Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2017, 12:39   #2026
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones View Post
How to check whether noise cancellation system is working on my endeavour or not?
1)Park on a busy street with windows rolled up.(key out of the ignition to make sure the active noise cancellation is not powered on)

2)Close your eyes and listen to all the noises trickling into the cabin (memorize this )

3)Switch on the ignition (now the noise cancellation system is active) and close eyes and listen again

4)Now continue keeping you eyes shut and remove keys to notice the difference .

I have tried this and it really works well
ecosport rules is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 12:49   #2027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
1)Park on a busy street with windows rolled up.(key out of the ignition to make sure the active noise cancellation is not powered on)

2)Close your eyes and listen to all the noises trickling into the cabin (memorize this )

3)Switch on the ignition (now the noise cancellation system is active) and close eyes and listen again

4)Now continue keeping you eyes shut and remove keys to notice the difference .

I have tried this and it really works well

Now an easier way. Go to app store, download a decibel meter or a nvh meter, install it and measure sounds. First with windows rolled down, second with windows rolled up and third with active noise cancellation on. It will give you solid data.
apachelongbow is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 12:55   #2028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Now an easier way. Go to app store, download a decibel meter or a nvh meter, install it and measure sounds. First with windows rolled down, second with windows rolled up and third with active noise cancellation on. It will give you solid data.
I had thought about this but never tried
Thanks for reminding,will try this soon.

Are these app based metres reliable?
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 13:24   #2029
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is there any fuse for it so that we can remove it and check?
Not sure drjones, since it is integrated with the audio system which is again connected to the infotainment system including MID, pulling out a fuse may not be a good idea. Easier to down the window a little and figure how the sound levels are outside, to confirm if the system is working.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 13:35   #2030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had thought about this but never tried
Thanks for reminding,will try this soon.

Are these app based metres reliable?
As much as the sensor on your phone. But for comparative purpose it fits the job. There is a Bosch nvh app for android which I use. It has a decibel meter and a nvh calculator. Seems quite useful to measure noise or the lack of it.
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 14:15   #2031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
In that case, why buy the Endy or any other BOF SUV at all? These SUVs are made for trail/offroad use and will not be as comfortable as, say, an MUV or a crossover.

I'm sure you've thought about this enough, but if I were you, I'd buy something else if I didn't need 4WD.
I need a macho looking SUV like my Safari if I am not getting those looks I don't have any reason to change as Safari is running absolutely fine. It is a 4x2 and I never felt I require the 4x4 feature any day in last 6 years. Now I want to move towards a more comfortable ride and AT transmission but at the same time don't want to loose on the looks and road presence. I see only two cars(Fortuner and Endeavour) which can provide similar looks around 35L and are safe bet also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post

Mileage continues to hover between 9-12.0 km per litre depending on the road, traffic, speed. AC is a chiller in the soaring summer temperatures.
Great. If it is between 9-12 I will be the most happiest person. I think it will depend on the driving style as well.

Quote:
I was initially skeptical about the usage of panoramic sunroof. But i find it useful. Children love seeing the stars in the night and they generally stay calm and sleep singing their rhymes on stars and skies.
Wow it is good that children are busy looking above. My 10 month old boy is restless inside Safari will keep on touching buttons,gear lever,steering and almost everything and is not ready to sit in 2nd row at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Will agree, do consider Innova Auto. It gets same Engine & Gearbox as they use in Fortuner. Don't compare it with Hexa.
Hello, I had a test drive of Hexa XTA few weeks back and trust me it is far better than Innova. The only problem which I felt with Hexa was it doesn't have that menacing looks like Endeavour or Fortuner.
It still has some MUVish looks and that was the only reason I moved to next segment.

No offence to the respected Innova owners. I don't think anyone in this world can convince me or my family for Innova. I will prefer to travel by public transport rather driving an Innova.

Quote:
Will be entirely up to you, if you are short of time and don't bother spending a couple of thousands here or there, just let HDFC guy do it for you. They will surely have some interest's but your overall experience will be better as you won't have to run for coordinating with your dealer & bank ( considering that you will go with HDFC and not Dealer Bank)
Thanks and yes I will be going with HDFC bank only. Not exactly short on time but planning to take delivery on 16-May-2017, my baby's 1st birthday.
roby_dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 14:55   #2032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I checked the technical literature again. Active Noise Cancellation is "ON" only when the music system is on - as this is a feature of the music player. It is not active otherwise when the car is running.

Happy to be corrected in case I am wrong but this is what I gathered after reading all the stuff around on SYNC2/SYNC3.

Nowhere I found data/write up to support that Active Noise Cancellation works otherwise too when the engine is running. I could be wrong but for some reason I just could not find any material to the contrary.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 10th April 2017 at 15:00.
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 16:01   #2033
BANNED

Quote:
How to check whether noise cancellation system is working on my endeavour or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If you drive on good roads at about 100 kmph, you will know if it is working or not. The car would not have the typical tyre and engine noise and more of "woosh" kind of aquastics inside. As best as i can explain this

Not sure if this helps but found this while browsing on the noise cancellation. Quoting the relevant bits from the article:

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-411_interaction_atrjul16_5.jpg

Quote:
Ford, however, went a step ahead on the new Endeavour, which was launched in India recently. Ford engineers have used Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) technology in this vehicle to make the cabin quieter than what is possible by using conventional technology. In an exclusive interaction, we spoke to Chris Billman, NVH Engineering Manager, Ford Motor Company.

TECHNOLOGY WITHIN

Explaining the configuration of ANC, Billman told us there are three microphones mounted in the Endeavour's interior headliner – two over the first seating row and one over the rear, to detect and measure background noise. The ANC module then creates opposing sound waves to counteract it, helping to provide a comfortable and quiet cabin experience for Endeavour occupants.

The ANC system is capable of countering background noise in the cabin within a range of 30 Hz to 180 Hz. Being a real-time system, the ANC continuously detects and immediately generates opposing sound waves, translating into a consistently quiet cabin at all times.

When asked up to what level the ANC can reduce noise inside the cabin, Billman said the system is capable of reducing overall noise by up to three decibels. However, for the frequency range of interest, the system can reduce unwanted background noise anywhere between 5 and 15 decibels. As a result, the overall effect is a more linear sound from the powertrain as the engine revs increase, creating a more comfortable and quiet cabin experience for the vehicle's occupants.
SOURCE: http://autotechreview.com/news/item/...planation.html
a4anurag is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 17:18   #2034
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I need a macho looking SUV.. It is a 4x2 and I never felt I require the 4x4 feature any day in last 6 years. Now I want to move towards a more comfortable ride and AT transmission but at the same time don't want to loose on the looks and road presence. I see only two cars(Fortuner and Endeavour) which can provide similar looks around 35L and are safe bet also.
I will suggest you visit Toyota dealership again, they should have 4x2 AT variant. Somehow I feel you will be better with Toyota once you ignore few interior things. Don't forget new Fortuner has more bling things like LED Head & Tail Lamps as well Start Stop - show these to your better half and am sure she will stop looking at that poorly finished headliner
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 19:09   #2035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I will suggest you visit Toyota dealership again, they should have 4x2 AT variant. Somehow I feel you will be better with Toyota once you ignore few interior things. Don't forget new Fortuner has more bling things like LED Head & Tail Lamps as well Start Stop - show these to your better half and am sure she will stop looking at that poorly finished headliner
Thanks for the suggestion. Yesterday I with my wife and her parents went to check both Fortuner and Endeavour. I am quite happy and satisfied that I am not the only one who found Fortuner having extremely bad interiors and overpriced.

Few Observations:
- I agree that front and rear lamps are better in Fortuner but I am fine with Endeavour too. Fog light need to be upgraded to white in both.
- Ingress and egress to 3rd row in both is nearly same and I felt lesser headroom in Fortuner with my head almost touching roof in last row.
- I didn’t like the 3rd row folding mechanism in Fortuner it is not flat floor if folded in front and if tumbled sideways doesn’t look neat.
- No flat floor if 2nd row seats are tumbled down.
- How can I forget the front bonnet doesn’t have struts? OMG this is even present in my 2011 Safari and the biggest turnoff for me at least.
- Yes I found the lights and few things to be better in Fortuner but I can’t ignore the long list of extra features I get in Endeavour and I found them more tempting.
- Basically we all didn’t found Fortuner to be VFM. Even after spending 38L on road price in Delhi, I can’t live with ugly interiors and cheap plastics.

I am not even interested in test drive of Fortuner as we will be going with 3.2 Titanium only.

Last edited by roby_dk : 10th April 2017 at 19:13.
roby_dk is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 21:39   #2036
Senior - BHPian

Guys one quick question on behalf of two friends

*Is the rear parcel tray (retractable type)available as an accessory with Ford ?(he wants to keep the last row folded down permanently)-(3.2 titanium)

*Can we reterofit an auto dimming Rear view mirror in a 2.2 trend model?(By ordering the part from the 3.2 titanium?)

Last edited by ecosport rules : 10th April 2017 at 21:40.
Old 11th April 2017, 00:03   #2037
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Not sure if this helps but found this while browsing on the noise cancellation. Quoting the relevant bits from the article:

Attachment 1628470

SOURCE: http://autotechreview.com/news/item/...planation.html
That Ford article on ANC (Active Noise Cancellation) may not be 100% accurate, it has some marketing talk and some misreporting.

Sound from outside the car takes the same amount of time to reach the driver's ear or to the ANC mic. Using mics to know what the actual cabin sound is and then create opposing wave, then send it out through speakers, just in time to reach the drivers ear, is just impossible, even with the fastest super-computer.

ANC maps the interior noise level as received from the mic, into various frequencies, then cancels just those frequencies. But those noise has to be constant like tyre noise, engine noise, body structure noise etc. It cannot be intermittent noise. If somebody claps, you will hear it, but if there a continuous noise at certain frequencies, ANC helps to reduce it.

ANC primarily cancels engine noise and its associated structure borne noise by sending opposing sound waves. Outside noise is cancelled by having good amount of sound insulation material. Endeavour has plenty of it. I have checked it myself.

ANC already knows the engine sound based on engine speed. Basically given an rpm it knows what opposing sound wave to produce. It also know what the body vibrations will be for the Endeavour body design. If you put the same ANC into a Figo, then ANC settings will be different since Figo's engine and body makes different sounds. When you press the accelerator, ANC knows, through ECU, what the new rpm is going to be and therefore what frequencies to cancel. It uses the mics for adjustments because, cabin sound varies slightly from car to car, humidity, temperature, number of occupants etc.

So how to know if ANC is working? My suggestion would be- tape some thick, heavy material over the 3 mics. Something like chapatti atta ! May be put a tape over the mic and stick some atta over it. Make sure no part of the mic is exposed. This way the mics are not able to measure the cabin noise. Go for a ride, preferably at quite times like late night. Then drive with the tapes and atta removed, exposing the mic. Do you feel any difference? I would think the engine noise might get cancelled in both cases but there should be some difference in cabin noise level. I wanted to try this myself but unfortunately I am on business travel starting today for 2 weeks.

Foot note: What is structure borne noise? while the engine is running, press your ear against the body panels. That sound you hear is the structure borne noise. Different parts of the car should give you different sounds. If not dampened, it can make the ride uncomfortable, tiresome, nauseating etc. Hence the importance of NVH and ANC running all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
I checked the technical literature again. Active Noise Cancellation is "ON" only when the music system is on - as this is a feature of the music player. It is not active otherwise when the car is running.

Happy to be corrected in case I am wrong but this is what I gathered after reading all the stuff around on SYNC2/SYNC3.

Nowhere I found data/write up to support that Active Noise Cancellation works otherwise too when the engine is running. I could be wrong but for some reason I just could not find any material to the contrary.
The way I understood it is, ANC is "ON" even if the music system is "OFF". Speakers are continuing to producing opposing sound waves.
With the music system "ON", the opposing waves are 'embedded' into the music sound waves.

Last edited by Czarcarsm : 11th April 2017 at 00:08.
Czarcarsm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 09:59   #2038
BHPian

Quote:

*Is the rear parcel tray (retractable type)available as an accessory with Ford ?(he wants to keep the last row folded down permanently)-(3.2 titanium)
I found the cargo liner in the ford official accessories list when I was searching for something else. Price Rs 11,379/- (as mentioned on the website). Here is the link for same :

https://www.india.ford.com/suvs/ende...overlay-8.html

I am not very sure whether its available with local ford showrooms or not. I was initially interested in the "Nudge bar", but after thinking over it for a while decided to go for a proper Bull Bar from Ironman once I am ready
harsha.muvva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 11:48   #2039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
I found the cargo liner in the ford official accessories list when I was searching for something else. Price Rs 11,379/- (as mentioned on the website). Here is the link for same :

https://www.india.ford.com/suvs/ende...overlay-8.html

I am not very sure whether its available with local ford showrooms or not. I was initially interested in the "Nudge bar", but after thinking over it for a while decided to go for a proper Bull Bar from Ironman once I am ready
Thanks Harsha
How is your ride doing?
Any update on the extended warranty?

I think ARB and Rhinorack have already made bullbars for the New Endeavour
They have a socket to socket extentions for the front sensors too

Last edited by ecosport rules : 11th April 2017 at 11:50.
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 14:04   #2040
BHPian

Quote:

Yes its official accessories for new Endeavour.
I bought one for Rs.11,020/- (5% discount over MRP), although I am yet to collect it as store was closed at time of delivery (8:30 PM)

I also want to keep my last row folded and keep luggage out of sight. (Visible cargo was one of the major reason for not stopping overnight during long distance travel by Toyota Fortuner.)

Checked Alibaba and Ebay option as well. All are charging approx 10K (including delivery) and hence decided to stick to FORD as from what i could see in photographs, FORD accessories looked better fit and finish.

Quote:

*Can we reterofit an auto dimming Rear view mirror in a 2.2 trend model?(By ordering the part from the 3.2 titanium?)
Auto dimming rear view mirrors are available on Alibaba express. You need to do the cabling from fuse box or 12 V power supply socket. You can have common cable for Mobile, GPS and auto dim mirror.
Also you can take the tapping from cabin lights connector.

Not sure if FORD has provided auto dim mirror connecting point in cabin light box. In that case a spare auto dim mirror can be ordered.

Last edited by Wanderers : 11th April 2017 at 14:08.
Wanderers is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks