Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2016, 19:25   #1576
BHPian

Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Good evening Bhpians,

Just got my membership to TBHP approved a few minutes back and could not wait to have my first post.

I bought the New age XUV 500 W10 (named the beast - HUNTER) in march this year and first drive was bringing the beast home from Ahemdabad to Payyanur (kerala) after taking delivery. Total of 1769km drive was awesome and it was very difficult to keep the hunter under 80kmph during run-in period.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_4754.jpg  

singh.saab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2016, 20:14   #1577
BHPian

Team got my beast home today. Have driven a lot of cars but will have to sharpen my skills to manoeuvre this in a city like Mumbai.

Any guidance on running in the beast would be appreciated. It's done 115km as of now and limiting the RPM's to 2200 max that too during gear shift from 1,2&3. Max speed has been limited to 80 but couldn't control and had 2 bursts of 100kmph on palm beach road. Hope that's ok?
Old 3rd July 2016, 20:27   #1578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e4gleeyez View Post
Team got my beast home today. Have driven a lot of cars but will have to sharpen my skills to manoeuvre this in a city like Mumbai.

Any guidance on running in the beast would be appreciated. It's done 115km as of now and limiting the RPM's to 2200 max that too during gear shift from 1,2&3. Max speed has been limited to 80 but couldn't control and had 2 bursts of 100kmph on palm beach road. Hope that's ok?
Its actually good to rev the engine once a while during the running period, So don't worry, Just don't drive in a pedal to metal fashion, Take it easy, Gradually increase the RPM as you keep clocking the kms.
Old 3rd July 2016, 23:31   #1579
Senior - BHPian

A question to the W10 owners, Does the driver's power seat go back in one touch? For instance do we just have to press the button backwards once and the seat would keep on going back till we push the button backwards again? I don't remember how is used to work since the day i got it, But i feel the button on my seat is a bit jammed or does it just work like that?

EDIT: Sorry for the back to back post, The time for editing my previous post had passed by.

Last edited by Tanveer_2558 : 3rd July 2016 at 23:31. Reason: Adding content
Old 4th July 2016, 06:17   #1580
BHPian

Guys, got my W6 (manual) in its orange avatar in May and have clocked just over 1700kms. With the humungous power at my disposal, it is really difficult to control the heavy foot driving. I have tried to keep the revs under 2500 mostly except for the rare bursts. Just wanted to understand if the run in period is to go upto the first service at 5000 km our could be lower. 5000 appears to be too much wait for a car that has all the ability to accelerate in almost all 6 gears. Please advice.
Old 4th July 2016, 07:19   #1581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelator View Post
Just wanted to understand if the run in period is to go upto the first service at 5000 km our could be lower. 5000 appears to be too much wait for a car that has all the ability to accelerate in almost all 6 gears. Please advice.
The run in period for XUV is only 1000kms as per the manual.
Old 4th July 2016, 13:09   #1582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelator View Post
Guys, got my W6 (manual) in its orange avatar in May and have clocked just over 1700kms. With the humungous power at my disposal, it is really difficult to control the heavy foot driving. I have tried to keep the revs under 2500 mostly except for the rare bursts. Just wanted to understand if the run in period is to go upto the first service at 5000 km our could be lower. 5000 appears to be too much wait for a car that has all the ability to accelerate in almost all 6 gears. Please advice.

This is exactly the predicament in my mind. I just completed 1000 kms yesterday and believe that engines nowadays with superior technology don't really need that much of a running in and like everyone just to be on safe side have followed the 1000 kms break in period which should be more than enough . I did Rev upto 2.5k rpm at times.
Have come to Nbs workshop due to following doubts/ niggles and Jobs requested are
-Left side pulling issue
-Underbody anti rust coating to complete untreated areas
-Chick chick sound front suspension
-wiper motor noise
-wiper blades quality
-update personal information in ice
Old 4th July 2016, 13:24   #1583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
A question to the W10 owners, Does the driver's power seat go back in one touch? For instance do we just have to press the button backwards once and the seat would keep on going back till we push the button backwards again? I don't remember how is used to work since the day i got it, But i feel the button on my seat is a bit jammed or does it just work like that?

EDIT: Sorry for the back to back post, The time for editing my previous post had passed by.

I am also observing this recently. It started after 30 K on my XUV and I am sure that it was not like that earlier.I have seen similar issue in reclining option as well.
Old 4th July 2016, 14:51   #1584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
I am also observing this recently. It started after 30 K on my XUV and I am sure that it was not like that earlier.I have seen similar issue in reclining option as well.

My xuv is too near 30k, 26500kms to be precise, Doesn't happen with me while reclining but surely happens while moving it forward and back, One touch and the seat doesnt stop unless you press it again, Even the button feel as changed a bit.
Old 5th July 2016, 19:08   #1585
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I finally got my membership approved recently and am very happy to be writing my first post.
Got my Moondust Silver XUV 500 W10 home on 1 April this year. It's been a thorough pleasure driving this beast around. Have already done a few of outside city trips and clocked about 3500 KMs so far. While I don't get to drive within the city much, as my office is close by, I do keep looking for opportunities to take the car out.
Nevertheless, I wanted to share some of my experiences so far and will be glad to obtain feedback and comments! Please excuse any oversights as this is my first attempt!

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_20160330_183727196-v2.jpg2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_20160330_183730733-v2.jpg

1. Purchase and delivery

I had my eyes on this car for some time but the real tipping point was the year end discount during the March period as well as the fact that the new 1.99 L option had started selling in the NCR region. I took the test drive and was quite happy with the experience and handling, putting to rest any apprehensions due to the smaller engine. The car felt peppy and quite responsive. Indeed, the experience continues after the delivery as well. I went ahead and made the booking around 20th March.
The dealer's team (Sterling Mahindra, Gurgaon) were quick to inform me that they have a W10 available and since the payment was already done to them as the car is on company lease, it was ready to be picked up. But I decided to take the delivery only upon final registration at RTO. On 30th March, I went for a PDI and with the help of the checklists available on TBHP, did a thorough inspection of the car. To my disappointment, I noticed a few defects.

- Front passenger window glass: There was a deformity on the top edge of the window glass (refer pic) and some sort of wavy haziness on the side of the glass (couldn't be captured in a pic) which wouldn't go with any sort of cleaning and wiping. Both of these clearly seemed to be manufacturing defects which had missed the dealer's inspection.

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img20160330wa0005.jpg

- the other two were clearly due to mishandling. One was a damage to the rubber gasket near the rear door as if it had been scratched against something (refer pic). And the other one was on the inside panels near front passenger seating. Again, as if scratched against something.

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img20160330wa0004.jpg
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img20160330wa0006.jpg2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img20160330wa0007.jpg

I was very disappointed due to these and since I had paid all the money and they had booked the car against my name, I didn't really have an option other than getting these replaced. After a lot of arguments with the dealer, we agreed to have these replaced on first service (free of cost to me) as I wasn't keen on letting the mechanics get their hands on a brand new car, especially to remove and refit the glass. A factory fit on any part cannot be matched by the service center.

Other than these aspects, everything else seemed to be fine and I took the beast home. I missed out on mentioning that I did get three accessories - a carrier, the side step and the rear bull guard. Sorry, I don't have a ready picture with these fitted to the car, but I hope to share one later.

Later I also noticed that someone had messed up the insurance policy as well. When I got it, I noticed that it incorrectly referenced 2.2 L as the engine capacity. Upon inquiring, I was informed that this was due to the insurance company not having the 1.99 L as an option in their system. This was truly unbelievable and on insisting, they have now obtained an endorsement on the policy which states the correct engine capacity. Phew!

2. Niggles

Like many BHPians have highlighted, while the car is a pleasure to drive, it isn't free of its niggles. In my short ownership tenure, I have come across a few already.

- Clanking noise from the front doors when the window glasses are down and the car goes over bumps. This has been highlighted in previous posts with a potential solution. I hope to get this rectified during the first service.
- Vibration of the gear when revving up on 4th gear at about 40 Kmph. Sometimes this results in the passenger glass also vibrating with noise. This has also been highlighted previously.
- Gear shift wasn't smooth in the first few days and moving from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st was a real task. There would always be some kind of slotting noise. Though this has gotten much easier now and I don't bother about it anymore.
- A 'thud-thud' kind of noise from the front tyres when going over potholes at medium speed. I read in one of the posts that this could be due to gas struts. But my theory is that this could be due to the panels covering the tyre cavity. If I hit the panels with hand on a stationary car, I can hear similar noise. I still need to investigate this more.
- Bluetooth issues. As mentioned by some members, this is a hit or a miss, especially on Android phones. I use a custom Rom on my phone and face similar issues, i.e., the voice doesn't come through from the car speakers while music is heard fine. I have a potential solution which I am trying out using an app and if anyone is interested I can share.
- Random reboots of the infotainment system when the car starts up. Have experienced this a few times, but doesn't really bother me much.

Well, that's about all I wanted to share in my first post. Thanks for reading. Hope you all find it useful. Now that I am a member after being a reader for so many years, I hope to contribute more! Cheers.
piyush1.a is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 11:26   #1586
BHPian

Hey guys so my silver cheetah 'Neb' completed 1000 kms on 1st July and to celebrate the milestone took her to the 3M store at Andheri east MIDC. Met Sameer there who is a really nice guy.
Following jobs were planned :
Silencer Coating
CR70 for front windshield
PPF for the mirrors and side door trims
All the work was promptly done and experience was good.
Next day while driving noticed bubbles on the screen. There was also a big scratch across the screen which may have been due to faulty film.
Neb was taken again to 3M care on 7th July where the staff cofirmed the issue because of mutiple bubble clusters. Within a week of applying the film same had to be removed
The reason could be (as discussed on whatsapp groups) due to rainy weather and almost zero sunlight, the film did not dry well and hence did not adhere to the screen properly. Best avoided in rainy season

Last edited by vinitbhavi : 9th July 2016 at 11:28.
vinitbhavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 18:33   #1587
BHPian

Had hired an XUV W6 the other day for a trip from Bangalore to Sri Kotilingeshwara Temple, about 100kms one way, drove for about 230 odd kms.

The Positive impressions:-
> The Engine is very impressive
> Found the handling just like my Swift, car like, easy to drive.
> Ride quality was very balanced, the odd bumps did let the shock penetrate through to the cabin though.
> Middle Row seats had tons of space.
> Excellent Torque, laden with 6 people and some luggage, the engine was pulling without effort.

The Negative Impressions:-
> Gearbox is too notchy for my liking.
> Terrible First Gear Ratio - Could not move beyond 15kmph without a gear change.
> Boot Space was a joke, I could only keep 3 umbrella's in the boot.

I don't know if I should go for the XUV, keeping in mind the boot space, the whole idea of hiring was to try the car.
Old 9th July 2016, 19:07   #1588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
I don't know if I should go for the XUV, keeping in mind the boot space, the whole idea of hiring was to try the car.
If you are planning to drive with all the three rows occupied, and with a lot of luggage as well, the XUV might not be for you. Even with a luggage carrier installed, there is only so much luggage that you can secure on the top. The other way would be to be a little creative- A few small suitcases on the top, and small items tucked away here and there between seats etc.

On a side note, went on a drive to Lepakshi in my XUV500, and my dad decided to sit in the last row, to try it out. He is 5'10, and he did not find it uncomfortable.
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 19:21   #1589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
If you are planning to drive with all the three rows occupied, and with a lot of luggage as well, the XUV might not be for you. Even with a luggage carrier installed, there is only so much luggage that you can secure on the top. The other way would be to be a little creative- A few small suitcases on the top, and small items tucked away here and there between seats etc.

On a side note, went on a drive to Lepakshi in my XUV500, and my dad decided to sit in the last row, to try it out. He is 5'10, and he did not find it uncomfortable.
Well, that's my reason for not opting for this car, after spending close to 17 lacs for the vehicle (W6), the last thing I'd like to do is be creative to stash some needed luggage, and more than likely the car will be occupied by 6+ people of my family.

Loading things up on the top luggage carrier will affect the mileage too.
Old 9th July 2016, 19:54   #1590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
Well, that's my reason for not opting for this car, after spending close to 17 lacs for the vehicle (W6), the last thing I'd like to do is be creative to stash some needed luggage, and more than likely the car will be occupied by 6+ people of my family.

Loading things up on the top luggage carrier will affect the mileage too.
Hello Gearbox. my 2 cents. I own a XUV 500 w10 for almost 4 months now and have driven 4500kms which includes a marathon drive of 1650kms in two days. The best thing about XUV is the comfort it offers and the power it offers right from 1300 rpm. I don't think you can find all this ( a 7 seat configuration, butch look and a gem of a engine) in the below 20 lakh bracket.
singh.saab is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks