Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2018, 18:10   #3091
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Reporting the first issue with my car, Sunroof malfunctioning. My sunroof has developed a strange problem where it is not closing with a single touch which used to happen earlier. It bounce back after closing to say 90% and it happens several times with a possible work around to press and hold the close button and release quickly when it is near to complete closure. Anyone else facing similar issue?
Old 23rd June 2018, 18:21   #3092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Reporting the first issue with my car, Sunroof malfunctioning. My sunroof has developed a strange problem where it is not closing with a single touch which used to happen earlier. It bounce back after closing to say 90% and it happens several times with a possible work around to press and hold the close button and release quickly when it is near to complete closure. Anyone else facing similar issue?
Please check the channels on which the sunroof slides for any obstructions. Open The sunroof and climb up and visually check if there any any foreign objects stuck in the channel. This behaviour could be the anti-pinch feature getting activated due to some debris stuck in the channel preventing smooth operation. It could also be due to very tight operation of the sliding mechanism in absence of lubrication in the channels. Don't use oil but a dry lubricant like a silicone spray in case this is due to lack of lubrication.
Traveler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2018, 21:56   #3093
BHPian

Quote:
The behaviour is consistent with the anti-pinch/"Bounce-Back" feature.

Quoting from the manual:
"The Moonroof will stop automatically and river some distance is an obstacle is detected while closing.
Touch and hold C within 2 seconds of a bounce-back event to override this function."

C refers to the sunshade open button.

This may be found on page 56 of the updated manual (17th June 2018) under the "Windows and Mirrors" section.

Doing what Traveler suggested should be a hassle-free (service-centre-trip-free) solution.

Edit: So I hope this means you still have a trouble free car so far?
Being a big fan of the vehicle, I've read this thread through twice, and made many notes, so I know yours was one of the first vehicles with Sync 3 + navigation and without headlamp washers - so I believe your vehicle is most representative of what's on sale today, and am therefore very interested in its reliability.
It just so happened that I was browsing the manual today, and had just read Windows and Mirrors section.

Cheers.

Last edited by Mu009 : 23rd June 2018 at 22:03. Reason: Explained above
Mu009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2018, 00:07   #3094
BHPian

Thanks Traveller and Mu009 will check for any obstacles or debris that might have stuck which is responsible for this strange behaviour. The good thing is I am able to close it without much efforts else it could have been a nightmare.

Great you read this thread twice and yes as you rightly pointed mine was the first with Sync3 and navigation. Absolutely zero complaints or issues regarding the functionality and capability of this vehicle driven 18k kms. Before finalizing Endeavour I also read Hexa, Fortuner, Endeavour, Trailblazer threads. It was an easy decision for me considering the valuable inputs from fellow tbhp members.

Last edited by roby_dk : 24th June 2018 at 00:08.
Old 24th June 2018, 21:51   #3095

Hello -

‘Wondering if anyone too has noticed or felt as this.
I took a test drive of the new Endeavour today.
The test drive vehicle was an August 2017 make , 3.2 AT and also I looked around a 3.2 AT display vehicle in the showroom of May 2018 make.
For any reasons, I felt that the heaviness of the door while closing or opening to be more pronounced in the 2017 make versus the 2018 one. The 2018 one felt lighter, relatively speaking.
I wanted to rule out any figments of my imagination and take some feedback or opinions. After the K-Truss episode reported in here ( which I reckon is still left unanswered by Ford), I hope Ford has not skimmed on the thickness of the sheet metal.
Thoughts?
VeeEight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 12:21   #3096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Traveller and Mu009 will check for any obstacles or debris that might have stuck which is responsible for this strange behaviour. The good thing is I am able to close it without much efforts else it could have been a nightmare.
Hi. You can also use a blower to blow out the dirt from the channel. Some are available for as low as 500 bucks on Amazon.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 12:54   #3097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeEight View Post
I wanted to rule out any figments of my imagination and take some feedback or opinions. After the K-Truss episode reported in here ( which I reckon is still left unanswered by Ford), I hope Ford has not skimmed on the thickness of the sheet metal.
Thoughts?
Thanks for sharing - helps potential buyers like me greatly.

However, all speculation aside, I can say this - given the low volumes in India and low localisation, it is unlikely that we are getting thinner sheet metal.
If Ford has made any changes to the sheet metal, I doubt any change (regardless of whether it is classified as skimping) would be restricted to India - it would be the same as Thailand/Australia.

That said, I sure hope that isn't the case - I like my sheet metal heavy, even though it may not mean anything for safety.

Last edited by Mu009 : 25th June 2018 at 12:54. Reason: Correction(s)
Old 25th June 2018, 16:58   #3098
BHPian

Quote:
I hope Ford has not skimmed on the thickness of the sheet metal.
Thoughts?
Had a look at the sale certificate (Form 21) of the MY17 (mine) and MY18 (belongs to a Senior BHPian) Endeavour - the Unladen weight for May 2017 manufactured Endeavour is mentioned as 2357 Kg and the same for April 2018 manufactured Endeavour is mentioned as 2394 Kg. On papers atleast, the newer one is heavier while in reality there are minor differences (read feature deletion) in the MY18 Endeavour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
However, all speculation aside, I can say this - given the low volumes in India and low localisation, it is unlikely that we are getting thinner sheet metal.
If Ford has made any changes to the sheet metal, I doubt any change (regardless of whether it is classified as skimping) would be restricted to India - it would be the same as Thailand/Australia.
For the low volumes of India, they went ahead and made changes to Chassis.
A.G. is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 17:29   #3099
BHPian

As far as I know, for the 3.2, the Trend model has a kerb weight of 2357 kg and the Titanium model weighs 2394 kg. Don't go by the form 21. There are several instances of minor mistakes in the form which eventually reflects in the RC book.
SCORPION is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 19:25   #3100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.G. View Post
For the low volumes of India, they went ahead and made changes to Chassis.
The last thing I want to do is stir up the controversy of a now closed thread (where both sides are apparently irreconcilable) in a different thread for no reason. But before I say what I want to, for what it is worth, if you check my posts out on that thread, I was firmly on "your side", if I might call it that. I was thoroughly disappointed by what you brought to Team BHP's notice. In the absence of any credible alternative to this brilliant machine, as of now, I can only hope that deletion won't make a difference, and have made my decision to buy it ASAP.

It is what it is. I don't want to restart a pointless debate on this thread, but say the above only to underscore the fact that I am not biased the other way when I say the following:

Ford have not made a change to the chassis just for India - they have simply used a chassis from different models of the same platform (with unknown ramifications), and are selling it across all models of the Indian Endeavour.

So in purely the context that cheapening of sheet metal/other parts is less likely to occur because of low volumes in India, the chassis "change" argument does not hold good.

Because unless they are selling 2 versions of sheet metal , it is unlikely to be different.

Quote:
On papers atleast, the newer one is heavier while in reality there are minor differences (read feature deletion) in the MY18 Endeavour
Also, could you elaborate on what features have been deleted since the Endeavour has been launched in India? I was only aware of the headlamp washers from the "first version" of the 2016 Endeavour being removed.
I would very much like to know what else has been removed since.

Last edited by Mu009 : 25th June 2018 at 19:33. Reason: Correction(s)
Old 25th June 2018, 19:42   #3101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
Also, could you elaborate on what features have been deleted since the Endeavour has been launched in India? I was only aware of the headlamp washers from the "first version" of the 2016 Endeavour being removed.
I would very much like to know what else has been removed since.
SD Card Reader has been removed too from the later versions as per some of the owners on this thread. Older model (mine is Mar/Apr 2016 manufacture) I have has one SD Card and 2 USB slots. From what I read here, the newer models have only USB slots.

Owners of newer models may please confirm.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 25th June 2018 at 19:44.
nareshtrao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 19:49   #3102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Owners of newer models may please confirm.
Correct I can confirm the SD slot is not present in my car but anyways USB is a better option than SD card anyday.
roby_dk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 23:11   #3103
BHPian

Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Hello -

For any reasons, I felt that the heaviness of the door while closing or opening to be more pronounced in the 2017 make versus the 2018 one. The 2018 one felt lighter, relatively speaking.

I wanted to rule out any figments of my imagination and take some feedback or opinions. I hope Ford has not skimmed on the thickness of the sheet metal.

Thoughts?

Here is a back of the envelope calculation
- assume steel density at 7700 kg/m^3
- assume 1 mm sheet thickness. That means a 1m^2 door (roughly about Endy door sheet metal area) weighs around 7.7 kg.
- Now how much do you think Ford would have reduced the thickness to. Let us say 0.8 mm. That is a 20% reduction. That is a weight difference of about 1.4 kg !
I do not think you can perceive that on a hanging door as heavy as Endy's.
From a business side, if you change the sheet metal thickness, you need new tooling(die). Steel mills will not accept anything less that a few 1000 tons of this new thickness. So summary is it will cost millions of USD to develop a new thickness just for India.
So the bottom line is. Ford has not changed the thickness nor do I think they changed the chassis. Your concern is pure speculation.
Czarcarsm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 23:41   #3104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcarsm View Post
So the bottom line is. Ford has not changed the thickness nor do I think they changed the chassis. Your concern is pure speculation.
Thank you - your response seems totally rational and definitely encouraging.
Old 26th June 2018, 08:36   #3105

Hello -

(I am not sure if this is the right thread to post my query)

I have almost decided to book an Endeavour 3.2.
Request fellow BHP’ians to help me with some candid assessments of JSP Ford and Cauvery Ford outlets in Bangalore, both from Sales and Post Sales Service perspective (primary concern for me). I have been used to Toyota and Hyundai ASS. Both have given me the peace of mind that I can trust new age vehicles to them for better care as also for their strong service network in quite remote places.

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks