other cars watched in awe
Guys it is pretty obvious that this model is a 4x4 looking at its driving behaviour. Notice the wheels when encountering a slope or a ditch.
Also look at the video at 2:50 min mark. It says Ecosport in 4x4.
Sorry to spoil the awesome feeling about our Ecoports.
sidenzo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 21:35   #8301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidenzo View Post
Guys it is pretty obvious that this model is a 4x4 looking at its driving behaviour. Notice the wheels when encountering a slope or a ditch.
Also look at the video at 2:50 min mark. It says Ecosport in 4x4.
Sorry to spoil the awesome feeling about our Ecoports.
I doubt. First in the introduction it is shown as 1.0 Ecoboost. AFAIK 4x4 is available only in 2.0 L version.
There is no badging of 4x4 in the car(atleast in the rear).
The 4X4 version has badging all over.
Check the below video:
Old 2nd December 2014, 22:13   #8302
Senior - BHPian

Adding another video of 4x4. One can clearly see both front and rear wheel in action. Where as in the video posted by coolboy007 one can clearly see the rear wheel is inactive. This is a clear indication 4x2.

Last edited by PrideRed : 2nd December 2014 at 22:14.
Old 2nd December 2014, 22:34   #8303
Senior - BHPian

You can read the comments in that video, the tv channel who published this video have themselves stated its a 2WD version , only the front wheels are spinning.

Surprised that it was able to to so much without being a 4WD version, the short wheelbase and not so high kerb weight must have helped the car not getting stuck any where.
Old 3rd December 2014, 00:05   #8304
BHPian

With regard to the video posted by coolboy007, at 2.47 the caption says 'Ford Ecosport in 4x4' and a little later at 3.40 the rear wheels are spinning while the front wheel is static/skidding. Later on, it shows the front wheels spinning while the rear wheel is static while suspended in the air for a short time. Towards the end of the video, the driver is explaining the Apple app which gives instructions on driving the Ecosport in 4x4 mode.

I may be wrong here but I think this is a 4x4. Consider this, in the first instance the front wheels are in contact with the ground and so are the rear wheels. The vehicle is entering a ditch/nullah. What makes the front wheels static/skid while the rear wheels are spinning - brakes? But then shouldn't all four wheels have locked up? In the second instance, the front wheels are spinning while in contact with the ground while one of the rear wheels, which is suspended in the air, stops spinning. The other rear wheel is still spinning, mind you! I read somewhere that the rear differential in some 4x4 vehicles can gauge which wheel needs more torque and distribute the power accordingly. Could this be a possibility in this scenario?

Looking forward to your comments.
Old 3rd December 2014, 10:42   #8305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookieraj View Post
With regard to the video posted by coolboy007, at 2.47 the caption says 'Ford Ecosport in 4x4' and a little later at 3.40 the rear wheels are spinning while the front wheel is static/skidding. Later on, it shows the front wheels spinning while the rear wheel is static while suspended in the air for a short time. Towards the end of the video, the driver is explaining the Apple app which gives instructions on driving the Ecosport in 4x4 mode.

I may be wrong here but I think this is a 4x4. Consider this, in the first instance the front wheels are in contact with the ground and so are the rear wheels. The vehicle is entering a ditch/nullah. What makes the front wheels static/skid while the rear wheels are spinning - brakes? But then shouldn't all four wheels have locked up? In the second instance, the front wheels are spinning while in contact with the ground while one of the rear wheels, which is suspended in the air, stops spinning. The other rear wheel is still spinning, mind you! I read somewhere that the rear differential in some 4x4 vehicles can gauge which wheel needs more torque and distribute the power accordingly. Could this be a possibility in this scenario?

Looking forward to your comments.
I downloded the video link given by coolboy007 and saw it a couple of times. Looks like it is a 1L ecoboost that is shown in the opening sequences. (regn, no. is wvx --). Later on in the offroad sequence the regn no. is EV922YS. So definitely 2 different cars of the same color!

Now to determine if the car doing the off roading was a AWD model. At 5:00 & 5:40 the rear of the car is visible. It looks more like a twist beam suspension. The lower control arm of the AWD version is missing.

2nd. point. The review website is Italian. I checked up the italian website of Ford. They have 1.0L Ecoboost, 1.5L Petrol & 1.5L diesel, all with manual gearboxes. No mention of AWD in any of the 3 variants. The selector/configuration tool shows EBA, EBD, ESC & TCS available for all the models.

So obviously the vehicle tested is a 2wd version. And the wheel spinning & locking patterns seem to be more or less consistent with how TCS & ESC would kick in.

Easiest way for conformation would be if one of our members, who has an AT model, could take the vehicle out for a spin on a similar mud track!
sridhar-v is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 13:47   #8306
BHPian

Quote:
I doubt. First in the introduction it is shown as 1.0 Ecoboost. AFAIK 4x4 is available only in 2.0 L version.
There is no badging of 4x4 in the car(atleast in the rear).
The 4X4 version has badging all over.
Quote:
Adding another video of 4x4. One can clearly see both front and rear wheel in action. Where as in the video posted by coolboy007 one can clearly see the rear wheel is inactive. This is a clear indication 4x2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
I downloded the video link given by coolboy007 and saw it a couple of times. Looks like it is a 1L ecoboost that is shown in the opening sequences. (regn, no. is wvx --). Later on in the offroad sequence the regn no. is EV922YS. So definitely 2 different cars of the same color!

Now to determine if the car doing the off roading was a AWD model. At 5:00 & 5:40 the rear of the car is visible. It looks more like a twist beam suspension. The lower control arm of the AWD version is missing.

2nd. point. The review website is Italian. I checked up the italian website of Ford. They have 1.0L Ecoboost, 1.5L Petrol & 1.5L diesel, all with manual gearboxes. No mention of AWD in any of the 3 variants. The selector/configuration tool shows EBA, EBD, ESC & TCS available for all the models.

So obviously the vehicle tested is a 2wd version. And the wheel spinning & locking patterns seem to be more or less consistent with how TCS & ESC would kick in.

Easiest way for conformation would be if one of our members, who has an AT model, could take the vehicle out for a spin on a similar mud track!
Guys see the video at 2:46 minutes mark. Its clear that they used a 4wd version for this part of the shoot. The 1st part was of 1.0l ecoboost and for the off roading part they used 4x4.
sidenzo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 15:28   #8307
Senior - BHPian

While I'd love to believe that it was a 2WD in that video (and that my vehicle is capable of doing all that), I'm beginning to feel that it is a 4WD. Having watched that video a couple of times, it grows on me that maybe there were 2 separate cars in that video (neatly edited of course). That is why I wish one of us here could understand the commentary.
Old 4th December 2014, 06:53   #8308
Senior - BHPian

Is there a price hike likely in January 2015? I am confused whether to buy now or to wait till January. Presently Ford has come out with a free gift offer.

Last edited by rajeev k : 4th December 2014 at 06:54.
Old 4th December 2014, 07:39   #8309
BHPian

The current tax structure will stay till march and expect the price to be same unless Ford individually hikes prices.
It's better to get a 2015 model than to pocket a small gift.
sunilg33 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 12:47   #8310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Is there a price hike likely in January 2015? I am confused whether to buy now or to wait till January. Presently Ford has come out with a free gift offer.
How does it really matter in getting a car which was manufactured in say Oct/Nov 2014 vs. the one manufactured in Jan 2015. But make sure that the car is registered in Jan 2015 so that will be known as 2015 model.

Not many know the difference between year of manufacturing vs year of registration. The latter is more considered in the resale market.
rki2007 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks