Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2018, 11:18   #2836
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekvidya View Post
Its normal - only comes in P and the gear indicator on the dash disables the light on the display "P" when you press it.
I rechecked my automatic gear lever. It does not make any "click" sound neither does the indicator "P" flashes while shifting out of "P"
Not sure which is normal.

Last edited by Wanderers : 21st February 2018 at 11:20.
Old 22nd February 2018, 00:59   #2837

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
I rechecked my automatic gear lever. It does not make any "click" sound neither does the indicator "P" flashes while shifting out of "P"
Not sure which is normal.
Don't press break pedal and then try to shift it out of "P".
Old 22nd February 2018, 02:18   #2838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunov11 View Post
Don't press break pedal and then try to shift it out of "P".
it happens even if you dont press the brake pedal
Old 22nd February 2018, 14:21   #2839
BHPian

One more glitch happened today. Opened car door in the morning the car started beeping like it does when u open the door when the engine is running. Then pilot parking won't work on reversing. It resolved after 3 car restarts. Very annoying though
Old 22nd February 2018, 20:35   #2840
Senior - BHPian

https://www.rushlane.com/ford-endeav...-12202918.html

Ford Endeavour broke the barricading wall and fell into the valley. They tumbled down for 400 feet, rolling multiple times on the way. Seeing this, the truck driver fled from the spot with his truck. Luckily, next few cars stopped and they got down to help.

Quote:
To everyone’s surprise, all 7 passengers of the car survived. Jitendra, his wife, three kids, a friend and driver – all are safe. They were taken to a nearby hospital in an ambulance, where they were treated for some minor injuries. Jitendra says that it was the solid built quality of his Ford Endeavour that saved him and his family. All six airbags had inflated to save occupants.
Wow! lucky, really lucky to survive such a fall. All of them probably on seat belts which is most important factor.
Surprise is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 21:02   #2841
BHPian

Today only I saw one news where all passengers in new gen Fortuner died due to a head on collision with a truck. Fortuner and Endeavour both has 7 airbags and almost similar safety features. Though the speed and impact would have created a difference between life and death.
roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 22:07   #2842
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Today only I saw one news where all passengers in new gen Fortuner died due to a head on collision with a truck. Fortuner and Endeavour both has 7 airbags and almost similar safety features. Though the speed and impact would have created a difference between life and death.
Can't really judge a crash that way. I was under the same impression until I read up more. But here's the difference:

- The fortuner seems to have been through a head on collision. Only the front has tried to absorb all of the impact forces. In the Endeavour, the whole car's body absorbed the impact. The speed also seems to be much lower

- According to certain reports, the Fortuner passengers weren't belted up. This is the reason why 4 of them died maybe. Again, only pure speculation.

Both cars seem to have absorbed impacts very well. The number of casualties would have been less if the fortuner passengers had belted up. Truely, the Fortuner's crash was horrifying though. Looking at the car, it'd be difficult to tell that four souls lost their lives.

Last edited by vishy76 : 22nd February 2018 at 22:10.
vishy76 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 22:16   #2843
Team-BHP Support

Perhaps we can discuss more on the subject in the Accident thread, there can be " N " reasons why some guys got lucky and came out unharmed and others perished, have a look at this Fortuner

https://www.rushlane.com/new-toyota-...-12193768.html

Quote:
the Fortuner passengers weren't belted up. This is the reason why 4 of them died maybe. Again, only pure speculation.
Looks a high-speed crash from the picture and since it was head-on, results are very different.

http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...ummit-5073466/

Last edited by Turbanator : 22nd February 2018 at 22:21.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 22:16   #2844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post

I really don’t think it is fair to compare the Fortuner’s crash and this one.

Both of them are different situations.

• According to news reports, the Fortuner was travelling on the wrong side and none of the passengers were belted up.

• In the Endeavour’s case, all passengers were belted up.

• The Speed of the cars and the force of the impact might be different, sometimes significantly.

• The Fortuner was involved in a head on crash while the Endeavour’s was a roll over.

• We don’t know how the Fortuner would have handled the roll over, maybe better than the Endeavour. Nor do we know how the Endeavour would have handled the high speed Head - On collision.

It would be fair to compare the two cases if the speeds of the cars were similiar or if they were involved in the same kind of collision, not when the situations are entirely different.

Anyways, hats off to the Endeavour’s build and safety which saved the lives of all the passengers on board. The Fortuner seems to have taken the impact quite well too. The passengers in the Fortuner might have been saved if they were buckled up.

However,I have one question: Airbags deploy only when the passengers are buckled up, right?
In the Fortuner’s case, how did the Airbags deploy if none of the passengers were buckled up?

Last edited by Prathiiik : 22nd February 2018 at 22:19.
Prathiiik is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 01:13   #2845
BHPian

I have been in front end collision in a fortuner (old model) at the speed of 30 kmh. It was not a good sight. I did not have any injuries but the airbags didn't deploy. The car was totally mangled from front. The dashboard all shaken and moved from original position. Then there was one where a motorcycle came wrong way into the car. Toyota uses a very light steel for the car. The steel should be a bit heavier to take the impact better and crumble with some strength rather than crumble like paper on slow speed and light hits. The fender steel is light enough to bend on being pulled by fender mirror
V12Doc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 10:45   #2846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prathiiik View Post
However,I have one question: Airbags deploy only when the passengers are buckled up, right?
In the Fortuner’s case, how did the Airbags deploy if none of the passengers were buckled up?
The airbag will deploy as long as an occupant is detected. Seatbelt sensors will only affect the deployment severity of a multi-stage airbag system.
There are design variations among automakers, but all modern cars will sense seat occupancy and weight to avoid airbag deployment injury to small children, small adults, and infant seat occupants.
The airbag will deploy at full inflation force if it detects an unbelted average adult. However, if it detects a light weight occupant such as a young child, its algorithm might deploy at reduced force or may not deploy the airbag at all depending on its design threshold, and whether the belt is used to avoid injuries caused by the airbag.
If you notice, the old Fortuner didn’t have a seatbelt warning chime even if the passenger wasn’t buckled up, but the new one does, because it has a load sensor on both the front seats.
I’ve lost a relative of mine travelling on the passenger seat of the old Fortuner without the seatbelt on, because TKML used to use the seatbelt as a confirmation method to check for airbag deployment in its previous generation vehicles.
AShubrah is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 12:15   #2847
BHPian

Old fortuner had seatbelt warning message if the seat was occupied and had load sensors. Just the chime wasn't there.
V12Doc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 16:01   #2848
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Doc View Post
Old fortuner had seatbelt warning message if the seat was occupied and had load sensors. Just the chime wasn't there.
And I know a Fortuner owner who kept a spare Seatbelt buckle to plug in and avoid the passenger wearing seatbelt for comfort.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 18:15   #2849
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

In the last three days, I test drove the Ford Endy 3.2 4x4 Auto, MUX 4WD Auto & Fortuner 4WD Automatic. These are my observations:

Soft Ride over bad surfaces: 1) MUX 2) Endy 3) Fortuner
Highway handling including very sharp Lane Changes: 1) Fortuner, 2) Endy, 3) MUX

The above is understandable since the more soft you make the suspension the worse highway/high speed handling becomes. Endy has managed to strike a reasonable balance here.

In terms of kit/Hardware 1) Endy 2) Fortuner 3) MUX.
Endy 3.2 blows the other two out of the water with the following advantages
a) Full Time 4WD with Center Differential.
b) Lockable Rear differential
c) Drive modes that modulate the power train
d) Sun Roof
e) Modern System with Sync 3 . Android Auto etc
f) Active Noise Cancellation
g) Front Parking Sensors

Third Row: 1) Fortuner, 2) MUX, 3) Endeavor
The Fortuner has the best third row in terms of access to Third row. The MUX is next. The Endy Third row is decent in terms of space, but the back rest is almost straight and the most annoying part is that the head rest is carved out of the back rest, so when you lift the headrest, there is a gaping hole just above your shoulder blade and is very uncomfortable. They should have definitely thought of a better way to integrate the headrest or just made the headrest removable. This hole in the seat was my major gripe with the Third row.

Mileage 1)Fortuner & MUX (tie) MID showed 8 kmpl in city. 2) Endeavor MID showed 6.6 kmpl in the city. These were obviously test drive vehicles and probably driven hard most of the time within city limits.

I must admit that I am a huge Toyota fan and always felt that Fortuner was a no-brainier, but I must say that these back to back test drives gave me a new perspective on the Endy. It is too much of a value to pass up on. From an off-roaders perspective, I would prefer to have a Full-Time 4WD any day over the part time system. I don't understand why Toyota Deleted the center differential in a new model. I suspect to keep the Prado a range above the Fortuner.

My only worry is that if I plan to keep for 10 years and will these Ford electronics last or should I just go with simple Tried and Tested Fortuner? Honestly the only irritant with the Endeavor for me was the 3rd Row access and 3rd row seat design. That and I hate beige interiors. Also the abysmal mileage given the huge engine. Other than these three things, I think Endy 3.2 Auto is the way to go. And this is from a die hard Toyota Fan

Last edited by 4x4addict : 23rd February 2018 at 18:24. Reason: typos
4x4addict is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 20:21   #2850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Honestly the only irritant with the Endeavor for me was the 3rd Row access and 3rd row seat design. That and I hate beige interiors. Also the abysmal mileage given the huge engine. Other than these three things, I think Endy 3.2 Auto is the way to go. And this is from a die hard Toyota Fan
Appreciate such comments coming from a Toyota fan. That ensures that we(read:owners) are sitting in a better and upmarket product that seems to be best in next class.

Regarding access to 3rd row there are two methods to get inside. In most of the video reviews the access mechanism used is not correct or say comfortable. While I had a test drive even I entered wrongly but later I analyzed it is better to use the other way. Basically you do not need to tumble the 2nd row flat rather use a clip provided on top of seat near head restraints to tumble it partially and then pushing it ahead. This can be done on either sides and certainly better than the other option where you have to squat completely. I know this is not on par with Toyota but certainly not a deal breaker for me at least.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks